Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-01-2009, 08:20 PM   #1
shane3
FPV GT 0915

Default Eastlink speed camera

Just like to know who has been stung by using Eastlink, I know that the speed cameras are active so I had the GT on cruise control at 100KM/H but it looks like a lot have been done for 108KM/H when they have only been doing 100KM/H (did a Google search).
Also trying to get threw to the people at the 135465 is almost imposable as I'm still waiting on a Bill/fine for using it (Eastlink) 3 weeks ago, gave them all my details and still nothing.

Bluprint BA GT 2004 Model - Mods: Tinted Windows, Premium Sound, BBS Mags, 245/35R19 fronts, 285/30R19 rears, BMC POD Filter, SS cold air induction, HM tri-y headers, Redback cat back system, Herrod power snorkle, moded Herrod helix spacer, 4" ram air induction, More to come..
shane3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2009, 09:27 PM   #2
SVD

not me but my brother had the exact same problem, was on eastlink doing 100 or just below it according to the GPS and he got done by one of them cameras doing 108! he reckons because he's a p plater then there was little point in fighting it so he just payed it, eastlink is very very dodgy...
SVD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2009, 10:47 PM   #3
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Eastlink don't look after the camera's. Its the responsibility of Sarge. Ritchie and his mob.

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2009, 10:54 PM   #4
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Any particular camera or location is suspected dodgy, or in general along the eastlink?

I've been along there a few times now over a fair stretch of it on cruise control at 100 plus correction, and no problems so far.
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2009, 10:54 PM   #5
T1TS50#04
XR 67 IS HEAVEN

yes i was done 3 weeks ago and surprise 108 but with the 2k taken off 106 yes this is to sus....
T1TS50#04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2009, 11:17 PM   #6
Go baby Go
Like no other..........

umm... 3 times in 15 days. : but i did the crime so paid the fines.... all for 108/marked down to 106 in a car with no cruise. Funny thing is one night along it i knew i was going quite quick but didn't get a fine for that.

Since now using it at least 3 times every day in a car with cruise, i haven't been fined. so, it was either the angle of the dangle and just bad luck, or i think more that i was pushing the envelope....

Also, i was talking to a bloke who reckons he uses it every day in his truck to and from work, and has never received a letter in the mail asking for a bill. He doesn;t have an e-tag either so can't explain that one- but he isn't complaining!

A recent study found the average Australian walks about 900 miles a year.
Another study found Australians drink, on average, 22 gallons of alcohol a year.
That means, on average, Australians get about 41 miles to the gallon.

Kind of makes you proud to be an aussie.
Go baby Go is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2009, 11:38 PM   #7
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go baby Go
........ Also, i was talking to a bloke who reckons he uses it every day in his truck to and from work, and has never received a letter in the mail asking for a bill. He doesn;t have an e-tag either so can't explain that one- but he isn't complaining!
They are still having a problem with the cameras picking up 'O' to 'Q' and a few other letters/numbers ......... why? Haven't no idea when City link can manage. We have had a few months tolls suspended for payment because they cant work out what belongs to who! I have found I can drive one of my cars up and down without paying a cent after I have waited for an over due toll invoice for about 5 trips over the last 3 months or so ....

| [/url] |

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 05-01-2009, 12:03 AM   #8
Mr. CVE
If it aint Blown it Sucks

got 8 fines before the 1st one even arrived !!
Not overly impressed !!
got 4 of them wiped, but had to pay the other 4 :(
320 rwkw, 810 nm torque, 280rwkw @3000 rpm !! :thebirds:
Now for sale
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11296772

Thanks to Snort Performance, Headsex and CVE
Street car DeTomaso Pantera
Drag car 1995 Mustang, Haleys Comet ( It's back !)
Power by CVE
Melbourne's first SNIPER Tuner :
Now tuning E series
Mr. CVE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2009, 12:14 AM   #9
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

One thing I have noticed on the Eastlink, it is so easy to go over the limit when joining it, before setting the cruise control. I have had to go whoa, and hope I wasnt pinged. Must be the smooth surface coupled with having several lanes which makes it seem I'm travelling slower than I actually am. And my BA runs so well.
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2009, 01:10 AM   #10
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

And also the fact that there is no real traffic to 'go with the flow' The Cameras are under the Wellington Rd and Dandenong By Pass Bridges so I always slow down under these ...... even if I have the cruise on. I just cant trust them.

| [/url] |

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 05-01-2009, 04:08 AM   #11
iCat
doof doof doof doof

i heard that in early December last year 3AW was doing an investigation into a particular cam on eastlink (not sure which one but i think the Wellington Rd bridge) that appeared to be giving false high readings, a lot at 108kph. i just did a quick google and there doesn't appear to be any results as yet.

i know that there was one caller who's missus' scooter copped a fine; he reckoned that with her on it it couldn't get to 100kph, let alone for what she got done for (108 again i think). he was going to bring it in to 3AW to have it tested.
iCat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2009, 02:44 PM   #12
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCat
i heard that in early December last year 3AW was doing an investigation into a particular cam on eastlink (not sure which one but i think the Wellington Rd bridge) that appeared to be giving false high readings, a lot at 108kph. i just did a quick google and there doesn't appear to be any results as yet.

i know that there was one caller who's missus' scooter copped a fine; he reckoned that with her on it it couldn't get to 100kph, let alone for what she got done for (108 again i think). he was going to bring it in to 3AW to have it tested.
20,000 fines were issued in 1 month with something like 90% at 108 on the Wellington rd underpass (slight guess as I cant recall the exact figures). 3AW did enquire about it but the powers that be came back and said they are working fine ........ of course.

