Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 08-07-2007, 03:11 PM   #1
FS5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default xr6 vct cam into a xr6 hp?

has anyone tried a vct xr6 cam in a hp xr6 or standard au ?
is there any difference between the vct cam in fairmonts/fairlanes compared to the one in the xr6 vct's?
i've been surfing through some threads and these cams seem to make some decent power .from what i've read the vct just advances the cam in the lower rpm range and retards it back to 0* when it hits a certain rpm.is this true?if it isn't could someone explain how they actualy work?

i have been thinking about trying one for a while now and i recently found out i can get one from ford for $220. they would make a real cheap upgrade if they will work with the standard ecu.
do you think it would idle alright with a standard ecu?

thanks,jake

Old 08-07-2007, 03:29 PM   #2
robbo_yobbo
Kick out tha Jams

Its not as simple as that.
If it fits (which I dont know if it will) it wont advance/retard. The head on the VCT is different to the HP, and the ECU will not controll it even if you swapped heads.

The only way to get it to work is to swap heads, and swap ECU's.

Then the other drama will be minor differences in wiring (I think the map sensor is the main one aside from the VCT wires) so youll need to swap the wiring loom.

But then the new wiring loom has different plugs to some sensors so you will need to swap the map sensor and the TPS sender (maybee a couple of other things too - not sure),

but then the new senders wont fit the original hardare so you will need to swap your intake plenum and throttle body too.

so other than the cam your looking at.....
New Map Sensor
New TPS Sender
Engine side Wiring loom
New Intake Plenum
New Trottle Body
New ECU
Paying to get the handshake between the ECU and your current BEM
New Head

After all this the $220 for the cam starts to grow pretty significantly, it might be a cheaper option to find a screwed VCT motor you can scavenge for parts if its an avenue your considering traveling.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:32 PM   #3
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
the cam is not the same as the HP at higher revs here are the cam specs
lift
HP inlet 6.743 exhaust 6.434
VCT inlet 6.717 exhaust 6.434

timing
HP INLET OPENS @ 14 DEG BTDC CLOSES @ 68 DEG ABDC
VCT INLET OPENS @ 12 DEG BTDC CLOSES @ 72 DEG ABDC

HP EXHAUST OPENS @ 56 DEG BBDC CLOSES @ 24 DEG AADC
VCT EXHAUST OPENS @ 58 DEG BBDC CLOSES @ 24 DEG AADC

the difference between the XR6 VCT and the fairmont VCT is in the ECU fit an XR ECU and you will gain 4kw and 3nm hardly earth shatering but there are small gains. an added benifit of the XR ECU is adaptive shift no wiring mods are required to make this change so you get a slight performance boost with the more agressive shift maps available
See above quote. There is a difference but nothing dramatic. The XR6HP can be made to go just as hard. If you are going to shovel over $220 I'd be more inclined to get an aftermarket cam from SureCam or, even better, get something custom done to suit your goals.

Oh, and I'm not giving back my ET top 10 position to you easily :

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2007, 03:58 PM   #4
FS5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
See above quote. There is a difference but nothing dramatic. The XR6HP can be made to go just as hard. If you are going to shovel over $220 I'd be more inclined to get an aftermarket cam from SureCam or, even better, get something custom done to suit your goals.

Oh, and I'm not giving back my ET top 10 position to you easily :
casper,is that how the cams look on paper or is that valve timing including when the vcts doing its thing as well.

you know i'm still hunting for that spot _2:

dose anyone know how the vct ajusts the cam timing, as in dose it advance or retard it or dose it do both ?i havn't been able to find a solid answer to it yet.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:05 PM   #5
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Thats how they look on paper.

The VCT sits at 0 at idle, then advances the cam as soon as it moves off idle to around 3300rpm (something like that anyhow, been a while since I looked at the actual numbers) and then retards back to 0 after that to redline. I cant remember the actual degrees it moves though, I think its about 10 if memory serves (which it usually doesn't).

Now you know I'm not giving that spot back without a fight :

Old 08-07-2007, 05:41 PM   #6
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have an HP engine and just making it breathe better both in and out makes a big difference. mine is a bit of a pig off the mark because i have a crappy convertor (stalls @ 1600) but once it's moving it goes hard. i'm going to put a 2200 rpm stall convertor soon to solve my launch woes. don't want any higher as i still want to tow a bit. mod your HP and you'll be impressed. if you have put the hp in your car to replace the standard engine put an XR ECU in as this is part of the HP package (and it gives you adaptive shift) .
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2007, 05:59 PM   #7
FS5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thanks for the info.
i was thinking of trying one because,when i fitted the hp engine it ran a 14.8 @93mph on the standard au2 ecu + the mods in my sig.if i could pick up a couple more kw's from a vct cam and get the j3 tuned to it ,it would make a nice daily driver.$220 for the cam and i can fit it myself,i woundn't need valve springs either.its just something i've been thinking about.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:23 PM   #8
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FS5
thanks for the info.
i was thinking of trying one because,when i fitted the hp engine it ran a 14.8 @93mph on the standard au2 ecu + the mods in my sig.if i could pick up a couple more kw's from a vct cam and get the j3 tuned to it ,it would make a nice daily driver.$220 for the cam and i can fit it myself,i woundn't need valve springs either.its just something i've been thinking about.
as i said get the XR6 non VCT ECU it is part of the HP package
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2007, 11:06 PM   #9
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FS5
thanks for the info.
Just admit you want a VCT :
Seriously though, I'd say the G&D cam you have now is far, FAR superior to a stock VCT (or HP) cam.

Old 09-07-2007, 11:37 PM   #10
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Jake. You dont know until you try mate. The vct,and hp cams seem pretty similar. I know you have the ported head on your car but I really believe that you need more lift from a bigger cam to get the flow happening.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post