Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 23-07-2009, 10:58 AM   #1
prydey
Rob

Default New Zealand moves closer to Australia

http://www.news.com.au/travel/story/...014090,00.html

New Zealand moves closer to Australia after earthquake

Herald Sun

New Zealand
Shaky isles ... the 7.8 magnitude quake twisted the South Island out of shape and moved it closer to Australia.

* South Island now 30cm closer to Australia
* Still 2250km gap between countries
* 7.8 magnitude quake struck last week

THERE won't be any cheaper air fares but southern New Zealand is now closer to Australia after last week's huge earthquake.

The quake was so powerful it pushed the South Island 30cm closer to Australia.

The island's east coast moved only 1cm westwards, the Herald Sun reports.

"New Zealand just got a little bit bigger," earthquake scientist Ken Gledhill said.

He said the quake did it "in a few seconds rather than waiting hundreds of years".

While it brings our eastern neighbour closer, there's still a 2250km gap between us.

The 7.8 magnitude quake, the biggest in New Zealand for 78 years, caused slight damage to buildings and property when it struck the remote Fiordland region last Thursday.

A tsunami was generated - a tide gauge on the west coast recorded a wave of 1m.

great! thats all we need! :

some humerous comments at the bottom of the article in the readers section also.

prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2009, 12:32 PM   #2
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

So N.Z's west Island is closer ... Lol..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2009, 12:39 PM   #3
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Oh nu bru...oh nuuuu
gcg2503 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2009, 12:52 PM   #4
GeoNazi
Banned

they bringing the chups? 30cm is stuff all but in the same token it is about the length of my p... hey hey kids...
GeoNazi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2009, 01:15 PM   #5
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh no bru, another 2240km and you are beached as........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2009, 04:54 PM   #6
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Explains the improved AM radio reception of ZL:-)
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2009, 05:02 PM   #7
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if it moves further we will hav to call them bro
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2009, 05:40 PM   #8
Rangas GTP

New Zealand has had 30 quakes since the 7.8 and the majority of quakes are over 5. Me thinks something major happening.
You can follow quakes as they happen on this site http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/...uakes_all.html
Amazing how many quakes occur daily.
Rangas GTP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2009, 06:47 PM   #9
gtfpv
GT

the tape measure they use must be very good stuff if it doesnt strecth a little over that distance . i wonder how much tension they had to put on it . ?
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2009, 07:13 PM   #10
CJR09
RPO 77

I was night fishing for trout at a river mouth on lake Te Anau - Fiordland when it struck - was pretty freaky stuff - pitch black, no torch : , ground moving around - learnt a wee lesson that night!!

was there in Te Anau untill midday Saturday and was still getting aftershocks that you could feel every 2-3hrs before deciding to head home

we get our fair share of earthquakes - get a decent one every couple of years - first one I been in outdoors for a long time though - fault line runs through the middle of fiordland along the southern alps up the lenght of the Sth Island and through Nth Island.

got a bag of goodies I take with me now :
CJR09 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2009, 10:29 PM   #11
Thornie
Off smelting

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJR09
I was night fishing for trout at a river mouth on lake Te Anau - Fiordland when it struck - was pretty freaky stuff - pitch black, no torch : , ground moving around - learnt a wee lesson that night!!

was there in Te Anau untill midday Saturday and was still getting aftershocks that you could feel every 2-3hrs before deciding to head home

we get our fair share of earthquakes - get a decent one every couple of years - first one I been in outdoors for a long time though - fault line runs through the middle of fiordland along the southern alps up the lenght of the Sth Island and through Nth Island.

got a bag of goodies I take with me now :
interesting read was the book they made about when napier was flattened all those years ago, my wifes grandpa has it and also has a lot of interesting NZ earthquake tales.
Thornie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post