Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-07-2016, 03:37 PM   #1
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default How long will oil stay so cheap?

Petrol prices are back down near the $1.00 per litre mark again which is just fantastic at the moment.

I am wondering how long all this cheap crude oil is going to last?

Will it be 6months or a year or will it stay as cheap as it is for many years ahead?

Would be great news if its going to stay at rock bottom for a few years!
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2016, 03:39 PM   #2
Trump
bitch lasagne

Default Re: How long will oil stay so cheap?

As long as the US is pumping record amounts of shale oil, they will stay low.

Scaled Business Solutions
For Your Small Business IT Needs
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-07-2016, 03:48 PM   #3
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

I notice that Iraqi government forces just declared that they've won a key battle against ISIS for the reclamation of Fallujah.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2016, 04:53 PM   #4
wozman

$118.8 here
wozman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2016, 07:14 PM   #5
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wozman View Post
$118.8 here
I just filled up with E10 @$1.02 per litre.

Cant believe how cheap petrol AND diesel are still.

Too good to be true!
Old 12-07-2016, 07:31 PM   #6
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wozman View Post
$118.8 here
can find ulp @ around 1.07 here tomorrow

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2016, 09:03 PM   #7
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We were told in the seventies that the oil would "all be gone" by the late 1990's. Then in the eighties we were told "by shortly after 2000" it would all be gone.
Now we're well into the start of the 21st century and there's no end in sight...constant new discoveries are being made, oil that was once unrecoverable is now easily extracted, cars are more and more fuel efficient and powerful than we ever imagined.

Not to mention...what do people think powers world commerce going all over the globe in massive container ships and air freight? Hint: it's not unicorn flatulence and fairy dust...

Without even getting into the worlds "virtually inexhaustible" supplies of coal...many centuries worth just under Queensland even taking into account increasing future demand. Coal can be processed into fuel as well.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 12-07-2016, 09:50 PM   #8
Qwerty321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pretty much what 2011G6E said. Humanity is going to keep churning out oil (natural or synthetic) from literally every nook and cranny until global warming has this planet looking like Mars, and when that day comes we'll all either be living in some futuristic dome cities or colonising other planets and extracting their resources.

I think oil will remain "cheap" for a while to come. The thing with oil is as the price goes up, sales goes down, and the free market is going to strike the perfect balance that gives the companies the largest profit. So ultimately oil's going to end up teetering on that exact price where we'll all complain about it, but it's not costly enough to stop the general mainstream public buying it and using it. Of course accounting for inflation, the price will always go up, just our salaries will go up to match it.

"If in doubt, flat out" - Colin McRae
"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you"
"Cheap, fast and reliable. Pick Two"

Qwerty321 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2016, 12:53 AM   #9
Madaya
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

With the expansion into main stream renewables, electric cars etc. Oil may be cheap forever. That does not mean you will be allowed to drive your car on a road forever.
2010 FG XR6 I6 CC Ute, Nitro colour. lsd, sports suspension, Ford 18's fitted with Michelin Primacy 3 ST 245x45x18, MW Quick Shifter, Pacemaker 4500 Extractors, Carbuilders Soundproofing, KPM Street Fighter CAI
Madaya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2016, 12:47 PM   #10
Qwerty321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madaya View Post
With the expansion into main stream renewables, electric cars etc. Oil may be cheap forever. That does not mean you will be allowed to drive your car on a road forever.
Doubt it for two reasons. 1) We're a democracy and the government would never do something that would affect the vast majority of the population. If any government in the foreseeable future bans cars then the opposition will promise to repeal that and will certainly win the next election. 2) Car manufacturers and Oil companies are far too powerful and will lobby extremely strongly against such moves.

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Old 13-07-2016, 01:47 PM   #11
anto
Za Dom spremni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty321 View Post
Pretty much what 2011G6E said. Humanity is going to keep churning out oil (natural or synthetic) from literally every nook and cranny until global warming has this planet looking like Mars, and when that day comes we'll all either be living in some futuristic dome cities or colonising other planets and extracting their resources.

