Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-05-2015, 12:07 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Angry Speeding Fines in QLD To Increase from July 1

"THE cost of a fine is about to jump again in Queensland — for the fourth time in seven years.

Annastacia Palaszczuk’s Labor Government is taking advantage of a measure brought in by the former LNP government to increase the value of a penalty point from July 1, from $113.85 to $117.80.

That follows a similar increase last financial year and comes after the Newman government changed the law in early 2014 to allow for automatic increases of 3.5 per cent every year — unless the Treasurer believes it should be higher.

The move means fines for everything from speeding to walking a dog without a leash and smoking in a nonsmoking area will rise.

From July 1, the fine for those caught smoking in a nonsmoking area will rise from $227.70 to $235.60.

Hoons charged with driving without due care and attention could land themselves a fine totalling $4712, up from $4554 — or six months’ imprisonment, while those caught spraying graffiti will jump from a maximum of $2277 to $2356.

Treasurer Curtis Pitt said the 3.5 per cent increase was a “continuation of the LNP’s indexation policy”.

The increase is the fourth in seven years.

The former Bligh government increased the value of a penalty unit from $75 to $100 in 2009.

It then stayed stagnant until the Newman government was elected and increase it by another 10 per cent in 2012, from $100 to $110 per unit in a bid to raise about $88 million over three years.

The LNP increased it by a further 3.5 per cent last year with Labor now following suit and enforcing the latest increase."
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/q...-1227332027021
Current speeding fines in QLD http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Safety/Dri...it-points.aspx

Last edited by csv8; 03-05-2015 at 12:30 PM.
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2015, 12:37 PM   #2
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Default Re: Speeding Fines in QLD To Increase from July 1

They are a classy lot the Qld gruberment decrease the tolerance and then increase the fine only months apart, its all about keeping us safe, stopping accidents…...

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 03-05-2015, 12:44 PM   #3
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

r
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV+fteT3 View Post
They are a classy lot the Qld gruberment decrease the tolerance and then increase the fine only months apart, its all about keeping us safe, stopping accidents…...
Its all about revenue raising..disguised as road safety,,
Old 03-05-2015, 12:50 PM   #4
superyob
Banned

Why the anguish and sack cloth and ashes? I recently got a speeding ticket. I sped, I got caught, I paid. I broke the law and I paid the price. What's to complain about?

'Oh but it's revenue raising! It's not about safety but...' And at this point, I have dozed off into lala, land bored with the pointless irrelevance of your argument...
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2015, 12:50 PM   #5
Dash_XR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV+fteT3 View Post
I think Vic is doing that too, drop the speed limits and up the fines. Win/win.
Rapid Systems Intercooler & Battery Relocation - ID 1000 Injectors - Process West Surge Tank - Venom 100 Cell Bolt On Cat - XForce 3.5 inch Catback - Plazmaman 4 inch Turboside Intake - Crow HD Valve Springs - Glowshift Gauges (Oil temp, Oil Pressure, Boost, Volt) - Malwood Opt 5 - XR50 Interior - FG2 Limited Ed 19's - Nitto Invo's

Dash_XR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2015, 12:57 PM   #6
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

[QUOTE=csv8;5387005]"THE cost of a fine is about to jump again in Queensland — for the fourth time in seven years.

Is QLD's economy broke or something?

cheer's, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2015, 12:58 PM   #7
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

superyob..the point is, in QLD you can be booked for 1km over and fined $160 and 1 demerit point,the highest in Australia. If the Government were concerned about road safety and not revenue raising. Then the just over fine should be $100 and no demerit point. What does a happy snap arriving in the mail , a few weeks later do ??????
Old 03-05-2015, 01:07 PM   #8
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by superyob View Post
Why the anguish and sack cloth and ashes? I recently got a speeding ticket. I sped, I got caught, I paid. I broke the law and I paid the price. What's to complain about?
The over-emphasis on low-level speeding enforcement which contributes negligibly to the road toll? Or are you one of the mindless sheep that thinks any law is worth enforcing simply because its the law?
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-05-2015, 02:03 PM   #9
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

I must have missed this initiative in Pluck_a_Chooks policy statements, actually I missed most of her policy statements (there weren't many).

