Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-10-2009, 11:08 AM   #1
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Default Scruby Stikes Again

http://www.smh.com.au/drive/revealed...1030-hptp.html

Thought id post this one up and realise what a crackpot this guy is. If i saw him crossing the road id dont think I would stop.

And the journalist is an idiot too, thinks its an exclusive because she got a fax from Harold Scruby. Anyway for those not willing to read the article here are some highlights.

Quote:
PREVIOUSLY secret RTA figures dealing with camera-detected speeding offences appear to expose a policy of allowing a 10per cent tolerance before a penalty is applied. The data shows that not a single NSW motorist was penalised for being caught travelling at speeds of between 100km/h and 110km/h in a 100km/h zone during July and August. Harold Scruby, the head of the Pedestrian Council of Australia, says the figures reveal what many have long suspected – that the Roads and Traffic Authority allows a discretionary margin of 10 per cent in excess of the speed limit before a penalty is imposed. Mr Scruby wants to know who is setting the tolerance threshold: "Is it some unaccountable Sir Humphrey who is under the instruction of ministers to make sure the Government is popular?"

The RTA says it works with the police to set tolerance levels but the police Traffic Services Commander, John Hartley, told the Herald that "each organisation is responsible for the independent operation of their individual speed enforcement programs". The RTA has offered no explanation for the figures, which were released to Mr Scruby under freedom-of-information laws. Mr Scruby believes the margin has been inadvertently exposed by a shift since the end of June to 10km/h increments for lower-level speeding offences. A former Victorian assistant police commissioner, Ray Shuey, said "10 per cent has been sort of usual in many jurisdictions", although Victoria had moved to a lower threshold. He said 10 per cent was based on an outdated Australian Design rule which erroneously assumed a large drift in some car speedometers. Assistant Commissioner Hartley said the NSW Police Force did not discuss tolerance levels and "any motorist can be fined for exceeding the speed limit by 1km/h".
That final police officer was a bit off, "outdated Australian Design Rule" pretty sure its still in force mate, and well even minor changes in tyres can knock a speedo about.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2009, 11:24 AM   #2
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlane
http://www.smh.com.au/drive/revealed...1030-hptp.html

Thought id post this one up and realise what a crackpot this guy is. If i saw him crossing the road id dont think I would stop.
I'd speed up....by a good 10%?

Quote:
That final police officer was a bit off, "outdated Australian Design Rule" pretty sure its still in force mate, and well even minor changes in tyres can knock a speedo about.
Not sure if it is enforce or not. I heard they were changing it but don't know if that was a 'in the future' or it has now been done. Either way fact is that you are not going to seriously measurably affect vehicular safety based on 10% anyway since the set speed is arbitrary and not dependent on every single combination of conditions, vehicles or drivers capabilities. These factors would adjust the recomended speed a crapload more than 10%. For one thing, if you added 10% to most highway speed limits but reduced urban limits 10% (not saying i'm in favour of it) you would most likely improve safety substantially....

Why bother discussing this issue when it doesn't take into the account the much bigger impact of driver behaviour, which is not properly policed at all like it was in the past.

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2009, 11:34 AM   #3
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Whats he doing, mashing in VIC and NSW speeding offences into the same confusing article for victorian readers?

everyone knows nsw including cameras leave you 10% dont they?

VIC cameras dont, but real police do.

If you feel like pushing the limits when safe, a measly 10% that is, go for it. See what happens. Not much to lose.
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2009, 03:00 PM   #4
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I always thought cameras were 7kph variance. My wife got booked recently for under 10kph in a 50 zone.
Old 31-10-2009, 03:01 PM   #5
Paxton
Cobblers!

He's harping on about something that is common knowledge here in NSW.

