Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-01-2009, 11:33 AM   #1
Jondalar
Formely FG G6E Turbo

Default Giving GT's a bad name!

I have to tell you guys about this because I seriously could not believe it. On the Bruce Highway southbound this morning there was an FG GT in Black with Gold stripes, personalised plates with "rain" in the middle of two other letters. The driver was sitting in the far right lane km after km at 95-98 and never moved over, especially when not passing. :

Even if it was being run in, the HOG the fast lane and refuse to move over is extremely bad even for an old Morris 1100, but I'd have thought a GT driver should've had more sense by far!

Old 07-01-2009, 11:37 AM   #2
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar
I'd have thought a GT driver should've had more sense by far!
Why ?

Being a inconsiderate road user has no bearing on what type/make of vehicle you drive.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2009, 11:47 AM   #3
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

another case of too fast or too slow... There's probably going to be an argument as to which is more unsafe...either way he probably shouldn't have done that.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2009, 11:53 AM   #4
jcxr
Tribal Elder

Was the first letter "B" and the last letter"S"?
jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2009, 11:58 AM   #5
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

bad driving doesnt come with the car.. actually.. i take that back - the camry has proved me wrong time and time again..
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2009, 11:59 AM   #6
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

We all know GTs are slow anyway

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2009, 12:04 PM   #7
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE
Why ?

Being a inconsiderate road user has no bearing on what type/make of vehicle you drive.
No, but being a Queenslander does. Sitting in the right hand lane is a QLD thing, having lived in Syd/Melb/ACT I have noticed it but not to the extent of QLD. Drives me nuts... then I remember that I live in QLD and should not let such trivial things ruin my day
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2009, 12:17 PM   #8
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE
Why ?

QUOTED FOR TRUTH.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:17 PM   #9
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar
I have to tell you guys about this because I seriously could not believe it. On the Bruce Highway southbound this morning there was an FG GT in Black with Gold stripes, personalised plates with "rain" in the middle of two other letters. The driver was sitting in the far right lane km after km at 95-98 and never moved over, especially when not passing. :

Even if it was being run in, the HOG the fast lane and refuse to move over is extremely bad even for an old Morris 1100, but I'd have thought a GT driver should've had more sense by far!
He was probably just ignoring you. You have a T6 now.........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2009, 12:20 PM   #10
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

I can go one better.

I let someone drive my GT recently, and a few minutes into the 'experience' I'm like slunk down into the passengers seat (thought about getting into the footwell) because they were in the right lane of a dual lane freeway putting along at 80odd. Speed limit was 100. Plus they were in third gear for about 10 minutes of it. 6 speed box was just a bit much.

We had cars wizzing past in the left lane, horns blasting, arms waving and lights flashing. Tassie drivers are not real patient. And the GT driver goes " christ this thing gets some look doesn't it, everyone's waving at us.......... :togo:

So while I think I maintained some anonimity - the Scud did not. Those number plates will be burnt into some road raging motorists brains for some time me thinks. it was embarrissing.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2009, 12:23 PM   #11
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i would have told him to put the foot down! not good if someone not payin enough attention slams up your behind at 100!
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2009, 12:24 PM   #12
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP006
No, but being a Queenslander does. Sitting in the right hand lane is a QLD thing, having lived in Syd/Melb/ACT I have noticed it but not to the extent of QLD. Drives me nuts... then I remember that I live in QLD and should not let such trivial things ruin my day
Absolutely a pain. Maybe captain bligh could stick up a few of the NSW billboards denoting the fines for failing to keep left instead of the usual stupid stuff she does.

Another problem starting to appear is the 90k fairy. This fairy lives at the bottom of the garden in Main Roads and is running around reducing the speed limits is various areas "for safety" A classic example in the new freeway between Nambour and Maroochydore, 4 lanes, total separation, no junctions yet 90km/h.
Other examples, Ipswich Rd, Nambour Connection, Bruce Hwy from Cooroy to Bells Bridge etc etc.....

In QLD you do not have to keep left on roads under 100km/h.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2009, 12:28 PM   #13
LTDterri
SY TS Territory

We had cars wizzing past in the left lane, horns blasting, arms waving and lights flashing. Tassie drivers are not real patient. And the GT driver goes " christ this thing gets some look doesn't it, everyone's waving at us.......... :togo:

GOLD......no idea...my Father in law is much the same
LTDterri is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2009, 12:34 PM   #14
FTE72
Red is nice Mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist

I have always believed this to be keep left on all roads when not overtaking when posted limit is 90km/h or higher?
TE 50 #72 Blueprint & TS 50 #105 Blueprint
:
FTE72 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2009, 12:54 PM   #15
Jondalar
Formely FG G6E Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist

I totally agree about the stupidly reduced speed limits, but I think you'll find that you can get fined for not keeping left on any road with speed limit over 80 km/h.

