Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-06-2008, 08:18 PM   #1
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question Info please on Jeep Wranglers

I friend of mine is wanting to buy a 2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport (manual) and has asked for my opinion. The one she's looking at is on the east coast and we're in Perth so I'll be getting an independent vehicle inspection and allow $500 for transport costs.

Trouble is I know nothing about them. I heard the real early models had a bit of a bad rep for transmissions or something.

This one has done 110,000 kays and supposedly serviced every 5000 kays. I'll confirm this by checking documentation. Appears to be in VGC from pics.

So does anyone have any feedback good or bad on these things.
Thanks in advance.

Old 12-06-2008, 10:34 PM   #2
cycle myth

Its a Jeep.

From what I understand most Dealers will avoid Jeeps as used cars on their lots to avoid customer dissatisfaction and higher warranty claims.

Enough said - there must be better options
cycle myth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2008, 10:41 PM   #3
Reign
Argg..

I could rant on for donkeys years, but I won't, please don't buy a Jeep all they are is bad news
Reign is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2008, 10:46 PM   #4
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

LOL jeeps are !
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2008, 10:47 PM   #5
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Will agree with what the others have said and i will add that surely if she really wants a jeep, surely there would be one local?? It's a lot of effort for a potentially disappointing car.

just my 2c
DoreSlamR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2008, 11:10 PM   #6
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

If she likes the wind in her hair, the feeling of rain drops on the face and the tunes of the wind rushing past with the rumble of the road ...... yep they are great! THATS with the roof on too! Only passengered in one and turned the radio down at every set of lights. The engine isnt bad though! The 4 litre inline wasnt too shabby but 2 tonnes of truck would get a bit tiresome very quickly

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2008, 11:15 PM   #7
Mark^^
Two-Spirits

Here is a good website for Jeeps: www.ausjeepoffroad.com

The new Wranglers are great and have many good features. I want a Wrangler Unlimited
Mark^^ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2008, 11:21 PM   #8
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't know about the Wranglers but the service costs on the GC from the dealership is theft!! ~$600-800 for a regular service, parts are a rip off as well, $1200 for a new radiator, and dont even think about getting your local to service it, apparently you need special training in dismantling a Jeep to change the simplest of parts.
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2008, 12:36 AM   #9
HLC
Audi S3

My sister (18) has a Jeep Wrangler renegade.

1997 model with only 47 000 kays on it. was a cairns car, actually belonged to my grandfather.

since we've had it, its had radiator problems. replaced twice i think, i dunno. but i believe the first replacement was faulty (again unsure, my dad sorted all that out lol)

other than that. its a brick on wheels. slow, bad on fuel. but i think it looks cool, and even better with the roof off and my sisters friends in the back : : :
Old 13-06-2008, 01:31 AM   #10
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark^^
Here is a good website for Jeeps: www.ausjeepoffroad.com

The new Wranglers are great and have many good features. I want a Wrangler Unlimited

Before i decided to get a bike after the falcon i was 100% getting a wrangler

Its a jeep thing... you wouldnt understand, once you get into the world of jeeps, you understand what that means, you love em jsut coz they exist who cares about fuel prices!, get onto aus jeep website and ask questions there, some true nethusiest there ;)

I still plan on getting hold of a wrangler and droping a blue oval V8 into the heart ;)
Zed7fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2008, 09:29 AM   #11
formerly
loving the Xr8

My brother has a Jeep, 2003 Wrangler Sport. Never had a problem with it, always jumps out with a huge smile. 84RGE is right, its a Jeep thing. Top down in summer, cruising the beaches. I even jump out of the XR8 and steal the Jeep for a change every now and again.

No matter what car is bought, there is always someone who brings up parts are expensive, hard to work on, service costs are high....how many of them have actually owned one!

Jeeps are a lifestyle choice at the end of the day! A damn good one too!
formerly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2008, 10:24 AM   #12
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

Too right mate, and as for the fact they have no power, pffttt

Plenty of tourqe! i remeber when i first drove my cousins, turned out of the drive way and put my foot down expecting it to be a pig and ened up full lock tyres squeeling, pleasently surprised ;)
Zed7fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2008, 10:51 AM   #13
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Work mate of mine has black TJ 2003 Jeep Wrangler.

As mentioned it is a Jeep thing ... I never thought much about them ... but after being in it several times it's a pretty decent vehicle ... it does everything it is supposed to do off-road ... and does it well.

The roof is a bit loud ... there are a few options though ... and his solid roof is weathersealed ... no issues with leaking ... even his cabin soft top (bikini top as it is called) is pretty good in the wet weather as well ... the buffeting on the M2 is a bit annoying though (long trip are out with this top on).

They are tough with mods as well (I think they look a lot better with bigger rubber and lift on them).

The engine is strong for what it is ... and pulls along well ... it does use a bit of fuel ... but if you own one you need to realise it won't return good economy figures.

Parts can be pricey ... and radiators need to be upgraded to better items if possible (especially if off-road a lot)

Here's a page with images of his Wrangler:
http://www.aussiejeepimages.com/inde...2_itemId=82082

It's a fun vehicle ... pulling out into traffic from an intersection will get the front left wheel up about 40-50cm off the road on launch (due to lift kit and Rancho's in it) ... it's a sight to see ... LOL
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2008, 11:01 AM   #14
capriv8

My Jeep ownership experience was a bad one, worst problem, the rear core plug started leaking and required engine removal at 80,000 kms not covered by warranty.
capriv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2008, 05:48 PM   #15
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mates got a Wrangler, most of the damage that's happened he has caused, Like all chit American it will have some problems, Kinda like all chit Australian LOL, the problem is finding people who know how to work on em, The Jeep ruining gear is simple as and if left as factory is fairly reliable it's when you start chopping and changing one part without upgrading the other you will have issues.

I thick electrical problems would be the bigger concern, I don't think the wranglers are that complex thou.

My mate has done 2 TPS sensors and a alternator since he had his 3 years, it's also got about $10,000 worth of Mod's on it, He shipped a entire Detroit Locked DANA 40 Front axle over from the states so he could run 35"s without snapping a axle, the thing is a off-road weapon.
Old 13-06-2008, 06:37 PM   #16
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Agreed the Wrangler is a tough piece of kit, might want to hit up www.jeepsunlimited.com or www.jeepforum.com theres heaps of info and other stuff that will be of use.
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2008, 06:42 PM   #17
XPfalcon170

don't buy it. its a jeep. enough said really.
XPfalcon170 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2008, 06:47 PM   #18
xwgasaxe
under new management

I laugh every time I see the sticker on the back
"Its a Jeep thing you wouldn't understand"

Buying a 4wd and never taking it off road you bunch of tool beaters.
Old 14-06-2008, 07:06 PM   #19
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well thanks for all the replies. There were a lot more againsts than fors.
So I passed on the info and talked her out of it. I think she would have been broke in no time with the cost of servicing and fuel, plus transport costs to WA.

Her Mum sent me an email for talking her out of it so I'll pass it on. Simply said, "Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou".
Old 14-06-2008, 11:23 PM   #20
Mark^^
Two-Spirits

The Jeep is a great car, this is what I used to drive in the early to mid 80's

Mark^^ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2008, 01:06 AM   #21
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^ That's a J10 yeah nice.

Mates old man used to have a J20 as the farm knock around truck was fitted with a 350Chev.
Old 15-06-2008, 10:49 AM   #22
Rob
Living the dream

Wranglers are THIRSTY... be warned. I think the 2001 may have even still had the 3sp auto? Only recently (last 4-5 years) have they had a 4sp auto.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2008, 08:40 PM   #23
littlered
Starter Motor

I had a 98 Wrangler softtop.

It was thirsty and noisy.
I broke a few things off road, and had radiator and steering box and welsh plug leaks.
They say jeep stands for Just Empty Every Pocket and my wife hated the amount of money I spent on it.
I sold it when I got a company car and the wife wanted new floorboards in our new house.

So would I buy another one ?

Hell Yes !

Wranglers have something many cars do not have anymore.... It is called character and even though I had problems with it I loved every minute driving it.

Nuff said
littlered is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2008, 09:04 PM   #24
trent
Starter Motor

I had a 2002 Wrangler, 4.5" Lift, 35's ect... for 4 years, never had a problem. I now have a 2007 Wrangler Unlimited. Jeeps are great. You'll find that most negative comments are from those who have never owned one.

Whilst they may have their fair share of problems (like most makes) they are still fantastic vehicles, will take anything you throw at them. But meh, each for their own i suppose.
trent is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post