Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-01-2010, 11:12 PM   #31
lubby1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sic 40t
dont mean to be a ******** but wen i look for polish i walk past turtle wax mother not bad meguiers is the ******** you have done some thing wrong i you it once a week if see what the car look it hang the ******** on my mate have a black car no problems did you have in the sun doing ? i do mine in the sun due to no garage sweet you did it wrong
Wish i could unmderstand what your saying?
lubby1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2010, 11:43 PM   #32
MRFGXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Hm yeah sounds like a little to much wax and not enough elbow grease to get it back off again. Another problem which may definitely be the case (please correct me if I'm wrong) is the between coat time. If you haven't left the wax to settle so to speak between coats you will get merging between the waxes sealers etc making the polymers of one blend with another thus causing streaking and the oily effect. This I have learned through experience as I have a black car, so its a pain for the streaks etc. I try to leave 4 to 8 hours between the steps if possible to allow proper setting time of the wax, the longer the time between coats the better. Once buffed it needs to set and cure, especially that of the Carnauba wax, if not blending will occur with the next wax step as in your case the tech wax. Each step must also be buffed properly and I like to use a Meguiars micro fiber cloth for this (personally found these better than Muslim cloth and the likes). Heat can also make streaking as it softens the wax causing marks when buffed in the sun. When I have the time I use the following steps;

Clay - Meguiars Quick detailer with the clay block
Sealer - Mothers sealer & glaze ultimate wax
Wax - Meguiars Hi-Tech yellow wax
Detailer - Meguiars Ultimate quick detailer.

The last is a very good product with Hydrophobic Polymers that repels water better and leaves a very smooth and slick surface that is easy to keep clean between waxes plus keep bugs and bird crap from penetrating the paint. Maximum protection with this though will be achieved after a 12 hour curing time. I also use it between waxes to keep the protection up and the car still looks great. I have also found it wont streak when applies in direct sunlight or shade, its a direct mist and wipe application and works very well.
Basically in a nut shell all coats need to be fully buffed and then allowed to cure, doing this the streaks etc will not appear at all, and the over all result will be well worth it.
Hope that helps

6/6/16 build 2017 plate Race red mustang gt with white solid stripes, tint, x-force exhaust, rear spoiler, 35mm lowered Votgland springs

MRFGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2010, 11:44 PM   #33
FERG_51
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have used tech wax in liquid form and love it, but have had the greasy look with the paste and found it harder to get off.
FERG_51 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2010, 05:53 PM   #34
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

autoglym i use brillant stuff this photo is my uncle au fairmont
Before

after
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2010, 07:01 PM   #35
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

I use Eagle one on my car and that looks fantastic, helped my brother put tech wax on his merc and it came up a treat!
Old 27-01-2010, 10:57 PM   #36
Brute6
Lurvin' my Ute!!!

With the Meguiars NXT Gen waxes, do the whole car, then leave it on for minimum half hour, even closer to 45mins/1 hour....
And remember the old saying, the more you put on, the more you need to get off!!!

HERS: SZ Territory TS, Havana

Proud Member "FPV & XR Owners Club of Vic"

Brute6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2010, 11:14 PM   #37
SVR73
Mr Polish

and make sure to apply tech wax or other products with a hand foam pad, not a microfibre towel or any old rag.
tech wax only fills swirls by the way.
Old 28-01-2010, 10:54 AM   #38
YOOT
Banned

Polishing cars...

I used to do it when I was younger (20), but not that I am 27 (so OLD!) I find it is much more economical to pay someone to do it.

Buy the time to buy all the product and waste four (4) hours of my life, i could go to the office and earn more than what it cost to get it done.

The other reason is I have never tried to pollish my black cars, way too much risk of stuffing it up. And it has to be damn near perfect otherwise you'll see the imperfections.

One good detail per year is all the paint needs. $3/week or $150 for one decent polish, will result in a much nicer car than regular amature polishes every few months.

Thats just my experience. :
YOOT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2010, 12:44 PM   #39
kingyxr8
EL XR8

NU FINISH I use and its great stuff..
kingyxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post