Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-03-2007, 10:29 PM   #1
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Angry Nearly got wiped out by a lil old lady

Driving home after work in my XC (pride and joy since 1981), traffic a bit heavy, I'm in the right lane following a little old granny in her Herundy and a young guy on L's in the left lane, she indicates to change lanes and just moves over and nearly wipes out the L driver,lucky we're only doing about 45-50. Then she drives along with her left indicator still flashing, so the L driver starts dropping right back (welcome to the world of idiot drivers mate).
So by now I've started moving up and am just about right alongside her drivers door when she starts coming into my lane, I think she's just wondering over, she'll realise and move back.
WRONG, then it dawns on me "Holy sheet, the old cow wants to take me out!!" so its a big blast on the horn and hit the anchors hard.
Only a coat of paint in it. She probably tells everyone at tea and scones while knitting that she's still a good driver and never had an accident 355 years. Probably caused a few though if she nearly took out 2 cars in 150 metres.
: :eclipsee_ : : :

Old 23-03-2007, 10:31 PM   #2
J_Tank
Bring on the Boss

sounds familiar... had that done to me by a little old lady on the Hume at 110.
J_Tank is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2007, 12:25 AM   #3
philstoj
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That only happens about 30 times in one drive along Springvale Rd, from Eastern Freeway to Frankston... along with various other incidents like no indicating ( yes we are mind readers) hogging right lane, mobile stationary blocks of danger (4WD's) all make the experience of driving a good one, and certainly test the reflexes.

Ive had a nice elderly lady driver pull out of a stop sign, not see my very small white XF panel van , and proceed to slam straight into the passenger door, after i stopped and got out and asked her what was going on, surely you could see this big white panelvan on the road, she proceeded to tell me that i was in the wrong, and its all my fault!!

I politely told her that didnt you see there was a stop sign where you exited, and didnt stop? She went pretty quiet and proceeded to give me her details...
philstoj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2007, 12:52 AM   #4
LUXO_8
windsor user

as a delivery driver with about 450,000km under my belt, ive seen my fair share of morons out there.....
i have to take evasive action at least once a day to avoid someone that cannot drive to save themselves

you just have to drive for everyone else, any of the cars out there can take you out in an instant.....
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2007, 08:22 AM   #5
kooky
WRX terrorist

My Dad told me one thing before I got my licence; "everyone else on the road does not know what they are doing, so treat them like idiots, leave extra room and dont take any chances" I have remembered it to this day. never had an 'at fault' accident.
Old 24-03-2007, 08:39 AM   #6
au2sw
Blown 5L coming

you ask anyone, young, old decrepid or otherwise, and they all say the same thing...."im the best driver out on the road, it's not my fault they cannt drive!"

NEW CLUB FOR SUNSHINE COAST !! www.f-p-e.proboards.com

Contact Col (au2sw) via PM or on MSN @ efmonty@hotmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Its like central locking in your car. We've all had cars without it and we were fine then, but try and take it from me? NO WAY.
au2sw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2007, 10:31 AM   #7
Nappa
Impressive...

just this morning a guy almost took me out when he wanted to go straight from a left turn only lane, it was a bits scary there was only a few inches in it.
Old 24-03-2007, 05:28 PM   #8
chief
FTF Club Moderator

I was in the left lane, a fellow in the right lane wanted to turn left from his lane. So instead of taking the next turn as there was no room to brake and make the turn - or even slow down and go behind my car to make the turn he speeds up and dives in front of my car to make the left turn. Lucky I had the Brembos or I would of T boned him.

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2007, 07:07 PM   #9
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
as a delivery driver with about 450,000km under my belt, ive seen my fair share of morons out there.....
i have to take evasive action at least once a day to avoid someone that cannot drive to save themselves

you just have to drive for everyone else, any of the cars out there can take you out in an instant.....
I've also done a fair bit of delivery work in the last few years so I know exactly what you mean. When I was doing this delivery work, I was just amazed that some of these people had licences. A lot of people (mostly 4WD owners) have no idea how to use an indicator. Just a few weeks ago, I was approaching a roundabout, and a Volvo was entering the roundabout opposite me. I was expecting it to go straight ahead, so I was going to take off, then all of a sudden it turned right in front of me. I had to hit the brakes hard. Honestly, how hard is it to use indicators? If you don't bother using that little stalk on the steering column, when turning, then you shouldn't be on the road.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2007, 11:11 PM   #10
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I live this ... as a courier driver in Sydney ... it's a part of everyday driving.
One tip ... get a big horn ... and big lights (I still have to upgrade the horn in the ute).

Taxi drivers are high on the list of the clueless on Sydnay's roads ... and "some" white decrepid van drivers.

