Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 05-06-2007, 12:04 AM   #1
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Default Had some quotes on getting a transmission dipstick fitted

Hi All,

Just thought I'd post this up for anyone that's thought about having a transmission dipstick added to their AU.

Phoned around some transmission places for prices on getting my spare trans swapped into the AU. While I was at it, I also asked about getting a dipstick added to the trans.

Well, most places won't touch this with a 40 foot pole, but of the few that would do it, they quoted $500 plus, apparently it's a fairly difficult mod.

For that price, I think I'll wait till the new tranny goes pop, and whack an EF one in!

private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2007, 12:10 AM   #2
XEESP_351

Do no why they removed the dipstick and just went to the filler plug design after EFII? Was it because to many dipsticks where filling them up with the wrong tranny fluid?
XEESP_351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2007, 12:10 AM   #3
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

It's not an easy job to do.

I just replace my fluid and filter every 20,000km for piece of mind ... I found not too long ago it wasn't grabbing a gear in the cold mornings ... fluid was a tad low ... topped it up at my mechanics (due to adding my trans cooler back in the system and not topping the fluid up at the time).

Once you have put the correct fluid in the box though ... it should stay at that level as it is a sealed unit.

Only time the fluid drops though is when you have a leak ... and if that's the case ... it need urgent attention.

It's better to fill through the side on overfill the auto (BAD) ... as have heard people with the EF box fill it from the dipstick and overfill it ... cause over pressurisation in the auto and killing them.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2007, 12:11 AM   #4
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr t-series
Do no why they removed the dipstick and just went to the filler plug design after EFII? Was it because to many dipsticks where filling them up with the wrong tranny fluid?
That ... and overfilling them via the dispstick ... causing premature transmission failure as well.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:17 AM   #5
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k

I just replace my fluid and filter every 20,000km for piece of mind ... I found not too long ago it wasn't grabbing a gear in the cold mornings ... fluid was a tad low ... topped it up at my mechanics (due to adding my trans cooler back in the system and not topping the fluid up at the time).

Once you have put the correct fluid in the box though ... it should stay at that level as it is a sealed unit.

Only time the fluid drops though is when you have a leak ... and if that's the case ... it need urgent attention.

It's better to fill through the side on overfill the auto (BAD) ... as have heard people with the EF box fill it from the dipstick and overfill it ... cause over pressurisation in the auto and killing them.
Yeah, true what you say. We only do about 10000kms a year in the AU so it's no big issue, but just thought it might be good to look into while the tranny is being swapped, didn't quite realise it was such a big job.

I will never be checking or topping up the fluid myself from under the car, so thought a dipstick might be handy.

Funny that you mention the over filling, I think every car I've bought has had the transmission over filled when I've bought them!
Old 05-06-2007, 12:27 AM   #6
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if geting a new tranny go to a place that does cabs they do exchange ones with dipsticks in the cabs and don't charge much extra
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2007, 01:26 AM   #7
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
I found not too long ago it wasn't grabbing a gear in the cold mornings ... fluid was a tad low ... topped it up at my mechanics (due to adding my trans cooler back in the system and not topping the fluid up at the time).
I just started to get this problem in the morning last week. Right after the auto had a full flush. I need to get it back to them for some more fluid added I reckon.

Cheers,

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2007, 01:45 AM   #8
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

yeah ... I suspect your issue would be a slightly low fluid level ... only happens when dead cold in the morning though.
Old 05-06-2007, 02:06 AM   #9
robbo_yobbo
Kick out tha Jams

dude, you can get an EF/EL tranny for around $350 from a wrecker, maybe even less if you shop around, $500 seems like a raw deal in comparison.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:17 PM   #10
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
if geting a new tranny go to a place that does cabs they do exchange ones with dipsticks in the cabs and don't charge much extra
Tried a few cab places - If the tranny is being recoed by them, then it's not as much to add the dipstick at the same time as they already have the casing apart, but if they're not pulling down the tranny for reco, they still apparently have to partially dismantle it anyway.

Mind you the rest of their pricing is awesome - $280 to swap in my trans & converter, including oil & filter kit - can't ask for a better price than that anywhere!
Old 05-06-2007, 12:18 PM   #11
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbo_yobbo
dude, you can get an EF/EL tranny for around $350 from a wrecker, maybe even less if you shop around, $500 seems like a raw deal in comparison.
EF11 onwards don't have the disptick.

Agree with you 100% on getting an EF trans instead but I already have an EL trans which has just been recoed.
Old 05-06-2007, 05:44 PM   #12
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by private9
EF11 onwards don't have the disptick.

