Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-05-2009, 01:23 PM   #1
1970galaxie
Fat 460

Default Summernats for sale.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegrap...013110,00.html

Summernats owner Chic Henry confirms event for sale

IT'S a mecca for beer-drinking, rubber-burning revheads and their eager-to-get-topless girlfriends - and it's officially on the market.

Summernats owner Chic Henry has confirmed he is calling it a day after this year's event drew significantly fewer spectators than expected.

Business consultant Vic Dawson revealed Mr Henry was in negotiations with a possible buyer.

The deal is obviously not sealed, however, as an advertisement pitching the business appeared in newspapers at the weekend.

Mr Dawson said the aim was to ensure the Summernats continued and remained in Canberra.

Mr Henry revealed on the Summernats website that one company "has first dibs" on ownership and that he hoped to stay on as a promoter.

With their combination of burn-outs, pimped-up cars and women exposing their breasts, the Summernats have always drawn mixed reactions.

Canberra residents have a love-hate relationship with the event, which pumps $3 million into the territory's economy every year.

Last year, about 400 drunken spectators screaming "Tits or rubber!" overwhelmed security and intimidated women at the event after the parade was halted temporarily.

Last year, Mr Henry had been lobbying the ACT Government for assistance for the four-day event, but dropped the claim when a treasury document was revealed showing he was paid more than $200,000 for running the event.

2003 BA XR8 Ute. Blood Orange. 5.4/5 speed.
2006 Territory Turbo. Silhouette. 4.0/6 speed auto.
1970galaxie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2009, 01:43 PM   #2
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hopefully the new owner will bring up the standards
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2009, 01:43 PM   #3
platinumXR
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter.

Unfortunately, I have to say; I would not be surprised as it has been a while coming. Shame - I have been going on and off since 1988 but I have lost interest in the last 5 years or so as it has become just a bit too bogan and way off direction.

I've even stopped buying the magazine of the sponsor as it is too full of trailered sculptures, motorbikes, drag cars and advertisements and no real nuts and bolts real street stuff like it used to way back in the olden days. But times change I suppose...I do miss Plankman though...

Besides: I get to see the cars I like in SF or PFM.

Toys:
2017.5 LZ Focus RS, Magnetic Grey my new pocket rocket
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1993 EB2 S-XR8 Sedan, Platinum, manual (now sold)
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(SOLD)
platinumXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2009, 02:30 PM   #4
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why would anyone buy a name... a tarnished name at that.

Old 20-05-2009, 02:39 PM   #5
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Probably a good time to revert to the good 'ol days when summernats was in its infancy!
Old 20-05-2009, 02:41 PM   #6
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZENU
Probably a good time to revert to the good 'ol days when summernats was in its infancy!
Yeah.. ban "doof doof", ban "rice" and ban booze..... you might end up with a decent moronless proper musclecar event.

Old 20-05-2009, 02:49 PM   #7
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Yeah.. ban "doof doof", ban "rice" and ban booze..... you might end up with a decent moronless proper musclecar event.

touche.... Only time will tell
Old 20-05-2009, 02:50 PM   #8
platinumXR

I remember cruising Northbourne in the Ol' XD...moon roof open, windows down, mates in the back...351 rumbling along through 'Chevy dumpers'...the good old days... :

Toys:
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(SOLD)
Old 20-05-2009, 03:20 PM   #9
Scott

Quote:
Why would anyone buy a name... a tarnished name at that.
The name is valuable but perhaps just as much is the leg work, agreements and processes in place that would make it an attractive proposition for someone looking to brand an event.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2009, 03:25 PM   #10
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Id rather start a new event with its own name and promotion for free than buy a name with a poor track record and image....

Old 20-05-2009, 03:33 PM   #11
BROCKYB8
YEAH IT IS A FORD

I think that maybe on the cards for chic. There was a few people after him to set up other events through australia .
When talking to him earlier this year he sort of hinted that way

CVE

www.cveperformance.com

EF PS1WGN - 2013 AFF PROJECT CAR OF YEAR
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11390858

STILL THE QUICKEST AFTER 4 years NA6 e series
EA BROCK 225rwkw - 12.85
BROCKYB8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2009, 04:37 PM   #12
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by platinumXR
Unfortunately, I have to say; I would not be surprised as it has been a while coming. Shame - I have been going on and off since 1988 but I have lost interest in the last 5 years or so as it has become just a bit too bogan and way off direction.
Yup, exactly the reason I stopped going. Earlier years it was mainly about the cars with a fringe bogan element. Most recently it's all about the bogans with a fringe car element. :
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2009, 05:12 PM   #13
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Take it back to Narrandra!!
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2009, 05:30 PM   #14
JD86
DELANY

Quote:
i agree with the above
Old 20-05-2009, 05:43 PM   #15
MR.BA.GT.332
Now in the quad cam zone

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all his work in the project section. Awesome effort. 

if events like powercruise etc can have booze free events and everyone has a good time, then why not ban the booze at the Nats.... Theres 90% of the D*@Khead factor taken care of

leaves the rest of us who actually go for the cars to have a good time. i hope it stays in canberra, i hope it can continue cause i did enjoy going, but it seriously needs a few changes not only to booze, but the event schedule... it barely changed the 8yrs i went!

Wish i went when cruising was on northborne ave...... thats ol school to cool 4 school fun!

"BARNEY" 2003 BA GT #332, Phantom, Boss 290, FR20 Simmons. XYZ Brakes - 355mm Rotors - 8piston Front Calipers & 4piston Rear More Mods soon!!
MR.BA.GT.332 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2009, 05:55 PM   #16
gossy
CLEVO POWERED

Quote:
Id rather start a new event with its own name and promotion for free than buy a name with a poor track record and image....

I agree. Time to start again. It's sad, Australia's Premier Car Show has succumbed to this, all thanks to bogans who can't handle alcohol, want to fight, intimidate women, children and dogs ( believe me ), and drive around in riced up s__tboxes to impress their mates.

Start again and have Rules and Guidelines very strictly enforced to eliminate this sort of immature behaviour, and could be a great event again.
gossy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2009, 05:57 PM   #17
platinumXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_460bigblock
if events like powercruise etc can have booze free events and everyone has a good time, then why not ban the booze at the Nats.... Theres 90% of the D*@Khead factor taken care of

leaves the rest of us who actually go for the cars to have a good time. i hope it stays in canberra, i hope it can continue cause i did enjoy going, but it seriously needs a few changes not only to booze, but the event schedule... it barely changed the 8yrs i went!

Wish i went when cruising was on northborne ave...... thats ol school to cool 4 school fun!

Yeah, I think 'they' might have to [ban grog] to save it from extinction. I have no problem with the events as such - the repetition as an 'institutional event' can, in a way be a good thing. Perhaps a bit of a general re-think and format change may be in order. As mentioned - not exactly a comfortable event for the missus and chillun' as of late.

The Northbourne cruises were brilliant...until the riots. I'll never forget walking down the medium strip toward the Shell servo and being yanked out of the way by my mate just in time from being run over by a Coaster bus full of Fed's heading to the problem area. :

Toys:
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
Old 20-05-2009, 06:01 PM   #18
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_460bigblock
It was brilliant. The roads were lined with Mums/Dads/Kids all on deck chairs or pulling up a piece of kerb and there was a real carnival atmosphere. Cars would often bank up traffic and give a little squirt and chest puppies were off the leash to soak up the evening sunshine.

It all made for a brilliant spectacle & a great night - it seemed that it all changed in one year. It went from light & happy to seriously drunk young blokes stopping cars on Northbourne and making everyone from entrants to the elderly do burnouts and jumping on the cars if they didn't. That same year saw the introduction of brake fluid and/or urine in super soakers and the event never recovered.

Seeing a mob of clowns force an 80 year old man [in a Fairlane with his very senior wife and another elderly woman in the backseat] to do a burnout by surrounding the car and jumping on the boot was enough for me. I simply didn't go back for about 5 years and even then I hated it.