Back to the issue, we the motorists are easy targets. Meanwhile the politicians use taxis, hire cars, helicopters and planes to commute. Both sides of politicians pretend to be blissfully unaware of the conditions of the roads and what goes on, they use a headline about someone dying and their reaction is to enforce a more stick regime, a byproduct of this enforcement is that it helps pay for the taxis, hire cars, helicopters and planes.
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2015, 02:17 PM   #10
superyob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
superyob..the point is, in QLD you can be booked for 1km over and fined $160 and 1 demerit point,the highest in Australia. If the Government were concerned about road safety and not revenue raising. Then the just over fine should be $100 and no demerit point. What does a happy snap arriving in the mail , a few weeks later do ??????
I understand your point csv8. There is nothing you or I can do about it is my point...
Old 03-05-2015, 02:19 PM   #11
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It will be amusing if everyone becomes so **** scared of getting a huge fine and sits 10 ks below the limit and their revenue stream dries up,
I suppose they will then have to lower the limits to try and catch a few more out.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2015, 02:22 PM   #12
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

'Oh but it's revenue raising! It's not about safety but...' And at this point, I have dozed off into lala, land bored with the pointless irrelevance of your argument...
The complaint is about the motive of revenue and the pretense of safety. The problem is when everyone's behavior is changed with Skinner's positive punishment, the revenue drops again, then they have to keep finding ways through speeding fines to balance the budgets. So they don't want people to obey the speed limit, they want people to get caught breaking it and keep paying. All this nonsense about being a good little boy and paying the price for what you did means you got sucked in big time.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 03-05-2015, 02:42 PM   #13
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I thought it was standard that penalty units are indexed annually?

Quote:
The current value of a penalty unit is $147.61 (as at 1 July 2014). For example, if an offence carries two penalty units, the total fine is $295. The value of a penalty unit is set annually by the Department of Treasury and Finance, and is updated on 1 July each year.
At least it is in Victoria anyway, so its not really anything new and yours is cheaper so what are you guys complaining about lol.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-05-2015, 04:28 PM   #14
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
I must have missed this initiative in Pluck_a_Chooks policy statements, actually I missed most of her policy statements (there weren't many).

Back to the issue, we the motorists are easy targets. Meanwhile the politicians use taxis, hire cars, helicopters and planes to commute. Both sides of politicians pretend to be blissfully unaware of the conditions of the roads and what goes on, they use a headline about someone dying and their reaction is to enforce a more stick regime, a byproduct of this enforcement is that it helps pay for the taxis, hire cars, helicopters and planes.

What really hurts is when you drive for a living and do 100, 000 kms plus per year. On roads that can be 40 60 70 80 all on the same road. After recently coming back from a snail 24 tonne 9 speed truck to a 2tonne auto VW van I have had 2 speed tickets in 6 months both 65 in a 60. I try as hard as I can to avoid speeding but you cant look at your speedo constantly -sometimes you have look straight ahead and check your mirrors.
It sucks earning 800 a week and being copped with a 150 buck speeding ticket.
kevino is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 03-05-2015, 04:30 PM   #15
loony888

Quote:
I understand your point csv8. There is nothing you or I can do about it is my point...
every government everywhere thrives on the apathy of those it governs.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:21 PM   #16
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

Got a speeding ticket in 2006, $151

Got two speeding tickets and one red light fine in March, $lots. Long time between drinks.

You can have to best intentions, understand the road rules, comply with them 99.999% of the time. But you lose focus for a billionth of a second and they'll sting you in the grass.
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 03-05-2015, 07:51 PM   #17
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by loony888 View Post
every government everywhere thrives on the apathy of those it governs.
But, armed with this knowledge, your still not going to do or be able to do anything about it either?

JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-05-2015, 07:54 PM   #18
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Red face Re: Speeding Fines in QLD To Increase from July 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM1DY View Post
Got a speeding ticket in 2006, $151

Got two speeding tickets and one red light fine in March, $lots. Long time between drinks.

You can have to best intentions, understand the road rules, comply with them 99.999% of the time. But you lose focus for a billionth of a second and they'll sting you in the grass.

I dont think the fines and revenues departments coverage is that saturated to catch you 100 percent oft he times everyone errs on the side of illegal.

JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-05-2015, 09:09 PM   #19
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
It will be amusing if everyone becomes so **** scared of getting a huge fine and sits 10 ks below the limit and their revenue stream dries up,
I suppose they will then have to lower the limits to try and catch a few more out.
This is already happening almost everywhere. To counteract the loss of revenue they simply lower the limits on roads that have been improved. A great recent example is the Logan motorway/Gateway merge. Improved it considerably and lowered the limit. Bunches everyone so it is difficult for people to merge.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2015, 01:47 AM   #20
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

I’ve had 3 speeding fines in 38 years of driving.

One was 37 years ago and two within a couple of weeks of each other about 10 years ago.

In all cases I was less than 10km/h over.

