Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 15-02-2023, 08:22 PM   #1
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Should I cancel my holiday to NZ?

Just looking for some input from our Kiwi cousins as to how bad it is at the moment.
Everything is booked to arrive in Auckland March 1st.
Couple of days there, then pick up a booked hire car, hopefully still available.
Going to tour around the north island only, for 2 weeks, all the usual tourist spots doing Air BnB or motels.
But I see roads washed out, bridges gone, terrible flooding etc.
I don't want to come over and be a PITA tourist.
The Mrs is not wanting to , and I have my doubts, especially if infrastructure is closed due to damage at the tourist spots.
Any feedback appreciated.
Cheers,
JD
2 users like this post:
Old 15-02-2023, 08:50 PM   #2
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Re: Should I cancel my holiday to NZ?

What a disappointment.

If your Mrs is anti, it’s off, or at least postponed.

Can you ask local/community groups in your intended areas, when they might like to see tourists again?

Wellington is normal, just had a 6 quake this evening.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 15-02-2023, 09:15 PM   #3
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As an ex pat kiwi I have never seen anything like this disaster. There is a lot of the North Island which is just such a mess. Road washouts. Bridges destroyed.
It will take months even years to fix. So if you went and travelled you may need to make detours put up with lengthy delays due to road works - really messy.
I would delay the visit for a year.
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 15-02-2023, 09:17 PM   #4
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Or rebook and travel the South Island which is more scenic and less travelled.
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2023, 09:27 PM   #5
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

Rebook a cruise 😁

I would say still go they could use the tourist dollars you spend there, you might not see everything you were looking forward to but I'm sure there is plenty that you need to see
prktkljokr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-02-2023, 10:08 PM   #6
Itsme
Experienced Member

If it were me, I'd be cancelling the trip until much later, give them time to sort the mess out and get themselves up and running for everyone's benefit.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2023, 11:40 PM   #7
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Put it this way for my 2bobs worth and I admire the mention of tourism support is needed BUT I work hard for the hard earned and with the Mrs's, I'd want my hol to be the full monty I had planned for.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-02-2023, 06:45 AM   #8
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

am on kiwi soil at present, luckily with kiwi brothers family reunion. North of Auckland has been smashed many roads impassible, same as Coromandal and most of East coast, the roads here are very different to Aus... never straight there are always bends, curves and hills. traps for the unwary. I would say cancel north Island try and get to south.
Fly into Christchurch, head north to Nelson, then cut through to west coast, travel down through Hasst Pass into Southland , Bluff, Dunedin, then to Queenstown fly out from there.
If you could leave it until April or May autumn will be there and colours are fantastic.
Don't plan on more than 400 - 500K's a day travel there is so much to see.
2 weeks would be good time.
Old 16-02-2023, 07:17 AM   #9
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey jaydee tonz nailed it, it's going to be months before some roads are repaired and communities are back to some semblance of normal. Down south is untouched, and having perfect summer weather, if you can change your plans bookings head down there. We have just had power restored after three days, basically we got off lightly were I'm at, just downed lines and trees, 20 minutes from me there are slips flooding and houses underwater, still with road access blocked and homes crushed under slips, a it's going to be a week or more before they get power.
five 7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2023, 11:29 AM   #10
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks all, made the call, it's off.
I was hoping for Tonz to chip in, thanks for that.
If most roads are no good it won't be an enjobable drive with a voice from the passengers seat,
" I told you this would happen".
The first indicator of trouble was the floods, then Air NZ booted us to another carrier, Wamos, then the cyclone, then a little earth tremor.
Next year, hopefully.
Best wishes NZ, hopefully you get a break from disasters for a long time.
5 users like this post:
Old 16-02-2023, 02:25 PM   #11
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Good call jaydee.
Yer can imagine from the passenger seat, mine known as the handbrake would be moaning and groaning how dangerous the conditions are and I'm going too fast.
The "holiday" or the break that was needed would have been a nightmare and I would have been counting the days to get home lol.....
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 16-02-2023, 07:28 PM   #12
Metdevil

If you do decide to make the trip anyway, you can check here for any delays you could expect on the roads: https://www.journeys.nzta.govt.nz

Don't be too discouraged by all of the chaff on the map, this will label any and all roadworks, so your trip could look completely devastated when there's only a few sections of stop/go roadworks or something. Even sidewalk repairs are displayed.

Alternatively, you can check here for only the road closures: https://www.journeys.nzta.govt.nz/tr...=road-closures
Metdevil is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post