Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-11-2008, 11:13 PM   #1
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 
Default AMC article on Fords awful marketing

There's an article in the latest Australian Muscle Car magazine (Issue 40) titled:

"Ford G6E - awesome car, awful marketing."

For those who haven't got this magazine, it basically says what most of us have been saying ever since the launch of the FG series.

Quote:
AMC drove Fords top shelf FG sedan model, the G6E with 6 speed auto over an extended period recently. Apart from its exceptional smoothness and ability to swallow long distances, its overall fuel economy of 10 litres/100km -including our normal cycle of short trips and city running - was staggering.

It was running as low as 7.8 litres /100km on the highway, a figure that Australias best selling small cars will struggle to match with auto and air conditioning on.

It has prompted AMC to ask why this message is not out there, when the G6E's official fuel figures are one of the few that can be achieved in real world conditions by almost any driver.

AMC sheets the blame to what we reckon is one of the worst new car advertising campaigns to ever surface in Australia. When Ford was convinced that it as working, AMC reserved any comment. However, even Ford insiders are mow acknowledging it was a shocker. At best, it was an ad for well manicured fingers and wind generators, neither of which had anything to do with why you should buy a G6E.

Our selling pitch for the G6E, which is not unlike Holdens current down-to-earth advertising, would be along the lines of the following:

Five star safety, five star appointments, five star performance, five star accommodation for five big Australians.

For just $3.50 extra in fuel per 100 km
(compared to a Toyota Corolla, even less fully laden on the highway!)

The lack of clear, accurate information about the numerous impressive gains Ford has made in the FG range is prompting a whole nation to dismiss its own cars and jobs when the product has never been better, safer or more fuel efficient.

Throw LPG into the equation and they are actually cheaper to run.

Go figure!
The article as above seems so true. Hopefully Ford marketing has noticed this article and is now taking the appropriate action to correct the situation. (Wishful thinking!!)

Last edited by Silver Ghia; 17-11-2008 at 11:20 PM.
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2008, 11:25 PM   #2
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Quote:
The article as above seems so true. Hopefully Ford marketing has noticed this article and is now taking the appropriate action to correct the situation. (Wishful thinking!!)
People only know what their told and if ford are too stupid to tell people what a brilliant car the FG is and they don't sell they only have them selves to blame some of the ford management need to take a long look at them selves about how they stuffed up the launch of one of the best aussie built cars ever.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2008, 11:25 PM   #3
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

I reckon the G6/E/T's are stunning, i can't get enough of them. It's a real dissappiontment to see so few on the roads. If i had 55k spare you'd better believe I'd have one in the garage right now. But just call it wishful thinking, but once the G series numbers start getting up and more and more hit the road it will have a greater impression on people.
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2008, 06:03 AM   #4
Jayden
Graphic Artist

Maybe they are brilliant strategists and are letting it build momentum based on word of mouth like many now iconic cars have done in the past.

...no. no... they hired a bunch of typical marketing BS artists. I almost thought I could do marketing not that long ago, but I have a soul I want to keep.
Old 18-11-2008, 09:57 AM   #5
spatel
Falcon Fan!

Like I've said in other topics, Ford just seem to be helping the demise of the fantastic Falcon. Like others have said above, the FG is the best Falcon to be produced and it such a shame the sales and marketing of this car are not at its peak.

A lot of emphasis has been put on export markets, which does help, but start concentrating on Australian customers for starters and get them buying the FG.
spatel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2008, 10:22 AM   #6
Rock ape

Hey Ford you have a better car than Holden. So why don't you tell Australia that???????

