Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-10-2009, 03:58 PM   #91
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlewy86
I'm warming to the US's current range of Lincoln's. Even though LWB is dead I'd love to see a true LTD (lincoln type design). Even if it is based on SWB it would add another bow in Ford's upmarket models and could make more sense than a G8E (hint V8 power).
I'm not 100% convinced LTD ever really stood for Lincoln Type Design - perhaps someone at Ford Australia just thought that's what it meant... kind of like rice now stands for race inspired cosmetic enhancement. Ford US has used LTD and Limited on numerous cars, I think LTD was Limited, at least in the US. The Crown Vic LTD, looked nothing like a Lincoln, despite sharing the same platform.
I could be wrong of course..... It has happened once before :-)
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2009, 04:11 PM   #92
Partman33
Starter Motor

Keep the straight 6 for performance V6 is not the answer.
Partman33 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2009, 04:41 PM   #93
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

I'd love them to make a mid size rear wheel drive sedan / wagon, which when powered by the ecoboost 4cyl would be a ripper of a car.

I'm dreaming though as it's not economically viable. I guess I'll have to save up for a 6cyl 3 series BM (yeah like I can afford one of them!).

Funny how the OPs prediction of a 290kw XR8 actually came true.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2009, 05:10 PM   #94
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
I'm not 100% convinced LTD ever really stood for Lincoln Type Design - perhaps someone at Ford Australia just thought that's what it meant... kind of like rice now stands for race inspired cosmetic enhancement. Ford US has used LTD and Limited on numerous cars, I think LTD was Limited, at least in the US. The Crown Vic LTD, looked nothing like a Lincoln, despite sharing the same platform.
Some of the LTD's actually had the lincoln badge from memory. Wouldn't be the first time the name hasn't matched the product. I don't think Ghia ever actually produced a single Fairlane anyway.
Old 13-10-2009, 06:50 PM   #95
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
It actually did stand for Lincoln Type Design. I've seen photos of the original LTD design concepts and it says that on them.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2009, 07:01 PM   #96
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

A Turbo Diesel Territory, with bigger ground clearance, make it a bit more capable off the beaten track, also bring back the XR wagons!
Old 13-10-2009, 07:04 PM   #97
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Id like to see a Falcon G8E with flappy paddles at least (I know they just wouldnt do a manual) and the Kuga added to the range.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2009, 07:06 PM   #98
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
It actually did stand for Lincoln Type Design. I've seen photos of the original LTD design concepts and it says that on them.

Agreed, it is in fact 100% Lincoln Type Design.
Fairlane was also the name of Henry Fords massive home and property.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2009, 07:11 PM   #99
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Actually, I'd love to see them make a modern day coupe. I was waiting at a set of lights the other day and in the shop windows the g6 looked like a coupe/roadster. It looked pure horn. If I was any good at that choppy photo thing I'd give it a "fair crack of the sauce bottle".

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2009, 07:29 PM   #100
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Bring back the RTV!

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2009, 07:43 PM   #101
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Ford F150 brought over here by Ford, as long as its a reasonable price.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2009, 07:53 PM   #102
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I want a v8 that sounds like a v8 a goes like a bat out of hell .
I want more reliable vechicles . Bring back built for tough
I want good looking cars , mean looking ones
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2009, 08:50 PM   #103
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

The things I want, and think Ford need:
G8 and G8E, to compete with Holdens Calais and Calais V V8, also because there are people out there that want affordable V8 luxury, sales of V8 Calais are proof of this.

FG RTV, Was pretty popular with the BA and BFs, and a lot of RTV owners would be looking to update. R+D couldn't be to much for these

Kuga, such a big slice of the new car market, and Ford's best answer at the moment is what? a 10 year old Escape? You must be joking?

Diesel Territory , Yes I know it is on it's way, but fact is, it should have been here 4 years ago. STOP HESITATING FORD!

Stronger Mondeo range Ford could sell many more Mondeo's if the local range wasn't so restricted, I can't get a manual unless I get an XR5, I can't get a diesel wagon, I can't get a manual diesel.
Old 14-10-2009, 08:34 AM   #104
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks guys regarding Lincoln Type Design - I'd read that in a Ford book years ago, but thought the author could have made a mistake. I am more convinced now.

I think Ford should have a global lineup of vehicles under the three brands Ford, Mercury (if they overhaul the whole brand) and Lincoln.

Ford - trucks, SUVs, crossovers and cars
Mercury - upper level cars and crossovers
Lincoln - premium level cars and crossovers

Ford cars: Fiesta, Focus, Fusion, Taurus, Falcon (Fiesta, Focus, Fusion, Taurus all available in hatch and sedan) Taurus and Falcon available in sedan and wagon.
Ford crossovers - Kuga, Edge, Territory, Explorer
Trucks: F-100, F-150, F-250 (f-100 replaces Ranger)
SUVs: Bronco (SWB Expedition), Expedition (Ford global competitor to LC200, Patrol)
Commercial: Transit Connect, Transit (make more like the Sprinter), E-series, Chassis Cab versions of F-100, F-150, F-250

Mercury
(completely overhaul the whole brand or drop it) - when i think of mercury, i picture a dinosaur.

Lincoln
whole range, but make new Town Car on Falcon platform, give it a new name... like MKL?
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2009, 10:07 AM   #105
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Thanks guys regarding Lincoln Type Design - I'd read that in a Ford book years ago, but thought the author could have made a mistake. I am more convinced now.

I think Ford should have a global lineup of vehicles under the three brands Ford, Mercury (if they overhaul the whole brand) and Lincoln.

Ford - trucks, SUVs, crossovers and cars
Mercury - upper level cars and crossovers
Lincoln - premium level cars and crossovers

Ford cars: Fiesta, Focus, Fusion, Taurus, Falcon (Fiesta, Focus, Fusion, Taurus all available in hatch and sedan) Taurus and Falcon available in sedan and wagon.
Ford crossovers - Kuga, Edge, Territory, Explorer
Trucks: F-100, F-150, F-250 (f-100 replaces Ranger)
SUVs: Bronco (SWB Expedition), Expedition (Ford global competitor to LC200, Patrol)
Commercial: Transit Connect, Transit (make more like the Sprinter), E-series, Chassis Cab versions of F-100, F-150, F-250

Mercury
(completely overhaul the whole brand or drop it) - when i think of mercury, i picture a dinosaur.

Lincoln
whole range, but make new Town Car on Falcon platform, give it a new name... like MKL?
Agree with that 100%.
Also, as a fan of the towncar I think they'd be on a winner here; even though they'd have to stretch the falcon by another 50cm. Give americans an I6 (which has more power and torque than the 4.6 SOHC now) and let them option the turbo motor too. Give towncar owners a slightly sportier version. Many, many a time I have tried overtaking in a towncar on the highways and am constantly amazed at the lack of grunt this thing has. Ever tried taking a car over the Rocky mountains through Colorado on the interstate? The poor little V8 revs its nuts off as it can't breathe and is hauling about 2 tonnes of metal. Now, imagine that same drive with an I6T and a ZF. It would probably only drop one gear for the really steep bits.
Let ford USA do the bodywork and the seats (designed flat for the wide american behinds) and the interior, and it'll be win win.

Quote: