Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-08-2008, 10:22 PM   #1
Scrotus
BFXR6T

Default eCar Insurance - Are they Cheap & Dirty? Or just Cheap?

Think ive read a post about this before but no one could say " yes im with them " or even better "yes ive made a claim"

I just did a quote and it is

$578.71
Car 07 xr6t
rating 1 - Age 25
Accidents in last year :1

AAMI quoted me $865
CGU $1070

Its cheap, but is it dirty?

Scrotus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2008, 10:27 PM   #2
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

I had the same result as you, something like $400.00pa for my XR8.

Whats the old saying? If it's seems too good to be true, it usually is.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2008, 10:45 PM   #3
Scrotus
BFXR6T

I just read the PDF and there is something that doesnt make sense;

"General Exclusions
We will not pay for the cost of, nor provide a service for:

6. a car that has been involved in or suffered damage as a consequence of an accident,
flood, theft, fire or malicious damage."

Does this mean prior to taking out insurance, would have to surely though its not worded that way.
Old 14-08-2008, 10:53 PM   #4
5StarUniforms

that means you bought the insurance for nothing
5StarUniforms is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2008, 06:00 AM   #5
Darkr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What do they pay out on then?

Are they a scam??
Old 15-08-2008, 08:00 AM   #6
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrotus
I just read the PDF and there is something that doesnt make sense;

"General Exclusions

6. a car that has been involved in or suffered damage as a consequence of an accident,

Does this mean prior to taking out insurance, would have to surely though its not worded that way.
Looks like you're taking out asteroid insurance. :P But I guess the insurance company would argue the intent of the asteroid and mark it under malicious damage. Hmmm, we have a conundrum.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2008, 08:09 AM   #7
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Does it mean a car that is previously damaged before you took out the insurance?
Old 17-08-2008, 01:32 PM   #8
Scrotus
BFXR6T

I think it must be tho its not really worded that well, and heading is General Exculsions. Not sure doesnt matter ill just pay the extra 300 and go with AAMI
Old 17-08-2008, 01:43 PM   #9
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

Their website looks sooooooooooooooo dodge...
charles_wif_xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2008, 09:16 PM   #10
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

Mate, do what i did with eBike, get a quote from them, then go to a better place that offers to beat other quotes

First eBike quoted me 450

then i went to QBE and they quoted 570, then gave them eBike's quote and they gave me 411 make it work for you ;)
Zed7fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2008, 11:48 AM   #11
Mark s
1.3 Litre Suzuki power

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84RGE
Mate, do what i did with eBike, get a quote from them, then go to a better place that offers to beat other quotes

First eBike quoted me 450

then i went to QBE and they quoted 570, then gave them eBike's quote and they gave me 411 make it work for you ;)
I found QBE were still cheaper by around 280 bucks over eBike. I did a quote put all the details, but did not proceed and they called my and asked why I did not go through with the quote.

They said they would match the quote by QBE, but I said you advertised you were cheaper, I got a quote and you were still more expensive. So I will stick with QBE + QBE also have the Motogp comp, so I have entered that.

Insuremyride I found a little cheaper than QBE, by about 70 bucks but I have had no issues with QBE so I will stick with them.

EF 4lt 1995 in Green on LPG. To and from work hack.

XY Fairmont 1971 in Bronze Wine, 302, Top Loader, 9" Still trying to find out if she is a GS or plain jane Monty.

Mustang 1966 coupe, Silver frost, A code, C4, factory bench seat, A/C, P/S rally pac, AM radio with 8 track. Awaiting funds for resto.

K6 Hayabusa....Dead Stock and why would one need to spend thousands on mods.................
Mark s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2008, 04:07 PM   #12
craig M
Starter Motor

Hi All

Just saw the posts about us and thought i would introduce myself. Im a director for eGroup, and was hoping to answer any questions you may have.

