Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 04-12-2008, 05:50 PM   #31
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daymoe
If you have a few TB of Data? What are you going to use? That 400GB Bluray is coming in another 3 years, that's a long way away, and by then HDDs will probably be reaching 5TB+ and the amount of data being stored everywhere is going to be insanely huge.

a 500GB HDD isn't much going by desktop equipment, if you happen to use SCSI drives, well yeah you have a very valid point.
We're obviously talking different scales, I'm talking business applications, not home. I'm considering Petabytes of data not Terrabytes (hence the reason I stated a replacement for TBU as a backup medium).

At least drives in the future may have a healthier MTBF being solid state.

When I look at my home systems, I've got ~8TB all up but files that aren't replaceable or retrievable elsewhere would fit on a single CD very easily.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2008, 07:27 PM   #32
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
Are you serious?

Mean time before failure of a hard disk is roughly 3 years. Current DVD technology is said to have an archival life of ~100 years. Unsure of this new 16 layer technology as it's the first I've heard of it. That's not even taking into account the cost of hard drive storage vs DVD media storage.
Are you sure, I remember CD's had a storagle life of 10 years (before you get major errors in data transfer). Or is this stored in a certain way (dark, cool area where it must be kept dry)?
Old 04-12-2008, 07:51 PM   #33
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Are you sure, I remember CD's had a storagle life of 10 years (before you get major errors in data transfer). Or is this stored in a certain way (dark, cool area where it must be kept dry)?
DVD's are suggested to have a storage life of 100 years. We have to wait 90 odd years to see if that claim is actually true though. Re-writables anywhere from 25 years to 100 years. Go to the 24k gold plated DVD's and we're talking upwards of 300 years. However, if you skimp and go the cheapie blank DVD route, well... you get what you pay for.

No special storage is required but obviously you wouldn't use one as a beer coaster and expect your great grandkids to be able to see candid shots of their great grandma afterwards.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2008, 07:57 PM   #34
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Ahh ok, so the plastic used is better. Thanks
Old 07-12-2008, 04:43 PM   #35
StAndArdAU
Back in a Blue Oval

although not compatible with any current players etc, a company called Optware has developed a disc format called HVD (Holographic Versatile Disc) which can theoretically hold 3.9TB of data, so the technology is certainly here right now for very large disc storage. But like a few have said already, for the near future at least, this sort of thing would only be practical for archive storage by industries rather than for home use.