I think oil will remain "cheap" for a while to come. The thing with oil is as the price goes up, sales goes down, and the free market is going to strike the perfect balance that gives the companies the largest profit. So ultimately oil's going to end up teetering on that exact price where we'll all complain about it, but it's not costly enough to stop the general mainstream public buying it and using it. Of course accounting for inflation, the price will always go up, just our salaries will go up to match it.

Didn't you get the memo ? Its Climate change my friend, gotta have all the bases covered
AU III XR8 red ute
anto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2016, 02:15 PM   #12
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Wondering how long LPG prices will stay the way they are. They are at 2007-2008 levels now and seem to be falling. In 2013-14, they became so expensive that gas kits were basically fit for the garbage tip as there was hardly any advantage vs running 91 ULP.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2016, 02:47 PM   #13
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
Wondering how long LPG prices will stay the way they are. They are at 2007-2008 levels now and seem to be falling. In 2013-14, they became so expensive that gas kits were basically fit for the garbage tip as there was hardly any advantage vs running 91 ULP.
Yes bulk propane and butane prices are presently the cheapest they have ever been in the last 10 years.

Pump price for LPG should be around the 40c mark but for some reason its not?

And with petrol/diesel being so cheap at the moment its surely not doing the LPG industry any favours.

Oh well i'm just happy that thers so much crude oil available as I presently drive a BF I6 which is great on fuel anyways but i still like cheap petrol.
Old 13-07-2016, 04:06 PM   #14
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by anto View Post
Didn't you get the memo ? Its Climate change my friend, gotta have all the bases covered
I like to point out to the latte sipping nancy boys that 'climate change' was once referred to as Summer, Autumn, Winter and Spring.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 13-07-2016, 06:17 PM   #15
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Doubt it for two reasons. 1) We're a democracy and the government would never do something that would affect the vast majority of the population. If any government in the foreseeable future bans cars then the opposition will promise to repeal that and will certainly win the next election. 2) Car manufacturers and Oil companies are far too powerful and will lobby extremely strongly against such moves.

It might work in tightly packed countries which actually DO have an urban traffic problem...large cities in the USA, big swaths of Asia, places in Europe, etc...however in vast empty Australia private car ownership is a necessity.
won't happen here.
Although idiots have tried to tell people in remote areas that "public transport can cut down private car usage" and is the definite way of the future.
Old 13-07-2016, 07:14 PM   #16
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

O.k so it sounds like the entire planet has cheap petrol/diesel for many years to come.......Yeehaa.

That really makes me happy.

And ye climate change is just a load of bollocks!!!
Old 13-07-2016, 11:56 PM   #17
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Paid $1.45 in Sydney this afternoon, so the answer to the thread title is "one day". Time to close the thread!
Old 13-07-2016, 11:58 PM   #18
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Might want to have a look at some facts the climate scientists haven't cherry picked. This graph shows atmospheric CO2 versus volcanic activity. Notice that currently we are basically at the lowest atmospheric carbon level in the earths history. Even NASA agrees that the little tiny bump over the past century has sped up the growth of plants. Now if only we could stop cutting down the plants.

http://imgur.com/HdYFl8k
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2016, 12:41 AM   #19
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If this is going to turn into a global warming thread please hang on while I go and get the popcorn!
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2016, 08:58 AM   #20
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And just think...as cars get more and more efficient, using less and less petrol (and therefore oil), there's going to be more fuel left over for those of us with old cars and bikes.

Interestingly, there are also reserves of oil we "ignore" because of their location.
Back in the early eighties when Joh was in power in Queensland, a French company was allowed to do exploratory seismic surveys on the continental shelf out on the other side of the Barrier Reef. This was quickly squashed by Greenpeace and green activists who got a federal injunction out against it...partly this is what led to the Reef being declared a World Heritage site.
Anyway, after the French were stopped, they reported there was every indication of vast oil reserves out there...which is kind of where you usually find oil, on the edge of continental shelves as in other places around the world with offshore drilling platforms.

