Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-12-2006, 10:57 PM   #1
EB6
apprentice grease monkey

Default Whats with that speed limit

there's probaly been a million threads about this but i cant find one goin back 6 pages of history so here goes.

I dont know about other states SA is just plain **** with there speed limit setups. I drive down a very major road each day goin to work (victor harbour rd to those in SA). now the speed limit as it comes to the end to join onto main south rd used to be 80 but its now dropped to 60 at the bottom of the big hill coming down toward the intersection, as if that wasnt bad enough they have now made it 60 from half way up the hill to make it harder to not get done (as i believe) speeding due to the frequent police persence at the bottom.
Now this rd is a high fatality one but thats about 20km from this end of it.
Now this wouldnt bother me so much if it wasnt for the fact thats its a 60 zone and there isnt a house to be seen on the side except a couple built well off the road. The bit that makes it worse is another road i drive on is 70 and theres houses lined the whole length of it. (dyson rd for those who know).

Is there any standardising on this or not.

EB6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2006, 11:05 PM   #2
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The worst part about driving in S.A. I found was the 25Km/h speed limits at the many roadworks sites I came accross, its just too damn slow! I did like the red and black markers for deaths and injuries, makes you realise how dangerous driving can be.
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2006, 11:20 PM   #3
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

SA is a strange place when it comes to speed limits. I drove my dato roadster in the bay to birdwood in 04. I was dueling with a very hot (but but heavy) monaro down the hills back to ADL city. We went through a police "presence" on the way down the hills. We were well over the 100mph mark (my roadster is in mph not kph) and they just waved and that was it. And I mean we were going hard.... The road was closed to all but B2B traffic but supposedly all road laws were in place.

But I guess all road laws are a bit hipocrytical(sp?).

And the road to the NT border but generate heaps of revenue.
Cheers.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:24 PM   #4
fairmont1998
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The road probably needs repair, and the SA govt solution is to lower the limit. A road I use every day has developed some real bad undulations. So they put up "Uneven surface" yellow signs, problem solved....

2012 KK Jeep Cherokee Limited CRD - Still going strong
2019 MG ZS Essence
1988 RD Mitsubishi Colt GL - 59kW of Fury
2022 Kia Stinger GT
fairmont1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2006, 11:31 PM   #5
EB6
apprentice grease monkey

as craptacular as our roads are this stretch actually isnt too bad, i just wish there was some standard that a road with no houses on it and is open is this fast, one with houses is this fast. its like guessing which roads are 50 and which are 60.
i blame the p platers in there all mighty vn's there allways crashing and dying cos there cars cant actually do 200kph safely as they thought.
Old 06-12-2006, 12:43 AM   #6
thefargo
black xb
Donating Member3

EB6 if you are driving from willunga just shoot down malpas, it's as bumpy as hell but still 100km/hr and it will link you to south road, no waiting in line at the intersection, and a chance to put your foot down.
thefargo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2006, 01:21 PM   #7
XFshep
Bodysnatcher

alot of major roads at 60 here in perth, its so damn frustrating to putt along this slow when theres nothing holding the traffic up and no housing.
XFshep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2006, 01:27 PM   #8
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Do you guys have those 50km/h unless signposted otherwise zones? We have them in the ACT, now they are a pain in the butt.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2006, 01:45 PM   #9
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairmont1998
The road probably needs repair, and the SA govt solution is to lower the limit. A road I use every day has developed some real bad undulations. So they put up "Uneven surface" yellow signs, problem solved....
Lol, not along Darley rd is it darin?

Heading north along there... you pass a yellow "uneven surface" sign. 20 metres down the road, the limit changes from 60 to 80. You feel like you're driving the car in the old computer game "moon buggy" as you bounce along between each undulation.

Quote:
its like guessing which roads are 50 and which are 60
Prob disagree with that one mate. 50 is the default. If you dont know what the limit is, you do 50 until you see a sign stating otherwise. Not saying i agree/disagree with 50 zones... but knowing the limit is fairly straightforward....

Quote:
Do you guys have those 50km/h unless signposted otherwise zones?
Indeed we do... they were supposed to be phased out shortly after the implementation of the 50km/hr default limit.... but they've stayed.

All i can say is thank god for our generous tolerances on speed limit infringements. Happily do 120 on the freeway (110 zone) and can concentrate on the road instead of driving "in the mirror" looking for VZ commos.
Old 06-12-2006, 01:48 PM   #10
needaXYGT
AU II XR8

Quote:
SA is a strange place when it comes to speed limits. I drove my dato roadster in the bay to birdwood in 04. I was dueling with a very hot (but but heavy) monaro down the hills back to ADL city. We went through a police "presence" on the way down the hills. We were well over the 100mph mark (my roadster is in mph not kph) and they just waved and that was it. And I mean we were going hard.... The road was closed to all but B2B traffic but supposedly all road laws were in place.
lol my dad did this against a monaro except he was in his XF falcon
needaXYGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2006, 02:02 PM   #11
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The 50Km/h speed limit is just to get more money out of you when you are caught way over.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:14 PM   #12
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
All i can say is thank god for our generous tolerances on speed limit infringements. Happily do 120 on the freeway (110 zone) and can concentrate on the road instead of driving "in the mirror" looking for VZ commos.
Same here. Most roads are rated way under what they are capable of handling.

