Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 17-04-2020, 10:20 AM   #1741
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by superyob
Totally agree. Unfortunately, you cop the most flak when you are over the target and at odds with an official narrative that demands its adherents' total obeisance. Your detractors are obviously ok with having future generations pay off the eye watering amount of 'free' money handed out like confetti, and the insidiously noxious conditions attached to its borrowing. So long as they're OK Jack...
Sometimes I really wonder. No-one is happy with the level of debt that is being engendered by this or the broader ramifications of that debt but please tell us, oh wise one, what you would have done differently?

Quote:
I don't have any special knowledge or intuition about anything more complex than a carton of beer. The pile on resulting from the comments that I highlighted however was little more than screeching about 'Look how virtuous I am...'
It has nothign to do with virtue - it simply has to do with plain and simple 'humanity'. Look it up next time you get you get a chance.

Mind you, the first part of that sentence is the first thing you've said on this forum that I can agree with so thanks for that.

Observatio Facta Rotae

4 users like this post:
Old 17-04-2020, 10:20 AM   #1742
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
Agree with the mixed messages... but at least were are partly open for business in Australia. I'd rather this than full lockdown like in NZ... and to my mind the results here are pretty good in comparison to NZ.
the results are almost identical which is interesting? considering the different approaches
Up until a week or so we only had one death ....but then an unfortunate out break in a rest home created a few more
It will be interesting to see how it pans out as we come out of lockdown , im just pleased we're not taking the Trump approach where it looks like 2000 deaths seams to be there latest average per day

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
Old 17-04-2020, 10:27 AM   #1743
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

One of the things I've been looking at is the considerably different impacts this outbreak is having around the world.

Based on 2018 numbers, Oceania (us) has 0.51% of the global population so our 0.37% of the global cases is close to par but the 0.05% of fatalities is well ahead of the curve.

Conversely, North America has only 7.6% of the population but 33.18% of the cases and 25.2% of the deaths.

Africa is faring best. They have 16.1% of the world population but only 0.87% of the cases and 0.67% of the deaths although that's probably under-reported.

The graph below shows those numbers by Continent.

Observatio Facta Rotae

6 users like this post:
Old 17-04-2020, 10:34 AM   #1744
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U View Post
I don’t think it’s really that cut and dry,
Agree, but I was using similar extreme viewpoints as the counter argument.

Australians have been paying off debt for decades. Some people use emotive language to suggest the future generations will somehow have it tougher in this regard.

What is the alternative? It's all about risk management and it would appear some people would rather gamble with people's lives than with money.

Yes, the death rate in Australia is very low and there are a range of reasons for that but that shouldn't take away from the fact that the virus has the potential to be quite deadly as seen in other countries.
Old 17-04-2020, 11:03 AM   #1745
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Outside of local regulation, two stories slowly hitting MSM currently being that there is evidence building that the virus was indeed released likely by accident from the Wuhan lab and that CCP and the WHO’s immediate actions now look even worse than in initial optics.

For a in depth review at this possibility, check out the investigative piece that was posted earlier in this thread by Franco Cozzo.

Secondly, that Hydroxychloroquine combined with one other drug in a French study of 1,000 patients had a success rate of 98% of totally eliminating the virus there was a short briefing on Fox News yesterday that came across my news feed, now there will be multiple blind trials of the same in the US to check for efficiency.

While waiting for a safe vaccine that will likely not be available for 18+ months it’s good to know there are some possible treatments being discovered.
2 users like this post:
Old 17-04-2020, 11:10 AM   #1746
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

A couple more graphs. These are based on the percentages of the adult population and show the case rates and mortality rates per 100,000 adults for Australia, NZ, UK and USA.

Notable that the case rates see Australia and NZ very similar and about par with the global rate while the mortality rates for those two countries are well below the global rate.

Observatio Facta Rotae

8 users like this post:
Old 17-04-2020, 11:27 AM   #1747
superyob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
Sometimes I really wonder. No-one is happy with the level of debt that is being engendered by this or the broader ramifications of that debt but please tell us, oh wise one, what you would have done differently?

It has nothign to do with virtue - it simply has to do with plain and simple 'humanity'. Look it up next time you get you get a chance.

