Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-04-2015, 09:54 PM   #1
zlcrazy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Isuzu Mux Owners Opinions Please

Hey all

Just wondering if there is any Isuzu Mux owners here an if you could share your opinions about them an any other information etc. Any off road experiences or road trips etc would be great.

Also from anyone who has perhaps driven one or knows some one with one please share any info possible.

Thanks

[B]2000 AU2 Fairmont Wagon - Congo Green
Factory Smart Bullbar, Hayman Reese Heavy Duty 2300kg Towpack and Front and Rear Mudflaps.
zlcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2015, 10:16 PM   #2
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 
Default Re: Isuzu Mux Owners Opinions Please

Mate of mine has one, he's very happy with it, except for the key remote buttons press too easily in his pocket so it keeps unlocking the doors before he can get out of range. So when he parks it at work, he holds the keys until he's well away before he puts it in his bag. (He drives fuel tankers).
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2015, 11:02 PM   #3
OZYWALKER
XR50T

Must be the same key as the DMAX/Colorado. There's a rubber key case on eBay that stops that problem.
Old 14-04-2015, 11:29 PM   #4
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a new dmax company car, was pleasantly surprised in how well built it seems to be!
Engine is really nice too. Am getting 8 litres per hundred with it floored revving it out to 4000 a fair bit, as well as doing 120ish gps speed on the highways so cant complain about economy! Thats a manual though.
last few fill ups have been over 920km per tank on about 74 litres.
MUX has the same engine so should be just as good? But if its an auto I guess you would get about 2 litres/100 worse.
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2015, 11:30 PM   #5
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZYWALKER View Post
Must be the same key as the DMAX/Colorado. There's a rubber key case on eBay that stops that problem.
I'll tell him that. Thanks.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2015, 11:42 PM   #6
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I'm pretty sure the Isuzu's have the older 3L Diesel engine where as the Holden Colorado variants have the newer 2.8L diesel engine with 500nm or something.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/279783/h...arison-review/

Big defecit on torque.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2015, 07:28 AM   #7
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Mux <<<<< Everest.
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-04-2015, 08:59 AM   #8
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is this the thing I keep seeing that looks like a Mercedes ML? Last Isuzu I remember tried to look like a Range Rover. They must have a philosophy that if it looks like one it will go like one.
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2015, 09:21 AM   #9
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Looks nice but underpinnings are pedestrian mine truck stuff in regards to vehicle dynamics etc. Which is excellent if you are interested in doing fair bit of off road, not so excellent if you want a road going SUV tupe vehicle. Which then you are obviously better off with something with chassis designed as road going SUV or sedan based chassis like Territory. But if off road is your thing, with some nice styling on road, then they would seem to be a good choice.
Old 15-04-2015, 07:28 PM   #10
zlcrazy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Really appreciating the info, please continue sharing more folks

Factory Smart Bullbar, Hayman Reese Heavy Duty 2300kg Towpack and Front and Rear Mudflaps.
Old 16-04-2015, 08:48 AM   #11
gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
I'm pretty sure the Isuzu's have the older 3L Diesel engine where as the Holden Colorado variants have the newer 2.8L diesel engine with 500nm or something.

Big defecit on torque.
True, Isuzu's engine looks worse on paper. I'd be interested to see how each engine goes over time though. Isuzu's small truck engines have a reputation for being bulletproof, I'd hope this one is too. And perhaps that's what Isuzu is aiming for - a lower stressed engine leading to a longer service life.
gunner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 16-04-2015, 09:56 AM   #12
Binny

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner View Post
True, Isuzu's engine looks worse on paper. I'd be interested to see how each engine goes over time though. Isuzu's small truck engines have a reputation for being bulletproof, I'd hope this one is too. And perhaps that's what Isuzu is aiming for - a lower stressed engine leading to a longer service life.

I remembered reading this somewhere so I went looking for it. - From http://www.motoring.com.au/news/2013...ing-club-39809

"Isuzu says the four-cylinder ‘Hi Power’ 4JJ1-TC engine, which also powers the Japanese manufacturer’s N-Series trucks and new MU-X, boasts a B10 rating of 500,000km, which means 90 per cent of engines are expected to reach 500,000km before requiring a rebuild."
Old 16-04-2015, 10:01 AM   #13
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner View Post
So true, I had a 91 holden rodeo thats just an isuzu if others didn't know and it had 650 000ks on the clock when I retired it due to rust issues from beach driving. I had a top mount intercooler on it running 15psi boost and fuel wound up on it too it went great and would get 9ltrs per hundred on the hwy. It was so good I went and got a 97 rodeo with the same motor and its done 270 000ks now only just run in

I know a bloke with a 2wd mux and its going great for him and a couple other blokes with the newer dmax and there all happy.

If I was up for a newer vehicle I would have the isuzu on my list but it depends what you want as they might not be as refined as a city slicker soft roader
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Falcon SXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2015, 12:41 PM   #14
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford View Post
Is this the thing I keep seeing that looks like a Mercedes ML? Last Isuzu I remember tried to look like a Range Rover. They must have a philosophy that if it looks like one it will go like one.
I think you thinking of a Musso, very ugly looking things that have a similar grill to look a bit like a Mercedes, I think at one stage they ever had Mercedes engines in them.

But the Isuzu MUX IMO looks ok, better than a Colorado 7 and basically the same thing.
But as Big Damo says the engines are different. Colorado 7 beats it on power torque and economy.

Ford FFS hurry up and get the Everest here
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2015, 02:16 PM   #15
Terror_Tree
SZ II TS Territory-Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post

Big defecit on torque.
I was told the Colorado was an Dmax that failed quality inspection

FWD is the Devils work
Terror_Tree is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-04-2015, 11:18 PM   #16
LyleXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some friends have a Colorado 7, very agricultural if you ask me, engine is very rattly and noisy, auto isn't real smooth and a 5 speed, most are now 6 speed, VW and Jeep maybe some others have 8 speed now, the stereo display is old style black background with green pixels, the pixels are real big and just looks so old school, like the digital clocks in cars or your oven!!
LyleXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 17-04-2015, 07:30 AM   #17
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Colorado has a 6 speed auto.
MUX only has a 5 speed
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2015, 09:10 AM   #18
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

Still drive my 92 Mysterious Utility almost daily. Goes anywhere a landcruiser goes to the annoyance of my friends and its full of character. If the engine is made by Isuzu it will be bulletproof. Like the Colorado the interiors are a little cheap on the new Xtreme but then the pricing is reflective of that. The Everest will come along and be quite a bit more expensive I expect. Isuzu do know what they are doing so it will go alright.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2015, 08:17 PM   #19
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Isuzu do know what they are doing so it will go alright.
Do people forget how bad those Fronteras were with a petrol engine? They were overheating from new as the cooling system wasnt up to Australian conditions.

Old 17-04-2015, 09:31 PM   #20
chookaradley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin View Post
Do people forget how bad those Fronteras were with a petrol engine? They were overheating from new as the cooling system wasnt up to Australian conditions.
I had a fair bit of experience with the 6VD1, and your right it was fairly awfull. Drunk like a drunken sailor too. Isuzu know how to build a tough diesel engine and are widely regarded for it. The 3.0 in the Dmax/mux is down a little on power compared to some competitors but that is a deliberate ploy to ensure its a low stress engine. Apparently it's capable of a lot more power.
chookaradley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2015, 03:04 PM   #21
herbicide

The D Max/ Mux engines are near indestructible. Certainly don't have the injector issues some others have. Don't worry about on paper power figures, they're fine. Also, the 5 speed auto is the same unit Toyota used in the 100 series Landcruiser, so you won't break it. These would be my pick for a new 4wd.
herbicide is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2015, 05:14 PM   #22
4VCLEVO
XA GT

My 4jj1 3L isuzu, same as that in the MUX destroyed itself after 150,000km. Doesn't matter what you buy, some times **** happens.

Old 18-04-2015, 05:30 PM   #23
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

A two ton SUV with a modern CRD engine and 3 ton towing capacity should have a lot more than 380Nm torque. They dropped the ball there, it should be up around 450nm.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2015, 08:30 PM   #24
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe View Post
A two ton SUV with a modern CRD engine and 3 ton towing capacity should have a lot more than 380Nm torque. They dropped the ball there, it should be up around 450nm.
Same engine is in 3t+ trucks.

Last edited by XR Martin; 18-04-2015 at 08:36 PM.
Old 18-04-2015, 08:48 PM   #25
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Doesn't matter what it's in. Fact remains it's behind the eight ball compared to most others these days.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2015, 12:55 PM   #26
deadfish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin View Post
Same engine is in 3t+ trucks.

Amazing what final drive ratios do though.....
deadfish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2015, 11:16 PM   #27
zlcrazy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Anyone else have any more opinions

Old 05-05-2015, 11:52 PM   #28
richo77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Was at the traffic lights and one pulled up, thought it was a diesel truck idling away next to me before i glanced over. Very noisy engine.
richo77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2015, 01:05 AM   #29
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

If making noise it's running !! Much like a Harly ..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2015, 01:54 AM   #30
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Isuzu is one of the worlds biggest companies. No one knows Diesel engines like Isuzu. I think they make more engines than any other company on the planet, their DNA is trucks. Their R&D would be second to none.
They haven't dropped the ball on anything. If they wanted to run a 6/7/8 speed auto they could.....more torque - no problem.

The company has deliberately stuck with the current bullet proof set up. They have already come out and said publicly that this is the perfect compromise going forward at this time.

Caravan mags have put the Isuzu with 2+ ton in tow up against bigger torque engines, many reviewers have said the difference doesn't feel anywhere near as big as the figures would suggest on paper........that alone speaks volumes of just how good that 3L is.

8 speeds.......we had a Passat for a week and around town it always felt like it was trying to find its feet regarding the correct gear, very noticeable and annoying at times. Technology will improve but don't think that the 8 speeds are the ducks guts.

We had a DMAX for 4 years. Absolutely brilliant, loved it, would have absolutely no hesitation in owning another. We had the 5 speed manual.

Yes you can hear it's a diesel but it's quite quiet I reckon. In the 4 years we had ours I never thought 'this is noisy'. The in cab noise was better than the F6 running the OE Dunlops!!

Brilliant motor/box that gets my vote.

Last edited by chrisandsharon; 06-05-2015 at 02:00 AM.
chrisandsharon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post