Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 16-08-2010, 08:59 PM   #1
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Default VCT Timing chain cover removal

Just a quick question, I need to remove the timing chain cover from the Fairlane as it's leaking and just killed the alternator. The gasket needs replacing so is there anything I need to know or is it just a straight forward procedure of start at the radiator and just keep removing bits in sequence till the cover is able to be slipped off the front? Do I need any special puller to get the harmonic balancer off or is it just a bolt on item? I need to have this done ASAP cos it needs it's pink slip by the end of the week so any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2010, 09:56 PM   #2
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i did my harmonic seal l some time ago and needed a puller, the one i had was ill fitting but eventually did the job, in hind sight i could have gone to a dealer 10 minutes away and maybe borrowed or hired the correct puller to make the job easier, perhaps some one here might have details of the correct item.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2010, 03:39 AM   #3
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

any updates?
Old 26-08-2010, 09:18 AM   #4
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Hi mik, update is that it turns out it may well be the power steering pump not the timing cover (thank god,lol). Once I found out I'd either have to drop the sump off completely or pull the head to change the gasket I wasn't looking forward to having to do the job at all. Major headache either way as I don't have a workshop or pit or even a slab of concrete to work on where I am so any work under the car is problematic at best. I've cleaned everything down and can't find evidence of a gasket leak so I fitted a new alternator and will keep an eye on where the oil might be coming from and replace the pump or the gasket later. I'm putting my money on it being the pump as about 4 months ago the pump emptied itself mysteriously. I couldn't find a leak at the time and it hasn't lost a drop since it was topped up which is why I took the word of the Ford service manager that it was the timing cover gasket. Now I'm thinking that, as usual, the manager picked the most expensive and hardest problem to fix hoping maybe to get the job. Time will tell I guess but by the time the true issue shows itself I'll be back home in SA where my regular mechanic is if I need him. Right now I have to refit the repaired ABS module and go get the pink slip this morning so I can get the rego sorted. I'll be glad to get home to SA where I have better facilities to work on the cars I can tell you.

Cheers
Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2010, 09:25 AM   #5
tickfrd6

My timing cover has had a leak in it since I bought the car but has been reduced to a small leak now. I noticed that all the oil ends up onto the altenator so it still might be the timing cover. I was quoted from ford $460 to replace the cover and gasket as well as the fan belt. Which to me sounds like a not bad price.

Future mods:
19" staggered wheels
Clear side indicaters.

That is all
tickfrd6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2010, 01:24 PM   #6
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbasher
Hi mik, update is that it turns out it may well be the power steering pump not the timing cover (thank god,lol). Once I found out I'd either have to drop the sump off completely or pull the head to change the gasket I wasn't looking forward to having to do the job at all. Major headache either way as I don't have a workshop or pit or even a slab of concrete to work on where I am so any work under the car is problematic at best. I've cleaned everything down and can't find evidence of a gasket leak so I fitted a new alternator and will keep an eye on where the oil might be coming from and replace the pump or the gasket later. I'm putting my money on it being the pump as about 4 months ago the pump emptied itself mysteriously. I couldn't find a leak at the time and it hasn't lost a drop since it was topped up which is why I took the word of the Ford service manager that it was the timing cover gasket. Now I'm thinking that, as usual, the manager picked the most expensive and hardest problem to fix hoping maybe to get the job. Time will tell I guess but by the time the true issue shows itself I'll be back home in SA where my regular mechanic is if I need him. Right now I have to refit the repaired ABS module and go get the pink slip this morning so I can get the rego sorted. I'll be glad to get home to SA where I have better facilities to work on the cars I can tell you.

Cheers
Bushbasher
hopefully its only the pump,and good luck with the pink slip, i understand the driveway bit, i used to park the kw in the drive on the weekends( the concrete is fairly buggered).and its a most unpleasant place for car work now, my young brother is storeing an old supra in the garage at this time .

tickfrd6 My timing cover has had a leak in it since I bought the car but has been reduced to a small leak now. I noticed that all the oil ends up onto the altenator so it still might be the timing cover. I was quoted from ford $460 to replace the cover and gasket as well as the fan belt. Which to me sounds like a not bad price.

yep sounds ok too me too.