Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 26-06-2007, 12:27 AM   #1
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Default Differences between AU2/3 XR6, XR6VCT, XR8

Hi everyone, Im looking at upgrading into an AU2 XR, and I'm wondering what exactly are the differences between the 3 models;

What was standard and what wasn't,
What could be optioned and what couldn't,
People's opinions on Bang For Your Buck (as standard, and also with regards to engine/suspension mods).

The only thing I really know about this series is that XR6 VCT and XR8 got IRS standard, and XR8s had 200kw EL GT Windsor V8s initially, then switched to the 220i hand built V8 out of the T Series (and that the AU2 XR8 Rebel/AU3 XRs got the Rebel/Havoc/Peregrine bodykit)

I'm leaning towards a manual AU2 XR8 200kw (for the IRS, torque and sound of the v8, and the assumption that it was better equipped than the XR6, and also that there were more optional extras available on the '8)

If anyone can elighten me it'd be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Rob.

LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2007, 12:35 AM   #2
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

If your gonna mod it get the 200kw AUII if not go the 220kw AUII/III. The options between the 6 and 8 are the same IIRC. Options that I can think of off the top of my head are;
Leather interior
Premium brakes
sunroof
Premium sound
Momo bits
bodykit
And that's all atm.

The AUII 220kw was not that out of the T series as the T had alloy heads and the XR got iron GT40P's. BFYB winner is the 220kw AUII XR8, its the cheapest now and there really is only so much modding you can do to the 6. Some will say yeah but you can boost the 6 and it'll be quicker but you can boost the 8 too. Suspension mods are all the same.

Hope this helps you.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2007, 12:43 AM   #3
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Thanks for the clarification re:options, this opens up the possibility of an XR6 VCT (Id really like IRS, is it as good as I've been told?)

When you say XR8 220kw is the cheapest now do you mean in relation to the newer XR8s?

Re: bang for your buck, is the fuel consumption on the XR8 acceptable in relation to the fun factor? If it'll put a smile on my face every time I drive it I'll cop it, but if they drink huge amounts with no real return then a VCT may be the go (Manual trans mandatory)
Old 26-06-2007, 12:52 AM   #4
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inline6
Thanks for the clarification re:options, this opens up the possibility of an XR6 VCT (Id really like IRS, is it as good as I've been told?)
IRS is good, very good. Heavy though.

Quote:
When you say XR8 220kw is the cheapest now do you mean in relation to the newer XR8s?
In relation to AU's. That is only my opinion though. You can get a good AUII XR8 220 for about the 17 - 20k mark with low kays and a few options.

Quote:
Re: bang for your buck, is the fuel consumption on the XR8 acceptable in relation to the fun factor? If it'll put a smile on my face every time I drive it I'll cop it, but if they drink huge amounts with no real return then a VCT may be the go (Manual trans mandatory)
Fuel consumption is outweighed by fun factor by a lot. I've never driven a VCT so I can't comment on them in any respect but the XR8 will return figures of about 350-400k around town and 450-500k on the h'way. If the smile outweighs the hip pocket go the 8 I say.
Old 26-06-2007, 01:24 AM   #5
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=106047

theres some bang for your buck right there
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2007, 01:45 AM   #6
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Nice! but crazy @$$ supercharged xr8 sint really what I want. Exhaust, Intake, and a tune would be the most Id do.

Jusging by your avator redxr347, the '8s DO look like alot of fun =)

If anyone has driven both the XR8 and 6VCT and cna compare the two, your opinion would be valued.
Old 26-06-2007, 01:48 AM   #7
philstoj
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That certainly is very good BFYB there DOC.

If thats too much for you, definatly go for a 220KW XR8, be it series 2 or 3, the others dont even compare.

Theres a few 02 series 3 XR8 sedans going around at the moment, should be able to pickup something with low kms and good options for under 19K.

Very good cars, you will definatly be happy with a manual 220 sedan, they handle very well, and go even better, and they are pretty good on juice as long as you dont give it too much of a thrashing,lol.
philstoj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2007, 01:49 AM   #8
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Nice! but crazy @$$ supercharged xr8 sint really what I want. Exhaust, Intake, and a tune would be the most Id do.

