Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 29-08-2010, 08:38 PM   #1
zdcol71
zdcol71

Default where's your sibling

I am just reading page 4 of the Sunday Mail (Qld) paper, there is an article about a crackdown on drinking ,(in public, to excess.. whatever) and there are 3 or 4 photos accompanying the article. 3 at least show a male assisting a female to her feet or holding her up to walk along a street/ mall somehow. 2 actually show the young women spread legged, in public with all and sundry either casting opinions about them or looking on with fiegned indignation or mute smugness about the state these people find themselves in.
Here's my question, where are these peoples brothers?? Why is this such a non news worthy ,page 4 story. I am sure if you see these pictures ,it will generate enough debate that it will negate the need for any more information from me, but I would want to say one thing......Come on guys,... look after your women.
And at the risk of being accused of anything,... come on girls, look after your guys!!!

Old 29-08-2010, 08:52 PM   #2
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would imagine if they are legally allowed to drink, then they should be legally allowed to make their own decisions. How will they learn from their mistakes if your always holding their hand.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2010, 10:15 PM   #3
Kryton

Why is it a page 4 story......... why is it a story in the paper to start with.
Alcohol education starts at home, not when your hung over the next morning.
If you, or anyone else wants to drink themselves stupid - thats your own problem.
Why should anyone in society, whether it be a stranger, or your brother or sister, have to hold your hand for you.
Really getting sick of the "I dont need to be responsible for my own actions" population that is currently breeding.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2010, 10:22 PM   #4
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Slow news day in Brisneyland, eh?
Old 29-08-2010, 10:28 PM   #5
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So the increasing alcohol problem and related violence isnt news worthy?

Tell that to the Police, Ambos and Hospital Staff who deal with it...

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2010, 10:42 PM   #6
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
So the increasing alcohol problem and related violence isnt news worthy?

Tell that to the Police, Ambos and Hospital Staff who deal with it...
The OP (and for all we know the article) said nothing about Alcohol related violence.

It simply mentioned something that happens in hundreds of towns and is becoming too common. Had the paper written an article on the problems severe drinking causes then it might have been worth printing.
But that would mean a journo would actually have to do some legwork as well as thinking, instead of just going down to the local nightspot with a camera.

An article on the after effects of a big night out might have been newsworthy. Photo's of drunks are not.
Old 29-08-2010, 10:43 PM   #7
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdcol71
I am just reading page 4 of the Sunday Mail (Qld) paper, there is an article about a crackdown on drinking ,(in public, to excess.. whatever) and there are 3 or 4 photos accompanying the article. 3 at least show a male assisting a female to her feet or holding her up to walk along a street/ mall somehow. 2 actually show the young women spread legged, in public with all and sundry either casting opinions about them or looking on with fiegned indignation or mute smugness about the state these people find themselves in.
Here's my question, where are these peoples brothers?? Why is this such a non news worthy ,page 4 story. I am sure if you see these pictures ,it will generate enough debate that it will negate the need for any more information from me, but I would want to say one thing......Come on guys,... look after your women.
And at the risk of being accused of anything,... come on girls, look after your guys!!!
Was big news in 2008 if I remember rightly, every damn essay in English was on binge drinking articles found in the news papers.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2010, 10:56 PM   #8
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

No one cares about articles like this up here anymore; it's almost like theres a similar story in the papers/TV/Radio every week. Glassings, Assult GBH, One punch kills.

Seemingly the Qld Govt didn't give a toss until a report caused them to act today. Can't imagine how much revenue she'll loose..............poor thing!

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2010, 11:22 PM   #9
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/q...-1225911267142

Quote:
A MAJOR overhaul of Queensland's drinking culture will be spearheaded by a massive police blitz on new designated pub and club zones across the state.

The Bligh Government's response to the year-long inquiry into alcohol-fuelled violence will also allow police to exclude troublemakers from so-called Drink Safe Precincts, where partygoers will enjoy new special safe zones.

Pubs and clubs will be forced to offer free drinking water to patrons, while the proliferation of controversial ID scanners at licensed venues has also won formal support.

