Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 07-08-2007, 09:21 PM   #1
2Lucid

Default Ba Bonnet Bulge onto AU Bonnet Debacle

i recently bought a fibreblass bulge for my AU and just thought id let you guys know some of the drama i experienced as these things are an absolute c*!t to get right

the bulge looked pretty good straight out the box and i tohught it would be pretty straight forward WRONG once it was trimmed n ready to go on the bonnet i realised that there was no way i could just slap some glue on n leave it there...... 20 odd screws n a lot of urethane later she was stuck on the bonnet haha. cupla days late ri removed the screws and filled the holes n ground it all abck n then had to take to lip with some bog n A LOT OF RUBBING there was a massive gap at the front of the bulge as the bonnet shapes are way different.... so alot of skin n elbow grease later she's ready to paint
i recommend either buying a bonnet with it moulded ie from AWC or track down a steel XR bonnet and cut the bulge out... pics up soon once she's painted. now i just got figure out how to relocate the window washers

2Lucid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2007, 09:46 PM   #2
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

awc has a tutorial article on their site on how to relocate the washers when fitting a boss bonnet.

What type of bonnet did you graft it to? Low or high?
I'm not being rude but if it's a low series i'm surprised you even bothered when the awc one is very good

Cheers
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2007, 09:50 PM   #3
2Lucid

nah it was a series 2 bonnet off an AU Fairmont, i only attempted cause i picked up the scoop for 120 landed (off ebay) and a bonnet for 100 that just needed the catch welded up.. cheers might check out the tutorial
Old 08-08-2007, 05:36 PM   #4
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

oh, and one thing i forgot was
THIS THREAD IS USELESS WITHOUT PICS
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2007, 06:15 PM   #5
2Lucid

haha well if all goes well the bonnet will be painted thursday night and on the car friday so pics should be up saturday morning.... went down an dummy fitted a ba cowlin to an au to see if it would solve the window washer problem.... massive difference lol the holes for the wipers are out, the shape is out and the lenght on the passenger side section is wrong but o well ya get that... window washers will have to be modified on the weekend lol (its easier with the bonnet off)
Old 08-08-2007, 09:54 PM   #6
Eu-GenixX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

pics of in the middle of the job would have been good.. to see what issues you came across.. rather then just seeing the final result...
Eu-GenixX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2007, 10:22 PM   #7
2Lucid

yeah didnt think at the time just wanted to ge tthe done haha
Old 09-08-2007, 09:05 AM   #8
Eu-GenixX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

a pic before it gets painted would be good as it sits now.. so we can see all the hard work you've done to match it all up.. hehe
Eu-GenixX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2007, 05:41 PM   #9
2Lucid

Default Pics of Bonnet

the bonnets finally on... got a quick lick o paint on there this arvo n a dodgy line up job but shes on.......

Old 11-08-2007, 05:59 PM   #10
Sledgehammer
Banned

Their can always be an ongoing problem when molding a glass bulge to a steel bonnet, they tend to crack in the future, ive seen quite a few do this, even mine.
Sledgehammer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2007, 06:03 PM   #11
2Lucid

yeah ive learnt my lesson there, next time it gotta be in steel... nic elooking scoop u have their on ya xr8, tough car altogether really
Old 11-08-2007, 06:04 PM   #12
GleeV8wgn
Starter Motor

looks really good that buldge on the high series AU's. Great stuff. Don't mean to start off a photography career for ya, but post a pic or two with a full side view of the car and a shot of the front with a bit of distance to it, wanna see how it looks at a few full view angles of the whole car itself so we can see how it all comes together.
GleeV8wgn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2007, 06:08 PM   #13
The Monty
Just slidin'

That looks quite good.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:01 PM   #14
2Lucid

yeah tomorrow too busy cdrinking beer admiring it tongiht haha see all you sa boys at parafield tomorrow
Old 12-08-2007, 08:05 AM   #15
v8falconsrule
Blue ~oval~ Blooded!!!

that looks sweet. this is something i've been toying with for quite some time myself actually...but i'm unsure whether to do as you have, buy a full glass one when fibresports starts doing 'em or go the full steel/steel thing. mine will be modded to be more of a scoop similar to the one sledgehammer has.

my other thought is an xc bonnet- mmmmmmmmm too many choices.

50th Anniv G6E Turbo in Sensation
Cobalt blue 94 ED XR8 Sprint- resto/ project
v8falconsrule is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2007, 10:25 AM   #16
Soundwarp
Blue to the bone!

Wow, well worth your time and hassle mate, looks great!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...dwarp/fbar.jpg
Soundwarp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2007, 10:36 AM   #17
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Lucid
yeah tomorrow too busy cdrinking beer admiring it tongiht haha see all you sa boys at parafield tomorrow
Awesome, I'll get to see it in the flesh.

Drinking beer night before cruise = bad. Been there done that!! Never again.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2007, 05:24 PM   #18
falzoony
Rockin '67

Heres some pics I took today.

'67 XR Wagon
falzoony is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2007, 05:15 PM   #19
GleeV8wgn
Starter Motor

That really looks tops. Looks mean, sharp, slick and stylish, cant go wrong. Eventually when the dough situation gets better i'll definately be looking at whacking the bulge on the wagon. I think it looks much better on the Au models cos the Au's have lower sitting sharper front ends than the BA's and the bulge just gives it the right amount of beef. Looks like an F-16 fighter jet.
GleeV8wgn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2007, 06:27 PM   #20
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Looked great as I drove alongside you yesterday
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post