Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-08-2007, 10:29 AM   #1
TeamQldRacing
XR6Turbo

Unhappy Hello From TQR

Just a hello from the boys and girls at Team Queensland Racing, having raced Fords since 1992 we have been quietly hammering away at Holdens and the rest in the Australian Production Car Championship, then Ross Palmers GTP Championship, and more recently back to Bathurst in the 12 Hour last Easter.
We are based near Lakeside Raceway in Qld and have a team of around 6 people assisting us to get our 2 XR6 Turbo's ready for racing as funds become available. Always looking for volunteers to help (we take a team of 22 to Bathurst) Our next event will be in Mallalla in SA mid October and the 12 hour next year is on 10th Feb at Mt Panorama.
cheers
TQR

TeamQldRacing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2007, 10:51 AM   #2
XR6Gal
Just Super Happy now :)

Hi Team Qld Racing & welcome to the forums!

What type of volunteers are you looking for?

PhantomBA XR6 (Sold), now a VW owner (don't hold it against me )

& also a CM Valiant Wagon, gotta love the old Val's
see her progress here
NOW SOLD :( but now have a
Honda CBR250 Motorbike
XR6Gal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2007, 02:47 PM   #3
Grechie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

damn i wished i lived in QLD, id be a volunteer!
Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 - 255/35/19 - 275/35/19
Shockworks Coilovers
PITLANE AUTOMOTIVE & PERFORMANCE
Grechie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2007, 03:09 PM   #4
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grechie
damn i wished i lived in QLD, id be a volunteer!
Agreed, that would be some good experience!
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2007, 05:21 PM   #5
TeamQldRacing
XR6Turbo

Some mechanical experience would be good and the race mechanics would sharpen up any skills you have ... we all started with no experience sometime
cheers
Old 22-08-2007, 06:55 PM   #6
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Welcome to the forum TQR.
Do you have any pictures of the XR's ?
What sort od modifications are you allowed with the rules, what sort of power do they make ?

Last edited by Falcon Coupe; 22-08-2007 at 10:41 PM.
Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2007, 09:38 PM   #7
TeamQldRacing
XR6Turbo

G'day Coupe' ... mods are limited to springs (King) shocks (Proflex by Murray Coote) ecu (SCT Flash unit) sadly we are forced to run std boost hence the XR8 driven by Bowe being 3 seconds faster than us at Bathurst ... (our excuse anyhow!) Weight is maintained at 1716kg and ride height as per the RVCS data. Other mods are limited to race equipment such as cage seats & belts etc, we still run under the basic Group E that Moffat and Brock all started out doing 30 odd years ago... Cheers
Old 22-08-2007, 09:40 PM   #8
TeamQldRacing
XR6Turbo

Sorry forgot to add pics in our file .... in here somewhere , I'm not the most computer literate around here tho lol.
Old 22-08-2007, 09:42 PM   #9
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

PM me some details, I have some free time on my hands, work flexible hours and would love to help out

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2007, 10:21 PM   #10
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamQldRacing
G'day Coupe' ... mods are limited to springs (King) shocks (Proflex by Murray Coote) ecu (SCT Flash unit) sadly we are forced to run std boost hence the XR8 driven by Bowe being 3 seconds faster than us at Bathurst ... (our excuse anyhow!) Weight is maintained at 1716kg and ride height as per the RVCS data. Other mods are limited to race equipment such as cage seats & belts etc, we still run under the basic Group E that Moffat and Brock all started out doing 30 odd years ago... Cheers
Thanks for the info.
Bit of a bugger having to run standard boost, after all the point of owning an XR6T is the easy power extraction. :

Last edited by Falcon Coupe; 22-08-2007 at 10:41 PM.
Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2007, 11:30 PM   #11
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

standard boost is mapped vs revs and tapers down later in the rev range. theres nothing stopping you from running peak boost through the rev range is there? LOL>
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2007, 05:06 PM   #12
yift
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Countless sensible, accurate mechanical advice on all things Falcon and Territory. 

if you ever race at sandown one weekend let me know and ill come and help (mechanic by trade)
yift is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2007, 09:36 PM   #13
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Welcome to the forums TQR. Did you run in this year's Bathurst 12 Hr?
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2007, 10:25 PM   #14
xr8 utey
FORD DRIVERS WANTED!

g\day TQR! would these be your babies from bathurst 12hr this year?

cheers mark
Old 25-08-2007, 10:33 PM   #15
Rollin
Banned

Assuming you can find a useful volunteer, would said volunteer have to pay for their own flights and accomodation etc, or is some/all of that paid by sponsors?

I reckon it sounds like cool fun, and might have some useful skills to bring to the team on occasion, but don't have any spare cash for plane flights etc
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2007, 11:38 AM   #16
TeamQldRacing
XR6Turbo

Sorry for the absence from forum, been busy retreiving 66 & 99 from Mc Alister Motors down in Young NSW. 99 is now happily resting in the Bathurst Motor Racing Museum and 66 is back home at our Lakeside Facility (the shed) after being repaired from her Bathurst crunch. As to some answers to questions we (TQR) supply pit crew with uniforms, accomodation, meals and drinks. When our guys and girls go to Bathurst they certainlly earn their keep with late nights and early starts so it's not a picnic but everyone learns something (including me) like ceramic pistons in brake calipers last about 15 laps and engine oil coolers are a must on fire breathing engines. We are now setting up for the '08 12 hour and will be running both cars again. I will endeavour to keep people up to date but during the year I tend to be a one man team and spend a fair bit of time on the road, so it can be a while before I answer sometimes.
cheers
Old 24-09-2007, 11:10 PM   #17
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

A couple more shots of the cars at Bathurst - let us know if you are sick of seeing these lol!

99 on Mountain Straight during the race.
http://images.fotopic.net/yn4vcb.jpg

99 exiting Caltex Chase in Friday practice
http://images.fotopic.net/yn4uul.jpg

66 heading into Forrests Elbow on Saturday
http://images.fotopic.net/yn4uzj.jpg

Edit - hotlinking denied access, have to click on the links instead so added descriptions
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2007, 12:24 AM   #18
tickford2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamQldRacing
...everyone learns something (including me) like ceramic pistons in brake calipers last about 15 laps and engine oil coolers are a must on fire breathing engines...
wow, 15 laps is a short life for a ceramic piston! what happens to them? do they melt/crack?

it would be interesting to know what other standard road car things fail/wear out when put to the test under race conditions such as the 12 hour.

any other interesting info you have from your 12 hour experience that you could share with us?

Last edited by tickford2001; 25-10-2007 at 12:34 AM.
tickford2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2007, 06:42 PM   #19
TeamQldRacing
XR6Turbo

Ya was a big learning curve for us too .... we replaced the calipers wth the standard BA steel ones from the Family BA and Macca's ute then drove the BA home to brissie after the race had a word to Ford the next day and they said 'we knew that'.... most of the other bits were ok we only put endless pads on and ran the standard limo's on both cars ... lost a bit in the cutting but picks up down the mountain.