Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-04-2009, 03:13 PM   #1
ehast13
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default toyota camry reliability

I don't know if this is the correct forum but here goes....

My elderly father has a 1995 camry. Unfortunately, his head gasket has blown.

This is the second time the head gasket has gone. The car has 190,000klms and the last time it went was 100,000.

His car is immaculate. Always maintained. Proper coolant. proper oil etc.

He spent over $1500 last time and this time he has been quoted $2500.

The camry is supposed to be reliable and well built. Does anyone know of a mechanic who won't rip him off?

He is isn't loaded with cash (he drives a $2000 camry!) and it seems that everyone we've taken it too tells us it is a major deal. The car isn't get hot or running rough but has started to lose water.

I can get an ea to el gasket done (inlcuding machining the head) for under a grand. A camry is $2500!

If anyone knows someone in the brisbane/ipswich/toowoomba area that can do a reasonably priced job, please let me know.

Alternatively, are jap import motors an option?

I figured this forum is for car related stuff and thought I'd ask around. Somebody here might own a camry or have a missus that has one.

ehast13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2009, 03:18 PM   #2
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Fords mainly. Just sounds like a dud. They're reliable but sometimes you get a lemon or two.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2009, 04:02 PM   #3
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

Sounds like he needs to get a Falcon. '90s model Falcon's never have head gasket problems, not like those troublesome Camrys.
Old 15-04-2009, 04:04 PM   #4
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_190
Sounds like he needs to get a Falcon. '90s model Falcon's never have head gasket problems, not like those troublesome Camrys.
Shh, your sarcasm might be taken as the truth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2009, 04:24 PM   #5
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

AFAIK the main issue with 4 cyl camrys is when people do not pay attention to the timing chain/belt? and it lets go, that is big dollars. For 2.5k I would sell the car or put another motor in it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2009, 04:39 PM   #6
bmar560
'04 BA XT Wagon

I owned a 2003 camry 4 cylinder model before my current car. Gutless as hell up the hills... but is very reliable. damn thing never breaks down. It was serviced regularly of course.
bmar560 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2009, 04:40 PM   #7
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Ok, a lot of BS in this thread already.
Fact:
My parents have a 95 camry. Have owned it since new. It has 216k on the clock, and it'd be worth a grand total of $1500 even though it is in good condition for its age.
It had a cracked head about 18 months ago, and was replaced, along with a new head gasket, parts and labour (i believe it was a reco head they put on?) for around the $1200 mark.
And i don't blame the cracked head on toyota or lack of maintenance, the car never, ever got hot nor had a cooling problem its whole life. I blame my parents, as the car gets used for 6 x 3km trips every day and has done every day for it's 14 year life. Pushed hard from cold every time, never really getting up to operating temperature. Simply the cold-warm-cold-warm-cold-warm-cold-warm-cold cycle the poor old head went through every day for years and years caused the crack in the head.
My parents are also in the school of thought that you never leave a car running, even only for a minute, 'it uses too much fuel'. This is from the people who told me that six cylinder cars use half a time again as much fuel as four cylinder cars because they have half a time again as many cylinders. Pure hokey.
And yes, timing belt breaking is a common problem. It is not big dollars at all, as the motors are whats known as 'clearance' or 'non-interference' motors, ie if the belt breaks, it don't bend valves etc.
This happened to have been tested in practice, there was a new timing belt put on it as 100k but at 179k my brother was driving it and suddenly no more workie. So back of a flatbed it went, and yep, broken timing belt. Only $3-400 iirc, and that was changing a few pulleys and whatnot too.

Last edited by Mr Hardware; 15-04-2009 at 04:52 PM.
Mr Hardware is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2009, 04:44 PM   #8
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
AFAIK the main issue with 4 cyl camrys is when people do not pay attention to the timing chain/belt? and it lets go, that is big dollars. For 2.5k I would sell the car or put another motor in it.

No issues with my timing chain (as I had it changed along with the water pump) yet my head gasket still went. The car is an all alloy motor and you can keep driving it till it dies (which will take a fair while). We still got ours and its on it's last legs but will still go most places (as long as its a short distance).

