Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 23-03-2007, 12:43 AM   #1
Envi XR8
I love my beast too!

Default the best Merlot

Hi all,

I have a friend who loves a glass of red each night. I want to get them a very good bottle of merlot (favourite one apparently) for Easter. I know nothing about any wine : , except it makes you drunk :

I am looking for suggested brands etc. I am probably happy to spend $40. Would that get me a decent red?

Cheers (pardon the pun)
Envi

Envi XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2007, 09:14 AM   #2
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Try to get a"Plantagenet OMRAH Merlot 2003"

I'll have think and see what else I can come up with.

Have a look at their website may tell you where you can get it.

www.plantagenetwines.com

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2007, 09:17 AM   #3
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Try here. We buy all our wine from this place. His description and rating of the wines is very good.

http://www.nicks.com.au/index.aspx?

Cheers.
Old 23-03-2007, 10:29 AM   #4
lavenlaar
AUSV8S.COM

envi

im a manager of a liquor store...
im at work now
The best straight merlot that i have is possibly the Parker Estate Terra Rossa Merlot @ $40

Brendan
lavenlaar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2007, 10:47 AM   #5
adrianb

Happs in Margaret River, WA do my favourite Merlot branded as 'Three Hills'.

Merlot isn't as popular as shiraz for example so theres a big gap between the bottom of the barrel and the good ones. Shiraz or cabernet sauvignon theres lots of decent drinkable ones in the middle. Most merlot in australia is at the cheap end and most merlot grapes grown get used in cabernet/merlot blends. You will find a hell of a lot of merlots under $20 and usually they don't blow you away - try a good one though and its like silk!

The best merlots come from cool climates (its the main variety grown in bordeaux in france) so look for something from maybe Coonawarra region or Margaret River region.

Also, a plug for one of my good mates old man's Merlot which is awesome...

http://www.gherardi.com.au/ourwines/merlot/

Peter Gherardi has been a winemaker in Margaret River for decades and has worked as a winemaker at some of the biggest names in the region and started his own winery again a few years ago. The current is the 2001 Merlot and a 2001 Viognier as well.
Old 23-03-2007, 11:31 AM   #6
SirHenry
Falcon Unbelievable!

I quite like my merlots, my personal preference is "Preece" best part is its only about $14ish and is a very nice wine but it all depends on what your palate is I guess.
SirHenry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2007, 11:40 AM   #7
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Merlot is usually a very easy red wine to drink. A table in the late evening sunshine a gentle breeze a few freinds and a few bottles of Merlot. Life doesn't get much better.

:
Old 23-03-2007, 11:57 AM   #8
pb02
inconceivable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack
Merlot is usually a very easy red wine to drink. A table in the late evening sunshine a gentle breeze a few freinds and a few bottles of Merlot. Life doesn't get much better.

:
I agree, nothing beats it! Nice weather, nice wine, nice company, and some nice food!!! :sm_drool:

And remember, You need more wine if you can lie on the floor without holding on. : :hihi:
pb02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2007, 12:05 PM   #9
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb02
You need more wine if you can lie on the floor without holding on. : :hihi:

Dean Martin said that if I remember correctly.... :evil_laug
Old 23-03-2007, 12:18 PM   #10
pb02
inconceivable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack
Dean Martin said that if I remember correctly.... :evil_laug
If I remember correctly he also practiced what he preached! : :
pb02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2007, 01:00 PM   #11
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I find Merlot a bit heavy for my tastes ......... but then I have only just started to sample the reds ;)

One brand that no one has mentioned as yet is Jacobs Creek ...... Have found over the years that you cant go wrong with any of the wines they make
MotherNatureVer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2007, 02:15 PM   #12
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherNature
I find Merlot a bit heavy for my tastes ......... but then I have only just started to sample the reds ;)

One brand that no one has mentioned as yet is Jacobs Creek ...... Have found over the years that you cant go wrong with any of the wines they make
You are rite. Jacobs creek dropped of the radar for a couple of years but are starting to make a comeback. I just ordered 3 bottles of their 03 shiraz. This will be the first JC that have I bought in about 5 years.
Old 23-03-2007, 03:23 PM   #13
adrianb

Merlot is a very soft red and is used in blends to soften out the flavour and feel. It doesn't have the harsh tannins of a shiraz or cabernet and is a very fruity flavour (should be plums, berries and chocolate flavours). its a good wine to get used to reds on before you move onto cabernet or shiraz. It is a full-bodied wine though so it can be a bit much still if your experience with reds has been the lighter reds or rose`.
Old 23-03-2007, 03:38 PM   #14
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianb
Merlot is a very soft red and is used in blends to soften out the flavour and feel. It doesn't have the harsh tannins of a shiraz or cabernet and is a very fruity flavour (should be plums, berries and chocolate flavours). its a good wine to get used to reds on before you move onto cabernet or shiraz. It is a full-bodied wine though so it can be a bit much still if your experience with reds has been the lighter reds or rose`.

Its not new to me that I do EVERYTHING different to everyone else :P

We did a wine tasting in Mudgee last year and found Peter Van Gents little place ........ the best ever white ports there ..... anyhooo I sampled the shiraz and the cab savs & didnt mind them ..... the merlot was heavy for want of better words & then they gave me another wine to sample ....... cant for the life of me remember what it was but it had a funny name .......

