Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-07-2005, 06:43 AM   #1
riverrat321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Checking full vehicles history

Anyone know if it's possible to check a vehicles full history through the rta? Just to find out if car was ever reported stolen or if it's ever been unregistered? Also to see if k's traved each year add up. I have a vn Connodore with 140,000 k's but don't have a service history and would like to find out if these k's are genuine. Thanks..

riverrat321 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2005, 09:15 AM   #2
EA2BA
PM me if you want

AFIK there is no way to ever confirm the k's, you can do a revs check to make sure the vehichle is not under finance, and not stolen, but thats all.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2005, 07:38 PM   #3
riverrat321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thats not good. Thought the rta may be able to tell me the recorded k's each year throughout the life of the car. If they went backwards on year I could see there was a problem. I asked at the rta and they said I coulden't but I thought I might have just asked the wrong person.
riverrat321 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2005, 08:02 PM   #4
b2tf
not here much anymore

The only things the RTA can tell you about any car is:

VIN and engine ID numbers etc.
Whether it has ever been reported stolen
How many registered owners it has had
Who has issued 3rd party insurance for the vehicle
Old 12-07-2005, 08:04 PM   #5
Kryton

why would the RTA keep track of the Kms each car does?
have you ever been asked by them to provide the Kms on your car when you pay rego?
NO - because they dont care.
the only time they would know the Kms on a car would be when it changes owners, and that would be written on the RWC you have to provide. even if they enter this info into the data base, they still cant tell you coz of privacy laws.

have a look around the car for the general condition of things. does the drivers seat look like its done 300000km? is the steering wheel overly worn? is the gearstick knob overly worn? what about the carpet? door trims?
you can easily sus things out by looking at things that would get the most wear when your in a car.
its quite possible that it is original Kms.
there was a $15000 VL at Carlin & Gazards a while ago that had a genuine 4000km (or some stupidly low amount like that) and even had the new car smell still.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2005, 08:24 PM   #6
RegSpec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=davway]why would the RTA keep track of the Kms each car does?
have you ever been asked by them to provide the Kms on your car when you pay rego?
NO - because they dont care.
Wrong!! The RTA does check KMs to guard against people who wind back speedos. This is why every time you get a pink slip to rego your car the first thing the mechanic writes down is how many KMs on the speedo.
If they wanted to, they could tell you how many KMs the car had on it every time it was ever registered. However it would require an archive search and they probably just couldnt be bothered. :yeees:
RegSpec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2005, 11:21 PM   #7
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by redebxr8
Wrong!! The RTA does check KMs to guard against people who wind back speedos. This is why every time you get a pink slip to rego your car the first thing the mechanic writes down is how many KMs on the speedo.
If they wanted to, they could tell you how many KMs the car had on it every time it was ever registered. However it would require an archive search and they probably just couldnt be bothered. :yeees:
so whats your point? everything you have said, i have already said. no one is disputing the fact that the Kms are recorded every time it CHANGES OWNERS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
the only time they would know the Kms on a car would be when it changes owners, and that would be written on the RWC you have to provide. even if they enter this info into the data base, they still cant tell you coz of privacy laws.
this is what my answer was to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverrat321
Thought the rta may be able to tell me the recorded k's each year throughout the life of the car. If they went backwards on year I could see there was a problem. I asked at the rta and they said I coulden't but I thought I might have just asked the wrong person.
so in actual fact i am NOT wrong in any way. :
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post