Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 08:49 PM   #1
Spurious

Default Head on with a minibus full of elderly. Young driver madness.

http://www.9news.com.au/national/201...van-in-rosebud

I caught some of this on the news while I was doing dishes in the next room.

Apparently witnesses claim the young driver, 23 & potentially a disqualified L or P plater, was driving erratically, tried to overtake at speed in suburbia & collided head on with a bus transporting elderly citizens.

Sadly this was a fatal incident.

Regardless of his reasons, I have no sympathy for that young guy & offenders like this should be made an example of for the whole country to see. Throw the book at him, & the book case it was sitting on!
My guess would be he was either high/drugged, or very angry at the time of the incident.

Punishment should involve years of community service at a nursing home, then follow that up with assisting in a morgue dealing with trauma victims.
To top it off, his grandparents should whip him with garden hose!

Maybe then this one, & young selfish fools like him, will grasp the full reality of the devastation caused by their personal actions.

I could have my assumptions wrong with this story, but I doubt it.
Give it a week & his family will try & tell us that he had a "medical condition", or give us some other lame excuse.
2 users like this post:
Old 12-08-2015, 09:10 PM   #2
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Head on with a minibus full of elderly. Young driver madness.

Should be the same punishment not matter how old he is. Idiots are idiots, many don't grown out of it with age.
4 users like this post:
Old 12-08-2015, 10:07 PM   #3
Focused

Quote:
Originally Posted by TasmanWW View Post
Apparently witnesses claim the young driver, 23 & potentially a disqualified L or P plater, was driving erratically, tried to overtake at speed in suburbia & collided head on with a bus transporting elderly citizens.
I'm sorry, but how to witnesses identify a potentially disqualified L or P plater?

This reads like a intro to an episode of A Current Affair...

Lets get the facts right before starting the witch hunt/rant.
Old 13-08-2015, 05:49 AM   #4
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focused View Post
I'm sorry, but how to witnesses identify a potentially disqualified L or P plater?

I agree....otherwise anything could of happened. Maybe he just got a call his mrs was in a car crash, giving birth or some other incident that, while it doesn't offer an excuse, certainly puts perspective. Erratic dangerous driving deserves a hard stick tho for sure. And when there's a death because of it......that's terrible. He needs to be put in a program till he understands social reonsability.
This user likes this post:
Old 13-08-2015, 07:06 AM   #5
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:

ACA intro would have been "Apparently witnesses claim the HOON, was driving erratically, tried to overtake at speed in suburbia & collided head on with a bus transporting elderly citizens."

The phrase was poorly written, the fact he may be potentially disqualified would have been suggested by the police or a person known to him. Either way, it doesn't matter.

This is just another way they will justify "Safety cameras", I meant then frequently catch cars traveling in the wrong direction........
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
Old 13-08-2015, 07:15 AM   #6
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/on...12-gix5kh.html

Quote:
A disqualified L-plate driver is under police guard in hospital after he collided with a minibus full of nursing home residents, killing one elderly woman and injuring eight other people on the Mornington Peninsula.

The crash happened on Eastbourne Road, Rosebud, about 9.45am Wednesday when the 23-year-old man's Holden Commodore and the minibus crashed head-on, a Victoria Police spokeswoman said. Police believe the man's car swerved into the path of the bus, even as the bus driver attempted to avoid the Commodore.

The minibus was carrying seven residents aged between 71 and 94, a staff member and a volunteer from the nearby Ti Tree nursing home, who were just minutes into an outing to the beach.

One elderly woman who was sitting in the front passenger seat suffered head injuries and died at the scene, while another was flown to The Alfred hospital with life-threatening facial, chest and leg injuries, where she remains in a serious but stable condition.

The driver of the car, from Coburg, was taken into custody and is in The Alfred Hospital in a serious condition.

Police say he was spotted driving erratically in the moments leading up to the crash, and there are reports he may have been attempting to overtake another vehicle. They are now investigating whether drugs or alcohol were a factor in the crash.

Four of the other residents were taken to Frankston Hospital and Dandenong Hospital.

The Ti Tree employee and the volunteer, who was driving the bus, received minor injuries and the nursing home said it was contacting the families of residents who were on the bus.

"Our thoughts are with everyone affected by the accident, and our priority is to ensure that everyone has all of the support possible at this difficult time," managing director Chas Jacobsen said.

Eastbourne Road will be closed between Jetty Road and Rosebud Avenue while police investigate the crash.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/on...#ixzz3idMDDfWU
Follow us: @theage on Twitter | theageAustralia on Facebook
Old 13-08-2015, 10:05 AM   #7
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE View Post
Erratic dangerous driving deserves a hard stick tho for sure. And when there's a death because of it......that's terrible. He needs to be put put in prison and disqualified from driving for life so that he may begin to understand social reonsability.
Fixed it for you.

I think driving dangerously and as a result killing an innocent person requires a bit more than being put on a program.

Holding a licence is a privilege not a right, and this person if found guilty of the allegation should no longer hold the privilege. But with our legal system he will be out on the road doing it again as soon as he recovers in hospital, and the family of the innocent victim will still be down one family member

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 13-08-2015, 10:22 AM   #8
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Pitty he didn't snap his neck.

Seems to be happening more and more. Someone down here in Victoria killed an elderly women in her Mazda when he decided to overtake on the wrong side of a two lane road causing a 4 car smash.

But had a win down here the other week. Someone ran a red light (I see this happening more and more in the area) and went straight into a truck...he didn't survive. One lees POS on the road.

Last edited by GasoLane; 13-08-2015 at 05:11 PM.
3 users like this post:
Old 13-08-2015, 10:31 AM   #9
MAD
Petro-sexual

Red lights are optional these days. They're only for people that aren't in a rush.

Same goes for Emergency lanes, left only lanes, right turn lanes, etc etc.
Any piece of tarmac is fair game.
2 users like this post:
Old 13-08-2015, 10:39 AM   #10
Spurious

Quote:

Hey, I didn't report the story to the media!
The tv reporter suggested he was a disqauallified driver. I'm only repeating what I heard.

My post reads fine if you interpret correctly.

"Witnesses claim he was driving eratically", reporter stated "disqualified driver".
Put those together & you get exactly what I posted.

YOU are the one posting nonsense by asking how a witness can spot a disquallified driver. That's out of context & you're out of excuses. Go back to your home & away episode!
Old 13-08-2015, 10:53 AM   #11
Spurious

In my view, if your actions result in the death of another, the punishment should fit the crime.

Who cares what his reason is, he was in the wrong lane & caused an innocent death.
Unless it's proven the driver of the car had a heart attack or seizure, then throw that book at him.

Seriously people, would you risk your own life to get to your pregnant partner who's in labour?...& break the law in doing so?
If you said yes to that question then you need to reassess your way of thinking!

We've all seen it 100 times or more, someone wreaks havoc on the innocent in some way or another because THEY are having a bad day!
Old 13-08-2015, 11:14 AM   #12
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD View Post
Red lights are optional these days. They're only for people that aren't in a rush.

Same goes for Emergency lanes, left only lanes, right turn lanes, etc etc.
Any piece of tarmac is fair game.
You forgot U-turn lanes. Like the moron that needed to run the red light yesterday almost hitting me.
Old 13-08-2015, 11:43 AM   #13
cram_it_frog
wombat

https://www.facebook.com/DashCamOwne...78078/?fref=nf

look at this idiot caught on dash cam and police

Life is full of experiences some good some bad and with luck they all balance out in the end

What Ford s have I owned
1969 Blue wagon 1974 XB owned 3 of them
Numerious others but I always went back to ford

My first car was a 6 volt VW sedan
Old 13-08-2015, 02:15 PM   #14
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cram_it_frog View Post
https://www.facebook.com/DashCamOwne...78078/?fref=nf

look at this idiot caught on dash cam and police
That is just impatience, getting through the roundabout without waiting for a break in the traffic in the roundabout. The driver would have got fined for entering the roundabout not giving way to the white car in front of the police car, not the police car itself.