New FG XR6T ZF
Rock ape is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2008, 10:33 AM   #7
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Both Holden and Ford are burying their heads in the sand... people dont want to spend $100+ filling up their cars every week. If the FG can trump the commodore, and even approach camry economy, it beggars belief they arent making a bigger deal of this.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2008, 11:59 AM   #8
superpursuit83
KITTY Crew Member

I read that article too and they have it spot on. Lets hope the new chief can get it right

BAII Super Pursuit 0083

Awsome power by XTREME FORD TUNING 500rwkw New ALLOY Block

Awesome exhaust by THE EXHAUST CENTRE MIDLAND

Awesome Kenne Bell Supercharger setup by AGRO! and Bluepower Racing Developments

Now with full DOT approval and Permitted for road use
superpursuit83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2008, 12:43 PM   #9
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son
Both Holden and Ford are burying their heads in the sand... people dont want to spend $100+ filling up their cars every week. If the FG can trump the commodore, and even approach camry economy, it beggars belief they arent making a bigger deal of this.
I would prefer to spend $100 on fuel and enjoy driving my car, knowing I have leg room, arm room, as well as luggage room, along with a decent crumple zone, than drive a pokey little buzz box that offers less protection in an accident and gives me less room.

But you're right...Ford don't help themselves, due to inept marketing. I'd love to see the point of fuel economy, comfort, smoothness and quality (compared to other Australian cars) all brought to the fore, rather than fingers walking, which I immediately link to the Yellow Pages anyway.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2008, 01:44 PM   #10
pwr4ce
Donating Member2

Ford doesnt seem to inspire much passion into there marketing.
You see there Ads and ask why would I?
Holden on the other hand gives you reasons to want to buy there product

I think Ford waste a lot of money on ineffective marketing!
pwr4ce is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2008, 03:01 PM   #11
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

I have been thinking for a long time that Ford need to attack Holden directly in its advertising. Kind of like the battery adverts that point out how poor another brand is at powering digital devices. Enough of this feel-good music and happy voice overs with limited-time deals with the sun shining. We need stats and direct comparisons in our face. Not everyone reads or appreciates humourous Aussie motoring reviews in magazines

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2008, 03:04 PM   #12
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

On a different topic (seeing that I don't want to start a thread for this...I am not important enough), December's Street Machine has an FG coupe under "Expression Session".

Although acknowledging that it will not come into fruition due to the struggle of Australian car companies, along with the fact that people don't want coupes, they wanted a nice looking car.

I reckon it looks awesome, but looks similar in respects to what some people have already done here.

Keep your eye out. It's a good 1-minute read.

If Ford did produce the vehicle, I reckon it would certainly turn heads. Ford kind of needs that at the moment.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2008, 03:16 PM   #13
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauphin
I have been thinking for a long time that Ford need to attack Holden directly in its advertising. Kind of like the battery adverts that point out how poor another brand is at powering digital devices. Enough of this feel-good music and happy voice overs with limited-time deals with the sun shining. We need stats and direct comparisons in our face. Not everyone reads or appreciates humourous Aussie motoring reviews in magazines

i dissagree! holdens aren't doing that well either. Ford need to start marketing the car against the likes of Aurion, camry, accord etc. even though some/all of these cars may be more fuel efficient the difference in real world dollars is negligible. people get a little bit hung up on the L/100km figure when in all reality, a difference of 1,2 or even 3L/100km is only about $6 - $18 over an average tank fill (60L). when you take into account the extra size, safety etc it is easily able to compete with the jap/euro brands.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2008, 03:24 PM   #14
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

Prydey, I agree that Ford should also compare directly against the other brands with their large car products. I'd love to see that.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2008, 03:33 PM   #15
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I remember back in the EL days, Ford had an add in the magasines showing the back of an XR8, then saying the only view you get from an SS.
T3ts50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2008, 03:37 PM   #16
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Prydey, I agree that Ford should also compare directly against the other brands with their large car products. I'd love to see that.
along the lines of the Mac versus PC ads ..... i'd like to see that!
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2008, 03:48 PM   #17
FalconXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is just what many of us have been banging on about since the launch of FG. Maybe now that it's actually in print some of the nay-sayers may start beleiving.

While I agree Ford should actually market their cars with an intelligent approach, I also believe Ford should give it's current loyal fan base some marketing to be proud of (i.e. 3 straight Bathurst wins, manufacturers title, etc).

