Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-08-2015, 04:57 PM   #1
Fordster91
Starter Motor

Question Buying tyres online??

Hi everyone,

I have been contemplating whether or not to buy tyres online. I usually get them from a garage close by but online seems to be cheaper.
What do you guys think? Any opinions or experiences?
Had a look at Tyroola and ozzytyres. Seem to be legitimate companies with a lot of reviews each.

All the best
Fordster
Fordster91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2015, 05:16 PM   #2
XG_Falcon

Default Re: Buying tyres online??

I have bought tyres online a few times. It's generally a pleasant and trouble-free buying experience, also can be cheaper than going into a tyre shop. Make sure you know exact what product you want though.
XG_Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 17-08-2015, 05:26 PM   #3
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would'nt take the risk of getting the wrong product.

Also what are these no name brands like???
GASWAGON is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2015, 05:28 PM   #4
XG_Falcon

I'm guessing the names he mentioned are tyre wholesalers, not tyre brands.
Old 17-08-2015, 05:28 PM   #5
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

I've used Ozzy Tyres for a tyre/mag package. They arrived fitted and balanced, however if you're buying tyres alone, you have to go to one of their nominated tyre places to be fitted and balanced - if there's not one handy to you you'll have to pay extra for that.
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them
Captain Stubing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2015, 05:31 PM   #6
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Also check how old the rubber is when purchasing. Chances are you are buying older stock which may have gone a bit hard, therefore the grip may not be as good or the rubber is more prone to cracking. This is a common point I have read when buying online sight unseen. Hence the cheaper prices.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2015, 05:53 PM   #7
sikxe351

I have had good experience with St George Tyres on eBay, they are located in Sydney.
sikxe351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-08-2015, 06:02 PM   #8
mac_man_luke
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Iv bought multiple sets from various well known online / eBay stores - often saved over $100 a tyre inc paying the local shop to fit them.

All sets have been really fresh rubber too.
Old 17-08-2015, 06:14 PM   #9
XG_Falcon

I have used Tempe Tyres in NSW, they sent 4x tyres to SA with free delivery.
2 users like this post:
Old 17-08-2015, 06:32 PM   #10
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It must depend on the tyre. I've looked at a few places online and they have been far more expensive than Jax or even Ford, and the latter include fitting and balancing.
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2015, 07:49 PM   #11
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've got some through Tempe tires before, no problems at all
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Falcon SXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-08-2015, 08:06 PM   #12
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have bought through International Tyre Trader several times now. Great service, great prices, and brand new tyres every time. Forum sponsor too.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 17-08-2015, 08:24 PM   #13
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikxe351 View Post
I have had good experience with St George Tyres on eBay, they are located in Sydney.
A good example, But I assume you live close to them for the fitting and balancing.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2015, 09:01 PM   #14
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Online tyres are great for the hip pocket, but the best service is using a trusted tyre dealer with their knowledge of the product. Going for a few bucks cheaper isn't always best, when you buy online, you're stuck with a product that you might not be happy with.

P.S. Support your local business.
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 18-08-2015, 12:54 AM   #15
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
Also check how old the rubber is when purchasing. Chances are you are buying older stock which may have gone a bit hard, therefore the grip may not be as good or the rubber is more prone to cracking. This is a common point I have read when buying online sight unseen. Hence the cheaper prices.
Depends. Usually it is the exact opposite.

Most of the BIG online tyre companies use a network of car dealers and service centres to do their fitting (& balancing) for them.
Where they save money is NOT having huge warehouses full of tyres, or huge inventories at their fitting centres.
Your buy 4 Goodyear XYZ's, they order 4 Goodyear XYZ's from the manufacturer or distributor to be shipped to your chosen fitting centre.

This is different to the guys on eBay flogging a few disparate tyres, which ARE usually obsolete stock or worse.
Old 18-08-2015, 04:38 AM   #16
AAXR8

Thumbs up Re: Buying tyres online??

