Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-03-2005, 08:38 PM   #31
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasi
Keep in mind, also, that Seton won two V8 Supercar championships with that engine in the 90s, including one in an EB.
What does a $100,000 specially built 600hp race engine that is built that way (5.0, pushrod, EFI) because of a specific set of rules have to do with normal street cars? A 351W will always be more capable then a 302W because of its larger deck which enables larger bore sizes and larger strokes/rods to be used for capacities in excess of 7.0 litres. The furthest you can take a 302 is 5.7 litres.
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2005, 08:47 PM   #32
Psycho Chicken
Banned

And someone correct me if I'm wrong but aren't all Ford V8 supsercar engines since the introduction of the V8 rules Wheezers?
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2005, 08:53 PM   #33
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes they are... Not much in common with road going wheezers though!
Old 22-03-2005, 09:14 PM   #34
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

Fords in v8sc use a motorsport block not the road car block.
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2005, 09:16 PM   #35
Gammaboy
Grinder+Welder = Race car

But that'd never win you a race in the pub!
351W was a pretty good truck motor anyway....
Gammaboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2005, 09:19 PM   #36
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Well naturally, would you spend $100,000 on an engine and use a $500 block?
Old 22-03-2005, 09:19 PM   #37
Barry_v
rocknrolla

its still the same block, just made stronger and the cylinder walls thicker to cope with lots of re-bores. they have big port alloy heads too. the inlet manifold is the biggie, totally different to a road car setup.
Barry_v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2005, 09:27 PM   #38
Gammaboy

funnily enought those heads are closer to clevo's than windsors....
Old 22-03-2005, 09:34 PM   #39
Barry_v
rocknrolla

yeah they are massive ports. the inlet manifolds resemble nothing road-going though, they run an offset distributer they're so big. i think they used to run the injectors outside the manifold too, do they still do that?
Barry_v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2005, 09:43 PM   #40
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry_v
its still the same block, just made stronger and the cylinder walls thicker to cope with lots of re-bores. they have big port alloy heads too. the inlet manifold is the biggie, totally different to a road car setup.
Yeah I know it's the same design but it's not the same jobbie you'll find in the $250 302 you get out of the Trading Post.
Old 22-03-2005, 09:50 PM   #41
Gammaboy

Quote:
yeah they are massive ports. the inlet manifolds resemble nothing road-going though, they run an offset distributer they're so big. i think they used to run the injectors outside the manifold too, do they still do that?
The Yates heads they run started life in the early eighties with canted valves, a unique exhaust port and intakes that were basically a 4V clevo with a port stuffer... I dunno exactly when the transition was made, but they now run a non canted valve geometry, unique exhaust ports and an intake thats derived from the earlier stuffed 4V type.... I think they start with the Yates head casting thats intended for Nascars running restrictor plates (smallish ports), more room for optimising the porting.
Old 22-03-2005, 11:29 PM   #42
Quasi
Boss 290 BA GT Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
What does a $100,000 specially built 600hp race engine that is built that way (5.0, pushrod, EFI) because of a specific set of rules have to do with normal street cars? A 351W will always be more capable then a 302W because of its larger deck which enables larger bore sizes and larger strokes/rods to be used for capacities in excess of 7.0 litres. The furthest you can take a 302 is 5.7 litres.
There wouldn't have been any of the teams spending $100,000 per engine in 1992/93 (unless you count staff wages).
The Toy - 03 BA GT In 'Venom', Silver BF Stripe Kit, Non-Premium Sound, Cloth Trim, Auto, 19" Staggered Vertini, Custom Exhaust, Roof DVD

Member of the FPV & XR Owners Club of ACT

Web Links To Check Out

Shannons Club Garage

Facebook Photo Albums
Quasi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2005, 11:21 PM   #43
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
I believe they still do. I can remember seeing a few pics of the engines with the injectors inside the inlet trumpets on top of the engine.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2005, 05:57 PM   #44
347Stroker
Banned

Well guys, I am putting a 351 Windsor into an EL, so at least there will be one on the road, finally.
347Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2005, 06:06 PM   #45
Jase
-Village Idiot-

I comtemplated it also aye.

Should bolt straigh ontot 5L mounts... the 351C's do, and i think the stud patten for the bell housing is all the same aswell.

Should be fun, loooots more torque!
Jase is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2005, 10:44 PM   #46
GTENVY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just going back to the Boss/SVT Cobra R engine comparo, the research I've done the Boss 5.4 Block is a F series truck block, where as the 5.4 in the cobra R was a limited run, they used specific casts for them which are design to only be used a certian amount of times, then throw em away. I found this looking on one of the US sites. Agree about the 351w, much stronger block standard and the bolt pattern for the auxileries and bell housing are the same. Been thinking about doing this to my EB XR8, but getting an XB coupe shortly. There goes the funds for that upgrade :

Live, Love, RACE

SOLD: AU III XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
cars are to be driven, ornaments are to be looked at. the two should never be confused.
GTENVY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2005, 06:13 PM   #47
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

I remember reading in a US magazine that said the SVT Cobra R block was from a Lincoln Navigator which I thought was the same as the F-Trucks?
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2005, 01:32 AM   #48
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra
I remember reading in a US magazine that said the SVT Cobra R block was from a Lincoln Navigator which I thought was the same as the F-Trucks?
It is basically the same, the only difference I know of is the Navigator uses 4 valve heads and the F series don't, but the blocks are still the same though. The special tooling used on the Cobra R was for the heads, and FPV couldn't get them as they were stuffed, but they managed to get the upgraded Cobra R versions anyway, but I still have no idea which american vehicle uses them as when they were first installed on the Boss motors they weren't used on any other vehicle, they were unique to the BA, but i'm sure they will have been used on something else as why else would they have bothered to upgrade the Cobra R heads if they weren't going to be used in the US.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post