Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-09-2005, 10:48 AM   #1
Black XR6
Formerly Black EX-R6

Default New Lancer Add

I just watched a new lancer add and at first I mistook it for a holden commodore add. It shows a male masculine looking driver who once the foot is planted gets sucked into his seat literally by the apparent power of the car. It then shows his GF sucked into her seat and other lancer drivers suffering the same condition.

Anybody else seen it? In my opinion I think this sort of advertising is pretty poor and actually damaging to the car economy generally. In my opinion car manufacturers are heading towards another media lead storm over the power of modern cars. All this does is add fuel to the eventual fire. Manufacturers should be advertising things like economy, features etc and let the stat readers choose based on power.

Thoughts?

Stinking, mongrel, dog.
Black XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2005, 07:08 PM   #2
BuuBox

Fear the 90kw ish 2 litre SOHC 4 eh.
BuuBox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2005, 07:16 PM   #3
MrQuan
Social Disaster

I laughed, I thought it was funny. You need to lighten up a bit, no?

3.73 LSD | Darkest legal tint | tinted back lights | Sprayed Dash | Custom Trims
Sound System:
Fusion front splits, rear 3-ways, and 2 x 12" subs with ctrl, 3 x Fusion amps | Clarion HU | 1F Cap | 60GB Zen Xtra | 800W RMS output!
MrQuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2005, 07:17 PM   #4
parawolf
beep beep

Yeah look not a bad advert... I went and looked up the mitsubishi website... They are making a EVO IX Wagon!!
Old 18-09-2005, 07:19 PM   #5
Mike Gayner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh yeah, god knows we all need a little more political correctness in our lives.

If the performance image doesn't appeal to you, fine. Don't buy the car. Advertisers shouldn't have to pander to pathetic polically correct whiney views like this just because a few morons might buy a Lancer and wrap it around a tree. It's only an advertisement. Get over it.

Personally I think the single coolest car ad I've seen (and I've only seen it once, it was probably taken off the air by people like you) went like this; You heard the rumble of a V8 engine and all you could see is white smoke. Slowly a car emerges from the smoke and instantly you can see the big chrome Holden badge, and a blue SS ute rolls towards the camera. At no point did it show the wheels spinning or anything, but it was pretty obvious that they were insinuating a big powerful V8 doing a burnout. Those sorts of commercials kick ***.
Mike Gayner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2005, 07:31 PM   #6
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its only a lancer and its just making the ad a bit more interesting even if its just good for a laugh. Once some marketing person doin a speech at my high school said often the lamest ads sell a lot of product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gayner
Personally I think the single coolest car ad I've seen (and I've only seen it once, it was probably taken off the air by people like you) went like this; You heard the rumble of a V8 engine and all you could see is white smoke. Slowly a car emerges from the smoke and instantly you can see the big chrome Holden badge, and a blue SS ute rolls towards the camera. At no point did it show the wheels spinning or anything, but it was pretty obvious that they were insinuating a big powerful V8 doing a burnout. Those sorts of commercials kick ***.
Yeah I know what ya mean about the Holden SS ads. Loved the crop circle one with the hothouse green VY ute and the thunderstruck one with the VU SS ute. They are by far the best ads out there IMO.
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2005, 07:49 PM   #7
TIRED6
A V8 salute to my DEATH

I loved the ford ute adds:

The one with toyota avalon cop cars - going for a run on the salt lake.
And the old one with a new AU pursuit pulling up next to a F1 and saying (must be stuck in second) just before it powers away.
TIRED6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2005, 07:58 PM   #8
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Oh yeah, god knows we all need a little more political correctness in our lives.

If the performance image doesn't appeal to you, fine. Don't buy the car. Advertisers shouldn't have to pander to pathetic polically correct whiney views like this just because a few morons might buy a Lancer and wrap it around a tree. It's only an advertisement. Get over it.
Too right. 'Black XR6' should go and join the likes of that pathetic Scruby bloke.

Personally I like the Nissan patrol ad where they were doing burnouts pulling each other on the end of a rope.
smoo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2005, 08:10 PM   #9
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Mike Gayner

Wouldnt the world be a better place if the people who thaught a lancer was a performance car did wrap it round a tree...?