As for 50 zones. I do 50 when it warrants it. Safety my butt pfft!
Old 06-12-2006, 02:38 PM   #13
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Well it's one thing to have a certain view regarding certain laws... but i certainly wouldnt encourage anyone to drive around "cherry picking" which rules they choose to abide by...

At the end of the day, driving is not a right... its a privelledge that they can and will remove from your posession...

I dont know if something as petty as 50km/hr zones is worth losing your licence for... surely there are much more important and meaningful crusades we could engage ourselves with ?? lol
Old 06-12-2006, 02:50 PM   #14
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
Well it's one thing to have a certain view regarding certain laws... but i certainly wouldnt encourage anyone to drive around "cherry picking" which rules they choose to abide by...

At the end of the day, driving is not a right... its a privelledge that they can and will remove from your posession...

I dont know if something as petty as 50km/hr zones is worth losing your licence for... surely there are much more important and meaningful crusades we could engage ourselves with ?? lol
Yeah I agree, I'm not going to do say 100 in 50 that would be plain stupid.

I wouldn't complain if I got caught much the same as if you got done for doing 120 in the 110 as you said. But seriously 50 in some areas is quite rediculous.
Old 06-12-2006, 03:03 PM   #15
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
Yeah I agree, I'm not going to do say 100 in 50 that would be plain stupid.

I wouldn't complain if I got caught much the same as if you got done for doing 120 in the 110 as you said. But seriously 50 in some areas is quite rediculous.
40Km/h school zones are even more rediculous. Considering I got booked by camera for doing 50(!) in what is normally a 70 zone!!!
Old 06-12-2006, 03:06 PM   #16
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcgxl
40Km/h school zones are even more rediculous. Considering I got booked by camera for doing 50(!) in what is normally a 70 zone!!!
They are in force all day in the ACT. I do support them during start and end of school but not for the whole day.

I do not support them at colleges and high schools either. You are big and ugly enough at this age to be responsible.

I got a warning for 55 in a 40 in a college zone.
Old 06-12-2006, 03:15 PM   #17
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Gotta be wary of some townships ... on my way down to Melbourne earlier in the year ... the speed limit went from 100km/h straight to 50km/h ... with a cop hiding behind a tree waiting with a radar. Gotta be on your toes.

Also when I was on my Ps there were a number of roads that were 100km/h that I was looking forward to actually doing ... as I get my full licence ... they all changed to 80km/h .... what a bugger. Also some of the country roads that were fixed and resurfaced had their speed limit changed from 100km/h back to 80km/h. Um ... hello ... god knows why. No accidents in the area and not a house to see for miles.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2006, 03:18 PM   #18
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
Gotta be wary of some townships ... on my way down to Melbourne earlier in the year ... the speed limit went from 100km/h straight to 50km/h ... with a cop hiding behind a tree waiting with a radar. Gotta be on your toes.
Happens on this road that goes down the coast from here too. So another opportunity to ***** about the KINGS HIGHWAY at Bugendore.

I got overtaken by a Ford Ka in this zone because I was doing the limit!
Old 06-12-2006, 03:22 PM   #19
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I think i know where you mean ... and it's still way out of town on a straight section of road ... with all the agriculture signs on the left.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2006, 03:26 PM   #20
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I think i know where you mean ... and it's still way out of town on a straight section of road ... with all the agriculture signs on the left.
Yep. The road is straight as an arrow. You chuck a right turn in town to head to the coast and it's straight as an arrow too. Surely in town it should be slower but not 50. 60 at the minimum.

Usually there is a radar at the end comming out. But I've been through so many times I know not to speed but it would catch unsuspecting tourists.
Old 06-12-2006, 06:09 PM   #21
BLDNUT01

oh yeah i cant stand the speed limits in S.a like anzac hwy its 60 all the way with 3 lanes and the southern express way is stupid too 1 way for half the day then traffic flows the other way for the other half of the day just the govt being tight like they don,t get enough cash from speeding cos of all the fluxuating speed limits and my last gripe is the (enws) steel round things in the road like little pot holes apart from is not that bad there
Old 06-12-2006, 09:07 PM   #22
EB6
apprentice grease monkey

Another thing that gets on my nerves is that there dropping speed limits befor the towns so early. If i go from willunga to mclaren vale, in the 6km gap u do 100 for about 2km then its back to 80 and 60 well before u get near a house in mclaren vale. And suprise suprise there's alot of cops around there as well.
But does anyone know if there is suppos to be a standarisation on speed limits or they just put up the speed limit that makes the most money.
Old 06-12-2006, 11:32 PM   #23
Sm0kinup
TYRE FRYER

It gives me the sh#ts when its all over the news that the cops are angry because the speed limits are to high causing to many deaths on our roads lets lower them. Its not the speed, its the idiots out there that cause them, people are still gonna die even if the highest limit was 50kmhr everywhere you cause more accidents because the majority of people would dissobey them and collide with people doing the limit, its a balance that needs to be weighed out. Accidents happen no matter what, people die, its life.