Just be happy the cage bearing on the thing didn't go (normally about the 120,000k mark) now thats a fun rebuild especially if the steel from the bearing goes into the transaxel.
Old 15-04-2009, 04:59 PM   #9
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is it a V6 or 4cyl?
There was a massive cover up regarding the early V6s cooling system (cracked heads, headgaskets etc) So much they were 'recalled' only recently in Japan and New Zealand, but Australia was ignored....

But you only ever hear of Falcon's problems...
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2009, 05:05 PM   #10
YOOT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehast13
I don't know if this is the correct forum but here goes....

My elderly father has a 1995 camry. Unfortunately, his head gasket has blown.

This is the second time the head gasket has gone. The car has 190,000klms and the last time it went was 100,000.

His car is immaculate. Always maintained. Proper coolant. proper oil etc.

He spent over $1500 last time and this time he has been quoted $2500.

The camry is supposed to be reliable and well built. Does anyone know of a mechanic who won't rip him off?

He is isn't loaded with cash (he drives a $2000 camry!) and it seems that everyone we've taken it too tells us it is a major deal. The car isn't get hot or running rough but has started to lose water.

I can get an ea to el gasket done (inlcuding machining the head) for under a grand. A camry is $2500!

If anyone knows someone in the brisbane/ipswich/toowoomba area that can do a reasonably priced job, please let me know.

Alternatively, are jap import motors an option?

I figured this forum is for car related stuff and thought I'd ask around. Somebody here might own a camry or have a missus that has one.

Sounds pretty reliable to me, did it ever leave your father stranded? If no , then its better than most falcons of the same era.

If you can go 200,000kms in any car with two major repairs I think you are doing just fine.
YOOT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2009, 05:06 PM   #11
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Also rememeber a V6 will cost double as much to do a headgasket as its common practice to change both, even if only one has failed.

Old 15-04-2009, 05:07 PM   #12
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Ok, a lot of BS in this thread already.
I merely offered an opinion, and $500 for a new timing belt is big dollars. That's just under a weeks wages for some people.....
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2009, 05:08 PM   #13
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive had Falcons for years, and the only time ive been stranded was a broken water pump belt, and a broken clutch cable clip (I could of driven home in the latter's case but there were a few possible hillstarts I didnt want to contend with.

Old 15-04-2009, 05:10 PM   #14
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

That sounds high for a headgasket repair, id look at doing it yourself, it is possible the Head is cracked, but seeing as though it isnt loosing coolant or contaminating oil, it shouldnt be cracked. See another mechanic. Import motors... forget it. Finding a low klm Australian, or reconditioned exchange motor might be a go'er though.

As for Camry reliability i will vouch for it, I had a 2002 Avalon VXI V6 and it was far and away the most reliable car id ever had, did not have a solitary problem with it- ZERO. Even made my AU look like an old Alfa.

Now the early V6's (2VZ i think) were damn near bulletproof , the 4cyl 2.2's (5S-FE) suffered from Headgasket problems, and were gutless but otherwise good. The headgasket problems were once again mainly due to Iron block, Alloy Head and non metal gasket. As for the later V6 (1MZ-FE) they are perfectly reliable too, except in the USA were the service periods wer too long and old oil was sludging up in the rocker gear.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2009, 08:31 PM   #15
ehast13
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

car is just a 4 cyl. The live in a country town so it really only gets high way running.

Mr Hardware - where did your folks get their head done for 1200 bucks? Anywhere in QLD???

My ef has done 290,000klms I have owned it since new and has driven highway runs, local runs, had the wife tear around school zones and carparks in any amount of haphazard ways. The head gasket has never failed. Let alone fail every 100,ooo klms like Dad's camry.

Seriously, if you take the head off, machine it, replace valve guides, replace timing belt and gaskets it would still cost less than 500 bucks (i checked prices today). That would mean that the mechanics are getting 2 grand labour (at least).

I really don't want to pull it off myself. I am not a teenager anymore and I don't like pulling apart anyone else's car.

