Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 10-03-2011, 08:35 PM   #1
evzetec
Starter Motor

Default Short throw shifter options....

G'Day guys.

Wondering if anyone out there has any experience with the short throw shifters available for the WS Zetecs? I have been looking at the Steeda ones from the states but I cant get a definitive answer on whether it is suitable for the Aus models? Same deal with the Ford Racing parts model, all though they look identical so maybe they are from the same manufacturer??

Can anyone help shed some light on this?

This is all new to me, picking up my new WS Zetec on monday!!!

evzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2011, 10:08 PM   #2
Samtheband
hear my ute purr.......

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11320179

No mods yet.
Samtheband is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2011, 10:53 PM   #3
evzetec
Starter Motor

Cheers Samtheband. I have looked over that discussion before and can't figure out if they are the same product. The Steeda and Ford parts seem to be a entire assembly but from the discussion the Europarts one sounds like a shortened stick... Not sure what is what, plus I can't find a Europarts install guide on the net to look over any diagrams.....
Old 10-03-2011, 10:55 PM   #4
evzetec
Starter Motor

Samtheband;

Did you end up getting one? Noticed in the discussion you were thinking about it for your g/f.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:04 AM   #5
Samtheband
hear my ute purr.......

I'm going to just haven't had the cash to get it. It's on the cards thought, I used to own an xr5 and have dealt with european parts before.

No mods yet.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:05 AM   #6
Samtheband
hear my ute purr.......

It's not a stick, it's the actual shifter kit

No mods yet.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:15 PM   #7
geelong festy

Default Re: Short throw shifter options....

Bought one from Central Florida Motorsports and they are identical, just re-badged I suspect as has Ford part numbers on it. It is a complete gearshift assembly which is a simple bolt-in job. You just take the side panels off the centre console, undo four bolts and it's out. 30 min tops. Gear shift cables snap in and out, no special tools, just 10mm combination spanner and a screwdriver. These guys are one of the few that post to outside the States. Steeda DON'T. Cheers, Lee, Geelong.
geelong festy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2011, 10:10 PM   #8
evzetec
Starter Motor

Lee,

Have you received the unit yet? I ended up getting one from steeda directly but I am currently having problems with it.... Can't hold 2nd, 4th or reverse. Have been talking to steeda for the last week or so trying to resolve the issue but it looks like a design issue that has made it not compatible with AUS models! Let me know how you go with your unit, hopefully you have more luck than me!!
Cheers, Evan
Old 06-04-2011, 06:10 PM   #9
geelong festy

Hi Evan, Yes, I've had it in for a little while and it bolted in and worked perfectly. The only problem I had was shortly after fitting I had no gears at all because I had broken the sheath around the cable and it would jam. Fixed that with some gentle grinding on the cable outer. Mine has no markings on it other than Ford and Ford racing. All genuine Ford part numbers which makes me think it's not Steeda! What markings does yours have? I suspect that adjustment would be criticle because of the everything is rubber mounted. They make metal mounts to increase the accuracy, that may help? The bend of the gear lever itself is obviously meant for left hand drive cars and if it's not quite right the lever will hit the gear surround and gaiter interfering gear changes. Over all it's been worth the spend. Cheers, Lee, Geelong.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:11 PM   #10
evzetec
Starter Motor

Mine seems to be a genuine ford base and the shifter assembly which fits into the base being fabricated by steeda. Everything fits perfectly until you try to select all the gears I mentioned. I have looked at the original part next to the new one and it is quite obvious what the issue is. The ball stud that the gear selector clips over is sitting about 15mm higher on the short shifter which causes the problem. Steeda have told me that this has never been an issue before!!! Not sure how I am going to sort this out. What year and model is your Fiesta? Cheers Evan
Old 07-04-2011, 07:07 PM   #11
geelong festy

Hi Evan, I'm certainly no expert, but the way I looked at it was that the 15mm rise of the ball was to create the shorter throw ratio, along with the shorter stick, which of course is what you want. The way the cables clip into the base is critical, as if they are not seated they will move and you will not get gear selection. I haven't needed to adjust the cables, but I reckon they'd be a headache to adjust. I was expecting that I would have to adjust the cables when I fitted the unit but was pleasantly surprised that it went straight in. I've been googling images of the two brands of shifter and bugger if I can see the difference. Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evzetec
Mine seems to be a genuine ford base and the shifter assembly which fits into the base being fabricated by steeda. Everything fits perfectly until you try to select all the gears I mentioned. I have looked at the original part next to the new one and it is quite obvious what the issue is. The ball stud that the gear selector clips over is sitting about 15mm higher on the short shifter which causes the problem. Steeda have told me that this has never been an issue before!!! Not sure how I am going to sort this out. What year and model is your Fiesta? Cheers Evan
Old 07-04-2011, 09:45 PM   #12
geelong festy

Pictures of the different shifters, each one is looking from opposite directions, but you get the idea.

Last edited by geelong festy; 19-05-2011 at 07:55 PM.