Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 28-04-2020, 12:13 PM   #2341
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 
Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
That's not what I said.
This is what you said

VaChina knows this is a synthetic virus developed in a lab

So it's either a bat virus that infected humans or it is a synthetic virus... or maybe not... we will see
Old 28-04-2020, 12:15 PM   #2342
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
How does Bluetooth know how far you are away from another device?

Surely it logs all interactions, not just 15 minutes or more.

A person coughing and wheezing is is going to be punched in the face long before 15 minutes even if they hang around someone from 3 meters away.
My understanding is that your phone can detect the power level of the BT signal and it also gathers the phone make and model and uses that info to work out the proximity.
Old 28-04-2020, 12:19 PM   #2343
superyob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
My understanding is that your phone can detect the power level of the BT signal and it also gathers the phone make and model and uses that info to work out the proximity.
Can phones making BT contact extract other info from each other???
Old 28-04-2020, 12:31 PM   #2344
guzzis3
AU3 ute EL futura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post
What a silly boy you are.

The app is to be used to contact people who have come into close contact with someone who has tested positive for Covid Virus. The info is retained for 3 weeks.

If you would rather not know then that's your call.

What exactly do you think the govmint can do with your info that Google can't already do?
You don't read too well do you ?

I'm not buying a newer phone.

App is useless if the phone is at home while I'm out. Even if I remember ed teh phone would I remember to turn on bluetooth ? Almost certainly not.

The only thing the lockdown has changed for me is our weekly outing to the pictures and lunch. I am fundamentally anti social.

Nowhere did I express concern about being tracked. I pointed out it's harder to track me than most people. Until this I always paid cash, and google can't track me if my phone is at home. They track my internet because I can't be bothered switching on my vpn very often. Every now and then I clear my cookies. Meh...

Also the political sniping is getting old. It's diluting the signal to noise on this thread. Try to make it funny or something otherwise f it off somewhere else.

We know you are fanatical cultists, we know you can't but help perpetuate your crusades, but if you must do it here at least try to make it entertaining.
Old 28-04-2020, 12:34 PM   #2345
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
Thanks kindly!
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
This user likes this post:
Old 28-04-2020, 12:55 PM   #2346
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

China seem awful nervous about investigations into this virus if it just came from a “Bat” in a wet market that has been investigated independently and shown to not sell bats..

Economic sanctions, clearly CCP supporting members commenting all over social media news articles blaming the USA, seeming to hold some kind of leverage over the WHO.

If they aren’t guilty of anything they are doing a great job of making it look otherwise.
7 users like this post:
Old 28-04-2020, 12:55 PM   #2347
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by superyob View Post
Can phones making BT contact extract other info from each other???
Only if explicitly allowed by the app but then the phones themselves have controls on what that app can access.

So basically, for this app, the only info passed is a unique identifier of the app on the other phone and phone model and power level.
Old 28-04-2020, 01:05 PM   #2348
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzis3 View Post

App is useless if the phone is at home while I'm out. Even if I remember ed teh phone would I remember to turn on bluetooth ? Almost certainly not.

The only thing the lockdown has changed for me is our weekly outing to the pictures and lunch. I am fundamentally anti social.

Nowhere did I express concern about being tracked. I pointed out it's harder to track me than most people. Until this I always paid cash, and google can't track me if my phone is at home. They track my internet because I can't be bothered switching on my vpn very often. Every now and then I clear my cookies. Meh...

Also the political sniping is getting old. It's diluting the signal to noise on this thread. Try to make it funny or something otherwise f it off somewhere else.

We know you are fanatical cultists, we know you can't but help perpetuate your crusades, but if you must do it here at least try to make it entertaining.
So you have a immobile phone?
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Old 28-04-2020, 01:05 PM   #2349
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
Was listening to Trump and Pence at their daily briefing....

Trump’s response to the origins of C19... “this happened because of incompetence or it happened because of something else, we will see which”
Sounds like a shortened version of Donald Rumsfeld's 'known knowns'

"Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know.

We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns—the ones we don't know we don't know."
Old 28-04-2020, 01:14 PM   #2350
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Quote:
There are things known,
And things unknown,
And in between are the Doors
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lS-af9Q-zvQ
Old 28-04-2020, 01:31 PM   #2351
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Sounds like a shortened version of Donald Rumsfeld's 'known knowns'

"Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know.

We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns—the ones we don't know we don't know."
It sounds silly but on dissection it was quite an incisive statement.
Old 28-04-2020, 01:36 PM   #2352
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool View Post
So you have a immobile phone?
Also known as 'landline'
2 users like this post:
Old 28-04-2020, 02:41 PM   #2353
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

The app is just fabulous

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2020/0...safe_analysis/
Old 28-04-2020, 02:58 PM   #2354
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
Quote:
The authors conclude the app is not an immediate danger to users. But they do say it presents “serious privacy problems if we consider the central authority to be an adversary.”