I loved it & got a couple of bottles ..... the guy doing the tasting told me I was the first ever new red drinker to like it in all the time he had been doing tastings ......... he told me that he loved me & I should go back ....... My wonderful OH just looked at him :P ..... must try to remember the name of it py:
Old 23-03-2007, 03:44 PM   #15
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Went for a tasting at the Jacob's Creek visitor centre here in the Barossa. Crap wines and we had to pay for the tasting! Honestly, there are wines that are a lot better out there than Jacob's Creek.
I have to push St Hallett's wines as my wife is a winemaker there. They make great Shiraz (Faith, Blackwell and Old Block ranges) as well as some great whites. Poachers Blend and Eden Valley Riesling are two very nice white wines. I also tried their '06 GST (Grenache, Shiraz, Tourega) which is yet to be release and is also a very nice red wine.
www.sthallett.com.au
Old 23-03-2007, 03:56 PM   #16
lavenlaar
AUSV8S.COM

Pieter van Gent - sorry im a dutchman ;)
White port is beautiful (if you freeze it ;) )

re: Jacobs Creek like all the other commercial wines, ie: Rosemount , Penfolds , Lindemans.... etc they are all now multi-regional. and expect us to pay more.... Example - Penfolds Bin 389 (used to be Coonawarra / Kalimna) now just says SOUTH AUSTRALIA and you still pay $50 for it !

Merlot oin the cheaper end - Yellowtail Merlot $11

Mudgee wineries you should visit on a tasting tour - Frog Rock (under $20) Thistle Hill (damn nice pinot) diLusso

For those starting on reds, start with a Sangiovese (in Italian Chiante) then to Merlot -> Cabernet -> Shiraz

Cheers
Old 23-03-2007, 04:00 PM   #17
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavenlaar
For those starting on reds, start with a Sangiovese (in Italian Chiante) then to Merlot -> Cabernet -> Shiraz
Or if you don't want to have to worry about trying all of them to find out which is the best, just start with Merlot and stop with Merlot ;) If anyone's a Merlot drinker and they haven't tried 'Zilzie' - give it a go, absolutely beautiful.
Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2007, 04:06 PM   #18
lavenlaar
AUSV8S.COM

@ sgt Doofey

we sell a lot of St Hallets, poachers / gamekeepers...the best would have to be the Faith Shiraz (was actually rated BETTER than Grange)

pps - ive missed one brilliant merlot -----

Petaluma Coonawarra 'Indent' Merlot (only available in EXTREMELY LTD quantities)
Old 23-03-2007, 04:50 PM   #19
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
@ sgt Doofey

we sell a lot of St Hallets, poachers / gamekeepers...the best would have to be the Faith Shiraz (was actually rated BETTER than Grange)

pps - ive missed one brilliant merlot -----

Petaluma Coonawarra 'Indent' Merlot (only available in EXTREMELY LTD quantities)
Grange takes 15-30+ years to mature, Not saying its the perfect wine for everyone but a great vintage at its peak (like the 71 now) will blow you away. Of course it will always have its knockers.

The Petaluma indent is a beuty, The 2001 is the best of recent releases if you can find it but not at its peak yet.
ED Classic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2007, 05:35 PM   #20
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Pieter van Gent - sorry im a dutchman ;)
White port is beautiful (if you freeze it ;) )

Cheers
Hehehehehe thanks for that :P

I knew I got it wrong but couldnt figure out the exact spelling....... my uncle is a clog too & Im glad he doesnt read these forums or he would be up me :P

We found a couple of large ice blocks in the glass & then a good stiff amount of the white port is a perfect way to drink it ;)

I will have to keep an eye out for some of the wines mentioned in here ....... we dont have a great selection here ....... closest bottle shop is about 80k's from home :(
Old 23-03-2007, 05:45 PM   #21
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

All this talk of wine is making me thirsty. BTW is anyone heading to Clare in SA for the gourmet weekend? 5th 6th and 7th of may.
Old 24-03-2007, 03:07 PM   #22
drcook
I Bleed Orange!

the missus and i are BIG fans of anything that comes from the margaret river, wa region. 'evans & tate' especially make good white wines and a good merlot.
Old 24-03-2007, 06:17 PM   #23
J_Tank
Bring on the Boss

merlot = boring
J_Tank is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2007, 06:20 PM   #24
J_Tank
Bring on the Boss

Seven hill St. Ignatius; Coriole Shriaz or Sangiovese, or Taltarni shiraz/cab sav are my choices.
J_Tank is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2007, 10:23 PM   #25
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_xr6t
merlot = boring

NEOPHYTE!!!!!

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2007, 12:36 AM   #26
starkersEB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Im not usually a huge fan of Merlot when its not in a blend, but when i was working at at Brands winery in the coonawarra we made a brilliant Merlot and its not overly dear either about 30 bucks i think.

Its funny cos now i work in the distro of wines and id say about half of all the wines mentioned we distribute like Petaluma, Preece, St hallet etc..oh and their all owned by the same company (Lion Nathan)
starkersEB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post