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2005, 08:11 PM   #10
aimzes
...fairly odd

when it comes to lancer theyd be much better off showing off how economical it is rather than try and BS about its power.

i dont really have a problem with any car manufacturer showing cars getting the s**t flogged out of them.
Old 18-09-2005, 08:20 PM   #11
nb_351
building the xe...

that ad is bs...
if we advertised a typhoon, showing how much power it had...
it would be the end of the world...
but, cause it doesnt have any, its different rules...
that ad is "irresponsible" or whatever they call it, its like telling you that it has "power", so you go and try it out...
although you would be disappointed...
drove one friday... even manual, theyre gutless...
the evo is kickass though... still not as good as a 5spd xr6...
nb_351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2005, 08:25 PM   #12
Black XR6
Formerly Black EX-R6

Quote:

That add was made generally around the time that ford and holden had a gentlemans agreement fro what ive been told to stop advertising cars based on power. Holden obviously couldnt stop themselves for too long.

Stinking, mongrel, dog.
Old 18-09-2005, 08:26 PM   #13
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nb_351
that ad is "irresponsible" or whatever they call it, its like telling you that it has "power", so you go and try it out...
And there you go thats a reason why they make an ad like that. Some people would even drive away with a lancer.

There is no hope in the world of getting me to buy a lancer though. They look like crap and they go like crap.
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2005, 08:28 PM   #14
Black XR6
Formerly Black EX-R6

I should have expected such a response from a petrol head driven forum lol.

My point is these adds only pour fuel on the fire that is the media and public opinion. Dont think for a second adds like this wont be used as pawns in the end game when the time comes for the next media dummy spit.

Stinking, mongrel, dog.
Old 18-09-2005, 08:40 PM   #15
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I doubt public opinion could give a stuff to be honest, they didn't have a comment for the last 25 years on performance car advertising until some minorities came into play.

The biggest problem with this country is that we have the silent majority and the over-vocal minority, and unfortunatley for us, Harrold Scruby fits the vocal minority crowd.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2005, 08:56 PM   #16
Black XR6
Formerly Black EX-R6

Quote:
The biggest problem with this country is that we have the silent majority and the over-vocal minority, and unfortunatley for us, Harrold Scruby fits the vocal minority crowd.
Couldnt agree more. Thats just the way it is I guess.

Stinking, mongrel, dog.
Old 18-09-2005, 09:02 PM   #17
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When i watch an ad on Tv i will base my opinion on the merits of the commercial..... bloody hell holden was on a winner with the thunderstruck ad, because every time i saw it i wanted to buy one of those utes. And isnt that the purpose of advertising? Isnt the whole idea to excite someone into the purchase?(anyone ever worked in sales?) I dont think these forums are the place for people to come and scrutinise automotive advertising for advocating the reason why we get in and drive as enthusiasts. It only takes commonsense to know that a lancer aint going to shove you back in seat.... but its nice to think it will and that is why hairdressers and ricers will flock to dealers to buy these cars... because they make them "look" exciting..., come on black xr6 just settle a bit....
calais is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2005, 09:11 PM   #18
Mike Gayner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Who's this Harrold Scruby character?
Mike Gayner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2005, 09:29 PM   #19
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Who's this Harrold Scruby character?
Probably best described as being the complete opposite of passionate car enthusiasts.

A whinger that craves on forcing stupid ideals upon the population, anti car, pro pedestrian, I believe at one stage he wanted 40km/h speed limits throughout Sydney, hidden speed cameras, higher tax on v8s/4wds blah blah blah.

He's the self apointed CEO of his organisation, the pedestrian council, and for some god unknown reason drums up other minority supporters and gets the partial ear of the current labor party in NSW.

For his whismical conjecture, http://www.walk.com.au/pedestriancouncil/page.asp

Last edited by Dave_au; 18-09-2005 at 09:36 PM.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2005, 09:32 PM   #20
TIKFD6
Number 5 is alive!

The thing with that add is, that it just go'e to show how crappy and soft the Lancer seats are.
:P

Its not a bad add but.

"Experimental Racer" #6
1994 Gunmetal XG XR6 1997-1999
[B][COLOR=Red] 1994 Le Mans Red ED
2008 MA XR5 Mondeo

2015 VOLVO V60 T6 R-DESIGN-POLESTAR Enhanced

TIKFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2005, 07:13 AM   #21
lukez

I have not seen the add but I think they may be upgrading the engine. I think I read somewhere that they are putting in a 2.4L. Think I read it in the herald sun car guide the other week.
lukez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2005, 01:13 PM   #22
Cypher
Fiesta Zetec

Yeah, it now has the 2.4L Mivec engine, hence the performance theme of the adverts.

The lancer uses the 4G94 2378cc Mivec engine, while the Outlander uses the 4G96 engine. Suprisingly, the both have the same bore and stroke, and Mitsu claim 25% power increase over the old 2L engines for the Lancer. 115kw.

Last edited by Cypher; 19-09-2005 at 01:20 PM.
Cypher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2005, 01:29 PM   #23
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIKFD6
The thing with that add is, that it just go'e to show how crappy and soft the Lancer seats are.
:P

Its not a bad add but.
lol that's what I thought! At first the car looks/sounds like it's flying, & then you get to see the speedo hovering between 40 & 60 :

I guess if I was driving a stock lancer, I'd want to hide within the seat too, lest anybody sees me! (I hate lancers!)

We need less PC with regards to these ads. Or a written 0.5 sec disclaimer at the start of each ad stating that the manufacturer accepts to responsibility for idiotic driving/does not tolerate idiotic driving, etc etc.

-Dave-
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2005, 07:11 PM   #24
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

maybe one of the "hoons" why buys one of these alleged 60kph capable rockets might lose it when they are experiencing the g's the powerhouse can generate after watching the commercial and snap into scruby while he is walking on his way into another debate to rid our society of any moving object capable of moving faster than he can walk. Bah.... just the mention of his name makes the blood boil... anyone else sick of him?
calais is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2005, 07:24 PM   #25
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

I think the 2.4 mivec would go alright in one of them. Lol, classic how they make an effort of showing the speedo getting to 60. Let's hope it wasnt a 50 zone....

Also amusing how they can park the lancer next to the evo and maintain a straight face...
Old 20-09-2005, 12:29 PM   #26
hrtrip
I Hope Holden Dies

IMO all lancers are poo except for the evos. you couldnt pay me to drive one. and i'm really starting to get sick of all of the evo mock up lancers that cousin spiro drives with gonzo down chaple with the latest in 'fully shick bro' tunes. i'm not racist at all, it just seems that hotted up lancer drivers are turning into early commonwhore drivers, just my opinion tho

Icon Blue BFII Fairmont
Stock as a rock... :(
hrtrip is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2005, 03:44 PM   #27
Donut Queen
Back Seat Driver

Quote:

I'm more sick of people complaining about political correctness than I'm sick of political correctness itself now. It seems like every opinion gets screamed down with taunts about political correctness these days. Give the guy a break. He just has an opinion about the value of an ad and its effect on the public debate about the power of cars. Its a legitimite question. I don't particuarly want to hear your "whiney views" either btw.

I saw the ad last night and I thought it was stupid. I commented at the time that its just ridiculous to see heads pushed back through seats at about 40km/h. Worst car ad I've seen in a long time.
Great advice from Dogbreath_48 about selling a car: "umm..maybe edit your post a little bit. Leave out the bit about running over over your dog, remove the word 'sic', as well as the aformentioned washing/tidying!"
Donut Queen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2005, 05:07 PM   #28
MrSparkle
An Old Boss™©
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut Queen
I'm more sick of people complaining about political correctness than I'm sick of political correctness itself now.
... and I'm sick of people who are sick of people complaining about political correctness!!!!!!! :MrT_anim: :
Old 20-09-2005, 05:23 PM   #29
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrtrip
IMO all lancers are poo except for the evos.
Anyone ever been inside one? The interior is disappointing - feels SO SO SO povo. But i guess that's the cool thing about them. And by god, is the suspension ROUGH!!!!