The Nats was brilliant and even with occasional drunkeness and nudity, it was still a family event - one that fits in with what Aussie car culture used to be about. Then the doof-doofs arrived.
Old 20-05-2009, 06:35 PM   #19
RIPGMH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Irrespective of what some may think Summernats is and always has be aimed at males between 15-50, no reason it can't also be family and female friendly but lets not softcock it down to a school fete.
RIPGMH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2009, 06:48 PM   #20
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Was reported a month or two ago in the local paper; apparently there were 2 buyers interested. 1 local the other interstate. The interstate potential buyer was interested in taking the event outside the ACT; from memory, Eastern Creek was suggested. Sounds like both fell through...
rag top is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2009, 07:09 PM   #21
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPGMH
Irrespective of what some may think Summernats is and always has be aimed at males between 15-50, no reason it can't also be family and female friendly but lets not softcock it down to a school fete.
Unfortunately this is the attitude which has led the Summernats to become the debacle that it is

Some people cant be given any scope to cross the boundaries. The bogan element tarnishes the modified car movement with the same brush.

Fighting, the whole show us your t*ts nonsense, etc really is not the way forward
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2009, 07:12 PM   #22
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It should be aimed at anyone AND EVERYONE interested in modified/musclecars.. not just MEN and brain dead drunken morons.....
Maybe if it was toned down "school fete" style it might attract a broader audience of people (AND CARS) interested in modified vehicles but wont attend due to the DH factor.
It should be about the CARS... not the perephial bad taste entertainment....

Last edited by 4Vman; 20-05-2009 at 07:23 PM.
4Vman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2009, 07:19 PM   #23
GEZZA93

i went to the summernats last year with my brother to go and check it out to have some fun.long drive 6 hours but we got there to have a great time

when the show started and the event was open to the public it went down hill it started with the language then the grog then we know it people are driving around drunk and drinking while driving people chassing girls just for a perve even asking young teens to flashem even security was drinking and up next to the dyno shed and toilets doing burnouts with them buggy/quad things swering at people also the fights that happen every were security didnt care at the camping grounds at the toilets just walking to them you would get abused.

been there we wanted to see some good old cars and some nice done up cars to find poeple in ricers driving around with sterios pumping and also people abusing car drivers because they didnt want to do burnouts with there young ones in the back getting mouthed off and stuff hurled at there cars and also when leaving the grounds to go get cheep good food for tea security letting drunk and drinking drivers out on the main roads we followed a nice red xr falcon along the highway and was over taken by drunk p platers abusing the ford fella out the window because he was driving a ford when they were in a rusted up ricer with so called sick cannon out the *** i wonder what the people at the crossing must of been thinking with kids every were

people never think

also coppers pulling up campers as they leave and letting people speed pass them in hotted up ricers not caring

from my experience it was alright but the amount of crap that goes on is just disgracefull
GEZZA93 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2009, 07:34 PM   #24
RIPGMH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It should be aimed at anyone AND EVERYONE interested in modified/musclecars.. not just MEN and brain dead drunken morons.....
Maybe if it was toned down "school fete" style it might attract a broader audience of people (AND CARS) interested in modified vehicles but wont attend due to the DH factor.
It should be about the CARS... not the perephial bad taste entertainment....
Snap-On tools, XXXX & Trojan Condoms, just three examples of male orientated brands that I'm sure have many female customers. They welcome their custom but don't change their image to get it. We shouldn't change everything to suit a few, at the same time no one should feel alienated or abused whilst attending Summernats. Make a family day and tone down on the tools but don't destroy the atmosphere.
Old 20-05-2009, 08:04 PM   #25
GT-E

I saw Indy go the same way.
It was good until the V8 Supercar yobbos arrived and never left.
It went from schoolies for adults to a crappy dangerous alcohol fuelled event for ****ed idiots.
Old 20-05-2009, 08:26 PM   #26
platinumXR