Tex I feel your pain!!
Old 07-01-2009, 12:55 PM   #16
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The sooner QLD start putting a fine on for not keeping left the better. Since the implimentation of a fine in NSW this behaviour has declined measurably. I know it hasn't stopped but it has decreased.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:56 PM   #17
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

This is normal for WA, we all know the worst drivers on the planet drive in WA...absolutely shocking...
Old 07-01-2009, 01:07 PM   #18
FTE72
Red is nice Mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun
The sooner QLD start putting a fine on for not keeping left the better. Since the implimentation of a fine in NSW this behaviour has declined measurably. I know it hasn't stopped but it has decreased.
There is, but I believe it is only $60 and 1 point. I have been told by a member of the constabulary that it is a law they do not enforce regularly as it is not deemed as "unsafe" as other "enforcable" offences.
But the most interesting comment from the officer was that if I thought the law should be enforced, then I should write to my local MP and ask that the fine be increased and then it would be worthwhile for them to enforce.

Read into that what you will.
TE 50 #72 Blueprint & TS 50 #105 Blueprint
:
FTE72 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2009, 01:17 PM   #19
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In QLD its keep left unless overtaking on roads 90km/h+, straight from my old driving instructors mouth a few months back.
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2009, 01:21 PM   #20
LowEL2XR8
Mr Impulsive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inducted_Breeze
This is normal for WA, we all know the worst drivers on the planet drive in WA...absolutely shocking...
Amen to that brother!!!

I hate to admit being a WA guy but we certainly have quite a few more toss pots in ratio than any other state.
Mobile phone use while driving with no hands on the wheel while the other hand not holding the phone is grooming their hair. Almost every other car seems to be doing it.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:04 PM   #21
gnasher347

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP006

They do the same thing in Perth to but are usually sitting 10 - 15 k's below the limit unless you go to pass them and then speed up
gnasher347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2009, 02:19 PM   #22
GlenW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnasher347
They do the same thing in Perth to but are usually sitting 10 - 15 k's below the limit unless you go to pass them and then speed up
Come to NZ and drive on a 2 lane highway with someone doing 90 in a 100 zone and then watch them speed up to 110 when they reach a passing lane!!
Drivers here really take it personally when they're overtaken.

There is also the ones who tailgate then overtake and then travel at the same speed. Go figure.
GlenW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2009, 02:46 PM   #23
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE72
I have always believed this to be keep left on all roads when not overtaking when posted limit is 90km/h or higher?
It's technically worded above 80kph or otherwise signposted in NSW (why they don't just say 90 or above is beyond me). I did think it was an Australia wide law though...?
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2009, 02:52 PM   #24
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenW
Come to NZ and drive on a 2 lane highway with someone doing 90 in a 100 zone and then watch them speed up to 110 when they reach a passing lane!!

There is also the ones who tailgate then overtake and then travel at the same speed. Go figure.
I think that's something we share across the pond. It's quite common to have to bury the foot once you reach an overtaking lane on a single lane road due to the car infront speeding up. :
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2009, 02:58 PM   #25
lostdude

theres so many inconsiderate idiots doing below the speed limit on the right hand lane on the m5 every day, the worst part is these idiots will sit on the right hand lane until their exit, then they will attempt to merge across 2 lanes to exit when they could have stayed in the left in the first place :
Old 07-01-2009, 03:14 PM   #26
Jondalar
Formely FG G6E Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenW

Same thing happens here GlenW, very frustrating how you can sit behind them and then have to seriously speed when there's an overtaking lane or you're stuck behind them doing 90 in a 100 zone again once they slow back down.

jcxr first letter was D...
Old 07-01-2009, 03:27 PM   #27
Cappy_Hamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inducted_Breeze
No, Sorry, wrong....

Adelaide wins - hands down.
see the thread about the truckie copping abuse from a motorist caught on phone cam.

Cappy_Hamper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2009, 03:29 PM   #28
BlackLS
yum

Left lane is the new overtaking lane.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2009, 04:07 PM   #29
Steve
torque is your friend

You sure he wasn't a Victorian up there on holiday? Drivers don't know the meaning of the term "keep left" here. Most believe it's their mission to stay in the right lane and hlold as many people up for as long as possible.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:11 PM   #30
irlewy86
Meep Meep

What were you doing in the right lane on the Bruce anyway. Stick in the left and go with the flow, its much faster than dealing with the overtaking lane squatters.