I'm going to go with accepting the government are doing this in good faith, backed up with the knowledge I can delete it any time I like.
Old 28-04-2020, 03:11 PM   #2355
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
I'm going to go with accepting the government are doing this in good faith, backed up with the knowledge I can delete it any time I like.
Many things are done with good intentions, but there are always unintended consequences. You didn't need to be Einstien to know there would be inherent risks with this technology.

Unfortunately, GovCo will wallpaper over this with their usual "safest most secure". And yeah pigs fly !
3 users like this post:
Old 28-04-2020, 03:41 PM   #2356
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzis3 View Post

FMD!

guzzis3 the entertainment critic has nailed me.

I need to up my meds so I can fight back, after a few rums of course.
5 users like this post:
Old 28-04-2020, 03:51 PM   #2357
superyob
Banned

Quote:
FMD!

Bacardi, Bundy, Beenleigh, Captain Morgan???

Have you seen Franco's file yet???
2 users like this post:
Old 28-04-2020, 03:56 PM   #2358
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by superyob View Post
Bacardi, Bundy, Beenleigh, Captain Morgan???
Yes
Old 28-04-2020, 04:53 PM   #2359
guzzis3
AU3 ute EL futura

Quote:
FMD!

Don't bring it near me, I'm allergic to rum. All other spirits gratefully accepted, except bad whiskey....

Speaking of which it's 4pm, time to get medicinal....

Am I the only one bored with the relentless pro trump/anti trump sniping ?

It's not like he matters, nor bojo (I so want to add letters to that) scomo et al....
Old 28-04-2020, 05:48 PM   #2360
Trevor 57
is now there

Is it just me or have others noticed that the Labor States are having lower numbers than the Liberal States (pro-rata of course)
Old 28-04-2020, 05:55 PM   #2361
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
Is it just me or have others noticed that the Labor States are having lower numbers than the Liberal States (pro-rata of course)
? they are ? SA is liberal / not that I follow any party or promote them

Old 28-04-2020, 06:05 PM   #2362
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC View Post
? they are ? SA is liberal / not that I follow any party or promote them

Yes, we are a Liberal State, however, Steve Marshall is a Labor plant who once told his constituents on the eve of an election to vote Labor.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/fede...314-34rom.html
Old 28-04-2020, 06:27 PM   #2363
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
China threatening economic repercussions for Australia wanting investigation into China's handling of the pandemic:

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sto...alian-imports/

https://www.bangkokpost.com/world/19...inquest-demand

China can GAGF and so can all the universities who grovel at their feed.
I'm happy the government has not rolled over on this yet and I reckon now is probaby a better time to call China on it and take our own action if neccessary. They trade with us because it is beneficial to them too.

The economy is in bad shape anyway and the public sentiment from what I can tell is very much on the side of backing govermnent. Don't waste that.

There needs to be an investigation and using the economy to pressure us to back off (which they have done before but never such as this) has only ****ed people off more.
Old 28-04-2020, 06:40 PM   #2364
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG17 View Post
Two interesting articles about kids and the virus.
It appears the early notion that kids don't get it is falling apart.

https://blog.crushthecurve.today/chi...IDYZWFC6W2_N8w
https://www.weteachwell.com/pm-gasli...bXYNmWKzj3R_Tk

It's amazing how strict the authoritarian styled social distancing is until it comes to schools.

"We will fine you $1000+ if you visit a family member you don't live with, even if you maintain social distancing while seeing them. But get 30 random people from 30 random families and put them in a small room and it's all good. Even better when you get multiple people from these families and put them in with different groups of 30, mix up that contact as much as possible. Well, as long as the word "School" is written on the outside of the building, we're not stupid"

Rules only matter when it works in the governments favour.

Just a side note I'm not against the current restrictions. What I don't like is the inconsistency of both the Australian and NSW governments.

I have been obeying all social distancing regulations since this started. I only go out to get groceries and go to work. While at work I keep away from people and I'm always cleaning everything obsessively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
ter.

AFP already has a habit of raiding the media every time something inconvenient for the government surfaces and as such our democracy has dropped from open democracy to narrowed:

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/the-feed...en-to-narrowed

What does CIVICUS know. All they did was write a 45 page global report.

Some people on a forum were throwing around personal insults about tinfoil hats. I know who I trust.

Last edited by Ben73; 28-04-2020 at 06:52 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 28-04-2020, 09:22 PM   #2365
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

There are some pretty slick tin foil hat designs around, once you start looking. Fedoras, yarmulkes, centurion helmets... Like the duct tape wallet, it sort of reclaims the territory.

I wonder how hard it is to spoof a Bluetooth signal.
Old 28-04-2020, 10:16 PM   #2366
superyob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
There are some pretty slick tin foil hat designs around, once you start looking. Fedoras, yarmulkes, centurion helmets... Like the duct tape wallet, it sort of reclaims the territory.

I wonder how hard it is to spoof a Bluetooth signal.
I'll have mine in flared top hat configuration thanks CB...
2 users like this post:
Old 28-04-2020, 10:20 PM   #2367
CJR09
RPO 77

Q: If you have tried to sell it three times now and it is still not sold, do you think it might be over-priced?

