Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 10-01-2007, 08:11 PM   #1
josh_hartman
Banned

Default Pod Filter set up??

ok i have a pod filter and i have it just sitting on the air box with no lid and left the snorkle connected so it gets some cold air. Would i be better off taking the whole box out and the snorkle off? please leave your opinions. any help would be great

josh_hartman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2007, 08:32 PM   #2
HLC
Audi S3

having the pod filter exposed ie. without a box around it is illegal and you can get defected for it.

but its up to you.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:35 PM   #3
damon90
(advertise here)

also if it is out of the box you will probly only get lots of hot air from the motor
damon90 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2007, 08:46 PM   #4
martymonsta
AUII FUTURA

save up your cash and get an ss induction setup with a high flow filter and icrease your pipe diameter from air box to throttle body
martymonsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2007, 09:12 PM   #5
Sleeperau
Highway Taxi

Default Pod

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_hartman
ok i have a pod filter and i have it just sitting on the air box with no lid and left the snorkle connected so it gets some cold air. Would i be better off taking the whole box out and the snorkle off? please leave your opinions. any help would be great
Put the lid back on. I have tried the experiment with & without & unless you have a fully enclosed heatshield (only Simota make them as far as I know) you will have reduced performance. Too much heat! HLC is correct as well, why give the police a chance to defect you. There are stacks of threads on this already. Search the site you will find buckets loads of examples. Good luck with it.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:21 AM   #6
LOWAU

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
having the pod filter exposed ie. without a box around it is illegal and you can get defected for it.

but its up to you.
You can have the filter exposed but it can't be oiled, most good filters are oiled so most will be illegal.

I would leave it in the box and just add some more air entry points to the box, via FS5 mod or just drill a hole in the bottom of the box and run some tubing to the front bumper.
LOWAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2007, 02:17 PM   #7
Baboon_AU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if its out of the box it isn't illegal in WA. my mates dad is a cop and thats what he told us.. and the pod will only suck in hot air when the car is stationary like any other set up.. when the car starts going it only sucks in the cold air coming from the on coming wind. out of the box is what i have now and i think its great. i got a big marine K&N pod from work

1981 XD Fairmont 351 - 351 Cleveland, ARP bolts, flat top pistons, Stage 3 Dynotec cam, ported 2V heads with 4V valves, Roller Rockers, Weiand manifold, Mighty Demon, 1/2" fuel lines with blue Holley fuel pump, Crane hi-6 ignition, B&M megashifter, C4, hi-stall, shift kit, 3.77 Ford 9" LSD.

Thanks to: EvilChief and SJW Performance
Baboon_AU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2007, 05:42 PM   #8
StAndArdAU
Back in a Blue Oval

I disagree, my good mates 200sx had a exposed pod and it was marked as being illegal when his car was analysed and yellow stickered for something else, i thin it was a gauge sticking too far out from the a-pillar??? and so he was told to remove it before his car was roadworthy. he jujst put it back in later anyways. der.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:43 PM   #9
StAndArdAU
Back in a Blue Oval

unless they qwere just on a power trip that day.?
Old 11-01-2007, 11:20 PM   #10
LOWAU

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndArdAU
I disagree, my good mates 200sx had a exposed pod and it was marked as being illegal when his car was analysed and yellow stickered for something else, i thin it was a gauge sticking too far out from the a-pillar??? and so he was told to remove it before his car was roadworthy. he jujst put it back in later anyways. der.
Yes thats right, on turbo and intercooled cars you can only have an intercooler or an exposed pod, so for us NA guys its ok.
Vicroads has a modification guideline book that stated all of this but I can't find it.
LOWAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2007, 01:21 AM   #11
josh_hartman
Banned

Well i took the whole airbox out today and just left the pod and the car was much better to drive. a pod is alot better than a standard CIA
josh_hartman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post