Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 30-03-2010, 06:36 PM   #1
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Default AU XR8 Flat spotting/idling a little rough

Hi all,

Lately my AU2 XR8 (200kw 5.0 motor) (XR6T intake, extractors, exhaust, mild tune) has had a flat spot under load around the 3500 rpm mark (it doesn't do it all the time though) sometimes it will do it under heavy acceleration, sometimes under light. Its random but becoming more frequent.

Ive also noticed it idles a little rough sometimes (thats also becoming more frequent)

Any ideas what it could be?

Cheers,
Rob

LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2010, 11:22 AM   #2
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Are the leads and plugs ok? Coil packs been changed?

How many k's it done?
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2010, 04:02 PM   #3
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Odo reads 159,000kms.

Plugs were changed just over 12 months ago
Fuel filter was done in '04
Air filter is a k&n panel and is fine.

I've gone through the service history but can't see if the leads/coil packs have ever been done. There is a small split in the rubber on one of the leads (near where it meets the plug, but the damage looks only skin deep)

She's been serviced every 6 months since new and never misses a beat, this has really come out of the blue. She runs best on BP Ultimate and its what I always use.

The car sat outside all night and this morning at 3am it was terrible, ran rough as soon as I started up and under acceleration it was totally gutless. Felt like the engine was going to drop out from under the car, if I was less experienced driving stick it probably would've stalled on me.

She sat in an undercover car park for 8 hours and at midday when I fired her up it was all good, did not miss a beat. There was (maybe) a tiny flat spot under hard acceleration in 1st.
Old 31-03-2010, 04:07 PM   #4
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Coil packs are generally accepted as only good for 80-100k, after that they deteriorate and issues such as yours arise.

I'd replace them, MSD 8241 is the cheapest, along with some new leads.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2010, 05:36 PM   #5
redauxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
Coil packs are generally accepted as only good for 80-100k, after that they deteriorate and issues such as yours arise.

I'd replace them, MSD 8241 is the cheapest, along with some new leads.
Who sells MSD Coil packs and leads? Do AUTO Pro or AUTO ONE sell them?
redauxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2010, 06:19 PM   #6
Noddy
Mercury Silver T3

I may do my xr8 coil/leads as well. If i accellerate from standstill with progressive throttle i find that even though i am giving it more than 50% throttle it doesn't start to pull till 3000rpm. It definately feels flat below that.
Sounds similar to the OP question

2017 Magnetic Mustang

What to hear a tuff T3?
Click here
http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y30...ent=Movie2.mp4
Noddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2010, 08:08 PM   #7
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

weaponx also do ignition coils, much cheaper than MSD but not sure if anyone in this country sells them. Been hoping to find someone who's used them but so far only one BA/BF I6 member has responded.
madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2010, 03:27 PM   #8
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noddy
I may do my xr8 coil/leads as well. If i accellerate from standstill with progressive throttle i find that even though i am giving it more than 50% throttle it doesn't start to pull till 3000rpm. It definately feels flat below that.
Sounds similar to the OP question
Thats exactly the way mine has felt for along time, unless I launch it at very high revs (and keep it up there) it doesn't start to pull until fairly high in the rev range.

We've located the problem: one of the leads is dead. Shes been running on 7 cylinders on and off which explains why its been OK one trip and terrible the next. Would it be best to replace all of the leads at once, or would that be a waste? I'm leaning towards doing the whole lot for piece of mind and the fact Ive had a similar issue to Noddy.

Can anyone recommend a certain brand/type?
Old 05-04-2010, 04:04 PM   #9
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

There are Top Gun brand leads on the car atm.
This user likes this post:
Old 06-04-2010, 01:39 PM   #10
sd1800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Go for the a custom set of MSD leads as seen here:
http://www.a1hiperformance.com.au/do...hp?prod_id=230

I got my MSD coil packs from Rocket in sydney for about $155 each I think it was. I was in the same position as you and this is generally considered the best way of doing it.

Now......
2012 FG MK2 XR6 Turbo
- Manual & Luxury Pack
- 302rwkw

2019 Escape St-Line
sd1800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2010, 11:59 AM   #11
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Ended up replacing all my current leads with new Top Gun ones, I'm not sure if the new ones I bought are a higher grade or just an improved design, but the elbows are a more compact design that wont be in danger of rubbing up against the extractors.

The car is running beautifully now!