Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-11-2008, 06:58 PM   #1
MickyG
76 Fal Coupe

Default Tear Jerkers

Has anyone got any stories like mine? I bet you have?

Now I'm a lover of both Ford and Holden, certain models that is not every Ford I like and same goes for Holden. Here are two of my Tear Jerker stories.

My brother and I were driving near Malanda (Atherton Tablelands Near Cairns) about 15 years ago when I was 18 and bro 16, and hidden behind a tree on a dairy farm was a HK Monaro with a cardboard 'for sale' sign on it. So in we pulled in and asked what he wanted, 3k he said and we kept our cool and didn't kiss him on the forehead and talked him down to 2 and a half then we we headed back to Cairns to get the money, all this car needed was to be reupholstered everything else was excellent! Once we got back to Cairns my father found out what we were buying and forbade us handing over money for a 30 year old bomb and the only good car was a brand new corolla or those new fancy Daewoos that have just come out in the market and told my brother who wanted it more then life itself that he would not make the same mistake that his dumb brother did in buying an old bomb (ZD Fairlane in mint condition for $2500!). 2 weeks later he must have been at the pub telling his mates how dumb his kids were when he came rushing home saying we are off to Malanda to buy this HK (his mates must have told him he is a retard), HK had already been sold. I still want to slap him too this day.

2nd was a HG Monaro for sale at Atherton for a low price of $6500 this car was beautiful had the 350 chev and 2 speed powerglide and a desperate seller! The seller was so upset with himself in selling it and we knew we had to tread carefully to get this pearl. My brother being the Scotsman he is talked him down to $3500 the guy agreed but he called us every name under the sun and I thought he was tossing up whether to bash us or take the money and pay some gambling debts. We settled on the deal and he said come back tomorrow with the money just give him a call to find out when he will be there. When my brother called the next day this bloke abused him and said he would rather drive it off a cliff then sell it to him for that ridiculous price, my bro crumbled and said he would give him the asking price and he said too late he sold it to his mate for $3500 and my bro could suck his c*%#! Then hung up.

I bet there are some better stories out there then these!

Will be asking alot of questions as Lego is beyond me!
MickyG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2008, 07:07 PM   #2
ogtrip
Starter Motor

I bought a '84 toyota carolla for $100, sold the stereo in it for $450. Rolla still had 5 months rego on it so i drove it around for 5 months and sold it for the buying price...$100.
Old 18-11-2008, 07:11 PM   #3
MickyG
76 Fal Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogtrip
I bought a '84 toyota carolla for $100, sold the stereo in it for $450. Rolla still had 5 months rego on it so i drove it around for 5 months and sold it for the buying price...$100.

That's a happy story!

Old 18-11-2008, 07:34 PM   #4
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Was offered a Cobra about 12 years ago for 13 grand, tell him he's dreaming.
Bugger.
Old 18-11-2008, 07:50 PM   #5
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

bought an xe esp for 3500 sold it for 1500 still kicking myself
Boza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2008, 08:22 PM   #6
tankclare
BURN RUBBER NOT OIL

could of had a HR holden ute freshly painted metallic blue with fat dragways and a wroked 350 chev for $2000 but p plate laws stopped me

[SMOKES] FG XR6 build thread - http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=4795218#post4795218

tankclare is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2008, 08:29 PM   #7
xe351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

where are you, can i come kick you too? haha lol just jokes

Twin Horns 8-9/74 and lower horn dated 7-8/74, GT hubcaps. GT aircleaner. Please pm me if you can help
xe351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2008, 08:34 PM   #8
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Could have had a matching numbers XA GT in mint condition for 7k about 8 years ago.

I said no and I still hate myself.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2008, 08:38 PM   #9
xe351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i bet! dont worry, i still get mad when i think i could have had a one owner xa gt red, manual etc, been under the guys house for 20 years! all for 8k he sold it before i could come up with the cash

Twin Horns 8-9/74 and lower horn dated 7-8/74, GT hubcaps. GT aircleaner. Please pm me if you can help
xe351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2008, 09:20 PM   #10
MickyG
76 Fal Coupe

XAGT's will now forever be known as the 'Heartbreaker GT' after the above stories.