Mind you, the first part of that sentence is the first thing you've said on this forum that I can agree with so thanks for that.
As the director of a large internet forum, I know that you have to toe the globalist line but to suggest I know nothing of 'humanity', because I argue against the blatantly communist response to the virus, is a stretch, even for you...
Old 17-04-2020, 11:31 AM   #1748
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
Will vaccine testing undergo the gold standard double blind randomised placebo based testing, or will it be tested against another vaccine like all these biologicals are treated?

Chances are, I'd probably have natural immunity to this virus before this vaccine is available.
I believe that there's a couple of Cruise ships you could test you theory on

Last edited by GasoLane; 17-04-2020 at 12:32 PM. Reason: The typo fairy struck again.
This user likes this post:
Old 17-04-2020, 11:34 AM   #1749
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've never felt like this ever ...I've never had anxiety like i have today . My sense of humour is disappearing as hard as I try for it not to . I've been looking out the window , it's blowing a gale , freezing cold , stuff all to do other than venting my spleen here , sick of watching movies , can't even be bothered mucking around with something on the model railway , TV channels just full of virus crap which is part of the trouble and I can't even go anywhere to break the monotony of the past week ....It's the most miserable sensation I can ever recall .

I'll say it again...I understand why we're doing this . I have to get used to it like everybody else does but we're all different and we react in different ways . I guess I'll get the obligatory rejections of my opinions like I regularly do but I don't really care .

I'm sorry if this sounds racist to some of you but I'm right now hating the Chinese Government for basically causing this pandemic and I'm ashamed that we keep cowtowing to them .

A lesson learned out of all this Mr Morrison ...Tell China that maybe we need to downstream process more of our natural resources and not be so damn reliant on trade with them . If us and a few other nations did the same thing they just might start to learn to jump on their horrible live animal practices including their pig industry and take more stock of ramifications of the archaic treatments they force their low income citizens to do . to survive .

Same applies to a few other Asian nations too in regard to wet markets , not just China .

Why can't we take control of our own destiny more and not being so afraid to send messages to countries like China that they really stuffed up and they need to learn from all this ..So do we .

Another thing ..One day we'll run out of our resources and do you think China will give a rats about us after that happens . Not on your nelly .
They'll wipe us like a dirty bum and move on like locusts do when the resources are exhausted .

The Chinese Government (not the poor people) can go and get stuffed for all I care .

Rant ended...
Old 17-04-2020, 11:36 AM   #1750
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooDog View Post
Whats to pay off the whole worlds in deep s$$t .....just another few trillion in debt .......maybe they could hit the reset button ?
Wouldn't surprise Me If the "Donald" doesn't try This way Out.....
Old 17-04-2020, 11:39 AM   #1751
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

I believe most rational thinking business/capitalist people do harbor the thought is ~200 lives or whatever that count will/may be; is that worth the billions that have been spent. I am certainly one of them.

If the system could of handled it then you could argue perhaps not, but it all changes when it hits someone from YOUR family. If this was "just a flu" then we would have ridden through it with no chance but alas its not so here we are.

For those who are so adament the controls were not a good idea please select someone from your family you are willing to sacrafice.

What I would like to see is a planned relaxation of the rules in regional areas. I look at my situation in a small rural town and if school doesn't return in 1.5 weeks time I will be shaking my head.

Heavily populated areas are a different story and need a different approach but that in itself is harder to manage.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
4 users like this post:
Old 17-04-2020, 11:40 AM   #1752
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
I've never felt like this ever ...I've never had anxiety like i have today . My sense of humour is disappearing as hard as I try for it not to . I've been looking out the window , it's blowing a gale , freezing cold , stuff all to do other than venting my spleen here , sick of watching movies , can't even be bothered mucking around with something on the model railway , TV channels just full of virus crap which is part of the trouble and I can't even go anywhere to break the monotony of the past week ....It's the most miserable sensation I can ever recall .

I'll say it again...I understand why we're doing this . I have to get used to it like everybody else does but we're all different and we react in different ways . I guess I'll get the obligatory rejections of my opinions like I regularly do but I don't really care .

I'm sorry if this sounds racist to some of you but I'm right now hating the Chinese Government for basically causing this pandemic and I'm ashamed that we keep cowtowing to them .

A lesson learned out of all this Mr Morrison ...Tell China that maybe we need to downstream process more of our natural resources and not be so damn reliant on trade with them . If us and a few other nations did the same thing they just might start to learn to jump on their horrible live animal practices including their pig industry and take more stock of ramifications of the archaic treatments they force their low income citizens to do . to survive .