I bought my First set of Tyres of Tempe Tyres on Ebay! I was a bit worrierd to, but I started using Dunlop sport Max Tyres Normally $360-$380 each in the store which no way could I pay for 4 tyres at that price and got them for $188 per tyre which is amazing! You have 30 days to return them but the Tyres are amazing, I did check to see what year and they were last years stock I think? But the Company who put them on the rims could not believe how good they were also! The first drive can't fault them and the Company! 100% Recommend Tempe Tyres in NSW!! everyone I spoke to was very helpfull and Great Customer service!!
, SCT FLASH TUNED, COLD AIR INTAKE WITH K&N HI FLOW POD FILTER , 4:11 DIFF, HERROD THROTTLE BODY. PEDDERS XTREME-XA COILOVERS
!!
247 RWKW

03 BA XR8 UTE WHITE IN COLOR!

AAXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2015, 08:35 AM   #17
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

I bought acouple of sets from Taxityres.com.au a couple of years ago and had no issues. The prices were great as well.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2015, 09:06 AM   #18
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2 View Post
I have bought through International Tyre Trader several times now. Great service, great prices, and brand new tyres every time. Forum sponsor too.
Same.

International Tyre Trader are a site sponsor and i believe offer discount to members as well.

to make the experience even more hassle free, they have a network of fitters in every state, and you can get the tyres delivered directly to there, or to your home address, whichever suits you best.

i recently had my car repaired due to a red light runner, and part of the repairs was a new tyre. they sourced it locally for $330. i paid $250 including shipping and fitting. that was for kumho ku27.

i would encourage anyone not on the east coast to consider online shopping. we get royally screwed on large tyre sizes here in adelaide, and its not like you are ordering from overseas. they are just coming from the east coast. small car sizes seem to be about on par nationwide, but large sizes are a joke here.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 18-08-2015, 09:51 AM   #19
82XD393.3v
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2 View Post
+2 for international tyre trader

FG F6 Manual 366RWKW tuned by BLUE POWER

82XD393.3v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 18-08-2015, 10:09 AM   #20
FormulaFG
Lurking......
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Same.

International Tyre Trader are a site sponsor and i believe offer discount to members as well.

to make the experience even more hassle free, they have a network of fitters in every state, and you can get the tyres delivered directly to there, or to your home address, whichever suits you best.

i recently had my car repaired due to a red light runner, and part of the repairs was a new tyre. they sourced it locally for $330. i paid $250 including shipping and fitting. that was for kumho ku27.

i would encourage anyone not on the east coast to consider online shopping. we get royally screwed on large tyre sizes here in adelaide, and its not like you are ordering from overseas. they are just coming from the east coast. small car sizes seem to be about on par nationwide, but large sizes are a joke here.
Your not far from where I am. Who was their local recommended fitter?
FormulaFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2015, 10:41 AM   #21
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFG View Post
Your not far from where I am. Who was their local recommended fitter?
wise choice is who i used. Aldershot rd, lonsdale. no booking required. they rang me when the tyres arrived at their place and i could just turn up whenever.

i think there was a couple of options for adelaide, but they were the closest.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-08-2015, 11:38 AM   #22
BLUEYBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have used both International Tyre Trader and Tempe Tyres and have had no issues at all. I just asked them all the questions I had, must have driven them crazy.
1995 EF Fairmont - Tickford Enhanced
1980 ZL Fairlane in Brambles red
BLUEYBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2015, 12:21 PM   #23
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Horse people we share paddock with just got 4 x Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac 255/55R 19 for Range Rover from Tempe for crazy low price. Costco are also unmatchable for Bridgestone, Michelin, BFG.
sprintman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2015, 12:21 PM   #24
kjoy064