Some of you wowsers out there claim it's irrelivent. But it's not. It's all about having pride in your product. It may or may not sell any extra vehicles in the short term but it will give it's current loyal fan base a shot of much needed pride.
FalconXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2008, 04:04 PM   #18
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son
along the lines of the Mac versus PC ads ..... i'd like to see that!
Heaps of other suggestions here

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11235894
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2008, 04:11 PM   #19
aualright

Just noticed a full page advert (p19) in NRMAs Open Road that compares Ford's eGas economy with the Mazda 3 and Corolla. It's a start, I guess.

VERBATIM:
"FORD E-GAS. SAY GOODBYE TO HIGH FUEL COSTS. Without compromising on large car performance, safety or comfort, E-Gas sedans deliver outstanding savings on fuel. You can save as much as 19% compared to a petrol powered 2l Mazda 3 and up to 9% compared to a 1.8l Toyota Corolla. Ford is the only manufacturer in Australia to offer a dedicated factory fit E-Gas engine, optional on selected Falcon models. Clearly then, E-Gas powered by LPG and with LOWER FUEL COSTS THAN SOME SMALL CARS, is a smarter alternative fuel.

aualright is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2008, 04:46 PM   #20
Steve
torque is your friend

This is slightly off topic re Ford ads but people are living in smaller and smaller places with less land around them, less parking space, smaller parking spaces and far more traffic on the road. Combine that with the number of immigrants who come from countries where a smaller car is the norm plus the fact that so few cars have more than two people in them at any time and is it any wonder large cars aren't selling?
Old 18-11-2008, 08:44 PM   #21
ehast13
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was looking at a new camry the other day and the 4 cylinder auto has a combined as2877 of less than 1litre per hundred k than a stocko 5sp auto falcon.

pfft

i bet joe public doesn't know that.

they should
ehast13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2008, 10:10 PM   #22
GTP290

I dont believe people are buying smaller cars and not buying larger vehicles, because there are hundreds of Ford Territorys, Toyota Klugers and other 4WD sized cars out there.
I havent seen an FG add since the olympic games were on, and that was months ago!
I think Topgear done more good for the FG than anyone in Ford has ever done for the product! Ford need to get the product out there and flog it to death, the car is good so it will sell, so why doesnt Ford push it more!!
Old 18-11-2008, 10:26 PM   #23
OZQUAD44
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

regarding the AMC story, I was saying this exact thing about advertising months ago, and many of the so-called Ford enthusists on here were bad mouthing me that I should even suggest that ford should be advertising how good they are on fuel.

The poor perception people have of the Falcon in this country never ceases to amaze me. I meet so many people who aren't car enthusists that just overlook the Falcon as a option without even a second glance?

Ford advertising SUX. Hopefully the FG will shine through for what it is, despite FoMoCo pitiful attempt to sell it..
OZQUAD44 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2008, 10:27 PM   #24
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP290
I havent seen an FG add since the olympic games were on, and that was months ago!
I think Topgear done more good for the FG than anyone in Ford has ever done for the product! Ford need to get the product out there and flog it to death, the car is good so it will sell, so why doesnt Ford push it more!!
Their bucket of money for marketing the FG has probably run out. Wasted on that marketing company that seems good at marketing themselves much better than the products they are supposed to be marketing.
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2008, 11:08 PM   #25
Late braker

In this day and age, maybe it's not good enough to just let the engineering of a car and it's good points sell the car to the public. A marketing campaign using success in racing should be used widely, afterall, isn't that why Ford is in V8 Supercar?
Late braker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2008, 11:10 PM   #26
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Haha, i reckon they should spend all their money on a good ad, then pay out all the TV stations for a weeks worth of all their advertising space and just spam the ad one after another for ALL the advertising space on all channels inbetween and after programs.

Brainwash people to buy Ford.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2008, 01:59 AM   #27
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

and not forgetting the f6, i have been flicking through different papers and seen 2 road tests from different places testing f6 utes, they got a very good write up and yet havent seen many ads for them, Toyota`s ads seem pretty good, the bugger ads, oh what a feeling , all ads that stick in your mind, saw a Toyo add recently selling how tuff the hilux ute was tumbling it over end over end, will never forget it, fingers walking along a window ....boring....forgetable.....uninspiring.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post