It is not the idiocy that is the topic of this thread, which I do see occasionally, like last Friday night the guy driving a VE Commodore I saw, who I thought was on a death mission.
Old 13-08-2015, 02:51 PM   #15
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Plenty of Ford bogans cutting loose on the road as well as witnessed by numerous bookface and yootoob videos being uploaded everyday, but every morning while carrying out my duties it always appears to be holdon drivers cutting it sick in suburbia...

I have awesome dashcam footage, but for my own safety concerns will not upload it as i tend to come across them nearly every other night in the same spots and the internet is a very small place :/

Yes i have informed the police, but after 2 months so far no difference has been made and the roads have lots of new licorice stripes around ... go figure ?
Old 13-08-2015, 03:19 PM   #16
lucas2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

The witnesses didn't claim that, the reporter stated the hypothetical. The reporter used smart language and grammar to manipulate the sentence to read like it did.

Regardless, from my memory, that road is quite wide (3 lanes each possibly?) so the idiot must have done something ridiculously stupid or was on something. Feel sorry for the person who lost their life and also their family and friends.
Old 13-08-2015, 03:40 PM   #17
cram_it_frog
wombat

impatience true but still like todays post "Young driver madness." is a similar thing

the guy is a idiot in my book

Life is full of experiences some good some bad and with luck they all balance out in the end

What Ford s have I owned

Old 13-08-2015, 03:57 PM   #18
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

according to VicPol web site
Quote:
The driver of the vehicle, a 23-year-old male disqualified L plater from Coburg, has been taken into custody.
Old 13-08-2015, 04:08 PM   #19
cram_it_frog
wombat

23-year-old male disqualified L plate

bit old to be on L plate i might hazard a guess he has lost his license and is getting it back which means he has not learned from his past mistakes

I am only guessing but if this is so then he really is a idiot

What Ford s have I owned

Old 13-08-2015, 04:10 PM   #20
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
impatience true but still like todays post "Young driver madness." is a similar thing

the guy is a idiot in my book
Perhaps, but its not life endangering like the topic of this thread.

Actually looked like a soccer mum late for school pickup
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Old 13-08-2015, 04:17 PM   #21
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

Quote:
I am only guessing but if this is so then he really is a idiot
regardless of the cause, taking his license away hasn't stopped him being on the road. With an attitude like that, I'm at a loss to see what punishment would work.
Old 13-08-2015, 04:58 PM   #22
XG_Falcon

Reads like an atrocious calamity but I can't comment any further without gathering more information on the incident.
Old 13-08-2015, 05:05 PM   #23
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focused

There is a comma there. The bold part is a description of the young driver added by the editorial and not an observation of the Witness. It doesnt read like ACA or anything such. You have misread it.

OT, I've seen that the law somehow doesn't bear down on Vehicular accidents with the same vigour as other crimes. Lot of Motorcyclists are killed on the roads but since they were an "accident", no matter how negligent, the penalties are quite soft.
Old 13-08-2015, 05:09 PM   #24
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
regardless of the cause, taking his license away hasn't stopped him being on the road. With an attitude like that, I'm at a loss to see what punishment would work.
I can only think that a nice little holiday in bubbas cottage would do the trick. Hopefully this will change his attitude, but going on a proven track record, learning new things may be difficult.
Old 13-08-2015, 05:12 PM   #25
cram_it_frog
wombat

any accident can cause death or worse permanent disability

i know of a mate who rolled a car doing over a 110 ks an hour in the NT and walk away with scratches and six months later a simple rear end accident left him a parapledgic for life

he was doing 60ks an hour

this person is just one of many who have had accidents this year and it keeps going on and on and no one is slowing down when is this trend going to stop

just sit down and think how much car accidents cost the Australian community each and every year and the sadness of so many people loosing family members

we all need to slow down and learn to drive safe

think of the family members you are leaving behind so we should all slow down so what if you get home ten minutes late it better than not getting home