Pension day is also a bad day to be delivering as well.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2007, 11:21 PM   #11
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8

So true Wayne, you do have to drive for everyone else on the road. Too many people think they are the only ones on the road. I only drive 1/2 hr to work and 1/2 hr home every 2nd week, mainly on Melbourne Rd and Latrobe Tce (geelong) and the amount of stupid things i see people do is unbelieveable and thats only in that short amount of time so i feel for you delivery drivers who are on the road all day.
Nostalgia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2007, 10:37 AM   #12
irsa76
Snoopping

We have a monthly accident report for the region. Sydney has topped it a few times in the last year, and our region includes Hong Kong, Tiawan etc. Apparently 95% of crashes are caused by other driver's actions, according to the police reports. The rest are caused by the driver's not using their brains.
No one I'm looking at getting off the road!
irsa76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2007, 10:43 AM   #13
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief
I was in the left lane, a fellow in the right lane wanted to turn left from his lane. So instead of taking the next turn as there was no room to brake and make the turn - or even slow down and go behind my car to make the turn he speeds up and dives in front of my car to make the left turn. Lucky I had the Brembos or I would of T boned him.
Wasn't a blue LPG powered XR8 was it? LOL. This has happened to me a few times as well, but mostly where they just try to turn left from the RH lane on a double lane roundabout. Pure idiots.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2007, 12:00 PM   #14
Aeron
DJR Fan

I've been in a car with my nan driving. She's 77. 2 lane round-about, but she goes straight through using both lanes. Needless to say I shouted at the top of my lungs :
EC 1:51.283
WP 1:10.190

Me Drifting on the Skid Pan **Video**
Aeron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2007, 12:12 PM   #15
HOON69
Banned

had a few of these types of experiences have to say its a wider age bracket though

one instance
bloke 2-30ish go down the break down lanes swerves between me and the car in the other lane and just misses my front end and the rear of the other car infront in the other lane.

another was a bike rider came up the inside doing 60kmh then boots it to the speed limit 100 with 2 cars between him and his riding the white line between the lanes trying to weave through traffic with a kid on the back..

but yeah i seem to have slowed up alot in my driving ways purely because you cant predict em all
HOON69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2007, 01:02 PM   #16
normxb
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Sitting on the Dunny , Contemplating "What to do Next".

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee
She probably tells everyone at tea and scones while knitting that she's still a good driver and never had an accident 355 years. Probably caused a few though if she nearly took out 2 cars in 150 metres.
: :eclipsee_ : : :
That's what's sad about "Aged Drivers" , some know when to give up , others DON'T .
My Father-in-Law , came home one day , threw his car key's on the Kitchen table and said "That's it , my driving day's are over , the traffic is getting just too heavy ", and never drove again , I admired him for that .

On the other hand , My Father never knew when to give up " I've been driving for 60 years and never had an accident or been booked " , he was 80 at the time , if he was on a double lane round-about he'd enter in the left lane , right lane halfway through and exit on the left lane "again" , an accident waiting to happen .

We had a word to his doctor and got his licence cancelled "due to health reasons" (not a very good feeling to do to your father ,believe me) to get him off the road before he hurt someone , or himself . So he takes himself to the RTA and the guy says " Does your wife have a licence" , Dad " Oh , yes she does" , RTA guy , " Oh , no problems , I can give you a learners permit for 18 Months" ..... Geesh , what can you do ?

Edit :
Aeron , just noticed , you had the same problem , Scary , isn't it .

Keeping FORDS in the family

(Embarressment :yeees: , Son now has a "Camira" : )
"Look Right , Look Left , Look Right , BEFORE crossing Roads"
normxb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2007, 05:43 PM   #17
Yummy Mummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooky
My Dad told me one thing before I got my licence; "everyone else on the road does not know what they are doing, so treat them like idiots, leave extra room and dont take any chances" I have remembered it to this day. never had an 'at fault' accident.

What happened to wrapping yourself around a fire hydrant with no other cars involved? Was it the fire hydrant's fault????
Yummy Mummy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2007, 08:12 PM   #18
needaXYGT
AU II XR8

i had a incident the other day invloving an old lady as well......
i was approching a round-about and looking to the right prepering to give way and there was nothing coming, so i continued through the round-about to see my self heading right for the grannys car who didnt giveway let alone think about looking.
If i had of keept going i would've hit her cause i wasnt going to stop in time. So up onto the kerb i went popping both freakin tyers blasting the horn. the granny continued on without even knowing how smashed up her little fiesta could have been.
No damage to the car other than the tyers and marked up rims!
needaXYGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2007, 08:20 PM   #19
BA GT-HO
Bring back Ambrose!

I saw something terrifying recently while waiting for a red arrow to go green whilst turning right. An elderly gentlemen came up my left (in the lane that your meant to go straight in) at 60km/h and proceeded to turn right across the intersection against a red arrow. I am still coming to terms with how he managed not to get T boned by on coming traffic. Could not believe my eyes. He literally had no idea what had just happened!
BA GT-HO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2007, 08:28 PM   #20
Vdouw
Proud Ford Owner

HAHAHA ... sounds all too familiar! ... I am on the road everyday, and it will never cease to amaze me how many times a week i have to avoid an accident! Ha i have avoided 100 fold more accidents than i have had. ... ok lets do the maths ... 600 lol but yea and people call me a bad driver even though all they have is the accident i have had and not the 100 fold (i'll stick with that) that i have avoided. I hate these drivers who say "I have never had an accident in my entire life" to them i say "You have never pushed limits, driven everyday, under all conditions (ok i live in brissy there is no snow but hey i'll do that soon) and have the ability now to spot, and avoid an accident b4 the twit behind the wheel realise what they have done"
Vdouw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post