Old 18-11-2008, 10:50 PM   #11
last fairlane
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unhappy Two stories both in 1975

Bought GTS 327 Monaro from a car yard and paid $1750 yes $1.75K and while I had it was offered an XY GT for $5K and knocked it back told the guy it only cost $4500 5 years ago anyway traded the GTS 327 in on a VF Valiant wagon had to fit the kids somewhere
been crying ever since and thats not counting the Mk 2 Jag I knocked back for $700 back in 73 bought an AP6 Valiant for the same price instead
Bye for now JOHN
last fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2008, 11:16 PM   #12
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

^^^^^
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2008, 11:20 PM   #13
MickyG
76 Fal Coupe

hahhahahaa

Old 18-11-2008, 11:39 PM   #14
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

not a holden guy but when i was 17 a mate offered me his slr for 1500 of course i had next to no money then.been that way ever since most of us older guys wouldnt cough 15 for a ho in the 80s or 10 for a cobra ,im all cashed up now but these cars have gone through the roof .me and a mate scott nearly swaped his gemini for a xy gt a girl had in hervey bay,we exchanged for the week drove the doors off the gt and she did the same to the gemi .they both sorta pulled out these are sad times indeed
Old 19-11-2008, 12:08 AM   #15
johnny351
used to be johnny260

my uncle had a HG monaro sitting in my grandmothers garage so i thought id ask for it as my first car he said yeh sure cause he had another that was in better nick anyway. long story short him and granny hat a tiff and the car was sent to the wrecker ...i still hate him to this day but i ended up getting my ef so not all bad.
johnny351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2008, 12:51 AM   #16
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

Back in '96, my dad was looking for a car for my Mum, a mate offered him a mint, red '65 Mustang Convertible, for 12K, she opted for a new Suzuki Swift instead, i'm still mad with her over that

Other one, is my Dad had a '79 ZH 302 Fairlane in near original condition, always told me I could have it when I got my Ls, then sold it a month after my 15th birthday.

Bottom line, my parents have really boned me when it comes to cars.
Old 19-11-2008, 10:03 AM   #17
Lab_Boy

There is a rumor going round Tassie of a car collector on the west coast that restored old classics and had the shells of his next few projects at the business he owned.

Apparently the manager at the site told one of the apprentices to "clean up all that around the back" and the apprentice did, including an e-type and xc coupe. All loaded onto the local Sims metal truck for disposal. The real crime is that the shells were under tarps. fack knows how the guy didn't think maybe dont chuck the under tarps away

1977 351 Ford LTD!
Lab_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2008, 10:11 AM   #18
FTE72
Red is nice Mark.

1994... mate wanted to sell his diamond white XY GT matching numbers. For me $9500. I said " Too much mate.. no thanks". I am an Idiot. :
Fortunately.. he still owns it, and the keys will have to be ripped from his cold dead fingers.
TE 50 #72 Blueprint & TS 50 #105 Blueprint
:
FTE72 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2008, 10:19 AM   #19
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Offered a genuine K XYGS fairmont, 4 speed vermillion fire, in mint condition in 2000 for the small small sum of 10k.... It hurts still
Old 19-11-2008, 11:13 PM   #20
krt10
eskyman

not car related but the old man had dealings with a company in dubai before it reall took off. he went over there and looked at buying an apartment right near the beach. pulled out at the last second. bugga
Old 20-11-2008, 11:51 AM   #21
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

didn't know you could actually own property in dubai, thought it had to be rented off the local 23 year old billionaire prince heh or does that only count for actual land and not apartment buildings?
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2008, 02:30 PM   #22
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickyG
Has anyone got any stories like mine? I bet you have?

Now I'm a lover of both Ford and Holden, certain models that is not every Ford I like and same goes for Holden. Here are two of my Tear Jerker stories.

