Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 21-01-2008, 10:02 PM   #1
MYT
Cruizn in my 'lane

Default Fairlane fuel tank size

Hi guys, i was hoping someone would know the useable size of the fuel tank in a lane. Topped mine up from pretty much empty the other day and it only took 53l which seemed a bit low to me.

cheers

MYT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2008, 11:18 PM   #2
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Falcon sedan is 68 litres, Falcon ute/wagon 72 litres, IIRC, so the LWB variants should be somewhere around 70. It will be in your owner's manual somewhere.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2008, 11:31 PM   #3
chief
FTF Club Moderator

I have managed 72L in my AU2 wagon.

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2008, 11:56 PM   #4
MYT
Cruizn in my 'lane

Thanks for the quick replies, i'd check the owners manual if i had one (car didn't have it when i bought it)
Old 22-01-2008, 12:03 AM   #5
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

My handbook says 68L - same as the sedans
T3 TL50 #147 Silhouette Auto ESS - Brembos - Last of 3 in T3 spec, only AUIII TL50 ever built -14.2 sec @ 98mph bog stock. Only customer ordered T3 TL50 built, only LWB sedan plated AUIII and the last performance enhanced LWB sedan built by Ford Aust.

AUII Fairlane Ghia Sportsman 5.0L in Blue Pearl

OWN THE ROAD
FTe342 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2008, 12:17 AM   #6
MYT
Cruizn in my 'lane

maybe my fuel gauge is a bit out then
Old 22-01-2008, 12:40 AM   #7
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaynet
My handbook says 68L - same as the sedans
Yours is a sedan! :
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2008, 12:58 AM   #8
xr62nv
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Without fail he is always replying to members audio queries (often answering the same questions multiple times) and his experience comes from working as an audio installer 

some are weird. My au xr6 says 68L but had it down to 11kms distance to empty and it too 57L.. i usually fill up with 90 to empty and will not take 50L. Either out computer and fuel gauge or some come out with smaller tanks haha
xr62nv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2008, 10:20 AM   #9
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Yours is a sedan! :
Let me make myself a little clearer.

I was referring to the standard wheelbase Falcons having a 68L tank and the long wheelbase Fairlanes have the same tank
T3 TL50 #147 Silhouette Auto ESS - Brembos - Last of 3 in T3 spec, only AUIII TL50 ever built -14.2 sec @ 98mph bog stock. Only customer ordered T3 TL50 built, only LWB sedan plated AUIII and the last performance enhanced LWB sedan built by Ford Aust.

AUII Fairlane Ghia Sportsman 5.0L in Blue Pearl

OWN THE ROAD
FTe342 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2008, 07:45 PM   #10
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

My AU wagon is 68L according to the owners manual the same as the sedans and I'm assuming the lane would be the same. As far as the guage goes it's my understanding the fuel light comes on with about 10L left in the tank give or take. How much you get into the tank when you fill up can vary according to the angle the car is sitting at the pump also because the tank is actually 20% larger than the stated fuel capacity (just like an LPG tank) to allow for fuel expansion so there's an air cavity above the filler neck where it joins the tank. Consequently if the driveway at the pump falls away from the pump you'll get a few more litres in the tank as the filler neck will be rolled over slightly and be higher relative to the tank volume than if the driveway leans into the pump. ( I hope that makes sense, lol)
As an aside, my old EL wagon had a stated capacity of 72L and the most I ever got in it in one go was 85.4L which filled it to the top of the neck, filling the expansion space by trickling fuel in slowly enough to allow the air to bleed out through the breather. Naturally you would only do this if you were immediately leaving on an extended drive of over 200km to use up the extra fuel straight away. Doing this I could get 800km out of the tank at the speed limit-ish with the missus and rugrats and a moderate load.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post