A: It is over priced - just like all the other falcon coupes for sale!!

5 users like this post:
Old 28-04-2020, 10:37 PM   #2368
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Western Spy Agencies Investigating Wuhan Scientist
by Tyler Durden, Tue, 28/04/2020 - 04:04

Western intelligence agencies are “looking closely at the work of a senior scientist at the Wuhan Institute of Virology, Peng Zhou,” as part of a joint international investigation into the origins of COVID-19, according to the Daily Telegraph.

In a stunning expose, the Australian newspaper reports that “the Five Eyes intelligence agencies of Australia, Canada, NZ, UK and US, are understood to be looking closely at the work of a senior scientist at the Wuhan Institute of Virology, Peng Zhou, as they examine whether COVID-19 originated from a wet market or whether the naturally-occurring virus may have been released from the level four laboratory in Wuhan that was studying deadly coronavirus pathogens from bats.”

As we reported in January – posting publicly available professional contact information and suggesting people ask him about the outbreak near his lab – Peng, head of the Bat Virus Infection and Immunization Group, sought to hire two post-doc fellows last November, who would be tasked with using bats “to research the molecular mechanism that allows Ebola and SARS-associated coronaviruses to lie dormant for a long time without causing diseases.”

One press release from his lab was titled: “How bats carry viruses without getting sick.” Via the Telegraph:

It can be revealed that Zhou — the head of the Bat Virus Infection and Immunity Project at the Wuhan Institute of Virology — spent three years at the bio-containment facility, Australian Animal Health Laboratory between 2011 and 2014, where he was sent by China to complete his doctorate.

During this time, Zhou arranged for wild-caught bats to be transported alive by air from Queensland to the Australian Animal Health Laboratory in Victoria where they were euthanised for dissection and studied for deadly viruses.

His work was funded jointly by the CSIRO and the Chinese Academy of Sciences.

It examined bat immunology and the role of interferons and how “bats are rich reservoirs for emerging viruses, including many that are highly pathogenic to humans and other mammals” and “many of which cause significant morbidity and mortality in humans and other mammals.”

Western intelligence is also looking into the work of the original “Bat Woman” Shi Zhengli, a colleague of Zhou who is the director of the Center for Emerging Infectious Diseases at the Wuhan Institute of Virology.

As we reported in February, Shi notably co-authored a controversial paper in 2015 which described the creation of a new virus by combining a coronavirus found in Chinese horseshoe bats with another that causes human-like severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) in mice. This research sparked a huge debate at the time over whether engineering lab variants of viruses with possible pandemic potential is worth the risks.

As Nature.com reported in 2015, the findings reinforce suspicions that bat coronaviruses capable of directly infecting humans (rather than first needing to evolve in an intermediate animal host) may be more common than previously thought, the researchers say.

Zhengli also spent time in Australia as a visiting scientist for three months from February 22 to May 21, 2006 where she worked at the CSIRO’s top-level Australian Animal Health Laboratory.

She used faecal samples of horseshoe bats to identify that they were the natural host for SARS-like coronaviruses. -Daily Telegraph

Meanwhile, the Wall Street Journal reported earlier this month that researchers at the WIV had collected bats in a cave over 1,000 miles away in Yunnan which carried COVID-19.

Also disturbing is that the lab had been operating in part on a $3.7 million grant from the US government.

The Mail on Sunday has learned that scientists there experimented on bats as part of a project funded by the US National Institutes of Health, which continues to licence the Wuhan laboratory to receive American money for experiments. –Daily Mail

In mid-April, the Washington Post reported that the US State Department received two cables from US Embassy officials in 2018 warning of inadequate safety at Wuhan Institute of Virology, which was conducting ‘risky studies’ on bat coronaviruses, according to the report – which notes that the cables have “fueled discussions inside the U.S. government about whether this or another Wuhan lab was the source of the virus.”

According to the Telegraph, the revelation comes as Australian politicians are ramping up pressure on China to cooperate with the international investigation into the origins of the novel coronavirus. Accroding to Andrew Hastie, Chair of the Parliamentary Joint Committee on Intelligence and Security, “The Chinese Communist Party must take responsibility for the virus that began inside their borders and work with the rest of the world to prevent it from happening again. We are simply asking for transparency and co-operation.”

Australia’s official position is that the virus likely originated in the Wuhan wet market, however they are now considering whether the virus escaped fom the Wuhan Institute of Virology due to human error – a theory which US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo endorsed last week when he told Fox News: “Look, we know it began at one [lab], but we need to figure this out.”

(https://www.zerohedge.com/health/fiv...-hedge-january)
Old 28-04-2020, 10:37 PM   #2369
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tin foil this:

https://human.globalincidentmap.com/
Old 29-04-2020, 02:17 AM   #2370
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Daily Telegraph aka The Daily Terrorgraph aka The Campbelltown Financial Review
Closed Thread