It is almost as if the workshops around the place all price-fix a head gasket at $2500. Puh-lease, what a crock. This is real price gouging.
Old 15-04-2009, 08:47 PM   #16
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Out of curiosity ... have you tried taking it to a Toyota dealer for a quote? It is often cheaper than the local garage for these type of major repairs. If you do, keep a firm line with the Dealer by explaining that you know the car is old and you just want the basics to keep you going. Our old Corolla had nearly 260K on the clock and we were more than happy to keep taking it back to the local Toyota Dealer.

That said ... there must be something else wrong to be blowing head gaskets every 100K. With some degree of care, they should outlast the life of the engine. Are you sure the coolant is replaced every 12 months and new inhibitor added?

The other problem with the Camry’s engine is that if the inhibitor is not routinely changed it can be a real expense to get the head off. I have heard horror stories of corroded bolts shearing off and the head being corroded to the block.

If it was me I would have two strategies. Plan A) If you have any mechanical aptitude, you can try to change the gasket yourself. It is not hard to do, once someone has shown you how to do it. Plan B) ditch the vehicle for another Camry. Two grand buys a lot of second hand 90’s vintage Toyota.
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2009, 08:59 PM   #17
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Chances are last time it was done they didn't fit NEW head bolts..
Which is what really lets go...
With iron block alloy heads..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2009, 09:07 PM   #18
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

hi again ehast13
sure did get it done in bris - the mechanic my parents take their car to is a bloke i used to work with years ago when i was an unqual mechanic. he's only a little player at a local garage so he organised for it to be outsourced to a local mob that he deals with. They did a top notch job too - full warranty and it's been going strong for the last 18 months. No wait, it must be a smidgeon over two years now. Wow how time flies! So to answer your question, yes i believe it was done in northgate or virginia on brisbane's northside.
Old 15-04-2009, 09:17 PM   #19
ehast13
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mr Hrdware - PM sent.

Good to see another lpg fan.

All my cars run on it.
Old 15-04-2009, 09:22 PM   #20
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

And when you finally get the head to stop blow gaskets then you will find that the shocks are all wornout & the steering rack is leeking, for crying out loud just go get another car since cars like Camry were only ever built to be replaced.
cosmo20btt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2009, 09:32 PM   #21
alter_EGOXR
BF MKII XR6

yeah we still got an 95 camma (5s-fe) its only got about 120ks on it, and so far no problems..we are just waiting for the timing belt to give way, coz it is a "non-interference" block and its bound to give way anytime soon....mate tell your father to get it checked out by a small local mechanic(they seem to be the only genuine mechanics left these days) and ask him how much it will set him back...if its gonna cost more than what the car is worth, its probably time to get a new ride! may i make a suggestion...go with a falcon :P
alter_EGOXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2009, 09:40 PM   #22
ehast13
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

wow. quite helpful. The car is well maintained COSMO20btt. It is immaculate. Even if he has to spend 2500 it is still cheaper than finding another car as well maintained and as immaculate.

Your insight is amazing. Toyota is renowned for building cars that go for ever. Apart from the head gasket it has never given any trouble.

What do you drive?

A cosmo with a 20B? They are REALLY known for their reliabilty!

Check out mazdacosmosucks.com.nz

(please note: this is not the opinion of ehast13 or ford forums. I have owned a couple of rotaries and never had a problem - but i'd still rather cruise across the nullabor in camry than a 20b cosmo!)

I appreciate your honesty, but my old man doesn't have enough pension cheques in the bank to simply replace his car every time something needs to be fixed.

It was the last new car he bought before he retired. If he gets another 8 years/100,000klms out of it it will still be only $300 bucks per year.

My main issue is blokes wanting $2500 when there is no evidence of cracked head, no overheating (yet) etc.

Maybe you could forward my old a man a few bucks to replace his car. One weeks fuel money (around fifteen thousand dollars) for a 20b should cover it!

No offence mate, I'm just having a laugh. I'm downing a few Chivas Regal and Coke and I'm trying to see a lighter side of this issue.
Old 15-04-2009, 09:45 PM   #23
ehast13
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Awww, Cosmo20btt. I shouldn't have been so sarcastic. May I publicly apolgise for being cheeky re your post. It was uncalled for and the reason I rarely drink.

