Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 24-06-2009, 05:41 PM   #1
jcto
JCTO AUII Falcon

Cool AUII Digital Clock Replacement

Hi Everyone,

Just let me say what a great forum this is, so much helpful info.

I would like to know how to replace the digital clock in my AUII, I have the new clock just not the know how to replace it. I have read all sorts of threads in here about removing radios and temp cable clips etc...is there one easy uncomplicated way to remove the surround and replace the clock.

jcto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2009, 06:56 PM   #2
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In short the answer is no there is no easy way. My understanding is that you need to pull the stereo out and then you can get to the screws and release the surround. If you get the surround to pop out just enough you can probably use a stubby screwdriver on the two screws holding the clock in place. Hope this helps.
I wish you luck it will be a bit of a mongrel of a job.

AU I Forte Sedan - No longer
Toy Car Build
bartsau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2009, 07:11 PM   #3
jcto
JCTO AUII Falcon

thanks i just found an old post on here where someone modified a clock from an AUII and has exactly how to do it including pictures, following is the link;

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=55349

thanks for the info, now just have to get the courage and tools to do it.
Old 24-06-2009, 07:15 PM   #4
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good luck you might need a bit of courage. Getting the stereo out is the only real problem. Just need to make up soem tools and get someone to help pull when you lever with them releasing the clips holding the stereo.
Have Fun

AU I Forte Sedan - No longer
Toy Car Build
bartsau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2009, 07:32 PM   #5
jcto
JCTO AUII Falcon

Thank you, I am sure it will be fine (crossing fingers), I have the dimensions for the tools etc and hell the missus might as well earn her keep and help pull the thing out, I have the stubbiest of stubby screwdrivers so all going well it will be all done tomorrow.
Old 24-06-2009, 07:53 PM   #6
DW260

When I had to replace the light bulb in mine, I dropped into Ford and had the service tech's (loosely used term) to pop the stereo out of it's locks, drove home and replaced said bulb. Could try the same... I tried for ages with bits of coat-hanger wire...
FPV GS Ute #370/Brembo brakes
DW260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2009, 07:56 PM   #7
jcto
JCTO AUII Falcon

WOOHOO.......all done. Thank you to everyone in this forum who posted pics and descriptions of how to remove the headunit and clock etc. Here is a brief outline of how I did it.......
1. I used some old fencing wire to make the removal tools as per dimensions I found on here. Make sure its no bigger than 3mm in diameter or else you may bend the little release latches which you are trying to release...trust me, you dont want that, mine are now bent back into shape hehehehe.
2. I inserted these in until they clicked.....or seated home which ever term you prefer.
3. I removed the tape deck entrance surround, it just clicks off. (so I found)
4. Using an angle grinder disc spanner (the one with 2 prongs on it) I placed it inside the tape unit just over a little metal lip.....(I dont use tapes anyhow but it didnt seem to mind it.
5. Pushing outwards on the right hand removal tool I pulled on the spanner thingy and felt the h/u come out slightly.
6. I moved the spanner thingy over to the left hand side and repeated.
7. I put the spanner thingy in the centre and the h/u pulled out with some effort.
8. I unplugged the aerial and main loom and hey presto one h/u out.
9. Next I took out the ashtray/money pocket and undid the 2 screws at the back.
10. Then the screws on the side where the h/u came out of.
11. Grabbing under the ashtray i just pulled and kept pulling up the sides and before I knew it the whole centre fascia was off.

If anyone would like anymore detail....just ask.
Old 25-06-2009, 07:57 PM   #8
jcto
JCTO AUII Falcon

oops one more thing.....Alberts in Rockingham WA will actually release the clips for your headunits for free...unlike audiocom who wanted $22.00.