Same applies to a few other Asian nations too in regard to wet markets , not just China .

Why can't we take control of our own destiny more and not being so afraid to send messages to countries like China that they really stuffed up and they need to learn from all this ..So do we .

Another thing ..One day we'll run out of our resources and do you think China will give a rats about us after that happens . Not on your nelly .
They'll wipe us like a dirty bum and move on like locusts do when the resources are exhausted .

The Chinese Government (not the poor people) can go and get stuffed for all I care .

Rant ended...
How would Tasmania fair if it told the mainland to jump off a cliff?

We definitely need to do more with our partners in the region.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 17-04-2020, 11:43 AM   #1753
PhilT2

Quote:
but please tell us, oh wise one, what you would have done differently?
I'd be keen to hear that too.
Old 17-04-2020, 11:45 AM   #1754
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Quote:
For those who are so adament the controls were not a good idea please select someone from your family you are willing to sacrafice.
Without a moment’s hesitation, my father could go.
My own skill set is not unique, but the assemblage is unusual and valuable to some. It doesn’t remove the fact of ultimately being expendable - net result would be variable degrees of inconvenience to others.
My younger brother performs a rôle employing long term experience and multiple qualifications that is relevant to the country at a core level, so he has a higher intrinsic value.

Last edited by Citroënbender; 17-04-2020 at 11:51 AM.
Old 17-04-2020, 11:47 AM   #1755
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by superyob View Post
As the director of a large internet forum, I know that you have to toe the globalist line but to suggest I know nothing of 'humanity', because I argue against the blatantly communist response to the virus, is a stretch, even for you...
I hear that this forum is funded by the deep state and big pharma....

I'm going to upload a youtube video shortly and blow the lid on this.
Old 17-04-2020, 11:58 AM   #1756
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why is the UK doing soo badly?

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
Old 17-04-2020, 12:06 PM   #1757
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I’m wondering that too. Are some genotypes more susceptible? Is their overall level of personal health, more precipitous?

The alleged omission of nursing home fatalities is potentially a further uptick in total deaths they’ve logged.
Old 17-04-2020, 12:22 PM   #1758
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
I hear that this forum is funded by the deep state and big pharma....

I'm going to upload a youtube video shortly and blow the lid on this.
Bugger. Finally caught out

Quote:
Globalist line? I'm a humanitarian and make no apologies for it and how you manage to stretch the response into Communism is mind numbing... even by your standards. Keep going sunshine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai
I suspect they'd like to know that too. While the fatalities as a percentage of cases; currently 13.3% (Australia 0.97%) could be explained by their relatively low 0.83% of testing compared to Australia's 2.3%; it is still twice the global average of 6.67%.

However, the case and fatality rates per 100k pax numbers make the testing percentage irrelevant. Indeed it is more likely that if they lifted their testing percentage to a similar level as us that they would identify more cases among those ~700k extra tests.

At 26.4 fatalities per 100k the only positive is that the UK case rate is lower than the USA.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 17-04-2020, 12:24 PM   #1759
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
How would Tasmania fair if it told the mainland to jump off a cliff?

We definitely need to do more with our partners in the region.
And your point is...........Last time I looked Tasmania is part of the Commonwealth of Australia...not another country like China is ..

By the way I'm not saying we don't trade with China at all , that'd be stupid but why do we really need to be SO reliant on selling off so much to them and others natural resources rather than being a tad more self sufficient . At least we should look at trying to be a bit more protectionist of our resources while we still can . Real fears with bugger all manufacturing , no resources to speak of we'll eventually be a lame duck .

China has yet to convince me (but who cares about that ) that it's not all about them ultimately .

Last edited by roddy1960; 17-04-2020 at 12:41 PM.
Old 17-04-2020, 12:43 PM   #1760
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a Cousin who lives in Ontario, Canada. The population there is roughly 50% of Australia's.

As reported at Johns Hopkins CV19 site they currently have a confirmed infection rate about 1.5 times ours (9840) and a death rate almost 8 times ours (490).

