Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-05-2008, 11:45 AM   #1
wabo
Starter Motor

Default Any help guys...

Hi guys, long time reader first time poster...I'm after your help. Basically i'm working on a project where i have to define 'car/motor' enthusiasts. If you could help by giving your thoughts i'd really appreciate it. What makes a motor enthusiast? Why do you define yourself as a motor enthusiast (if you do)? Any thoughts you've got would be great. cheers guys

wabo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2008, 02:05 PM   #2
TadKa
Wait? What?

I think cars are pretty.
TadKa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2008, 02:27 PM   #3
aye you
The Origional, The Best

i like shiny wheels. that count?
Lowerage on KingSprings Lows | Engine...Period | Sounds System

I Use And Recommend F1 Tyres And Wheels On The Gold Coast

Proud Supporter of Beat The Heat (NT)
aye you is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2008, 02:46 PM   #4
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Doesnt take much to be constructive, dont reply if your not.
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2008, 03:02 PM   #5
LOWBA6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think a motor enthusiast is someone who takes pride in taking care of their vehicle, modifying it to their personal taste, maybe knows a thing or 2 about the mechanical side of it. Its quite hard to put into words really.
LOWBA6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2008, 03:13 PM   #6
stiddy
Banned

Nothing better to do today minge?

A car enthusiast is somebody who as an unusual pre-occupation with their car, wants to spend time with that car, wants to love it, wants to make it look as good as it can possibly look.. and go as fast as it can go.
Its a hobby, and that hobby breaks up into two directions: either they want to make the car exactly original, the way it was when it was brand new, or they want to customise it and personalise it in some way.
They are fixated on their cars and love to be with other car guys/girls and share their stories - why they did this or that.
They love to take the car and drive it either to a car show or just down the street and having people give them thumbs up and saying how cool their car is.. (maybe because its pretty with shiney wheels). It becomes a part of ones perosnality.
The defining element is that cars get them so excited (amoungst other feelings) and they just can't spend enough time working on them and loving them.
Example - Someone who is not a car enthusiast looks at polishing the car as work. For enthusiats we look at is as fun. 'Others' just look at it as a mode of transport. We just like to pull up a chair and just look at the car - the styling, the lines.. just admire the car.
It takes another car enthusiast to understand that and that's why the majority of us all get along and like to hang out together be it a forum or in person.

Last edited by stiddy; 15-05-2008 at 03:30 PM.
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2008, 03:23 PM   #7
wabo
Starter Motor

cheers fairmont, stiddy, appreciated
wabo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2008, 05:26 PM   #8
lamborghinifan

ya, what stiddy said, defenitely someone who doesn't see their car as just a mode of transport. among other things
lamborghinifan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2008, 05:32 PM   #9
TadKa
Wait? What?

I like Clarkson's use of the term 'appliance' for cars that are basically shopping trolleys and some of the crap mass produced koreon cars (Yes I know they have improved vastly over the years but I still wouldn't be proud to own one). So maybe an enthusiast is someone thats sees cars for more than just an appliance.... or not.... I don't mind...
TadKa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2008, 05:36 PM   #10
StAndArdAU
Back in a Blue Oval

Someone who spends the extra time to be knowledgable in regards to vehicles, and is often the case, in regards to a specific brand, specific model, specific decade etc... for personal reasons like a hobby.

These people also take great pride in taking care of, and being interested in motor vehicles.
Old 15-05-2008, 06:01 PM   #11
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

It starts with wanting a certain car and buying one, then seeking out and befriending like minded owners (AFF is good for that), it then snowballs into a lifestyle choice.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2008, 06:05 PM   #12
andrewts
White Car Driver

Personally I think a huge part of being a car enthusiast isn't just aligning one's self with one brand (Toyota fans are like this), but an actual passion for CARS, which includes being interested in other makes, and car related advances etc.
Old 15-05-2008, 08:54 PM   #13
v8falconsrule
Blue ~oval~ Blooded!!!

i wouldn't call it a hobby as much as a lifestyle. an enthusiust will eat, sleep an breathe all things car related.

'normal' people look at a car and see transport, sure they might like the colour, or the wheels or whatever. but a petrol head will look at a car and know exeactly what they'd change to make it thiers- it's an expression of individuallity, while at the same time attracting like minded people.

no one thing applies to all petrol heads either, some like performance, others care more about looks, others are more worried about the stereo 'doof-doof' system. its even all types of cars, big bad 4x4s, low sleek boy racers, the rumble of a 70's muscle car, or the top down coolness of a cruiser.....like i said it's a lifestyle.

50th Anniv G6E Turbo in Sensation
Cobalt blue 94 ED XR8 Sprint- resto/ project
v8falconsrule is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2008, 09:06 PM   #14
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Its worse when one works up on a idea that a group of like minded individuals should start a forum for people that need an outlet.....
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2008, 09:40 PM   #15
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

I like driving around, and tinkering with cars. My weekends were spent washing, improving things on it. But now its off the road in a 'slow repair' state and my weekends ave a huge hole in them, and the money im saving on fuel goes towards happy hour...

There is a huge misunder standing towards car enthusiasts, our image is potrayed colectivly as a bunch of dropkick hoonyloons. That is everyone with a non standard car is a 'Hoon' or a 'racer' or some other anti-social stain.

It doesn't help that there are a minority that get about causing trouble, and creating the headlines, spun by the general media into a fiasco, as is life the miority spoils the majority.

I think that alot of kids that playaround with cars are better off, hands on learing, money is spent on the car intead of drugs/alcohol and they arn't board as in my first paragraph, now i don't have a car, i've lost alot of the things i did, crusing/driving, tinkering...

But define enthusiasts?

Its a hobby, like gardening, wood work or model building. Its a hobby for people who enjoy spending weekends making an improvment, tidying somthing up and finaly driving it around soaking up the sounds and sun.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post