Jusging by your avator redxr347, the '8s DO look like alot of fun =)

If anyone has driven both the XR8 and 6VCT and cna compare the two, your opinion would be valued.
sell the supercharger get a few bucks back , but thats a good cheap car without it, as for driving them i had the exact same 8 as in the link ( not that exact car ) and yes a darn good car, never driven the six.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2007, 01:50 AM   #9
philstoj
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
LOL, NO COMPARISON!!
Old 26-06-2007, 02:08 AM   #10
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by philstoj
LOL, NO COMPARISON!!
Surprisingly, there is a lot of comparison. OK, the eight has outright pace, but the XR6 VCT is still a very nice car to drive, with heaps of poke - just not as "on tap" or extreme as the 8. Yes, I have had both (Au1s, admittedly), but have also driven a mild AU2 XR8 with around 170rwkw. Of course, the modded XR8 kills any of the 6s, but the 6s are still nice to drive, with very similar handling to the eights, if not a bit more nimble through the twistys (again, the power of the 8 outweighs any benefit in nimbleness by the 6).

Also, at the pump, the difference is not as much as you think. The VCT is thirsty, so expect around 14 to 15 litres per 100km around town, and 10 or better on the highway. The XR8s are around the 16 - 17 mark around town, and around 10 on the highway also, so not a lot in it.

XR6 VCTs (all series) will run well on ULP, whereas the AU2/3 V8s need PULP at least - the extra power they got over the 185kw AU1 XR8s was partially from specifying a higher octane fuel, and they don't have knock sensors like the 6s do, so you must run on PULP, or get an edit to force it to run on ULP.

Lastly, at least one person I know (Hi Bucky) who bought their XR6 VCT because it had leather and sunroof etc, still wishes they had've got the XR8. The sound and performance of an 8 beats cow hides and water leaking through the roof any day, and it's a lot cheaper to get aftermarket leather and hole, than it is to transplant an 8 into a 6 (need gearbox and tailshaft as well).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2007, 10:43 AM   #11
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Good post JC....
For whats available in the market right now a 220XR8S2-3 is the smart move.
VCT's HP's are great but when you see a XR8 next to you or parked or at a show you'll kick yourself not getting one when you HAD the opportunity.
Good luck with your purchase look forward to seeing what you end up getting.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2007, 10:46 AM   #12
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Thanks for all the replies guys.

JC- I never imagined the VCT would be so thirsty. Whichever car I get will do freeway commuting about twice a week, and the rest of the time will be fun time (when hip pocket hits are irrelevant next to fun factor) I'm leaning towards the 8 because I want a car that feels performance oriented, adn feels special/different every time I jump in. I've had 3 6cyl auto Falcon/Fairmonts already and I want to go for a seachange.

Its looking more and more like I'll be on the hunt for a leather bound xr8 220. The best part is the boss has already approved! (as long as its red or black, i like the silver- theres always something to argue about lol)
Old 26-06-2007, 11:16 AM   #13
philstoj
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Having recently purchased a S3 XR8 for the missus, i can tell you now that its the only way to go, but you will find any AU a huge upgrade from the E series.

I have driven the various XR6's, and own a 200 KW ute, and also driven a few 220 manual sedans, and for the very little difference in fuel economy, the XR8 wins all the way.

With the 220, edit, exhaust and CAI, and you have potential 13 sec 1/4 times with very minimal spend, so BFYB it is no comparison, and for the extra couple of grand over the XR6, its no comparison.

Like has been said above, you will kick yourself if you buy a 6, and then take an 8 for a spin, but test drive both and see what you think.
Old 26-06-2007, 11:20 AM   #14
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Get the 220 XR8.. this shouldnt even be a question.. its just the best choice.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2007, 11:31 AM   #15
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Yeah 220 has always seemed the best choice, but i thought itd be best to ask you AU boys, I'm alot better informed now thanks to you guys.