Agree with you 100% on getting an EF trans instead but I already have an EL trans which has just been recoed.
i had a 97 EL with the original tranny and it had the dipstick and i have seen a few others with one too
Old 05-06-2007, 07:55 PM   #13
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
i had a 97 EL with the original tranny and it had the dipstick and i have seen a few others with one too
Interesting! General consensus seems to be that EF2 onwards didn't have it, but maybe that's wrong. Or, given the age of EF/EL's now it's quite possible that a second hand tranny from an EF had been fitted.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:30 PM   #14
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Interesting! General consensus seems to be that EF2 onwards didn't have it, but maybe that's wrong. Or, given the age of EF/EL's now it's quite possible that a second hand tranny from an EF had been fitted.
I was the 2nd owner of mine and I know the first owner and it was the original tranny and it was the last of the ELs so maybe some did and some didn't :
Old 05-06-2007, 11:50 PM   #15
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
I was the 2nd owner of mine and I know the first owner and it was the original tranny and it was the last of the ELs so maybe some did and some didn't :
Well you've just destroyed my theory then!
Old 05-06-2007, 11:53 PM   #16
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
I've got a 97 EL and it's got the dipstick too. Looks exactly the same as the one on the NC box sitting in my garage waiting to go in (when the EL trannie dies - it's already whining in all gears).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2007, 11:53 PM   #17
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Don't know what's going on there because the auto dipstick was definitely deleted for the EFII as Ford got sick of all the warranty claims from morons who overfilled their trannys.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2007, 12:07 AM   #18
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Maybe it was phased out?
Old 06-06-2007, 10:28 AM   #19
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Maybe the stock controller wasn't rotating the stock properly and a container load got left down the back by mistake and all the new stock kept getting sat in front of it, and it was only found when they were clearing all the old E series parts ready for AU production.

Or maybe when they got to the bottom of the tranny barrel they found a few EF trannys stuck in the corners that only fell out when the barrel was turned upside down and given a bash.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Last edited by Bushbasher; 06-06-2007 at 10:35 AM.
Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2007, 10:49 AM   #20
BlackLS

From what I've heard about sealed 4 speeds, you need fill the transmission till it starts spilling, then start the car and accellerate into 4th, then top up again. Many places are too lazy to do this and when the torque converter tries to lock up the fluid is too low.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2007, 12:08 PM   #21
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbasher
Maybe the stock controller wasn't rotating the stock properly and a container load got left down the back by mistake and all the new stock kept getting sat in front of it, and it was only found when they were clearing all the old E series parts ready for AU production.

Or maybe when they got to the bottom of the tranny barrel they found a few EF trannys stuck in the corners that only fell out when the barrel was turned upside down and given a bash.

Bushbasher
that makes some sense mine was one of the last ELs so the "preparing for the AU" idea might fit
Old 06-06-2007, 12:16 PM   #22
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Funny, I've had 2 hybrid EL's - ie late 98 the absolute last of EL's and neither with a dipstick. Have had an EF1 with a dipstick, and my cousin has a DF2 without!
Old 06-06-2007, 12:26 PM   #23
robbo_yobbo
Kick out tha Jams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbasher

Bushbasher
My car is a hybrid all 0ver so this wouldnt surprise me.

when I got my car it was an AU1 but had a high series bonnet +grill, and au2 smartshield bem+ecu+dash, but used au 1 style keys +remote with an EL coilpack + EL fuel filter connections. this was the last of the AU1s so im guessing they were using up exess stock here too?
Old 06-06-2007, 12:49 PM   #24
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:

when I got my car it was an AU1 but had a high series bonnet +grill, and au2 smartshield bem+ecu+dash, but used au 1 style keys +remote with an EL coilpack + EL fuel filter connections. this was the last of the AU1s so im guessing they were using up exess stock here too?
Good lord! That's quite a combo you've got there! With high series sheetmetal on an AU1 I'm assuming you've got a Fairmont/Ghia?
Old 06-06-2007, 04:46 PM   #25
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

it can't have a smartshield bem with old style keys and remotes the car wont start. Smartshield requires the transponder key to start and the remotes are totaly different and not interchangable
Old 06-06-2007, 08:15 PM   #26
robbo_yobbo
Kick out tha Jams

Quote:
it can't have a smartshield bem with old style keys and remotes the car wont start. Smartshield requires the transponder key to start and the remotes are totaly different and not interchangable
It was definiteley the S2 BEM, I know coz it caused huge problems when I replaced the ECU swapped (coz of a VCT engine change) and the Auto Electrician was trying to sort out the problem for hours. the problem was caused coz the new ECU was an S1 (which at that stage is what we thought the original one was) and it wouldnt work with the S2 BEM that was in, so I ended up having to swap all the wiring looms and get an S1 BEM and ignition instead.

As far as the keys go though, It has the bigger sized keys (the S2s have smaller keys from what Ive seen) and the remote is the black 2 button remote same as the E series, not like the s2/3 which have the blue and red buttons.

Quote:
Good lord! That's quite a combo you've got there! With high series sheetmetal on an AU1 I'm assuming you've got a Fairmont/Ghia?
It's a forte (was a forte), not the farmont ghia. but now the only thing original about the car is the chassis it was built on, Ive swapped out pretty much everything else!