Quote:
Snap-On tools, XXXX & Trojan Condoms, just three examples of male orientated brands that I'm sure have many female customers. They welcome their custom but don't change their image to get it. We shouldn't change everything to suit a few, at the same time no one should feel alienated or abused whilst attending Summernats. Make a family day and tone down on the tools but don't destroy the atmosphere.
Not saying it needs to be a church picnic either, and yes I agree with you that sponsors and tradies provide vital support but in all the decades I have either been following the event or attending; the atmosphere has turned sour and has done so some years back. The "few" you speak of are the majority that won't attend because of this. There's more than a "few" that have felt alienated, intimidated and abused. Imagine if all the men and women who used to go in the mid-late 80's and early 90's for the carnival like, family, laconic, mature and avgas wafted atmosphere brought their kids and all their mates back nowadays? I know none of [all that I know] them will now, and they all still have a passion for modified cars and having a good time / a few drinks, but the difference is that they would do it without the aggro.

Take a look at the popularity of other 'recent' events none the least of which is the 'Muscle Car Masters' (sorry if I encroach on any politics here) which has gone absolutely gangbusters since it's inception. Heaps of muscle cars, RACING (well, sort of), sponsors, tradies and plenty of families. I think I'd rather go to that or Nostalgia meets or an AFD any day than the Summernats at the moment.

Maybe we should have one called "Drunken Fully Sick-bro Show Us Ya T!ts Yobbo Nats" and ship it out in the desert or up FNQ somewhere so we can get the Summernats back and keep it going for another 22 years or so...that's what I am saying [*dons flame suit] :

Toys:
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
Old 20-05-2009, 08:32 PM   #27
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would have loved to go to a Summernats event, but too many bad reports have scared some chicks like me off!
Melz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2009, 08:41 PM   #28
RIPGMH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by platinumXR
Not saying it needs to be a church picnic either, and yes I agree with you that sponsors and tradies provide vital support but in all the decades I have either been following the event or attending; the atmosphere has turned sour and has done so some years back. The "few" you speak of are the majority that won't attend because of this. There's more than a "few" that have felt alienated, intimidated and abused. Imagine if all the men and women who used to go in the mid-late 80's and early 90's for the carnival like, family, laconic, mature and avgas wafted atmosphere brought their kids and all their mates back nowadays? I know none of [all that I know] them will now, and they all still have a passion for modified cars and having a good time / a few drinks, but the difference is that they would do it without the aggro.

Take a look at the popularity of other 'recent' events none the least of which is the 'Muscle Car Masters' (sorry if I encroach on any politics here) which has gone absolutely gangbusters since it's inception. Heaps of muscle cars, RACING (well, sort of), sponsors, tradies and plenty of families. I think I'd rather go to that or Nostalgia meets or an AFD any day than the Summernats at the moment.

Maybe we should have one called "Drunken Fully Sick-bro Show Us Ya T!ts Yobbo Nats" and ship it out in the desert or up FNQ somewhere so we can get the Summernats back and keep it going for another 22 years or so...that's what I am saying [*dons flame suit] :
FNQ?? Ask 90% of the drunken, riced idiots where their from an it starts with a V or an N not a Q.
Old 20-05-2009, 08:50 PM   #29
platinumXR

Quote:
FNQ?? Ask 90% of the drunken, riced idiots where their from an it starts with a V or an N not a Q.
Realized after I clicked Submit that would cause a stir. Was just using locations as analogy...ship it away from Summernats is all I meant.

Toys:
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
Old 20-05-2009, 08:55 PM   #30
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melz
I would have loved to go to a Summernats event, but too many bad reports have scared some chicks like me off!
Smart move, it is not a place for ladies, well, not after dark anyway. Think "Thunderdome" and you're on the right track. My mate and I made the mistake of taking our girlfriends [now wives] on year and were genuinely worrried about how we were going to get them out of the place safely. For the record, my mate is a big lad...... and a cop.

It is simply not a "nice" place from lunch and progressively descends into chaos from there.