It's there...just waiting for the world to need it badly enough to tell Greenpeace to bugger off...
Old 14-07-2016, 01:36 PM   #21
Qwerty321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford View Post
Paid $1.45 in Sydney this afternoon, so the answer to the thread title is "one day". Time to close the thread!
I consider anything less than $2 a little to be cheap. I still remember when I got my first car and started driving 3 years ago the price of 91 octane was about $2.10 a litre and my ol Lexus insisted on atleast 95 octane. Considering the servos in my neighbourhood only did 91 or 98, I was forking out about $150 for a full tank and that doesn't last very long when you have a 3L V6 that loves the high revs 😂

Old 14-07-2016, 02:24 PM   #22
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Pretty much what 2011G6E said. Humanity is going to keep churning out oil (natural or synthetic) from literally every nook and cranny until global warming has this planet looking like Mars
The tech exists now to turn atmospheric CO2 into hydrocarbons using solar power. Renewable petroleum.... Its just a matter of scaling up.

The moment the major car companies start offering their own electric vehicles at something less than Tesla's boutique pricing, the market for petrol-powered cars will be on a downward slide. You'll know we're at this point when Coles/Woolies get out of the petrol game.
b0son is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-07-2016, 07:28 PM   #23
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Listening to a podcast today of the ABC Science Show. It was one from a couple of years back, talking about using engineered blue-green algae to produce oil. It's pretty basic, easily done, and can be done on a huge scale quite easily. Algae already converts atmospheric CO2 into oxygen and sequesters the carbon. A simple modification to these simple life forms means they can form other long chain carbon molecules...like the ones in crude oil.

So win-win...gets rid of excess CO2 in the air, creates more oxygen, and as a byproduct it makes crude oil...

Forget solar and wind...this is the future...
2 users like this post:
Old 15-07-2016, 05:54 PM   #24
Hardtopxb
Once PHASED.

The Arab suppliers need to sell oil at whatever price they can affordably sustain. At the moment the price per barrel is low because of supply outside of the middle east.. Period.
Old 15-07-2016, 06:27 PM   #25
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardtopxb View Post
The Arab suppliers need to sell oil at whatever price they can affordably sustain. At the moment the price per barrel is low because of supply outside of the middle east.. Period.
Some politicking going on there? Is this largely US oil?
b0son is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2016, 05:50 PM   #26
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ULP has just jumped 30c per litre overnight in Melbourne.

Its now around $1.30 per litre.

Anyone know why this has happened?
Old 23-07-2016, 02:48 PM   #27
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I used to always think when hearing the doom stories about oil that it will price us motorists out of owning a car , but .......... there is absolutely no value in it for oil/fuel companies if people stop buying their product , and as the world economy imo is teetering on the knifes edge of recession imo once again , and also there is a lot of uncertainty around the globe which can lead people to keep saving pennys rather than spending them on unnecessary stuff like travel , etc ,etc , i doubt that we will see the bad old days of near $ 2.00 a litre for some time , unless some out of the ordinary event occurs .
That is my take on it anyway .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2016, 05:11 PM   #28
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
Some politicking going on there? Is this largely US oil?
No, they just think it is.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2016, 07:52 PM   #29
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
I used to always think when hearing the doom stories about oil that it will price us motorists out of owning a car , but .......... there is absolutely no value in it for oil/fuel companies if people stop buying their product , and as the world economy imo is teetering on the knifes edge of recession imo once again , and also there is a lot of uncertainty around the globe which can lead people to keep saving pennys rather than spending them on unnecessary stuff like travel , etc ,etc , i doubt that we will see the bad old days of near $ 2.00 a litre for some time , unless some out of the ordinary event occurs .
That is my take on it anyway .
Yes the world is on the edge of a global wide recession.

Thats why i was so surprised at the present 30c per litre jump for ULP.

Hopefully it does'nt last very long and we will be back at $1.00pl very soon?
Old 05-08-2016, 01:23 AM   #30
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cant remember petrol prices being this cheap for a while now. Most stations around Adelaide have unleaded around the 93 cents a litre, and Costco has it down to 87 cents a litre. With excise and GST accounting for about 49 cents a litre, they are just about giving it away these days.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post