Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-02-2009, 09:25 AM   #31
Creampuff
149 rwkw of Style

I have been using these car washes for awhile now but, I never use the brush.(never let the car get that dirty). I just soap the car and rinse the car, microfibre the car at site, go home and detail ...simple. I can't wait for water restictions to lift so I can wash my car properly!!!
Old 11-02-2009, 11:53 AM   #32
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea90gl
Thats a great clay bar, you'll notice a heap of them guys on detail world highly recommend it. Ive used that and the Megs stuff but found the bilt hamber was better.
I was told 3M make a good clay bar as well. I havent tried it yet, but will look into it once the current clay I have is past its use by.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2009, 11:58 AM   #33
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creampuff
I have been using these car washes for awhile now but, I never use the brush.(never let the car get that dirty). I just soap the car and rinse the car, microfibre the car at site, go home and detail ...simple. I can't wait for water restictions to lift so I can wash my car properly!!!
You know you can use the hose to wash cars between 4.30pm and 5pm on Saturdays (odd numbers) and Sundays (even numbers)? My car gets a hose wash every Saturday.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2009, 11:58 AM   #34
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea90gl
As blueoval mentioned you will need some paint correction work done with a buffer to remove the swirl marks, if they are real light you MAY get away with using something like Autoglyms SRP which has synthetic fillers that help reduce the appearance of the swirls. However that method will work if your lucky, but SRP gives a real deep glossy shine that feels great. Best to use something like Meguiars Scratch X (or Megs #80 + #83) with a dual action orbital polisher with correct grade pads. There are hundreds of combinations between machine (DA orbital/Rotary polisher), pad type and polish used depending on severity of swirls. Megs works well as well as a brand called Menzerna and also 3M which is quite popular. If you wanted to tackle polishing yourself the Megs G220 polisher would be a great way to start, some use the orbital sanders you can get from bunnings etc etc you can get them to work and get results but they have less of a throw in the orbit so they need to be used a little more. As i mentioned before refer to that detailing site which has great more in depth info. Thats where I learnt a bunch of stuff before putting it into practise

I have the Megs G220 orbital and I LOVE IT. Not as fast as a rotary polisher, but heaps safer for a beginner like me. lol
I use Lake Country buffing pads for the orbital as well as Lake Country hand pads to do the job. Not cheap, but certainly give an excellent result. (I can recommend you to the person in SA that distributes them).
Also speak to SVR73 as he owns his own Detailing business in Burton and will happily advise you in your needs.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2009, 05:02 PM   #35
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
You know you can use the hose to wash cars between 4.30pm and 5pm on Saturdays (odd numbers) and Sundays (even numbers)? My car gets a hose wash every Saturday.
Every week? That's excessive... Want to come over and wash mine?

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2009, 05:07 PM   #36
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine
Every week? That's excessive... Want to come over and wash mine?
Yeah, if the Council says I can do it, then why not eh?

I will wash yours for beer and hookers.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2009, 08:01 PM   #37
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

heres a hazard for you - touchless car wash that sprays water/soap on your car - if your sunroof drain lines aren't clear and working well then the sunroof channel will fill with water and when it does, it will breech the cabin. Trust me on this one guys ok.

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2009, 11:18 PM   #38
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wash my car at home - with water restrictions. At least I know where my grey water has been. I put the wash cycle from the washing machine on the garden, the rinse cycle into 2x 60 litre rubbish bins. Then use the Karcher to draw water from the bin via the hose and wash the car with it. While I have noticed the grey water reducing the quality of the wash, better than not washing it at all or paying to risk my duco with a dirty brush. I use about 30 litres to rinse the car twice - before and after washing.
I'm going to invest in a water tank this year and have clean water for the car and water for the garden on demand.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2009, 06:29 PM   #39
dallasv8
5.8 litres of fun

most car washes from what i can gather use recycled water, and where i live in Ayr, there are a lot of boats etc that have been out in the salt that get cleaned there,not to mention the mud covered 4x4's.

i wonder how well the filters clean the salt water out?