We are now fully underwritten by Lloyds, who are APRA regulated, so no issues when it comes to claims time. We are cheap because you do everything yourself, buy, change and renew your policy online.
we are in the middle of updating our website, and you should see this in September.
the exclusion below is referring the the breakdown section not the actual insurance cover - you are obviously covered for accident and theft, as thats what we all pay insurance for.

if anyone has any mjore questions you can give me a call on 07 3858 5000 and ill be happy to answer any queries you have.

cheers

craig

"General Exclusions

craig M is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2008, 04:21 PM   #13
BlackLS
yum

Its good to see a representative of a car insurance company answer questions about the product on a forum. Hows that for personal customer service?

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2008, 04:27 PM   #14
craig M
Starter Motor

Hi Black

I have tried on some forums before and got slaughtered, you seem to have a good group on here though so thought i would pop in.

cheers
Old 18-08-2008, 04:32 PM   #15
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

Thanks for jumping on and clearing things up Craig. It is very refreshing to see company reps on forums like ours sorting the wheat from the chaff. Good stuff.
charles_wif_xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2008, 04:37 PM   #16
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
Hows that for personal customer service?

Still doesn't mean they are any good.

Oo\===/oO
Old 18-08-2008, 04:43 PM   #17
craig M
Starter Motor

Hi Charles

no worries mate.

I would have probably agreed with some of your concerns - most have never heard of us and we are pretty competitive in price, and done on internet, obviously rings alarm bells. However there is a good company behind it, an APRA regulated insurer, with a good customer service team. we are not going to be the cheapest for everyone, but the majority we will.
Old 18-08-2008, 05:03 PM   #18
TOASTED
JMM modded EF

not paid on commission are you? Good customer service maybe, Good free advertising defiantely.

Guess the alcohol tax is turning people to mind altering drugs.
I drive : A heavily modified EF Fairmont with a JMM dev5 cam, worked head, 3.5" mandrel bent intake, exhaust, and a few other bits n pieces like a stally etc.

"She goes like a zirtek"

WANT A FAST FORD RING THIS BLOKE V V

Abbott Engines for HeadWork
20 years experience
PH Rob on (07) 5526 3883
TOASTED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2008, 05:21 PM   #19
henry_ford
order taker

I am still impressed that he jumped on and said hello.
Hope its not a handle.
henry_ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2008, 05:46 PM   #20
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well i dont know craig M, but i know we decided to represent the product on our site and we hope to be very careful on who we select, they are also in nz and the uk here is a bit more info on them some already covered but from what i see they get a thumbs up for their purpose and so far no dramas at all with them.
Quote:
eCar provide 100% web-based insurance whereby customers can buy, amend and renew their policies online 24/7. Our policies are underwritten by Lloyd's. Lloyd’s underwriters are prudentially regulated by the Australian Prudential Regulatory Authority (APRA) and are authorised under the Insurance Act 1973 to conduct insurance business in Australia. eCar also offer a unique Pay-As-You-Go option for monthly cover which has proved highly popular The product is unique and meets the market demand..
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2008, 02:29 PM   #21
craig M
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigosmoddedEF
not paid on commission are you? Good customer service maybe, Good free advertising defiantely.
Hi Craig

not looking to advertise just correct any misrepresentations that can exist on the web from time to time.

anyway, ill swing by from time to time to check out the forum, seems like a very decent forum, ive been a member of a few in the past that have lost their way a bit, this one looks good.

Good work, anyone got any questions you give me a call on 07 3858 5000, ill be happy to help, if you do want to check us out.

Craig
Old 19-08-2008, 08:49 PM   #22
Scrotus
BFXR6T

Yeah have got a mate with ecar says they ok, havent meet anyone with a claim as yet.

Not sure about the breakdown cover, I mean if you breakdown someone steals or burns your car thats it?

Usaully its if you didnt secure the ect.

Just checked out AAMI s new online cutprice insurnace bingle.com.au what a joke 2,000 per year for a 25yr old.
Old 19-08-2008, 11:22 PM   #23
Scrotus
BFXR6T

some reviews on the internet :

It is about time a company like this exists. Just gives you what you want at a highly competitive price

harveyok on 25th Jun 2008
I disagree with this review because...my own experiences with this company give me a totally different view point, Ecar is one to be avoided at all costs.