I'll try to test drive both the 6 and the 8, but odds are if i hop into the xr8 first I wont want to get out! =)
Old 26-06-2007, 12:55 PM   #16
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Yeah as has been said 220 S2/3 XR8 would be the go but try and find one with afew options ie leather/premo sound wouuld be the easiest to find, would you consider a T1/T2 they are around the price of a good S2/3 XR8 with plenty more options standard. Good luck searching for what you want and keep us informed. We are slowly gettin the e- series boys into a good car :
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2007, 01:04 PM   #17
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by TE50 056
Yeah as has been said 220 S2/3 XR8 would be the go but try and find one with afew options ie leather/premo sound wouuld be the easiest to find, would you consider a T1/T2 they are around the price of a good S2/3 XR8 with plenty more options standard. Good luck searching for what you want and keep us informed. We are slowly gettin the e- series boys into a good car :
Yeah as one FF user has said in his signature, its only taken me 8 years to develop good taste =) Options are defintely the go, ideally Id like leather/sunroof/premo sound (its not as good as aftermarket, but more than enough for me) I definitely would consider a T1/2 TE/S50 but ive found theyre generally going for about 25,000 and that pushes me into XR6T territory. My budget would be 10k-18k max and while i dont mind the triangular AU lights i prefer the quad xr ones, and would prefer a manual. Plus the Mrs prefers the aggressive xr styling over the more sedate t-series styling.
Old 26-06-2007, 01:39 PM   #18
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Yeah as one FF user has said in his signature, its only taken me 8 years to develop good taste =) Options are defintely the go, ideally Id like leather/sunroof/premo sound (its not as good as aftermarket, but more than enough for me) I definitely would consider a T1/2 TE/S50 but ive found theyre generally going for about 25,000 and that pushes me into XR6T territory. My budget would be 10k-18k max and while i dont mind the triangular AU lights i prefer the quad xr ones, and would prefer a manual. Plus the Mrs prefers the aggressive xr styling over the more sedate t-series styling.
: @ 8 years. Yeah most people say that. T1/2 cars are very understated in the looks dept, i love the look of AUII/III XR's but i wanted something abit better and a tad rare thats why i bought my TE. Dont get me wrong i was looking at XR's to but i already had and AUII XR6 HP manual and i wanted a V8 and i happened to stumble across my TE for a reasonable price so i : her up. IMHO if you want a V8 get it otherwise you might regret it, thats how i looked at it anyway. 18k will get you a vgc AUII/III XR8
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2007, 02:27 PM   #19
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

The mrs doesnt want a T-Series, too understated unfortuantely (were both involved in the decision making process). I wouldve liked one for the Ghia high series dash (one of the sexiest ford dashes ever)

She's mega keen on an XR8 though. I'll just have to 'settle' for a fully optioned AU2/3 XR8 *sigh* =)
Old 26-06-2007, 02:31 PM   #20
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
The mrs doesnt want a T-Series, too understated unfortuantely (were both involved in the decision making process). I wouldve liked one for the Ghia high series dash (one of the sexiest ford dashes ever)

She's mega keen on an XR8 though. I'll just have to 'settle' for a fully optioned AU2/3 XR8 *sigh* =)
Poor you Red is a good colour too, your mrs has good taste.
Old 26-06-2007, 05:13 PM   #21
markxr6t

You'll love an XR8 220. I got an AUII XR8 220 for $14k as an interim car between XR6 Turbos (had a BAXR6T - getting a BF next). I'm surprised how much I like the AU, and now that I've had the exhaust done, I enjoy driving it nearly as much as my mildly modded @8psi XR6T.

I love its sound, I love the instant torque off idle, the steering has more feel than a BA and the IRS was the precursor to the BA's anyway. As a result you get a reasonably sophisticated IRS as good as a BAs, with better steering and an all round more involving muscle car driving experience. Its not as quick as my XR6T was, but its more than adequate and the sound makes you feel like you're going faster anyway. Not that I do it often, but I have found the AU 220 to be a fantastic handler and easier to control in an oversteer slide than my BA was.

Buy a good manual 220kw XR8, upgrade the exhaust and I assure you that you'll be very sad to see it go when its time to upgrade. (Much more so than an XR6 VCT).

Good luck hunting for one!

Mark
markxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2007, 05:19 PM   #22
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Hey Mark was that 14k a private sale, or dealer? For me, 14k would mean plenty left for mods. =)

Ive never felt as comfortable driving my brother in laws BA as I did driving my mates AU2, good communication from the steering; softer, grippier suspension. The AUs still have a little bit of E-Series in the way they drive (but gotten rid of all the bad stuff) whereas the BAs steering is a touch wooden (not as bad as a Commodore) I did like the IRS though, which why Im after it in the AU.
Old 26-06-2007, 05:51 PM   #23
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by markxr6t
Buy a good manual 220kw XR8, upgrade the exhaust and I assure you that you'll be very sad to see it go when its time to upgrade. (Much more so than an XR6 VCT).