The first and last were fixed cameras and the second was a Cop with a hand held who’s offsider flagged me to pull in.

The first I was definitely over, I was heading north on Military Road heading down to the Spit, Sydneysiders would know it as a steep descent. It was my first drive on that road after having moved to Sydney from the bush. Live and learn, I was free wheeling, after that I was always on the brakes.

The second was heading north on Wallgrove Road at Eastern Creek. I’d travelled that road five days a week for a couple of years and got done the day they reduced the speed limit by 10km/h due to roadwork at the M4 interchange. I simply didn’t see the new speed limit signs. The Cop said because I had a good record I should write to have it dropped, I would have been happier if he'd just given me and about a half dozen others that were pulled over at the time a warning.

The last was in a line of bumper to bumper traffic on Castle Hill Road and to this day I don’t know how I could have possibly been speeding.

Not that I’m complaining as I’ve never been an Angel so I’ve had much, much more than a good run for my money.

I believe issuing infringements for being 1k over is a bit over the top but my point is that governments will always use speeding as a revenue raiser and if you continuously get caught than you are seriously taking risks in the wrong places.

Last edited by Express; 04-05-2015 at 01:54 AM.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-05-2015, 03:36 AM   #21
Spurious

No doubt it's revenue raising.

There's 4 entry points from the highway into my town. 3 are 60kph limits, 1 is a 50 zone...& guess where they put the speed camera every other week, in the 50 zone!

The local authorities here also have a habit of moving the speed limit sign posts!
Spurious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2015, 09:57 AM   #22
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Im lucky living in the bush never see a speed camera beside the cops getting people in the school zones. I find it so stressful driving in the city, not only do I have more traffic to worry about but the stupid speed zones changing all the time and the cameras everywhere its my wifes job to try and keep track of what the speed limit is then I have to keep my eyes on the stinking speedo the whole time........ what a joke

I don't intentionally speed but drifting 1 or 2 kmh over the speed limit when your watching were you should be going is NOT more dangerous.
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Falcon SXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2015, 10:41 AM   #23
kaniSS
BIG MEMBER ;)

Everything goes up under LABOR. Who ever voted for them suffer in your jocks.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:47 AM   #24
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Just means that every K over is a thriller.
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2015, 12:18 PM   #25
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

I km/h tolerances have no effect other than ensuring the drivers attention is fixated on their speedo rather than watching where they are going.

I would love to see a experiment where they make it publicly known that for 12 months the tolerance will be raised to 10% of the limit like it used to be but the fine will be doubled.

I bet the road toll would go down. The simple fact is speeding by less than 10% contributes to almost no road fatalities.
Old 04-05-2015, 12:21 PM   #26
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaniSS View Post
Yeah because it did not go up under liberal. Newman put it up 10% after it had been stagnant for years under Labor and now Labor have put it up another 3.5% which is much less than the Newman Liberal government. But don't let truth get in the way of a good story.
Old 04-05-2015, 01:14 PM   #27
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaniSS View Post
And its any better in NSW??? Didn't the Libs before coming into power promise a review of speed camera use? And what was the outcome? I see a lot more mobile cameras than before, and fewer cops patrolling and more parked on freeway medians.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2015, 01:45 PM   #28
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
Lol, please show proof of where you get booked for 1k over the posted limit
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2015, 01:48 PM   #29
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My father-in-law received a speeding fine last Friday. 61 in a 50 zone. He thought he was in a 60 zone.
He is 87 and its his 3rd ticket.
First one was in 1968, the 2nd in 1977.
Thousands and thousands of kilometres of driving in those years with a couple of fines issued to him.
And now he would be lucky to drive 100kms in a year and yet here he is with his first speeding fine in about 38 years.
I feel sorry for him, i think he said it was over $400, he doesn't need that.
Their traps are everywhere and they are collecting like nobody's business. I would argue its less safe out there now what with everyone braking before driving through the intersection or pedestrian crossing just to be sure they are well under the 60kmh line on their speedo
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-05-2015, 03:29 PM   #30
superyob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT View Post
I km/h tolerances have no effect other than ensuring the drivers attention is fixated on their speedo rather than watching where they are going.

I would love to see a experiment where they make it publicly known that for 12 months the tolerance will be raised to 10% of the limit like it used to be but the fine will be doubled.

I bet the road toll would go down. The simple fact is speeding by less than 10% contributes to almost no road fatalities.
If you are going to make a statement like that then I would like some evidence please! Off course you can ignore my request or tell me where to go (you won't be the first) but you will also risk a dire and perilous situation whereby I will possible not believe you!!!