Some people don't like themselves when they drink.
I'm fine with it, it's everyone who has the problem.
Old 15-04-2009, 10:29 PM   #24
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

Well, my first car as a 1988 SV21 camry, CS-X Auto, 1988.. Sold it at 350000kms. Well maintained yet drove like new. guess what, apart from timing belt and water pump the rocker cover never came off!!!

Motor went well and the car was one of the most effecient and reliable I have ever owned. It's the same motor in the 95 SV22'ss....
Reason for the cost is they may be doing the water pump, timing belt, and if they're a good shop they will also be packing the valve seats with shims, which is needed to be done.

I would find out what work the quote entails before complaining, if it's all the above plus genuine gasket, all other seals and sundries, and included new head bolts it sounds a good deal.

Anyone can get a rattle gun and super cheap head gasket to an EL for $1200.00

Also accept Jap cars are more expensive in labour...

Cheers

FGX-XR8 Manual, BFII E-Gas, '11 GSXR 1000 - Love 'em!
FPV Tickford Club of NSW - www.fpvclub.com
Bluehoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2009, 11:05 PM   #25
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

there is a lot of labour and unseen work in doing a head imo, a cheap job is not always a good job.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2009, 11:47 PM   #26
PALE ALE

Mate, you are going to have to shop around, $2500 is a rip off. Although they are a bit more involved than a falcon( mainly because of twin cams, and the procedure to pull them out, then put them back in)I wouldnt pay anything more than $1500. I've done about 6 of them and I've never come across a cracked head(head sent to engineers,pressure tested and skimmed) so I would doubt that will need replacing. It's a shame you're in Queensland, if you were in S.A., and the head came back from engineers with a clean bill of health, you're timing belt is O.K./ not due, belt tensioners dont need replacing, crank seal doesnt leak, could do it for around $700-$800
PALE ALE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2009, 11:55 PM   #27
bigdude1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot
Two grand buys a lot of second hand 90’s vintage Toyota.
Like what? A quarter of an EARLY AE101 Corolla?
Seriously, when I was looking, a '93 'Rolla was $3k.
If you have two grand. Save for an AU
bigdude1011 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2009, 12:43 AM   #28
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdude1011
Like what? A quarter of an EARLY AE101 Corolla?
Seriously, when I was looking, a '93 'Rolla was $3k.
If you have two grand. Save for an AU
Where on earth where you looking? Sounds like someone trying to gyp you.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2009, 08:25 AM   #29
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehast13
Awww, Cosmo20btt. I shouldn't have been so sarcastic. May I publicly apolgise for being cheeky re your post. It was uncalled for and the reason I rarely drink.

Some people don't like themselves when they drink.
I'm fine with it, it's everyone who has the problem.
Thats ok ehast13 I do own a Cosmo 20b (which I had to rebuild at 72000ks) but I also have 2 Fords as well. I understand the predicament that you are in and sometimes I have found that cutting losses is the best way. But that is something that you must work out for your self.
cosmo20btt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2009, 01:33 AM   #30
mustang70

my work camry did 350 000 km of hard driving and little servicing until it did a big end, head never went, i believe the timing chain was done once (maybe) by previous owner,bought car at just over 100 000km.

the only problems i know of with these engine is they tend to muck up very badly if you dont change oil frequently,more than most motors, which leads to oil starvation.

the repair costs you've shown are pretty high, i got a rebuilt motor for $1000 (mate of a mate type deal) and got it fitted for about the same. i did some work on the (blown) engine and they're not too much fun to work on,alot more work than other front wheel drives i've worked on, pretty tight fit
i would think for $3000 you'd get a full rebuild, $2500 on a new head, on an old motor is just forcing you to keep spending if the motor goes

if he likes the car look at a new motor ? or if just repairing i wouldnt spend too much over $1500

i had a similar situation when the engine went in my camry, $3000 for a new engine on a car worth $3000 maximum, or $100 for scrap metal, i went with the new motor as i figured it would keep me going for another 300 000k, someone wrote the car off 2 weeks later....
mustang70 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post