Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 17-10-2006, 09:27 AM   #61
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by proma
Casper your car has had vernier gears fitted,that means it's opened?
This just shows how much C37P this unopened business is.

All VCT engines come with a vernier gear stock.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2006, 09:58 AM   #62
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They come with an adjustable verneir gear stock?
Old 17-10-2006, 10:02 AM   #63
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
they do.. but its not running a stock engine. Its been opened in a big way.
For low-13s and high 12's a full engine rebuild is needed. I know of a certain EL Fairmont that is looking at high 12s at the moment ... still getting tuned at the moment ... and yes ... N/A ... but manual.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2006, 10:03 AM   #64
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansedgli
They come with an adjustable verneir gear stock?
Yes. Its built into the VCT mechanism. All VCT's have factory fitted adjustable vernier gear. Its something I'll be looking at utalising soon too. The cam is at factory settings at the moment but I would like to try adjusting it to see if any improvements can be made. The issue is any adjustment of the cam affects the VCT movement which means it may gain in some areas but lose in others.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2006, 10:05 AM   #65
OED666
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Sorry, and it's not that I don't believe you or anything, but what real compromises do you make or little things do you tell to yourself to determine that it is "completely streetable"?
its easy to drive, not a real pig at all. who in brisbane wants to have a drive of my car... (i might see a few hands now. :P)
Old 17-10-2006, 10:17 AM   #66
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by OED666
its easy to drive, not a real pig at all. who in brisbane wants to have a drive of my car... (i might see a few hands now. :P)
I agree with OED ... his cam is large but it is tuned correctly and idles as sweet as a button..Same goes for shifter and clutch selection.. Brisbane only has 3 major 100km/h zones . The gateway, Western Freeway and the m1 to the coast so unless you frequent those roads the diff gears are not an issue.. My car is way more 'streetable' with the 3.7's than it was with the 3.08 or 3.45. Brisbane traffic is no where near as painfull as some places so even flicking the stick on a manual isn't a huge drama even in peak hour

I dont think 'streetable' on the i6 from an engine point of view is really a problem, it is more where you go in relation to the posted limits and how many rpm you cruise at.

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2006, 10:21 AM   #67
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Hence why i am interested in going from 3.23s to 3.7s in the ute with the auto ... I see more metro driving .... with some highway (80-90km/h) cruising as well ... more than freeways ... so I'd see the benefit in shorter gears.
Old 17-10-2006, 10:25 AM   #68
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper_
You have had your cams degreed,so it's opened.Don't ban me like the others :

Hmm, who is this guy?

Whats the deal Casper? Any truth to what he is saying?
Old 17-10-2006, 10:26 AM   #69
wow

Quote:
Hmm, who is this guy?

Sure is mate he will ban you if you don't agree with him just watch :
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2006, 10:30 AM   #70
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How do you know this stuff?
Old 17-10-2006, 10:30 AM   #71
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Well .. if a cam has been degreed to suit driving style or transmission (getting the most power out of the range available) ... then the rocker cover has to at least come off.

Several people have had to have the engine opened ... mainly to get the rocker cover gasket or head gasket replaced ... not to have mods added too.

it's hard to put a demarcation point of the term "unopened" when it comes to mods really.
Old 17-10-2006, 10:32 AM   #72
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
Well .. if a cam has been degreed to suit driving style or transmission (getting the most power out of the range available) ... then the rocker cover has to at least come off.

Several people have had to have the engine opened ... mainly to get the rocker cover gasket or head gasket replaced ... not to have mods added too.

it's hard to put a demarcation point of the term "unopened" when it comes to mods really.
yep.. mines opened.. I took the rocker cover off to paint it...

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2006, 10:34 AM   #73
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Obviously changes would have to be made to increase performance from standard. Fixing a leak wouldnt mean your engine is opened.
Old 17-10-2006, 10:35 AM   #74
Mr_4.0
What Wheelspin?

im aiming for a 13 in my car when its done. mods will be all thats in my sig, plus im changing valve springs, going for a better tune, and goin to run the crow 2222546.
fingers crossed!

2003 BA Xr6 Turbo (Atomic Long, DTM auto, Nizpro stage2 kit, eaton truetrac, E85, HeadsexTuned)
Mr_4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2006, 10:36 AM   #75
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Hmm, who is this guy?

It is Alex. He is a banned user with a grudge. He doesnt know. And yes, he will be banned. If not by me than by the entire mod/admin team.

No, there is no truth to what he is saying. The only time the rocker cover has been off my car is at JMM's where brenden put a guage on the cam so see what the factory specs were. When he found the cam was exactly where the specs said it should be no adjustment was made and the rocker cover was replaced. Nothing was changed.
As to if I will change the cam alignment, you bet I will. As I said, it is high on the list now to see if an adjustment will improve the ET's and I hopefully will get it done over the Xmas break. I have no need to hide it as I am looking forward to seeing if it will make a difference, and if it does, posting it up for othe VCT owners to see. Honestly, if I could get it done tomorrow I would.

Old 17-10-2006, 02:36 PM   #76
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
Not true, theres a few of us running unopened 14's. DeathXR and Stiddy in their manuals, mine and originally Hamo in autos, probably a few others. Neither DeathXR, Stiddy, Hamo or myself had changed the engines in any way to run 14's.

Tripower is running a 14.2 with stock head and cam (although the cam has been adjusted and vernier gear added so it is opened now) as well. 14's is very possible on an unopened and/or stock cam/headed AU I6's.
14s yes, but I said UNDER 14.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2006, 02:45 PM   #77
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I should clarify that I reckon it's great to get an I6 (especially the heavier AU) into the 13s. I'm just not convinced that it could be used as a daily driver AND on the highway with reasonable fuel consumption etc. ie, it would never really be a family car again. Now for most, this would be fine. But not where the primary purpose of the car is as a family car.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2006, 02:52 PM   #78
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
I should clarify that I reckon it's great to get an I6 (especially the heavier AU) into the 13s. I'm just not convinced that it could be used as a daily driver AND on the highway with reasonable fuel consumption etc. ie, it would never really be a family car again. Now for most, this would be fine. But not where the primary purpose of the car is as a family car.
I agree. It "could" be quite streetable and easy to drive but, as an economic and practical family car/highway cruiser, no, I dont think so. I've already found that for just mundane trips to the shops etc, I prefer to drive the Kia these days. If anything simply because its cheaper on fuel, doesnt show up scratches as much and every ******** doesnt want to race you. It certainly isnt a family car anymore.. but to me its still very streetable.

Old 17-10-2006, 03:52 PM   #79
OED666
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what is the weight an AU in the owners manual. on the redbook site, there is 4kgs difference between manual ED's and manual AU's. :S