Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 13-08-2010, 12:48 AM   #1
Ride
Stay Classy ™

Default Where do these plugs go? T series ESS wiring

Some of you may know about my 5.6L conversion that I did late last year, along with the T series ESS gearbox. Well it's finally come to the stage where I need to get off my **** and wire it all in, and I've been having some difficulty.

I received the original wiring loom from the car the motor and gearbox came from, and have identified the 'modified' section of it that is relevant to the ESS switching. The plug on the end goes to the ESS button near the gear selector (or in my case, the ECON switch) but having trouble to find where the other plugs go.

There is two of each of these plugs, I've looked through all the Tech. Resources Wiring Diagrams, Connector diagrams and just can't match them up. Does anyone know where they go and what they plug in to?

Any help would be fantastic, it's the last thing I need to do in order for the ESS to finally work!

Andrew.

Ride is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-08-2010, 10:00 AM   #2
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

Can I be a smart *** and say each other?

What's the wire colours on each plug?

Cheers
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2010, 10:38 AM   #3
Ride
Stay Classy ™

Without a doubt :P I know they do plug into each other but it doesn't make sense for them to do so when they're on the same strand of wiring, they must piggyback to connectors that look exactly the same.

Here is a diagram to give more of an idea:

As I post this up, it has to be somewhere close to the ECU plug inside the car (kick panel on passenger side) as there's only 30cm of loom.
Old 13-08-2010, 10:44 AM   #4
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I've got some pics of T's stripped but on my way to appt so will have a look later for you
T3 TL50 #147 Silhouette Auto ESS - Brembos - Last of 3 in T3 spec, only AUIII TL50 ever built -14.2 sec @ 98mph bog stock. Only customer ordered T3 TL50 built, only LWB sedan plated AUIII and the last performance enhanced LWB sedan built by Ford Aust.

AUII Fairlane Ghia Sportsman 5.0L in Blue Pearl

OWN THE ROAD
FTe342 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2010, 10:59 AM   #5
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

Could they be for the "speedo box" (check t series wiring diagrams - cluster - electronic ratio box). It has 8 pins according to the diagram.

Or do you already know about and where it is.

Cheers
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2010, 01:17 PM   #6
Ride
Stay Classy ™

FTe342: If you could have a look that'd be great. I asked Jeff to see if he could find any of the plugs with the dash he still has but couldn't see anything that would match up.

superroo: Not exactly too sure what you mean by the speedo box or the electronic ratio box ... had a quick look at the wiring diagram but couldn't make too much sense of it.
Old 13-08-2010, 06:40 PM   #7
adrian k
adrian

it must be some connection to the buttons on the wheel, they could hook into the wires near the stereo instead of the volume buttons wiring??
T3 TS50 #17 275kW
AU3 XR8 SVP 220kW
adrian k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2010, 07:00 PM   #8
adrian k
adrian

just checked my service manual, i have some more wiring diagrams on wiring this all up, but i have had a couple beers and so cant make head or tail of them at the mo... i could scan and send them to you, but they are A3 so will have to be in two bits and you can cut and rejoin them.
T3 TS50 #17 275kW
AU3 XR8 SVP 220kW
adrian k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2010, 07:49 PM   #9
321Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by superroo
Can I be a smart *** and say each other?

What's the wire colours on each plug?

Cheers
Correct. The wire colours don't match but you are right.

Have a look at the pic attached to see which plug goes where. I have marked the plugs with coloured dots. Hope that's solved your issue.

Last edited by 321Go; 13-08-2010 at 07:55 PM.
321Go is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2010, 10:26 AM   #10
321Go

How did you go with the above Ride? Did you get the ESS working?
321Go is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2010, 03:50 PM   #11
Ride
Stay Classy ™

Quote:
Originally Posted by 870-cse
How did you go with the above Ride? Did you get the ESS working?
Haven't had the chance yet to solder the extra loom in yet but I did notice one thing, two of those four plugs aren't actually wired to the loom, the ends of them are just taped with elec tape and don't actually connect to anything at all. The only thing that it could be is there are resistors in the shirt pieces that the tech doc mentions.

I'm looking at some other avenues as well, and have a feeling my current ECU program might not be up to scratch so I'll be getting the TS50 ECU swapped in later this week.
Old 21-08-2010, 01:35 AM   #12
Ride
Stay Classy ™

So I've taken another look at the short pieces I mentioned previously, spliced them open and found a resistor in each, the info tallies with the T series supplement on the ESS system in the Tech. Resources section.

Big thanks to adrian k for his help with the wiring diagrams, if I have time tomorrow I might get into the car and have a poke around, see if I can start running the wiring in and join it all up.