What Ford s have I owned

Old 13-08-2015, 05:12 PM   #26
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I wonder if they create a system for disqualified drivers like the Alcoholiser, installed in cars where a person has been caught drink driving multiple times, that doesn't let the car start unless they give a breath sample. The can create a license that has a chip in it that needs to be inserted prior to the ignition working (the chip is rendered dead/inactive/knows the drive is disqualified).

Last edited by kypez; 13-08-2015 at 05:41 PM.
Old 13-08-2015, 05:51 PM   #27
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
In my view, if your actions result in the death of another, the punishment should fit the crime.

Who cares what his reason is, he was in the wrong lane & caused an innocent death.
Unless it's proven the driver of the car had a heart attack or seizure, then throw that book at him.

Seriously people, would you risk your own life to get to your pregnant partner who's in labour?...& break the law in doing so?
If you said yes to that question then you need to reassess your way of thinking!

We've all seen it 100 times or more, someone wreaks havoc on the innocent in some way or another because THEY are having a bad day!
This why we have police to investigate accidents & courts to deal with these matters not people like you who have one eyed views.
Old 13-08-2015, 05:52 PM   #28
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez View Post
I wonder if they create a system for disqualified drivers like the Alcoholiser, installed in cars where a person has been caught drink driving multiple times, that doesn't let the car start unless they give a breath sample. The can create a license that has a chip in it that needs to be inserted prior to the ignition working (the chip is rendered dead/inactive/knows the drive is disqualified).
Wont matter as that sort will always find another way.. stealing/ borrowing cars etc.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Old 13-08-2015, 08:24 PM   #29
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

The severity of the penalty depends on intent.

Many people are killed by others without intent.

The next thing a victim’s family can hope for is neglect.

If negligence can’t be proven then it’s pure and simple an accident and heaven forbid if we start filling our gaols up because of accidents.

If drugs and alcohol aren’t involved I would think just from the face it and with the witness accounts the prosecution will aim towards negligence and if proven hopefully the sentence is appropriate.
Old 13-08-2015, 08:26 PM   #30
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

some of these youngsters have no idea of the consequences of what can happen in a motor vehicle, just in general driving while in suburbia we all occasionally break a rule at some stage and 99.9 % of the time it is not dangerous and nothing comes of it ,
but then you come across the odd goose that is not just going over the speed limit , but they are driving like lunatics ................ and the best way to describe them is an accident going somewhere to happen , and no amount of road rules or speed cameras or roaming police patrols will help these individuals .
i`ve gone all week without seeing any dipsticks, but today i had two driving like the only word that comes to mind is *********.

The first one was black and white ve commodore , white with black stripes and it was supercharged v8 pov pack by the look of it,

it was peak hour and the traffic was down to about 20 or 30 k`s as i was turning onto grimshaw st, this bloke was behind me and driving erratically, doing burnouts in the traffic , at one stage he actually tried to over take me while the road was in car park mode, hes getting the back end sliding out at 20 kph , he eventually changed lanes and we stopped at the lights , i looked at the profile,
it was a young bloke that looked about 19, bearded with funny hat, he continued on and i didnt see him again.
a couple of hours later heading in the opposite direction i was in traffic in somerton road and saw a blue au falcon half a dozen cars ahead of me doing the most incredible weaving/swerving in and out of traffic ...... another accident looking for a place to happen.
Rules and regulations will not make a difference to some of these people , they have to learn the hard way unfortunately .
3 users like this post:
Closed Thread