Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 18-05-2008, 08:21 PM   #121
XCSEDAN
i'm baaaack....

personally i think this is a joke, out where i live you need as much vision as you can get at night, i have had too many near misses with roos, rabbits, cats, wombats, dogs, etc at 80+ kays because i can't see out to the sides of the car well enough which is something every car i have driven with foglights HELPS WITH!

i can understand why people dont like them, but honestly, how many cars are that low that foglights actually hit you in the eyes unless your coming up over a hill?(in which case you cop the headlights anyway) they are designed to be under the fog so about 1-2ft off the ground even at <200m the lights aren't blinding enough to actually blind you.

on low beams on the XC i can only see 15ft in front of me (MAX, thanks to dim yellow glowing things called headlights), if they dont bother me, how the hell can they bother anyone else!?
4WD headlights are a bigger issue, as they are straight in the line of sight.
Old 19-05-2008, 01:07 PM   #122
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremerus
As it seems to be all a play on words, why can't I use the 'fog' lights when I am 'driving'. I do realise that they are different lenses etc. but it seems to me to be just a legal issue in the use of them.
Use them all you like - but turn them off within 400 Metres of another vehicle.
Unless you want two risks
1) Law
2) dazzling the oncoming driver

Even a small risk of dazzling the oncoming driver would easily override any advantages of the extra light.

This is a bit of a pet for me, because rules that increase a drivers awareness of other drivers is by far (IMNSHO) the best way to improve road safety (rather than a proliferetion of speed limits, speed cameras and Radar/Lidar Guns !)
Old 19-05-2008, 03:21 PM   #123
XR06T
13.96 @ 101.65

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCSEDAN
~snip
you do make a good point.
Old 19-05-2008, 04:25 PM   #124
Quicklier
Perfecting the 1-2 change

Quote:
i can understand why people dont like them, but honestly, how many cars are that low that foglights actually hit you in the eyes unless your coming up over a hill?(in which case you cop the headlights anyway) they are designed to be under the fog so about 1-2ft off the ground even at <200m the lights aren't blinding enough to actually blind you.
I was playing with my headlights over the weekend and realised that my 'fog' lights on the Forester shine so far down that I can take 3 steps from the front of my car and have my feet in darkness. So, roughly a 40 degree angle from horizontal. So unless the car was coming 'head on' in a tight Flinders Lane car park, I can't see how they would be dazzled by my 55W fog lights.

And with all my km's on the Melbourne roads, the only 'dazzling' is done by VY-VZ commodores. They appear to be the only real fog lights (horizontal beam) that are in use.

Even the logo on my foglight switch shows a dipped beam (as opposed to the rear fog light and high beam logo).
Old 19-05-2008, 04:55 PM   #125
Hybrid34
|AFordEd|

Just saw this thread, not sure if anyone has already said it, but I've posted this up on fordmods,...to clear it up for people

Ok I have read ALL the Documents and called up Vic Roads and Spoke to a Representative, here as follows Note* Vic only:
You ARE aloud to have your fog lights on at all times of the day under any condition, as long as the fog lights are positioned correctly not Dazzling or distracting drivers infront of your Vehicle.
Thus For Factory Xr6 Foglamps, this is permitted and Police cannot defect you for this....

Secondly Courtesy lamps have to be used as Cornering Lamps, thus when indicator goes on, lamp goes on, when its off lamp goes off, this thus means you cannot RE-WIRE it up so that Cornering lamps are on constantly...not only this but Cornering Lamps are only permitted to come on when the vechile is doing less than 40km perhr...

Saying this you can wire up customized foglamps (in replace of your Courtesy/Cornering lamps) having to comply with the following;
-250mm off the groudn
-400mm inwards of the side of the car
-must both be symmetrical from one another

I know NSW DONOT have this rule, and Vicroads may very well change these standards next year, but as up till now all the Victorians should be fine...

Hope this clears things up

- Ash
3:4:5 LSD diff
JMM Extractors
2.5" Stainless Steel highflow cat
2.5" Exhaust
T5 transmission
Front Slotted rotors
Lowered on Pedders Sports Ryders
....and a cherry scented airfreshner

Speed determines how fast you hit the Traffic Light....Power determines how far you take it with you.

Last edited by Hybrid34; 19-05-2008 at 05:12 PM.
Old 19-05-2008, 05:01 PM   #126
davez104
Landau = GT with the lot!

Doesn't stop you looking like a ****err :
Old 19-05-2008, 06:10 PM   #127
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicklier
And with all my km's on the Melbourne roads, the only 'dazzling' is done by VY-VZ commodores. They appear to be the only real fog lights (horizontal beam) that are in use.

Even the logo on my foglight switch shows a dipped beam (as opposed to the rear fog light and high beam logo).
If 'fogs' are used in the city their only use is in the "Look at me and my cool lights" category.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid34
Secondly Courtesy lamps have to be used as Cornering Lamps, thus when indicator goes on, lamp goes on, when its off lamp goes off, this thus means you cannot RE-WIRE it up so that Cornering lamps are on constantly...not only this but Cornering Lamps are only permitted to come on when the vechile is doing less than 40km perhr...
HUH? so the 'Cornering lamps flash in time with the indicator?'... Whoa, the ricers will love this one
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR06T
Quote:
you do make a good point.
Rubbish.If a (dipped) headlight is aligned properly they should not be in anyone's line of sight.
Old 19-05-2008, 08:10 PM   #128
Hybrid34
|AFordEd|

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
HUH? so the 'Cornering lamps flash in time with the indicator?'... Whoa, the ricers will love this one

No, The corneing lamps come on and stay on when your parkers are on constantly, (which is illegal or unroadworthy)...
Quote:
...this thus means you cannot RE-WIRE it up so that Cornering lamps are on constantly...
JMM Extractors
2.5" Exhaust
T5 transmission
Front Slotted rotors

Speed determines how fast you hit the Traffic Light....Power determines how far you take it with you.
Old 19-05-2008, 08:21 PM   #129
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
Why are you looking that close at the kerb while you're driving?

Is it worth them being on and seeing that close to the kerb while potentially blinding drivers that are heading towards you?
Your are getting fog lights and driving lights mixed up... Fog lights fitted correctly as they are in my WRX shine ON GROUND about 15 Mtrs in front of car ... With no centre marking on roads you have to know where kurb is to know where you are on road..To keep as far left as possible.. Seen and been to too many accidents where drivers keep to middle of road in bad conditions...

If you have a problem with WRX drivers having fog lights ???
I suggest you see someone about your problem !!!
If you think I'm a WRX driver with cap on backwards type driver ? You better think again!!

The cornering lights that come on when indicator is on ... Is fitted to Faimont Ghia's and Fairlanes...So its no rice ...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4

Last edited by ebxr8240; 19-05-2008 at 08:29 PM.
Old 19-05-2008, 08:24 PM   #130
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
Your are getting fog lights and driving lights mixed up... Fog lights fitted correctly as they are in my WRX shine ON GROUND about 15 Mtrs in front of car ... With no centre marking on roads you have to know where kurb is to know where you are on road..To keep as far left as possible.. Seen and been to too many accidents where drivers keep to middle of road in bad conditions...
And all these years I thought thats what low beam was for.
Old 19-05-2008, 08:30 PM   #131
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Quote:
And all these years I thought thats what low beam was for.
Yep and fog lights are between low beam ....
You seem to worry about people having something you don't have !!!
Good, well speced cars have these options....
Daily driver GTE FG..
Old 19-05-2008, 08:42 PM   #132
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Not at all. I have a truck with them on. A totally useless light. If you have to see the ground THAT close to your car give it away.
Old 19-05-2008, 08:57 PM   #133
davez104

Quote:
If you have to see the ground THAT close to your car give it away.

Unless it is in extreme weather conditions, ie fog, then it is understandable that they might be handy. But really, the little bit extra light they provide out the sides in normal driving is pointless, if you have not seen an obgect by the time it makes it into the light from your foggies then your gonna hit it anyway. I will agree with previous post regarding the commodore fog lights being the worst offenders, there is no question. There is also no need to have them on in normal weather, it's all **** value.

But you can rest easy in the knowledge that if you do struggle to see, and need to have them on when coming my way, my lightforce will assist you in your plight by lighting your way : :
Old 19-05-2008, 08:57 PM   #134
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

A car is way lower to ground , a truck has more forward vision being higher..Pluss the fact they are much slower around tight corners... I find fog lights give better wider peripheral vision while normal lights tend to have pencil beam..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Old 19-05-2008, 09:11 PM   #135
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:

If you have a problem with WRX drivers having fog lights ???
I suggest you see someone about your problem !!!
If you think I'm a WRX driver with cap on backwards type driver ? You better think again!!

The cornering lights that come on when indicator is on ... Is fitted to Faimont Ghia's and Fairlanes...So its no rice ...
In your defence, I can't recall a single instance where a WRX's foggies have dazzled me.

However, spotting something 15 meters infront of you that only your foggies uncovered would require superhuman reflexes to avoid at any reasonable speed.
Old 19-05-2008, 09:13 PM   #136
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
There we go again.. Jealous that you don't have foglights defence!

For the last 9 years, I owned a car that had foglights. Never used them. Today I took delivery of a car that doesn't have foglights. Jealous. :(
Old 20-05-2008, 02:40 AM   #137
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
There we go again.. Jealous that you don't have foglights defence!

For the last 9 years, I owned a car that had foglights. Never used them. Today I took delivery of a car that doesn't have foglights. Jealous. :(
Good on ya !!! I have no issues with that !!!
Daily driver GTE FG..
Old 20-05-2008, 05:32 AM   #138
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Blinded by a car tonight.

Kept flashing my high beams, I saw no action from him so I turned my high beams on and left them on.

A few seconds later he flashes his actual high beams (So I'm thinking wtf???)

As I got closer to him it was explained.

What I originally thought to be his high beams were his bloody driving lights.
Old 20-05-2008, 06:17 AM   #139
davez104

Mate, I hate to have to tell you this, but if his normal lights where on low beam and his "driving" lights where on, then they were NOT driving lights, they where bloody fog lights. Driving lights will go off when you dip your lights to low beam.

Dave.
Old 20-05-2008, 08:18 AM   #140
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have no problem with front fog lights, I have them on both my cars & rarely use them, usually only in fog/snow.

I have a real problem with euro driving w**kers who have there rear fog light on in clear conditions, now that dazzles :
Old 20-05-2008, 09:38 AM   #141
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE
I have no problem with front fog lights, I have them on both my cars & rarely use them, usually only in fog/snow.

I have a real problem with euro driving w**kers who have there rear fog light on in clear conditions, now that dazzles :
I have a real problem with Aussie driving w**kers who don't have a rear fog light on in hideous fog, rain or bushfire conditions. Now that is bad!

Heck, I'd authorise HWP to pull offenders from cars and summarily execute them on the spot for having either lamp on in clear conditions. But that's just me:-)

All discussed in earlier posts;- newcomers should have the courtesy of reading preceding pages.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8FkL...eature=related
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Old 20-05-2008, 09:40 AM   #142
Orbit
Resident Nyctophobic!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
I have a real problem with Aussie driving w**kers who don't have a rear fog light on in hideous fog, rain or bushfire conditions. Now that is bad!

Heck, I'd authorise HWP to pull offenders from cars and summarily execute them on the spot for having either lamp on in clear conditions. But that's just me:-)

All discussed in earlier posts;- newcomers should do have the courtesy of reading preceding pages.

retrospective abortion is unfortunatley illegal...
Old 20-05-2008, 10:20 AM   #143
Hybrid34
|AFordEd|

Tell you what I hate,
Old Grandma's or Old Chinese people who have just got their license and drive around with their highbeams on, ...you flash them with yours and their thinking why your doing it...
(mentioned that category cause I constantly see it happen)...
JMM Extractors
2.5" Exhaust
T5 transmission
Front Slotted rotors

Old 20-05-2008, 11:31 AM   #144
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft

All discussed in earlier posts;- newcomers should have the courtesy of reading preceding pages.

Sorry for not reading all 6 pages of waffle before expressing my opinion _
Old 20-05-2008, 12:23 PM   #145
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe they really SHOULD be made legal for the safety of all. The road can be a dangerous place. Advisory signs are installed at tight corners or blind rises.
L plates are fitted to show other motorists that the driver is under instruction and may do "interesting" things.
Red P plates are fitted to show other motorists that the driver has very little experience and may do "interesting" things without anyone to advise them not to.
Green P plates are fitted to show other motorists that the driver will do exactly the same things as Red P plates except faster and more often.

So instead of a W plate to show other motorists that the oncoming driver is basking in a self absorbed delusion that he is convinced that everyone else wants to look at him driving his extra cool car while he is thinking negative comments about others who have shopping trolly wings, neons and cannon exhausts for this purpose, a universal W indicator, fog lights on a clear day, could be used.

After all "look at me" usually means "take extra notice of me, I am a poser and may do silly or unsafe things to get attention" and forewarned is forearmed in the daily battle of road travel.
Old 20-05-2008, 12:50 PM   #146
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Maybe they really SHOULD be made legal for the safety of all. The road can be a dangerous place. Advisory signs are installed at tight corners or blind rises.
L plates are fitted to show other motorists that the driver is under instruction and may do "interesting" things.
Red P plates are fitted to show other motorists that the driver has very little experience and may do "interesting" things without anyone to advise them not to.
Green P plates are fitted to show other motorists that the driver will do exactly the same things as Red P plates except faster and more often.

So instead of a W plate to show other motorists that the oncoming driver is basking in a self absorbed delusion that he is convinced that everyone else wants to look at him driving his extra cool car while he is thinking negative comments about others who have shopping trolly wings, neons and cannon exhausts for this purpose, a universal W indicator, fog lights on a clear day, could be used.

After all "look at me" usually means "take extra notice of me, I am a poser and may do silly or unsafe things to get attention" and forewarned is forearmed in the daily battle of road travel.
10/10
Old 20-05-2008, 03:13 PM   #147
Hybrid34
|AFordEd|

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist

HAHAHAHHAHA, As much as I like my cars, Exhaust, lowered niccly, flashy wheels, and so forth..I'll give you that!, must have spent some time writing that up..well worded

+1 Flappist
JMM Extractors
2.5" Exhaust
T5 transmission
Front Slotted rotors

Old 20-05-2008, 08:53 PM   #148
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Tell you what I hate,
Old Grandma's or Old Chinese people who have just got their license and drive around with their highbeams on, ...you flash them with yours and their thinking why your doing it...
(mentioned that category cause I constantly see it happen)...
an indian at my work bought an au falcon and got caught the next day or soon after driving with high beam on. on the spot fine of $200+. he tried to explain to the cop that it was a new car and he wasn't quite familiar with it and the copper replied (and rightly so) he was obliged to become familiar with the vehicle before driving it around. ignorance is not an excuse.

and another 10/10 for FLAPPIST! even SOURBASTARD would be proud of that post.
Old 20-05-2008, 09:08 PM   #149
Orbit
Resident Nyctophobic!!

comedy gold!
Old 20-05-2008, 09:15 PM   #150
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

why is this thread still alive? Whinge vs counter whinge vs counter counter whinge!

Die stupid thread! Die!

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Closed Thread