My brother and I were driving near Malanda (Atherton Tablelands Near Cairns) about 15 years ago when I was 18 and bro 16, and hidden behind a tree on a dairy farm was a HK Monaro with a cardboard 'for sale' sign on it. So in we pulled in and asked what he wanted, 3k he said and we kept our cool and didn't kiss him on the forehead and talked him down to 2 and a half then we we headed back to Cairns to get the money, all this car needed was to be reupholstered everything else was excellent! Once we got back to Cairns my father found out what we were buying and forbade us handing over money for a 30 year old bomb and the only good car was a brand new corolla or those new fancy Daewoos that have just come out in the market and told my brother who wanted it more then life itself that he would not make the same mistake that his dumb brother did in buying an old bomb (ZD Fairlane in mint condition for $2500!). 2 weeks later he must have been at the pub telling his mates how dumb his kids were when he came rushing home saying we are off to Malanda to buy this HK (his mates must have told him he is a retard), HK had already been sold. I still want to slap him too this day.

2nd was a HG Monaro for sale at Atherton for a low price of $6500 this car was beautiful had the 350 chev and 2 speed powerglide and a desperate seller! The seller was so upset with himself in selling it and we knew we had to tread carefully to get this pearl. My brother being the Scotsman he is talked him down to $3500 the guy agreed but he called us every name under the sun and I thought he was tossing up whether to bash us or take the money and pay some gambling debts. We settled on the deal and he said come back tomorrow with the money just give him a call to find out when he will be there. When my brother called the next day this bloke abused him and said he would rather drive it off a cliff then sell it to him for that ridiculous price, my bro crumbled and said he would give him the asking price and he said too late he sold it to his mate for $3500 and my bro could suck his c*%#! Then hung up.

I bet there are some better stories out there then these!
Both sad stories indeed. The moral is:
Story #1 - Don't listen to your parents!!
Story #2 - When offered a bargain don't be a tightarse and argue about the price!!

My sad stories are:
In the mid to late '80's passing up the chance of buying an XC Cobra twice in the space of 3 months, it had come up in the Trading Post. I couldn't come up with the money. Advertised price was just over $5K and the Cobra was number 009!! : :

In 1997 I let my mint condition XY go, a K code Fairmont GS Auto in Bronze Wine, stock as a rock apart from wheels and suspension. $10K. The dude who bought it still has it and I see it at the All Ford Day every year. It's better than ever now so that's some consolation.

Time to give myself another uppercut!! :

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2008, 03:04 PM   #23
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Mate of mine, (Wont say his name on here, Surely some FF regulars will know him) During the 80's silently built himself up a collection of production GTs, He had every single one in the collection from XT onwards, incl HO's and a GT Capri, When the EB GT was released, he could not afford one at the time and sold all the others, He did not want one if he could not have the lot.
He's really spewing now.
GTpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2008, 05:05 PM   #24
killerjoolz
KillerXR8

years ago my hubby sold an XY GS ute with full GT instrumentation etc for $1500.....we are still crying over that sale....lol

2009 TWEEKD FG XR8 IN SILHOUETTE
all mods done by Walter Markham from Oztek Performance
killerjoolz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2008, 09:58 PM   #25
Steve
torque is your friend

Could've bought a Goss XA coupe for $7,000 a couple of years back. The guy said to get back to him and he'd tell me if he was ready to sell. I forgot to call him back and he later decided to keep it.
Old 20-11-2008, 11:24 PM   #26
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I knocked back an XY GS falcon for 1500 in the NT about 6 years ago. No rego but came with a pit clearance pass, so pay rego and all was good.

Knocked it back as i wanted something reliable...

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2008, 01:03 AM   #27
tankclare
BURN RUBBER NOT OIL

Uncle use to have a mint HG Monaro on his Ps (back when they were cheap and no one thought of them) and one day he got the shits with someone or something and went to the bush and crashed it into trees etc then smashed it up with an axe. Whenever i hear the stroy i feel like knocking him out.

After that he got a HQ 2 door monaro.

[SMOKES] FG XR6 build thread - http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=4795218#post4795218

tankclare is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post