Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-01-2008, 10:54 PM   #1
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Default Buying in Melb, returning to Syd.

Hello,

Ok, I know these questions have been asked before, but a search revealed nothing in the first few pages of results.

I'm going to look at a car in Melb, and if bought, return to Syd.

Do I pay buyer duty there or in Syd? I have personalised plates I want to use stored in Syd, how long before I get home do I have before I need to transfer the rego to NSW etc??

Is there a calculator online that will tell me what i'm up for in costs when I buy?

Is there a more cost effective way to do this transaction?

Cheers,

Jason

Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2008, 01:30 AM   #2
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

You pay the changeover of registration into your name in Vic. Then once in Sydney, you need to register it in your name. You can then claim a refund from Vic. There is no other way to do it, unfortunately.

Transfer costs are 3% up to about $50k, then 5% over that. VicRoads should be able to help you (and white or yellow pages should be able to help you find a number for them).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2008, 02:22 AM   #3
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
You pay the changeover of registration into your name in Vic. Then once in Sydney, you need to register it in your name. You can then claim a refund from Vic. There is no other way to do it, unfortunately.

Transfer costs are 3% up to about $50k, then 5% over that. VicRoads should be able to help you (and white or yellow pages should be able to help you find a number for them).
You sure? I just bring the car home and do it all here (to Qld from NSW, and one from Vic), Ive never had an issue from it. so long as the old owner has filled out the paper work. Take a form from NSW to make sure the RTA can process it, or just get a receipt and fill out transfer papers yourself.

One I had no receipt for, no transfer papers at all, Qld Transport just asked me to fill out a Stat Dec.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2008, 09:07 AM   #4
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

From the NSW RTA website. I will call them this morning but i'll get a head start here hopefully.

Quote:
Second-hand vehicles currently or previously registered interstate
To register a second-hand vehicle that is currently or was previously registered interstate, you will need to attend a motor registry in person and provide:
Quote:
Proof of your identity or, if registering the vehicle in the name of a company or organisation, proof that the company or organisation is a legal entity (see related link above right).
Yup, no worries there.

Quote:
Proof of acquisition (eg a receipt for purchase of the vehicle, certificate of registration signed by the previous registered operator/s of the vehicle, or the previous certificate of registration in the same name if coming from interstate).
Easy enough.

Quote:
Proof of your residential address (see related link above right).
Yup, easy.

Quote:
A valid Compulsory Third Party insurance policy – also known as a green slip - in hard copy format with the number plate section blank (not required for trailers).
Ok, so I need a separate newly issued and paid NSW green slip organised BEFORE I leave Melb???

Quote:
Your interstate number plates – you’ll have to surrender your interstate plates before you’ll be given NSW plates.
Easy, they'll come with the car, and i'll take it to the RTA office in Syd that has my plates in storage.

Quote:
An inspection report – also known as a blue slip – from an Authorised Unregistered Vehicle Inspection Station (AUVIS). For AUVIS fees, see Vehicle Inspectors Bulletin 18 available from the related link above right.
So, I need a blue slip even if it has current registration in Vic?

Quote:
A completed Application for Registration form (see RTA Forms at the bottom of this page).
Done at the RTA on the day.

Quote:
An engineer’s certificate if the vehicle has been modified beyond the ‘owner-certified’ level or is an Individually Constructed Vehicle (ICV).
Ok, it's an imported vehicle with compliance plates added in Aus. Does this mean I should also get information / proof of compliance, even though it would have already been provided to get the Vic rego anyway?

Quote:
Payment for registration, including registration fee, motor vehicle tax (or national heavy vehicle charges as applicable), stamp duty if applicable plus the applicable number plate fee.
Is motor vehicle tax ONLY for heavy vehicles?? When is stamp duty not applicable?

Quote:
All vehicles presented in order to establish registration (including interstate and imported vehicles) may require an additional inspection by the RTA's Vehicle Identification Inspection Unit (VIIU). You will be notified at the time of registration if your vehicle requires an inspection. Vehicles requiring a VIIU inspection are subject to inspection fees.
Ok, it's an imported vehicle... so looks like I "may" be up for this additional inspection... But what will they find that isn't found with a blue slip?? Anyway, whats this cost roughly?

Cheers... like I said i'll be calling them at 9, but the more info the better
Old 24-01-2008, 11:26 AM   #5
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
From the NSW RTA website. I will call them this morning but i'll get a head start here hopefully.

Second-hand vehicles currently or previously registered interstate
To register a second-hand vehicle that is currently or was previously registered interstate, you will need to attend a motor registry in person and provide:

Proof of your identity or, if registering the vehicle in the name of a company or organisation, proof that the company or organisation is a legal entity (see related link above right).

Yup, no worries there.

Quote:
Proof of acquisition (eg a receipt for purchase of the vehicle, certificate of registration signed by the previous registered operator/s of the vehicle, or the previous certificate of registration in the same name if coming from interstate).

Easy enough.

Quote:
Proof of your residential address (see related link above right).

Yup, easy.

Quote:
A valid Compulsory Third Party insurance policy – also known as a green slip - in hard copy format with the number plate section blank (not required for trailers).