But the Government has decided not to implement controversial recommendations by a parliamentary committee to change the lockout currently 3am or wind back trading hours for licensed venues and bottleshops (now 7am-midnight).

Police numbers will be increased during peak periods from 143 to 199 officers in the three initial designated party precincts in Brisbane's Fortitude Valley, the Gold Coast and Townsville, after the success of similar crackdowns last summer.....
They havent acted soon enough.... and they havet bothered to change closing times.
Wont solve anything

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2010, 01:31 AM   #10
Mickxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnout
No one cares about articles like this up here anymore; it's almost like theres a similar story in the papers/TV/Radio every week. Glassings, Assult GBH, One punch kills.

Seemingly the Qld Govt didn't give a toss until a report caused them to act today. Can't imagine how much revenue she'll loose..............poor thing!
we get the same over here.(wa). (google perth news.com. i dont want to start ranting on here. )
Old 30-08-2010, 09:14 AM   #11
zdcol71
zdcol71

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
The OP (and for all we know the article) said nothing about Alcohol related violence.

It simply mentioned something that happens in hundreds of towns and is becoming too common. Had the paper written an article on the problems severe drinking causes then it might have been worth printing.
But that would mean a journo would actually have to do some legwork as well as thinking, instead of just going down to the local nightspot with a camera.

An article on the after effects of a big night out might have been newsworthy. Photo's of drunks are not.
The article actually does concern alcohol related violence,(the sub header is "DRINK COPS TO STAMP OUT VIOLENCE"), I didn't particularly want to focus on that side of the story, and there was also a large part of the article relating first hand a journos' conversations with said drunks in the Valley whilst breath testing them.
The article also touches on the serious social problems connected with alcohol abuse, but again this was not the main focus of my post.
There are others here who say that if these people are old enough to drink then they should take responsibility for themselves, and others who say alcohol education should start at home. When so many alcohol related studies, and drinking trends gathered from them, seem to rely on an age group that includes kids as young as 15, I would suggest that many of the people we see so often in the papers, news etc.are in fact not old enough to be drinking and are certainly getting no education from home.(particularly when you read that a large number of kids prime themselves at home to save money when they are out). Alcohol by its nature tends to rob a lot of people of sense enough to act with any amount of maturity, the very thing most of these eventual drunks would wish to be thought of as having.
So my point again is where are the brothers(and sisters, and mates, and of course, parents),looking out for each other to stop this?
Old 30-08-2010, 02:01 PM   #12
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

GenX/Y are usually small families. 1-2 kids, possibly up to 5-10 years difference between the siblings. Most people take responsibility for themselves or have friends with them to help look after each other. I don't know many people that actually go out for a drink with brothers/sisters, usually they come from a broken home if they do and have developed a really strong bond.

People need to take responsibility for themselves and their actions, rather than looking for a helping hand when you are too silly to make the right decisions in the first place.
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2010, 02:32 PM   #13
bingoTE50
Steve

Well the OP has made a valid point in a way. The question is do you know what your kid are up to and how are they conducting themselves in public .As a father of two teenage kids the best way to keep tabs is talk to them not at them . This has to start at a young age. I still make a point of everyday I come home from work i go to there bedrooms where they usually are and ask them how was their day , etc . Annoys them somedays but it keeps the dialogue going .
My parents didn't speak to me at all really and I ran amok , I would disappear for a week at a time during holidays and they did not blink a eye. sixteen,hitchhiking and drinking, smoking etc ... amazingly here I am still..
bingoTE50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2010, 02:39 PM   #14
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdcol71
So my point again is where are the brothers(and sisters, and mates, and of course, parents),looking out for each other to stop this?
Seeing as most people move in circles that that follow the same lifestyle as themselves they're probably out drinking with them.

Remember that old saying -Your friends will get you out of gaol, but you best friend will in be there with you saying "Sheet, that was fun" !
Old 30-08-2010, 03:11 PM   #15
bingoTE50
Steve

I just re-read my post. How bad is my grammer....lol
bingoTE50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2010, 06:08 PM   #16
3vXT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingoTE50
I just re-read my post. How bad is my grammar?....lol

Pretty bad.
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post