LINK http://www.reviewcentre.com/review30...l#all_comments

More reviews:

The eCar Insurance company is useless, half the phone numbers they give you don't work, one person told me they are investigating my claim while another told me they haven't got a claim registered on my account. They took weeks to decide what they are doing with my car during which time I was not eligible for a courtesy car, despite paying extra to get one! No one knows what they are talking about, I had my accident 5 weeks ago and still nothing is happening, they even confused my claim with one from a few months back (yes I was unlucky enough to have 2 accidents in 6 months) which had already been settled and closed. I doubt my claim will ever be sorted out.

another review

After making a claim, 6 weeks later it has still not been sorted out. And I have now been given 21 different telephone numbers to different departments, all of whom say I have the wrong number and need to call this other number.

Another

I had an accident in early December and no one else was involved. It took until the 2nd of January to call an assessor out to my appointed garage, which they were definitely not happy with. One day they said that the car was a write off. The next day they said it could be repaired, then I was told it was a write off. I starting looking for another similar car and found that it would cost me an extra 2,000 because we got this car cheap. I needed 6000 to replace it, and eCar car insurance offered me 3600, which was a joke. They said the aero top was a modification, which it was not. It was just the style of my Toyota Supra 3.0l aero. They said I had racing wheels, but they were the bog standard wheels for the car. It is still on-going today, 17th January. The ombudsmen are now involved.

Some are UK reviews but same company, doesnt sound fantastic.
Old 20-08-2008, 08:19 AM   #24
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrotus
Some are UK reviews but same company, doesnt sound fantastic.
I've been with NRMA insurance since day blot. I can probably get cheaper insurance if I shop around but I'm happy to pay extra for peace of mind. While it's probably been close to 10 years since I've made a claim, the claims I have made in the past have all been absolutely pain free. Damaged or stolen car, rang NRMA, filled out a claim form and either received a cheque or my car back as good as new.

Insurance isn't one of those services that I necessarily want to find for the cheapest price, I look for what happens after I've made a claim.

I'm not trying to disparage eCar, I don't think the UK experience could be used to judge eCar in Aus.. but paying the cheapest you can for insurance may end up costing you when it's time to make a claim.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2008, 02:10 PM   #25
Super Snake

Im with AAMI. Had a small accident in my car which I was not in fault. Did not want to deal with the other parties insurance. They looked after me, and fixed the car well. I was assured by AAMI that it will be fixed and all paint matched up to the rest of the car. If not, AAMI guarantee the repairs for life.

I would pay the extra, only if you know that the car will be repaired well, and done in a reasonable time. Only the major insurance companies can do this.
Super Snake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2008, 02:12 PM   #26
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
Insurance isn't one of those services that I necessarily want to find for the cheapest price, I look for what happens after I've made a claim.
Exactly.

Oo\===/oO
Old 18-04-2010, 01:30 PM   #27
barry56
Starter Motor

Hi all,
I was insured with ecar 5 months ago on my xr8 - Now aside from them never updating any drivers correctly when I asked them to I never recieved any confirmation that changes were made to my policy.(when I tried to go online the website always I should repeat always was down or not working.
Any way a bird ran up my backside and was quoted $ 4300 to fix the damages any lodged the claim which was straightforward only to be passed from pillar to post for a period of 3 months - at one point they couldnt even locate my claim ,keep in mind there is no hire car coverage after an accident which every other insurer does provide free of charge so i spent three months of hell arguing with these idiots about the status of my claim.
I then read there wording and found it to be full of grey areas where they could side step a claim if they wanted to.
my advice Dont go there go shop around with a more established insurer who at least know what they are doing and have local offices around to help you when you need it.
Believe me its not worth the heartache with egroup
barry56 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2010, 03:32 PM   #28
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hazardous... Risky... Chancy.......... = Dodgy

Last edited by pottery beige; 18-04-2010 at 03:38 PM.
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post