Ok, so I need a separate newly issued and paid NSW green slip organised BEFORE I leave Melb???
No.. you can do this up to 14 days after you return. Then send off the original rego papers to Vic Roads for a refund on the balance of the rego.

Quote:
Quote:
Your interstate number plates – you’ll have to surrender your interstate plates before you’ll be given NSW plates.

Easy, they'll come with the car, and i'll take it to the RTA office in Syd that has my plates in storage.

Quote:
An inspection report – also known as a blue slip – from an Authorised Unregistered Vehicle Inspection Station (AUVIS). For AUVIS fees, see Vehicle Inspectors Bulletin 18 available from the related link above right.

So, I need a blue slip even if it has current registration in Vic?
Yes.... you will be essentially cancelling all ties with Vic Roads and registering a new vehicle for a year starting from within the first 14 days mentioned above.

Quote:
Quote:
A completed Application for Registration form (see RTA Forms at the bottom of this page).

Done at the RTA on the day.

Quote:
An engineer’s certificate if the vehicle has been modified beyond the ‘owner-certified’ level or is an Individually Constructed Vehicle (ICV).

Ok, it's an imported vehicle with compliance plates added in Aus. Does this mean I should also get information / proof of compliance, even though it would have already been provided to get the Vic rego anyway?
Not needed, Vic Roads rego papers + recipt is enough.

Quote:
Quote:
Payment for registration, including registration fee, motor vehicle tax (or national heavy vehicle charges as applicable), stamp duty if applicable plus the applicable number plate fee.

Is motor vehicle tax ONLY for heavy vehicles?? When is stamp duty not applicable?
Stamp duty will be paid upon registration. 3% up to a value of 45 grand.

Quote:
Quote:
All vehicles presented in order to establish registration (including interstate and imported vehicles) may require an additional inspection by the RTA's Vehicle Identification Inspection Unit (VIIU). You will be notified at the time of registration if your vehicle requires an inspection. Vehicles requiring a VIIU inspection are subject to inspection fees.

Ok, it's an imported vehicle... so looks like I "may" be up for this additional inspection... But what will they find that isn't found with a blue slip?? Anyway, whats this cost roughly?
RTA 'extra' vehicle inspections are a random thing, to deter vehicle re-birthing etc. Cost is $50.

Quote:
Cheers... like I said i'll be calling them at 9, but the more info the better
No worries, glad I could help :
Old 24-01-2008, 07:20 PM   #6
FASTXR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I bought my XR6 in Melbourne last year - paid the sticker price, with no extra changeover costs etc. Drove the car back to Canberra and then had either 14 or 28 days (can't remember which) to transfer to ACT registration. To do this, I had to get a roadworthiness inspection done and then go to the ACT gov shopfront (ie ACT RTA). At that point we had to pay for a full 12 month's ACT rego plus a transfer fee of 3% of the value of the car. At this time you hand in your Victorian plates and get a receipt for them. You can then get a refund on the unused portion of the registration from Vicroads.
FASTXR is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2008, 12:22 AM   #7
fmc351
let it burn

As I said, just take the Vic rego'd thing home and do it all from there. The NSW side of things its as if you just bought an unregistered vehicle in Sydney, except you wont need any permits to drive from wherever to mechanics to RTA etc due to having Vic reg to legally move the car until the Vic reg is removed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
RTA 'extra' vehicle inspections are a random thing, to deter vehicle re-birthing etc. Cost is $50.
what? I support the reasoning behind it, but they charge you $50 to do it? That just defies logic. Next the Police will send you a bill when you dont break any laws simply because they did a licence check.
Old 25-01-2008, 10:35 AM   #8
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
except you wont need any permits to drive from wherever to mechanics to RTA etc .
you don't even need permits to drive an unregistered vehicle in NSW direct to place of inspection, to RTA to register, to mechanic to repair if fail inspection etc.

It's all on the website
devilcv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2008, 06:27 PM   #9
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilcv8
you don't even need permits to drive an unregistered vehicle in NSW direct to place of inspection, to RTA to register, to mechanic to repair if fail inspection etc.

It's all on the website
Not even CTP type insurance?
Old 25-01-2008, 09:10 PM   #10
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
Not even CTP type insurance?
The relevant details are here
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registrati...egistered.html

Unregistered vehicles can be driven for the purpose of obtaining registration by the most direct or convenient route.:

to the nearest convenient motor registry, or
to the nearest convenient vehicle inspection station or authorised inspection station to determine whether the vehicle complies with the applicable vehicle standards, or
in the course of inspecting or testing the vehicle to determine if it complies with the applicable vehicle standards, or
to the nearest practicable weighbridge to determine the weight of the vehicle, or
from a motor registry or inspection station where the registration of the vehicle has been refused, to the nearest convenient place where necessary repairs can be made or where the vehicle can be garaged,
unless a direction has been issued that the vehicle must not be driven before the necessary repairs have been made, or
from an authorised inspection station to the nearest convenient place where necessary repairs or adjustments can be made or where the vehicle can be garaged, or
to the nearest convenient office of a licensed insurer for the purpose of obtaining Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurance, or
to the nearest convenient location for any other purpose directly associated with the registration process.

and

If you are caught driving an unregistered vehicle on any other route, you will be fined and police may remove the vehicle's number plates on the spot or they may seize the vehicle
devilcv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post