That person who rang about the scooter turned out to be a hoax.

| [/url] |

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 05-01-2009, 02:54 PM   #13
dusty86

I took my car on the on the 25th of september and got my late toll invoice on new years eve, bit slow
dusty86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2009, 03:00 PM   #14
Spanrz
Hmmmmmmm!!

Ok guys. I'm going to add my 2 bucks worth.

From my previous posting..(READ IT)..... A few months ago ( http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...9&postcount=32 )

Whilst I believe a lot of people do have issues with the speed cameras (full stop) on eastlink, I don't.

I am a usual user of Eastlink and regularly go through the Greens road camera. Not so much of the Welly road one.
But I have never been fined for doing over 100k's (including the welly road one). Even with my speedo on 107k's, which I know is mathmatically correct to 100k's.

I have even checked my speed by 2 GPS units, timing through the toll gates, measuring the rolling diameter of the tyres, etc etc.

The best way to know for sure, if you want my true method. Here it is.

(It is better to have a Breeze account / tag in the car to be 100% accurate, but a keen hand with a stop watch could just be close enough.)
  1. You need to head south on Eastlink.
  2. You need to be on Eastlink before the Monash Fwy, or get on to Eastlink at the Monash.
  3. Do your 100k's via your speedo at this point.
  4. Just after the Monash Underpass, about a 300-400 metres, is a gantry toll point.
  5. Hit the gantry doing 100 and click the stopwatch.
  6. At the Greens Road gantry, stop the clock.
  7. If your car is calibrated right to 100k's via the speedo, you should have 3 minutes 3 seconds between the gantry's
  8. If you have under 3 minutes 3 seconds, you were doing over 100k's
  9. If over 3 minutes 3 seconds you were doing under 100k's.
Now you if have an Eastlink tag, you can correlate your speed between the gantry's, via the time posted on your invoices (or reading them online via Eastlinks website).
This is documented evidence if you were going over or under the speed limit.

If the Police / Eastlink dispute it saying it's not 100% correct then the whole camera, tollgate system is a complete farce.
I don't think that it would be in Eastlink's mind to have it being a farce.
So in a court of law, that timing would be allowed to be submitted for evidence.

EDIT: You can try other Gantry Toll points between smaller distances, but I didn't measure them (in between gates)

Last edited by Spanrz; 05-01-2009 at 03:08 PM.
Spanrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2009, 03:09 PM   #15
star11
Starter Motor

Default Detection equipment is not accurate at all

I got done at Dandenong bypass at 112km/hr. The usual speed alert devices were set GPS/vehicle set to 100km/hr. I have written an objection letter to them with signed stat decs from all passengers - not sure if that is going to help at all but worth a shot... I know for a fact I was not speeding, all of us were talking about the eastlink freeway and even talked about the cameras.

A work mate of mine knows the guy who installs these systems. He claims the systems are accurate immediately after being installed, however he personally knows that after many vehicles have been through the detection device they aren't as reliable (the strips in the road get worn out I think?).

It's easy enough for them to say they are working fine. It's a technology and technology can have problems at some point. If they turn around and say the cameras are not working properly then they will look like fools and they know that!
star11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2009, 03:14 PM   #16
Spanrz
Hmmmmmmm!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by star11
It's easy enough for them to say they are working fine. It's a technology and technology can have problems at some point. If they turn around and say the cameras are not working properly then they will look like fools and they know that!
True, but beat them at their game, prove it to them, that doing 100 in your car is actually 100.
You have to prove it "mathematically". That's the only way they will listen.

Do your sums, check distances, check timings then you'll know who's wrong and who's right?

Maybe do a youtube vid.??????? Maybe I'll do one.
Spanrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2009, 06:44 PM   #17
Ralliart
2011 A New Fresh Start

i know wellington Rd Bridge have done a S**** of fines : :
Old 05-01-2009, 08:21 PM   #18
yakcam
I drank what?

A little OT but we've just rented a house in Frankston while our house is up for sale in Donvale (It's a try before we buy type deal) We've traveled it several times in the last couple of weeks and I really think that Eastlink could handle being a 110kph zone.

I think that it could solve Eastlink's lack of traffic and (there is absolutely no substance in this next statement) might reduce speeding drivers as they're already going fast enough? I know, I know, I'm a :

Cheers,

Kraig
Old 05-01-2009, 08:29 PM   #19
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've traveled on Eastlink twice a day from start to almost the tunnel @ 100kph in my Mazda without a fine. I also travel the same trip in a truck sitting on the speed limiter without recieving any fines. During my travels I've giggled at the amount of people passing me. and watched 100's of people doing 110kph on Eastlink. One of the best was a young woman still on p's doing the best part of 120-130kph in her Alfa 156 rofl.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2009, 08:36 PM   #20
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive traveled eastlink dozens and dozens of times through those offending points at all times of the day and night and never been fined.. I must have been lucky right?
But then again i didn't exceed 108kph....

Old 05-01-2009, 09:20 PM   #21
XR8GRL