Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 28-07-2009, 03:52 PM   #1
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Default Geelong Bypass to Great Ocean Rd ???.

Hi guy's, does anybody know if it is open and how far around the new bypass goes, I will be comming from Gisborne into Geelong, and the last time through there the bypass was open but not all the way,
I want to go to the surfcoast/Torquay,
Or do I still have to through the centre with all the trafic/lights ?.

galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2009, 03:56 PM   #2
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Ive just moved back to vic and drive from sunbury to geelong for uni. Let me tell you its the best thing since sliced bread.

Its not finished, but for the moment you pop out near the uni. Once you get off the free way turn left at the lights, then right at the next set through Grovedale. Follow that all the way until you turn right onto the road that takes you to Torquay.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2009, 04:25 PM   #3
cant
CANT !!!!!!!!

Yes, the majority of it is open.

As per Polyal description if your going to Torquay, you cant stuff it up, left at the lights at the end of the ring road, right at the next set you come to, follow that straight up a bit to a Tee intersection (looking at the Grovedale Hotel)at which point you turn right straight to Torquay (or via the bottleshop).

Or if your going to Jan Juc or Anglesea hang a right turn at the lights at the end of the ring road then a left at the round-about (after Bunnings) and your on the Anglesea rd, you can follow that all the way through to Anglesea (and on down the Great Ocean rd) or hang a left at the next round-about (some 20klm after the first) and PRESTO, your in Jan Juc/Torquay going the back way!

Have Fun.

Cheers Chris

Better to be late, than
VERY LATE !!!! :

YEAH HA !!!!!!!!
cant is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2009, 07:30 PM   #4
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Thank's guy's, I know where I am going now, I head down that way a fair bit (Apollo Bay) and I hate going through the centre or there about's of Geelong, now I can take the Ring Rd, can't wait.
Old 28-07-2009, 07:40 PM   #5
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

I did it for the first time a couple of weeks back, such a difference. Because its a bit hilly/curvey it actually feels like you are driving further but since its all highway you would save alot of fuel I would think.

That and you not hassled by trucks etc.

Ill have to time it one day and see the difference.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2009, 08:11 PM   #6
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

On the subject of the GOR. I'm planning to head down it sometime late this year, early next year. Where does the GOR start and where does it finish?
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2009, 08:18 PM   #7
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
On the subject of the GOR. I'm planning to head down it sometime late this year, early next year. Where does the GOR start and where does it finish?
The named part starts just out of Geelong at Torquay and goes till Warrnabool
but its all good , Cruise time I think Bucky lets us know when your coming
:

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2009, 08:22 PM   #8
Blue Ice
Living the Dream

Not a bad drive, just watch out for our new aussie friends, nearly got wiped out a few times when I was working up at Port Campbell on the gas plant.
Blue Ice is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2009, 08:23 PM   #9
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Excellent. Thanks whoosha. I will let you know. Me and a mate are planning a trip to Melbourne for some work on his car, and we were considering taking the bikes down. I think the run on a couple of bikes might be a great way to experience the GOR.

I've been on it once. That was Geelong to Angelsea. About 5 years ago. Sensational time. We visited some fantastic places in Vic, and the GOR was just one of them.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2009, 08:44 PM   #10
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
Hi guy's, does anybody know if it is open and how far around the new bypass goes, I will be comming from Gisborne into Geelong, and the last time through there the bypass was open but not all the way,
I want to go to the surfcoast/Torquay,
Or do I still have to through the centre with all the trafic/lights ?.

If your coming from bendigo , I find the quickest way is actually heading to melbourne and taking the ringroad across to the geelong road, its a bit more boring but i find its about 15 mins quicker then going through daylesford or bachusmarsh.
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2009, 08:55 PM   #11
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy84
If your coming from bendigo , I find the quickest way is actually heading to melbourne and taking the ringroad across to the geelong road, its a bit more boring but i find its about 15 mins quicker then going through daylesford or bachusmarsh.
I go through Gisborne down to BM onto Geelong, I used to go via Daylesford to Ballan etc but I don't like that road compared to the other,
I think going all the way to melb and the Ring Rd and then onto Geelong would be longer as it's not as a dirrect route from Bendigo to Geelong as Bendigo-Gisborne-Geelong ??.
Old 28-07-2009, 09:15 PM   #12
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
I go through Gisborne down to BM onto Geelong, I used to go via Daylesford to Ballan etc but I don't like that road compared to the other,
I think going all the way to melb and the Ring Rd and then onto Geelong would be longer as it's not as a dirrect route from Bendigo to Geelong as Bendigo-Gisborne-Geelong ??.
Its defiently longer but faster , 110kph most of the way . It amazed me the first time .
My gps keeped telling me to go to melb an i never did until one evening i wanted to avoid roo's and i saved 15 mins .
I used to drive from bendigo to geelong every weekend , an tried as many routes as i could.

Try google maps http://maps.google.com.au/
I typed :
Bendigo to Lara (start of ringroad)
Melbourne route 197km -2 hours and 32mins
ballan route 170km - 2 hours and 41 mins
gisbounre, bachus marsh -182km - 2 hours and 47 mins

An all routes except the ballan route comes out in lara.
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post