But he hasn't lost his sense of humour (and he and his wife are definitely right in the risk category, both post 70 years and she has Parkinsons with the cocktail of medication that that entails), here is what he sent to me:

There isn't any iceberg.
There was an iceberg but it's in a totally different ocean.
The iceberg is in this ocean but it will melt very soon.
There is an iceberg but we didn't hit the iceberg.
We hit the iceberg, but the damage will be repaired very shortly.
The iceberg is a Chinese iceberg.
We are taking on water but every passenger who wants a lifeboat can get a lifeboat, and they are beautiful lifeboats.
Look, passengers need to ask nicely for the lifeboats if they want them.
We don't have any lifeboats, we're not lifeboat distributors.
Passengers should have planned for icebergs and brought their own lifeboats.
I really don't think we need that many lifeboats.
We have lifeboats and they're supposed to be our lifeboats, not the passengers' lifeboats.
The lifeboats were left on shore by the last captain of this ship.
Nobody could have foreseen the iceberg.

Yep. I know it's off topic, but I thought it might bring a bit of humour into the discussion.

Hey Russell - how many members can I pop onto my "ignore" list?

And I wish people would stop quoting those that are already there.

Cheers

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

6 users like this post:
Old 17-04-2020, 12:48 PM   #1761
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
And your point is...........Last time I looked Tasmania is part of the Commonwealth of Australia...not another country like China is ..
Australia is the worlds Tasmania.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 17-04-2020, 12:50 PM   #1762
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
At 26.4 fatalities per 100k the only positive is that the UK case rate is lower than the USA.
Based on your graphs UK has 26.40 deaths per 100K population.

USA has 16.52 deaths per 100K population.

So the UK has some 60% higher death rate per 100K than USA, which is not doing so great itself.

This is a staggeringly horrific stat for the UK.

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender

Last edited by asagaai; 17-04-2020 at 01:12 PM.
Old 17-04-2020, 12:54 PM   #1763
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post
Are any of youse blokes on here in this picture?

That bloke up the back, tartan shirt, hands in pockets looking menacing.

I bet he's wearing an Everlast singlet under that disguise, ready to rip his guns out..
2 users like this post:
Old 17-04-2020, 01:02 PM   #1764
Trendseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post
Here’s an article from a SMH journalist based in the UK who contracted the virus. The causes are their initial response, low testing and overloaded hospitals.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe/...15-p54juk.html
Old 17-04-2020, 01:07 PM   #1765
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
Not everyone is out of work. There are plenty of people still working where personal grooming is important to their job.

Even if not working, we aren't expected to all look like Robinson Crusoe.

As mentioned earlier, stop looking for loopholes and issues.
Where the hell was I looking for loopholes?

I'm happy staying at home. Love your fake outrage though.

We can't all be government lapdogs. They get it wrong just as much as they get it right. Only the truly weak accept everything their government puts to them.
2 users like this post:
Old 17-04-2020, 01:11 PM   #1766
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
We're here for you Brother, we might all deal with it differently, but we'll get through it together.
4 users like this post:
Old 17-04-2020, 01:11 PM   #1767
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Where the hell was I looking for loopholes?

I'm happy staying at home. Love your fake outrage though.

We can't all be government lapdogs. They get it wrong just as much as they get it right. Only the truly weak accept everything their government puts to them.
Quit your job, become a politician and do a better job. You claim they don't set the bar very high so should be easy. Go make a difference.
Old 17-04-2020, 01:16 PM   #1768
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Quit your job, become a politician and do a better job. You claim they don't set the bar very high so should be easy. Go make a difference.
Maybe you should. You'd fit right in. Yes Scomo, whatever you say Scomo

Like it's that simple
Old 17-04-2020, 01:19 PM   #1769
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post
I believe in the initial stages they went with isolating the vulnerable and letting it rip through the remaining population, then their health system realised it couldn't cope but it was too late to turn back.

If you look at it, Italy, the UK and the US all took different approaches, yet the common theme was that there was little concern, Italy wanted everyone to kiss a Chinese person, the UK thought they could handle it amongst the population and Trump said it was a hoax, history shows they couldn't have been further from the truth, whilst good old Australia, deep in debt for generations so we're told, has managed to keep it to a minimum, with respect to those who've paid the price.
I'll take the lockdown and associated debt thanks.

Last edited by BENT_8; 17-04-2020 at 01:25 PM.
8 users like this post:
Old 17-04-2020, 01:21 PM   #1770
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Maybe you should. You'd fit right in. Yes Scomo, whatever you say Scomo

Like it's that simple
You're right, it's not simple, which is why I don't see the need to criticize every decision.
Closed Thread