I recently bought and had delivered last week a package wheels and tyres off Ozzy, quick and easy to deal with first off until they arrived. They sent the wrong colour, i paid for staggered so the rear wheels are wider and they came with the std 245/35/R20 not 275/30/R20 invo's as they should've. After calling them several times the day after arrival i was told that the ones i want and bought don't come in a 10" wide rear so i thought about it and changed the design (although same retail cost) yet it was going to cost me an extra $200 to which i borked at because it's not my stuff up.
In the mean time i was told they didn't have the 275/30 invo's and tried BS'ing me by selling me "better" nexan N7000 to which i looked into and are $165+30 freight off ebay versus $350+ for invos each.
Over the weekend i decided to have another look and the wheels have grown on me so I've decided to keep them. Ozzy are arranging the correct 275/30's to be freighted to WA to where I'll go get them swapped over. On a side note one of the wheels had a slight dent in the chrome ring so it will be getting replaced in 6 weeks or so once they arrive back in stock.

All in all i get what i want but I've had to chase them a number of times.

anyone wanting a discount code "POP15" worked last Friday
kjoy064 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2015, 12:38 PM   #25
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjoy064 View Post
I recently bought and had delivered last week a package wheels and tyres off Ozzy, quick and easy to deal with first off until they arrived. They sent the wrong colour, i paid for staggered so the rear wheels are wider and they came with the std 245/35/R20 not 275/30/R20 invo's as they should've. After calling them several times the day after arrival i was told that the ones i want and bought don't come in a 10" wide rear so i thought about it and changed the design (although same retail cost) yet it was going to cost me an extra $200 to which i borked at because it's not my stuff up.
In the mean time i was told they didn't have the 275/30 invo's and tried BS'ing me by selling me "better" nexan N7000 to which i looked into and are $165+30 freight off ebay versus $350+ for invos each.
Over the weekend i decided to have another look and the wheels have grown on me so I've decided to keep them. Ozzy are arranging the correct 275/30's to be freighted to WA to where I'll go get them swapped over. On a side note one of the wheels had a slight dent in the chrome ring so it will be getting replaced in 6 weeks or so once they arrive back in stock.

Wouldn't touch 'em with a barge pole!
sprintman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2015, 12:42 PM   #26
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjoy064 View Post

That is one of the down sides for me when buying online. Having to deal with the BS and waiting weeks on end because you live on he other side of the country so cannot get the issues sorted fast enough.

Lucky for me I have a good rapore with my local Bob Janes who offer me excellent discounts very close to online pricing. I ended up getting my wheel and tyre package from them as they have better buying power than a 1 off guy like myself. They passed on the savings to me which I appreciated and they will get my return business because of it.

Online is great for most things if you can get it right. Once it goes wrong, it's annoying and the money initially saved often gets chewed out rectifying the situation.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-08-2015, 12:43 PM   #27
stig_3754

Anyone tried tyresales.com.au?
stig_3754 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2015, 01:25 PM   #28
superfly
Go the Hogster!

For my current KU39's I used Tempe Tyres in Sydney. They arrived with no issues at all.

I have bought other sets in the past from other retailers and again no problems.
Old 18-08-2015, 01:42 PM   #29
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
That is one of the down sides for me when buying online. Having to deal with the BS and waiting weeks on end because you live on he other side of the country so cannot get the issues sorted fast enough.
Online is great for most things if you can get it right. Once it goes wrong, it's annoying and the money initially saved often gets chewed out rectifying the situation.
But Stuff-ups aren't restricted to online, and sorting it out comes down to the individual business.
Old 18-08-2015, 02:00 PM   #30
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
But Stuff-ups aren't restricted to online, and sorting it out comes down to the individual business.
Very true. But at least when you are standing in front of them asking them to fix it, they will deal with you there and then. Not all businesses are easy going but the ones I deal with are pretty good about rectifying a situation straight away. No waiting involved. I guess that is the price you pay when dealing with a bricks and mortar business.

That said, there is always a time and place for online business. Just be aware of the consequences and you should be fine.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont