Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 31-08-2013, 05:59 PM   #1
ConST

Default Fiesta ST - An Owners Review

Well, 5 hours and 200 kms later, I feel as though I can give an accurate review and summary of this little thing. I'll try to cover off everything, as I spent time going through everything today. This review will get a bit on the techy side too, and since I never think anything is perfect, it will be nit picky!

Rather than forcing people to read this whole thing before you get to the overall verdict, let me start by saying this little car is an epic drive. Having owned and driven V8s, V6s, naturally aspirated and turbo'd cars, I can say that for $30k, there is no better car out there when it comes to balance. My closest comparison would be the current MK3 Clio RS, but that costs about $7k more, and doesn't have a turbo. That doesn't mean it's a bad car. I love NA engines. But the modding potential is extremely limited.

I'll create a section for each component below, and try to explicitly list out the pros and cons within each. That said, let's get started.

Exterior:

Pros:
I'm not going to go into crazy detail on this part as looks are so subjective. Build quality is top notch though. Gaps between panels is minimal. The STs are manufactured in Germany, not in Asia. The colour coded bumper below the rear diffuser really sets the back of the car off.

Overall, it's a fantastic looking car, and black wheels set it off even more. Don't go copying me now!!

Cons:
The rear wheel arch is a bit high. It could be lower personally. That's nothing a set of coils or springs couldn't fix though (more on that later). The high wheel arch makes it look as though the wheels themselves are too small for the car. Dropping it will for sure fix that up.

My car came stock with Bridgestone Potenzas. To me, not the best tyre, but they're decent.

There's also no factory tint. At all. On any window.

Interior:

Pros:
Picture a Focus ST minus a few items. If you think the Focus ST has a nice interior, you won't be too disappointed with the Fiesta. Again, since it's made in Germany, it benefits from a soft touch dash. That's where the soft touch materials stop though. The steering wheel feels nice. Everything is within reach. Soft roof liner, lots of cup holders, blah blah blah. I didn't buy this car for it's interior haha.

The stock sound from Sony is pretty damn good. I can't complain. That said, I'm too old to be concerned about blasting Katy Perry or whatever the kids listen to these days. Like others though, I can't seem to find the 7th and 8th speakers. I'm thinking one set of the speakers has both a tweeter and a driver, resulting in two speakers.

Sync seems to work OK. Took me a bit of fiddling to get my phone to work (HTC One). It kept dropping connection. Eventually, after unpairing and re-pairing a few times, in connected.

The keyless entry system is cool. Unlike the Focus ST where you just slide your finger over the door handle sensor, it's a physical button on the Fiesta. Push it and it locks/unlocks the doors. I'm not listing this in the cons section, but I'm of the type who likes turning an actual key to start the engine. I found myself still trying to do so when driving today. Particularly when turning the car off!! I'm sure I'll get used to it.

And Ford, thank you for 20km increments on the speedo! Why the Focus ST has 30km increments, I don't know.

Cons:
Personally, I think the general ergonomics and layout of the dash aren't all that sharp. The number of buttons on the stereo is confusing to say the least. Why we don't get the larger 8" unit the USA gets I don't know. That unit was developed by Microsoft with Ford USA though, and might have been sold/licensed only for their region.

Anyone who owns an HTC phone, you should know that you will not receive any track information when streaming music via BT. Nor will the steering wheel controls work to skip tracks. You can thank HTC for that one though. They haven't implemented the full A2DP protocol. Meta information is not transmitted. Nor does the unit receive input from the Sony BT unit. Sucks, but what can you do. Switch phones!

In addition to the phone, it might just be me, but I am not sure if I can use the steering wheel controls to search through my phone contacts, dialled numbers, etc. As far as I can tell that's only controllable through the actual head unit knob. A bit odd.

Seats:

Pros:
This one should be a short section. Super supportive Recaros. Plain cloth. Adjustable for height as well. Overall great seats. I could care less about the back seats as they will never be used

Cons:
If you're of the plus size/Maccers generation like I am, you will find the seats rather...snug. Both the side bolsters and the leg bolsters. The leg bolsters more so though. The solution is to lose weight. I've been working on that. For the last 15 years. I'll get their one day. I still think it's baby fat I haven't lost yet.

Engine:

Pros:
OK , here we go. This engine is a cracker! You've all read reviews about the power output, and the overboost, so I won't go into that. What I will say is pick a gear, keep your RPMs above 1500, and feel the torque everywhere. I would say it does peak up at around 5500 though. With a redline of only 6000, that's fine for me. Just switch before and your powerband will never end. Gear ratios are quite well spread apart too, although you can't really hit 100 in 2nd. Would have been nice if they were a bit closer, but eh...not that big an issue. In gear though, this thing pulls extremely well.

A simple ECU tune (and I will be doing so) will see this engine put out even more, and it's fully capable of handling it. So is the rest of the chassis.

The Sound Symposer does a good job of transmitting the engine sound into the cabin. That said, I'm not sure if that sound is amped up a bit more than it should be.

Cons:
For what it's meant to be and do, I have no issues with this engine. It truly is fantastic. That said, don't expect it to completely pin you to your seat when you floor it. And perhaps the off the line acceleration could be a bit more present, but then you have to deal with wheel spin, torque steer, etc.

I would like to see a bit more growl from the exhaust. Especially since the Sound Symposer drowns out any noise it makes. Nothing that can't be fixed with a drill though

Gearbox:

Pros:
OK. Be prepared here. This section will probably have the most negatives to it, but they are more to do with my affinity for the perfect gearshift. It's extremely important to me in a car like this. Actually, it's the most important factor for me. Most people will fine the stock shift fine, and it is. I am very picky though!

In general, the gearshift is spot on. Light. Silky. Slots into gear very easily. Almost to the point where you don't even have to try. It just goes. Again, gear ratios are well placed for the engine.

Cons:
Here we go haha. I should start by saying that I prefer short, heavy shifts. If you're like me, I am sure you will agree with my comments. Otherwise, don't think of these as negatives. Either way, they are things that can be fixed easily. Anyone who has driven a Ford GT or a GT-P will know how I like my shifts.

The throw is a bit too long for me. Not only from 2nd to 3rd as some have mentioned in reviews, but everywhere. It's also extremely light. Shifts are almost effortless, and I'm not a big fan of that.

That said, these things are nothing that can't be fixed with a short shift kit and a weighted knob. That's already in progress haha. I've ordered the Mountune Shift Kit and a TWM M1 Abrams knob. Anyone intersted, the Fiesta ST shares the same B6 gearbox as the Focus ST. Hence why the same short shift kit works.

Suspension:

Pros:
I really have no issues here. It's what I was expecting, and what I'm used to. Supple at low speeds. Firm when moving. Just how I want it.

Cons:
I lied. I do have say something here! It's not really a con. More that I would be hesitant in going with a set of lowering springs on this car, and rather opt for full on coilovers. The reason I say that is because the suspension is already quite firm as it is. I am not sure the stock dampers could handle any more stress. Nor could your back. Either way, I'd be confident in saying you'd be replacing the dampers after 20k. They'll probably bust.

Handling/Steering:

Pros:
If this is your first car with fully electronic steering (as it is for me), it will take a bit of time to get used to. At low speeds it's effortless, and I mean effortless. You could probably blow on the steering wheel and it would turn. Get it up to speed though and the off centre feedback is there, and gives you the feeling it's hydraulic. The faster you go the better the feedback feels.

Handling...pick a line, gun it, and you'll end up on the other side in one piece. It's that good. I didn't find a turn I couldn't take on today, at any speed. This thing cuts apexes like butter. The only other car I've seen handle this well at this price point is the MK3 Clio RS.

And yes, if you want the back to swing out, it'll happily do so. I managed to quite a few times today. What a great feeling. Who needs RWD!! That said, don't expect it to be Toyota 86 like. I am a fan of that car when it comes to handling. It's actually the benchmark in this price bracket. Is the Fiesta as good? Hard to tell. It's different. With the 86, you're at least confident in knowing that if you take the corner too fast, you'll just slide out and recover easily. With FWD, it's not going to be as forgiving, and chances are you'll end up oversteering into a ditch! But, if you're on a track against an 86, you'll be at ease knowing that when it comes to taking corners at speed

Cons:
Hmmm. It's electric. That's about it. Once you get used to that, it's not that bad.

Brakes:

Pros:
They're good. Not much else to say at this point. The true test will be when I get this thing on a track. And I will be doing so. I do think they'll end up fading quite quick. But for real world scenarios, they are more than adequate. Stopping power is great.

Cons:
It would have been nice to have discs all around, as I believe only the fronts (rears???) are? I would also have liked painted calipers, but again, nothing I can't do myself.

Summary:

A lot of little gripes. Nothing that is major, and nothing that I can't really do myself to resolve. All in all, a great little car. Sorry, a fantastic little car. The new Clio RS if you ask me. When it comes to pure driving pleasure and thrills, I can't think of anything that comes close.

And please don't shoot me here Focus fans, but I would go as far as saying that the Fiesta ST is better than the Focus ST, which I have driven many times. It's more raw, doesn't suffer from any torque steer, looks better, and is almost $10k cheaper.

ConST is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 31-08-2013, 07:05 PM   #2
peterca

Default Re: Fiesta ST - An Owners Review

Regarding the brakes, the photos you posted show rear discs, didn't you look?
Old 31-08-2013, 08:51 PM   #3
InTrail

I've had a short drive in a Focus ST and found the seats too snug; felt like I was sitting ON the side bolsters somewhat.
Would you consider these the same as far as width goes?
Old 31-08-2013, 09:08 PM   #4
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Nice write up Con.

My HTC One connected on the first try, and the steering wheel controls work fine when BT streaming music. Track information WAS streamed on my WS Zetec, but the ST doesn't display it. Not sure if it's a HTC or Ford/Microsoft Sync issue.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2013, 09:40 PM   #5
ConST

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadFoot81 View Post
Nice write up Con.

My HTC One connected on the first try, and the steering wheel controls work fine when BT streaming music. Track information WAS streamed on my WS Zetec, but the ST doesn't display it. Not sure if it's a HTC or Ford/Microsoft Sync issue.
Hmmm. Interesting. When you say the controls on the steering wheel work, do you mean the volume? Or being able to skip tracks?

Which music app are you using? I'm using Google Play. Maybe that doesn't work?
Old 31-08-2013, 09:40 PM   #6
ConST

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTrail View Post
I've had a short drive in a Focus ST and found the seats too snug; felt like I was sitting ON the side bolsters somewhat.
Would you consider these the same as far as width goes?
Yeah I believe the seats are identical to be honest.
Old 31-08-2013, 09:42 PM   #7
Bossxr8
Peter Car

The ST is the only Fiesta with 4 wheel discs.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2013, 09:46 PM   #8
ConST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
The ST is the only Fiesta with 4 wheel discs.
Cool. Thanks for letting me know! I thought it was only on the rear. Mainly because the brochure says that!!

https://www.secure.ford.com.au/servl...lob&blobkey=id
Old 31-08-2013, 09:56 PM   #9
GeeDubF6

I'd say they are highlighting the features that are not considered "standard" now days - doubt you will find a new car without front discs.

Congrats on the purchase - they are a great little car. I'm swapping the Typhoon for one. Yep, that good!

Monday just seems soo far away after reading your review...

Old: BF MKII F6 #00390 in Breeze. Sunroof, 19" Dark Argent wheels, Reverse Sensors, Electric Pedals, Leather, FPV Mats... Ear to ear grin!!
GeeDubF6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2013, 09:58 PM   #10
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConST View Post
Hmmm. Interesting. When you say the controls on the steering wheel work, do you mean the volume? Or being able to skip tracks?

Which music app are you using? I'm using Google Play. Maybe that doesn't work?
Yep, skip tracks works as per normal. I'm using the generic HTC music app.
Old 31-08-2013, 09:59 PM   #11
ConST

Quote:
Cool. I will try that app tomorrow.

I've been reading up and the HTC One with 4.2.2 as a minimum should be transmitting the track info now. Odd.

Stupid software jerks...
Old 01-09-2013, 12:11 AM   #12
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well done on the purchase. I'm curious enough to see one of these Molten Oranges in the metal, as they always look kind of wishy washy in photos (kind of like how red cars always look wrong, more orange than red, I guess).

On the seats, you may find they will wear into your shape in a few months. I found this in the Fabia: I was always wriggling to get comfortable when I first got it, but now they fit snugly.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2013, 08:19 AM   #13
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Focus View Post
Well done on the purchase. I'm curious enough to see one of these Molten Oranges in the metal, as they always look kind of wishy washy in photos (kind of like how red cars always look wrong, more orange than red, I guess).

On the seats, you may find they will wear into your shape in a few months. I found this in the Fabia: I was always wriggling to get comfortable when I first got it, but now they fit snugly.
There are a lot of nice pics of Molten Orange STs online, but even they don't do the color justice. It looks fantastic in person.
This user likes this post:
Old 01-09-2013, 08:34 AM   #14
cainen

Pretty good write up thanks. I love this car but two little gripes for me. Given the height of the brake pedal vs the height of the accelerator I'm finding it impossible to heal toe on down shifts at the moment. Maybe once the brakes wear in a bit it will get easier.
The other thing is the hill start assist. It is effective and a pretty cool feature but I'm struggling to get a smooth launch with it. I guess I'll figure it out and get used to it eventually.

Having said that, there are 100 positives for every negative on this car. It's hard not to smile while you're driving it.
cainen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 01-09-2013, 10:47 AM   #15
ConST

Quote:
Nope. Unfortunately still doesn't work with the default music app either. Can't skip tracks.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk 2
Old 01-09-2013, 11:25 AM   #16
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by cainen View Post
Pretty good write up thanks. I love this car but two little gripes for me. Given the height of the brake pedal vs the height of the accelerator I'm finding it impossible to heal toe on down shifts at the moment. Maybe once the brakes wear in a bit it will get easier.
The other thing is the hill start assist. It is effective and a pretty cool feature but I'm struggling to get a smooth launch with it. I guess I'll figure it out and get used to it eventually.

Having said that, there are 100 positives for every negative on this car. It's hard not to smile while you're driving it.
I can't stop giggling like a school boy every time I go for a spin in mine!

Looking forwards to the commute to work tomorrow. Best believe I'm gonna leave early and take the long route!

Quote:
Nope. Unfortunately still doesn't work with the default music app either. Can't skip tracks.

Hmm, yours is the newest release HTC (One?) Mine works no dramas. Have you tried restarting the phone? The phone would play up every so often with my WS and needed to be restarted. As much as I don't like them, my old iPhone 3 was the best to stream music from, never had issues with it and very responsive to the steering wheel controls (I find that Android phones lag slightly when asked to skip tracks)
Old 01-09-2013, 11:35 AM   #17
ryu88
Starter Motor

Quote:

One of the first things I did was turn hill start assist off. I hate that.

I agree. I drove my new ST for about 4 hours yesterday. Didn't stop smiling.
ryu88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2013, 11:45 AM   #18
ConST

Quote:
I can't stop giggling like a school boy every time I go for a spin in mine!

Looking forwards to the commute to work tomorrow. Best believe I'm gonna leave early and take the long route!

Hmm, yours is the newest release HTC (One?) Mine works no dramas. Have you tried restarting the phone? The phone would play up every so often with my WS and needed to be restarted. As much as I don't like them, my old iPhone 3 was the best to stream music from, never had issues with it and very responsive to the steering wheel controls (I find that Android phones lag slightly when asked to skip tracks)
Yeah its the latest one. I may have a to switch to a usb. Pretty pointless to stream music from my phone but have to skip tracks using it. Seeing as though it's illegal to hold it while driving!

Old 01-09-2013, 12:19 PM   #19
cainen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryu88 View Post
One of the first things I did was turn hill start assist off. I hate that.
How do you turn it off?
cainen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2013, 12:34 PM   #20
ryu88
Starter Motor

Quote:
How do you turn it off?
It's a thing you can untick under menu and vehicle settings.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:48 PM   #21
ConST

I think I've gotten used to the hill start assist.

What I haven't gotten used to is hitting a button to turn off the engine. I keep reaching for the right hand steering column looking for the key!

Old 01-09-2013, 01:56 PM   #22
ryu88
Starter Motor

Quote:
I think I've gotten used to the hill start assist.

What I haven't gotten used to is hitting a button to turn off the engine. I keep reaching for the right hand steering column looking for the key!

My thing is the indicators on the left hand side. I haven't accidentally flicked the wipers yet, but just feels like my left hand is too busy, with gears and indicators, whilst my right isn't doing much at all.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:27 PM   #23
trumpy73

Hill start assist shouldn't be an option. If you can't work a clutch then you shouldn't be driving a manual sports car.
trumpy73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2013, 08:25 PM   #24
WILDB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just as well you can turn it off then....
WILDB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2013, 09:27 PM   #25
max.l
Starter Motor

Fantastic review, just what i was looking for!

Walked in for a test-drive yesterday, walked out with an empty pocket.

It was absolutely unreal. Grinning from ear to ear. Downsizing from an SP25; damned excited. Find out tomorrow if i've got the car i want secured.
max.l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2013, 11:02 PM   #26
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

Quote:
Seats:
Pros:
This one should be a short section. Super supportive Recaros.......
How do the seats compare to the ones fitted in the Focus ST?
Tighter, more generous or pretty well the same?

Excellent write-up, by the way. Thanks for all the detailed comments.
EB# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2013, 12:18 AM   #27
WILDB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB92 View Post
They are the same seats, albeit finished in cloth instead of the partial leather in the Focus.
WILDB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2013, 07:57 AM   #28
ConST

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB92 View Post

Excellent write-up, by the way. Thanks for all the detailed comments.
Yeah they are the same as per above.

Having sat in both cars I found the ones in the Fiesta slimmer but that may be because they are new still

Old 07-09-2013, 06:45 PM   #29
WUB913

Nice review, should be doing carsales what's your fuel economy like? I don't trust fords 6.1L per 100km
Old 07-09-2013, 08:54 PM   #30
Pursya

Quote:
Originally Posted by WUB913 View Post
Nice review, should be doing carsales what's your fuel economy like? I don't trust fords 6.1L per 100km

The car will not return 6.1. As no car ever achieves the mandated benchmark test.
It is a standard test done to all vehicles and should only be used as a comparison, not a real life gauge.
Pursya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post