Thats exactly what I did, and I have not regretted it at all. Not one bit. Smartest thing I ever did. Last tank of petrol I got around 550km worth of town driving and have seen up to 750 on the highway alone.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2007, 06:26 PM   #24
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:

Though a even lower TSeries with a set of nicer wheels certainly doesn't look understated plus you get all the mod cons inside.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2007, 06:34 PM   #25
markxr6t

Quote:
Hey Mark was that 14k a private sale, or dealer? For me, 14k would mean plenty left for mods. =)
$13800 private sale in Perth, 124 000ks, August 01, 220kw, auto and white (unfortunately), but not ex police. Full service history, needed 2 new tyres and a battery, had a scratched wheel, otherwise perfect. No options but has plenty of standard kit and came with quality tint and Ford Towpack. Originally priced at $15500 (with finance to pay out - which may have scared other buyers away) so eventually negotiated the purchase price.

Paid $440 for a custom single 2.5 inch cat back exhaust (twin would have cost heaps more and 3 inch singles are just too big and unnecessary) with Lukey Sports straight through muffler plus resonator which sounds great without being droney or cop bait and has noticeably improved performance.
:

Here's a picture:

Last edited by markxr6t; 21-03-2012 at 01:26 AM.
markxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2007, 09:27 PM   #26
b2tf
not here much anymore

Ive driven pretty much every model of AU XR and own an AU3 XR8 ute myself.

Honestly if you can afford it, the pick of the bunch is the 220 XR8 sedan, and that is not just me being V8 biased. The VCT's are a great bit of kit and even the base model HP is a nice ride, but for sheer value for money and smile on your dial every time you drive it, the XR8 is the go. Don't be scared of economy, the Windsor uses less fuel than a BA 6 cylinder - I can get 700kms from a tank in mine, now yes that means I have to calm the driving down a bit but even with a bit of a squirt every now and then it's still by no means bad. Get it edit tuned and a good exhaust system and you will get better power, sound and economy too, so factor that into your budget if you can.

Provided they have been maintained and looked after, Windsors will go for ages too, so if you find one with higher kms (i.e. 150,000 etc), find out as much as you can about it, and if it's ok, dont let the kms stop you. If anything use them as a bargaining point!

Re the T Series, they are a brilliant car, but they do have a few "bad" points over your average XR. First is insurance, it WILL be higher than an XR even if you leave it stock, second is parts - a lot of T Series parts, especially trim and interior parts, are damned expensive and NLA from Ford, so if you have to replace anything, you may strike trouble finding bits. It really comes down to your situation, but when I bought my ute I could have gotten into a T series, and these were the 2 things that stopped me. As it is I have just as much go in the ute as a T2 anyway, and the interior is almost TE spec in that everything's leather etc, so it's no big deal for me.

As always, drive whatever you can before deciding.

edit: for reference, 220 XR8's started production in April 2001. If you are unsure, look for the 220 badge on the back (can be faked but usually a good start if you see it), and if it is a 220, pop the hood and look at the throttle body. It should have Tickford wings engraved into it (I have a pic on my aufalcon page if need be). If it doesnt have this, it's not a 220.

To be 110% sure, get the VIN and ring 13 FORD and ask for the vehicle history, it's free and will tell you for sure what the car has/should have in it.
Old 27-06-2007, 01:21 AM   #27
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Thanks b2tf.

I have a mate who does lots of performance stuff through his work, and has told me repeatedly not to worry about fuel consumption, and that once he chucks a proper exhaust, cai, and does the edit it will be more economical and haul a$$.

Re: windsors, they seem to be tuff as nails if I can find one thats been well maintianed I have no doubt itll go for ages.

Irrespective of how great the T-Series are, the Mrs wants the sportier/aggressive look of the xr (Id be happy in either)

Thanks again for the advice b2tf, Ill make sure I put it to good use. Nice ute btw goddamn silhouette is HAWT!
Old 04-07-2007, 11:50 PM   #28
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

excellent thread this, i was thinking about xr6 over xr8. also i was thinking of a BAxr6 because you can get them for around the same price as an XR8 ute. But with the BA comes first of the series, more for insurance etc etc etc. this thread has made me realise an AU xr8 ute is what i want so no need to go look for anything else.
fordomatic is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2007, 11:56 PM   #29
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

I briefly considered a BA XR6, but:

I want something that feels more special;
I don't want to stretch the budget for an XR6T;
I want something that looks unique (there are so many B-series xr's on the road);
And AU's represent fantastic value for money!

Good luck with your purchase, hopefully I'll be joining the XR8 ranks sooner rather later as well (the pieces of the puzzle are falling into place)
Old 05-07-2007, 05:17 PM   #30
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic
an AU xr8 ute is what i want so no need to go look for anything else.
smart man :hihi: