Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-01-2008, 09:04 PM   #1
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 
Default The art of selling

It was time for the XR6T to go so I paid a visit to a few dealerships. Now I'm quite a lazy shopper and a bit impulsive (always a bad sign). So being somewhat brand loyal I wandered into the local Ford dealership with the car to see what deal we could do.

The Ford salesman was nice and all, took me for a few test drives. When it came time to look at figures it seemed to fall apart. The price offered for a fully optioned 3yo turbo was ordinary. When I expressed my surprise at the figure I got a shrug and he said he'd call me with a better price. He never called... times must be good for Ford.

A week later I wandered into a Mazda dealership just to kick some tyres. Told the salesman as much. After being sort of brushed of by the Ford dealer I was at a loss as to what I was going to buy. The salesman there was happy to take me for a drive in what ever I was interested in. No pressure.

The amazing thing about this was there was zero pressure applied by the salesman. None of the sort of stuff you might associate with buying a new car. He just seemed to have a belief that I was going to buy a car from him. Knew the product, answered any question. Was inclusive of my significant other when talking about the cars.

We sat down and talked about the trade in. What I was looking at. And then we both arrived at a figure. No pressure.

Anyway after walking in just to have a look, I walked out with a Mazda 6 MPS with the leather pack. I didn't get a spectacular deal, but it was such a zero hassle deal that I left happy.

Comparing this to an experience some six months ago when I was with my mother. The salesman then was awful. The clumsy execution of sales techniques got warning bells ringing straight away.

Anyone else come across a sales man so low key and confident that they just sell without the agro?

Old 28-01-2008, 09:06 AM   #2
CADSKY
'01 AU11 XR8 UTE

cant say im serprised
there is alot of threads on here about ford salesmen that couldnt give a rats about weather they make a sale or not

CURRENT
'01 AU2 XR8 UTE - 5 SPEED MANUAL.
MUCH WORK TO DO.

PREVIOUS
'07 BF MK11 XR6 - 6 SPEED AUTO
'95 EF XR6 - 5 SPEED MANUAL

See my car HERE
CADSKY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2008, 09:39 AM   #3
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have met 2 good salesman in Townsville 1 good in Brisbane and excellent one in Brisbane who we brought a car off. The rest I would rather swim in a septic tank than ever talk to them again.
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2008, 11:05 AM   #4
prydey
Rob

a lot of salespeople, not just in the car industry, don't seem to realise that the way they treat you directly affects whether you open your wallet or not.

i was looking at bbq's recently and after looking in one shop i noticed that next door there was a furniture shop. went in for a browse and nearly ended up buying a lounge suite i don't even need. some people are just good at what they do.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post