Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 24-07-2020, 10:15 AM   #4501
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 
Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Where did I say it was ok? Really have no idea how you managed to make that silly assumption from what I said

I just gave reasons why some people would no longer care. I didn't say anything about my own views.
Not that I want to drag this on unnecessarily, but I didn't actually say in my post that I thought you said it was ok.

However, I did think your reply implied it. If I misunderstood that, then apologies.

I just can't fathom as to how any of the reasons you provided would sit ok with someone as a reason to blatantly lie to get around a border closure and risk spreading the virus. That comment is not aimed at you, boss, but those who did lie.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
2 users like this post:
Old 24-07-2020, 10:28 AM   #4502
prydey
Rob

So SA has added 3 new cases to its tally in the last couple of days.

The most recent was a man who worked on the wharf in victoria, returning home.

The other 2 were returning from overseas. One from Mumbai to adelaide, and the other from Pakistan to Melbourne, and then to Adelaide.

The weird thing is with all these cases is they tested negative on arrival. The positive result came on day 12 of their isolation.

Our first case in months a week or so ago, who was also returning from Vic, was similar. Tested positive toward the end of isolation.

Could the virus now have a much longer incubation period?

Shows the importance of a FULL two weeks of isolation, and the importance of a second test at the end of isolation.
Old 24-07-2020, 10:54 AM   #4503
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

It might just show the current test is only good when the virus is at a particular state?
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 24-07-2020, 11:14 AM   #4504
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
It might just show the current test is only good when the virus is at a particular state?
Seems as though we are chasing our tail then with all this testing.
Old 24-07-2020, 11:22 AM   #4505
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
So SA has added 3 new cases to its tally in the last couple of days.

The most recent was a man who worked on the wharf in victoria, returning home.

The other 2 were returning from overseas. One from Mumbai to adelaide, and the other from Pakistan to Melbourne, and then to Adelaide.

The weird thing is with all these cases is they tested negative on arrival. The positive result came on day 12 of their isolation.

Our first case in months a week or so ago, who was also returning from Vic, was similar. Tested positive toward the end of isolation.

Could the virus now have a much longer incubation period?

Shows the importance of a FULL two weeks of isolation, and the importance of a second test at the end of isolation.
How often are they testing the people returning to SA?

I believe it is only twice unless they have symptoms.

I think that shows the system is working and catching infected people before they are let out.

AFL players are being tested every 3 days I believe.
Old 24-07-2020, 11:34 AM   #4506
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Work Horse View Post
How often are they testing the people returning to SA?

I believe it is only twice unless they have symptoms.

I think that shows the system is working and catching infected people before they are let out.

AFL players are being tested every 3 days I believe.
Oh thank god, we cant have our footballers and their careers stifled during this
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 24-07-2020, 11:36 AM   #4507
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

408 new cases for Australia and 5 deaths so CMR rises to 1.000% and active cases rise to 4,513. NSW recorded 19 and the balance were in Victoria except for 1 in SA.

No new case and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 1.415% and active cases drop to 22.

The UK recorded 769 new cases and 53 deaths yesterday so the CMR drops to 15.331%.

Just over 72k new cases in the USA yesterday and 1,230 deaths sees CMR down to 3.565% and active cases at 49.1% with the raw numbers still rising. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points:
Global cases set a new daily high of 280,355;
The USA completes 51M, Russia 26Mand India 15M tests;Asia sets a new high for daily cases with 76,028;South America sets a new high for daily cases with 87,781;

Libya (138), Bosnia and Herzegovina (348), El Salvador (402), Venezuela (443), Algeria (612), Costa Rica (768), Kenya (796), Dominican Republic (1,572), Argentina (6,127), India (45,846) and Brazil (71,967 - amended total from yesterday) all recorded new daily highs, those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Last edited by russellw; 24-07-2020 at 12:47 PM.
Old 24-07-2020, 11:59 AM   #4508
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

We are now reading 1230 deaths in the USA and thinking nothing of it.....yeah just a flu.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 24-07-2020, 12:29 PM   #4509
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

The biggest problem for me is the global figure. We looked a couple of days ago at countries that are still above the 90th percentile for case numbers and 10 of the last 14 days, the number of global new cases has been above the 90th percentile, The only positive I can see in those numbers is that only 1 of the last 14 days has the number of deaths been above that 90th percentile.

Observatio Facta Rotae

This user likes this post:
Old 24-07-2020, 12:32 PM   #4510
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
We are now reading 1230 deaths in the USA and thinking nothing of it.....yeah just a flu.
Daily deaths?
Old 24-07-2020, 12:43 PM   #4511
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
Interesting video regarding C19 and what it does to the body and a very promising treatment for C19.

https://youtu.be/wqDd7ixh184

Raises the question, do people actually die from C19? As it seems C19 interferes with the bodies immune system such that other virus get a hold i.e. influenza.
Like Aids.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
Old 24-07-2020, 12:52 PM   #4512
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR Martin View Post
Like Aids.
I dont think people with what would be considered otherwise healthy immune systems who contract aids can just get over it. And why cant they give covid 19 a cooler name. Like when sars was about they called it bird flu. And wasnt there a swine flu?
Old 24-07-2020, 12:53 PM   #4513
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
I dont think people with what would be considered otherwise healthy immune systems who contract aids can just get over it. And why cant they give covid 19 a cooler name. Like when sars was about they called it bird flu. And wasnt there a swine flu?
Call it the bat flu?
Old 24-07-2020, 01:22 PM   #4514
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Daily deaths?
Unless I am reading it wrong?
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 24-07-2020, 01:22 PM   #4515
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
Call it the bat flu?
Chinese Originated Auto Immune Disease

COAIDS

The more research that is done into this virus the more sketchy things seems. A virus which allows other viruses to kill you (sounds familiar) which now seems can be treated with a simple protein...
4 users like this post:
Old 24-07-2020, 01:57 PM   #4516
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Covidistan stats for today:

300 new cases
249 no connection to current cases
51 connected
6 deaths
1400 Army personal deployed in Victoria.
Old 24-07-2020, 01:57 PM   #4517
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Here's an experiment showing the effectiveness of cloth and surgical face masks.

As featued in this article.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 24-07-2020, 02:19 PM   #4518
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
Interesting video regarding C19 and what it does to the body and a very promising treatment for C19.

https://youtu.be/wqDd7ixh184

Raises the question, do people actually die from C19? As it seems C19 interferes with the bodies immune system such that other virus get a hold i.e. influenza.
Good find, sadly a lot of the promising treatment solutions seem to be getting drowned out for any promise of the golden ticket vaccines down the line, It seems of face value there are multiple cheap anti viral treatments (HCQ and ivermectin) that have now proven if given early post diagnosis can have a significant impact on the patents health trajectory but we don’t seem to be getting educated about this from Mainstream News from what I can see in articles that are posted.

Personally I’d happily take a prescribed anti viral and wear the associated costs if it will potentially stop the spread, there seems to be little to no negative impacts for someone in my age bracket, if anything will help with general cold and flu during these winter months and it’s just another tablet to go with the other supplements doctors have advised to take to boost immunity being Vitamin C, Vitamin D and Zinc.

Last edited by FPV8U; 24-07-2020 at 02:26 PM.
Old 24-07-2020, 02:30 PM   #4519
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo
Daily deaths?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Unless I am reading it wrong?
No, you are reading it right. The USA has been over 1,000 deaths per day for the last few days. That's well below the ~2,500 / day they were getting in mid April but they had mostly dropped to below 1,000 from 2nd June until this week.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Last edited by russellw; 24-07-2020 at 02:38 PM.
Old 24-07-2020, 02:53 PM   #4520
roKWiz
Cabover nut

40 days on Christmas Island would fix everything.

Old 24-07-2020, 03:02 PM   #4521
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Brilliant.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
4 users like this post:
Old 24-07-2020, 03:07 PM   #4522
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

I've updated the graph above to include the trend line because the graphs for the United Kingdom and Australia have a very similar polynomial trend line.

Observatio Facta Rotae

2 users like this post:
Old 24-07-2020, 03:21 PM   #4523
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
No, you are reading it right. The USA has been over 1,000 deaths per day for the last few days. That's well below the ~2,500 / day they were getting in mid April but they had mostly dropped to below 1,000 from 2nd June until this week.

Nah its still mind blowing, imagine if 10 months ago someone posted that 1000 people per day in the US will die and the government and some of its people would largely dismiss it for the most part.

I can see NSW locking down in the next week if the trend continues. We really have no idea with this thing and while testing is good if it lays low for a while your never really going to be able to track it. But you cant just sit on your hands and do nothing either.

We are not the US, our problem is nothing like that but it wont take much for it to get to the point where there is no return. We all need to just do our bit.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
3 users like this post:
Old 24-07-2020, 03:45 PM   #4524
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
I've updated the graph above to include the trend line because the graphs for the United Kingdom and Australia have a very similar polynomial trend line.

Whilst the shape of the trendline is very similar, it is reassuring to see that there is a pretty big difference in the amplitudes between the two. Let's hope that we don't get to the same numbers as other countries.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 24-07-2020, 05:14 PM   #4525
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I've got the Australian flag mask going at the moment with the union jack right over my face, nothing like a bit of nationalism in the office
Old 24-07-2020, 05:54 PM   #4526
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

https://www.news.com.au/national/vic...8e30b5c46970fc

OK, this silly bitch might get fined but whats the deal with people telling the police at checkpoints how this is going to go?
She was let through after refusing to give info and, instead, giving the officer a hard time.

Same for the dumbarse heading over to buy motorbike tyres.
Why are they being allowed to move across borders without conforming?

With things getting out of control, surely this needs to end.
The police are looking foolish.

"Oh, I feel soooo goood" - idiot
Old 24-07-2020, 07:25 PM   #4527
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71V8 View Post
https://www.news.com.au/national/vic...8e30b5c46970fc

OK, this silly bitch might get fined but whats the deal with people telling the police at checkpoints how this is going to go?
She was let through after refusing to give info and, instead, giving the officer a hard time.

Same for the dumbarse heading over to buy motorbike tyres.
Why are they being allowed to move across borders without conforming?

With things getting out of control, surely this needs to end.
The police are looking foolish.

"Oh, I feel soooo goood" - idiot
she's part of this group
https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/he...eb92be203fe0c4

how these people actually get a following is beyond me, although having said that, there are a few people on this forum who also think the virus is a scam
Old 24-07-2020, 07:56 PM   #4528
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Quote:
Nah its still mind blowing, imagine if 10 months ago someone posted that 1000 people per day in the US will die and the government and some of its people would largely dismiss it for the most part.
Strange thing I've noticed with the US situation is the reporting by MSM. I remember when Italy had a mortality rate of between 500-700 per day, and all the hysteria in the news. All TV, radio, paper media were all covering the situation as if Italy was being eliminated from the world population by the virus!

But the US situation is, and has been much, much worse. But the media seems to report very little about it. All of the MSM news (7, 9, 10, ABC, etc) don't spend as much time reporting on the US situation as they did the Italy/Europe situation.

Why?
Old 24-07-2020, 08:00 PM   #4529
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some observations. We have nearly doubled our total case rate since Vic took off. Now 140 deaths where it was 103.

But what really ****s me is the talking heads piping up saying it's not say so bad only 100 odd deaths or so.

More people die in car accidents and from the seasonal flu etc, etc

The difference is a) neither of those overwhelm the health system in any given year and b) it is only (FFS how many times does it have to be said) that low because we have taken measures to mitigate it.

Seriously what is wrong with these people? Yes we could have gone down the path of isolating the vulnerable and just getting on with it but we didn't.
2 users like this post:
Old 24-07-2020, 08:18 PM   #4530
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickford. View Post
Strange thing I've noticed with the US situation is the reporting by MSM. I remember when Italy had a mortality rate of between 500-700 per day, and all the hysteria in the news. All TV, radio, paper media were all covering the situation as if Italy was being eliminated from the world population by the virus!

But the US situation is, and has been much, much worse. But the media seems to report very little about it. All of the MSM news (7, 9, 10, ABC, etc) don't spend as much time reporting on the US situation as they did the Italy/Europe situation.

Why?
my observations are the opposite. There seems to be a focus on US numbers rather than the UK or euro countries.

The UK is over 3 times worse than the US as far as case mortality rate is concerned. Of course this is influenced by the number of positive tests.

The US is a similar size to ALL of europe, by population. Its hardly a fair comparison to compare the US numbers to individual european countries.

Also remember that the case numbers didn't start exploding in the US until after europe were well in to the thick of it which is why Italy and spain etc had a lot of focus a few months ago, and now the US does.
Closed Thread