This guy is a moron.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2009, 03:09 PM   #6
dole bludger
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun
I always thought cameras were 7kph variance. My wife got booked recently for under 10kph in a 50 zone.
i think its 10% not 10kph, so @ 50kph thats 5kph tolerance
dole bludger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2009, 05:15 PM   #7
gtnut

Pedestrian council of one.
This guy is a crackpot ive been involved in the 4wd scene for twenty years or so, this so called expert as been after 4wd,s and high powerd cars and high powerd motor bikes as long as i can remember at one point he wanted all 4wd,s parked up some where on the city limits and you would have to drive your bip bip car there, go for a drive in you 4wd for the day or week then park it back there and then drive home in your bip bip car.
I remember hearing on 2gb this year that some goverment ministers banned him from there offices and one of them refer to him harold screwball.
He is just his serial pest.

Paul Callaghan
gtnut is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2009, 05:47 PM   #8
prydey
Rob

Quote:

you will find the police officer is 100% correct. the current ADR's specify that the speedo can't read slower than the actual road speed, and has to be within 10% if reading faster than the road speed.

as tyres wear, their overall diameter becomes smaller, causing the speedo to read faster than the roadspeed. when you change the car from how it left the factory, which includes changing tyres, the onus is on the owner to make sure it complies.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2009, 06:43 PM   #9
King Nothing
He has, the Knack..

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
you will find the police officer is 100% correct. the current ADR's specify that the speedo can't read slower than the actual road speed, and has to be within 10% if reading faster than the road speed.

as tyres wear, their overall diameter becomes smaller, causing the speedo to read faster than the roadspeed. when you change the car from how it left the factory, which includes changing tyres, the onus is on the owner to make sure it complies.

Not quite technically true either. The current standard states that all cars can read up to 10% faster, but cannot read slower than the actual speed. However, this applies to cars built after IIRC 2005. So anything built pre 2005 falls under the old standard, which gives a 10% tolerance either way.

So, as the majority of cars on the road are pre-2005, it makes sense to give a 10% tolerance as these cars were built to this standard. It isn't fair to punish a motorist if their car performs within the standard it was built to.

Workhorse, stock as a rock

2004 BA MKI Futura - Now the wife's

For Show: 18" Kaotic Shadow Chrome, King SL all round, Cadence Amp, Kenwood 12" Sub, JL Audio 5x7's, Scuff Plates, MP3 Connector

For Go: SVI LPG, K&N Filter, F6 CAI, XR6T snorkle, XR8 catback, Magnaflow metal cat, Pacemaker headers, Underdrive, Thermostat, Custom tune, DBA4000

Now with baby seat and toys

175.6 rwkw

www.bseries.com.au/King_Nothing
King Nothing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2009, 12:41 AM   #10
geehaa
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun

Was she walking???
geehaa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2009, 06:33 AM   #11
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Nothing
Not quite technically true either. The current standard states that all cars can read up to 10% faster, but cannot read slower than the actual speed. However, this applies to cars built after IIRC 2005. So anything built pre 2005 falls under the old standard, which gives a 10% tolerance either way.

So, as the majority of cars on the road are pre-2005, it makes sense to give a 10% tolerance as these cars were built to this standard. It isn't fair to punish a motorist if their car performs within the standard it was built to.
yes i agree and i was actually going to say something along those lines as well in my post but didn't. i was merely pointing out the policeman statement was in fact true regarding the current ADR.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2009, 08:44 AM   #12
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I am waiting for the head of the pedestrian council to be booked for Jay walking.
And I hope it makes it to the papers as well.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2009, 09:03 AM   #13
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by geehaa
Was she walking???
I gotta learn two right bedda sentensez.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:13 AM   #14
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

You lot missed the more interesting?? discussion;-

http://www.smh.com.au/drive/motor-ne...1030-ho9e.html
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2009, 11:35 AM   #15
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
You lot missed the more interesting?? discussion;-

http://www.smh.com.au/drive/motor-ne...1030-ho9e.html

I saw them talking about that on sunrise the other day, it has merit, but the hippies will have a sook no doubt. When they 'finally' have dual carriageway from bris - syd, how awesome would that be with a 130kph limit?
Old 01-11-2009, 02:27 PM   #16
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Sorry guys but this has been done to death. You're all trying to make sense of what motivates a pyschosis suffering git to emerge constantly in the public arena trying to limit our most basic freedoms; it's a whole lot simpler than that.
Harry Screwball is a nutter with a very small mans appendage. Nuff said?

Quote: