Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 03:39 AM   #1
dirty_harry

Default ebay scam?

hey. i am currently advertising my xy gt rep on ebay and gumtree. after the add only being on there for a couple of hours i got a text from a malaysian phone number saying "i want to know if your vehicle on gumtree is still up for sale as i intend to buy it right away. plz email me" she also left her phone number. the email conversation followed

Gerald Edwards to katie
show details 3:50 PM (8 hours ago)
Hi harry davies here. Yes the car is still available.

katie Meyers to me
show details 3:58 PM (8 hours ago)
Hello,
Thanks for the swift reply, I am pleased with your price but I want you to get back to me with more pictures of the (interior,engine and the exterior) of this vehicle because i am presently in Malaysia on business and could not come over to check it out,but no worries as i am willing to handle the pick up of this vehicle through a legitimate shipping agent that has their headquarter situated in Malaysia, it will be picked up after payment, so i really need to know the mode of payment because i need this vehicle urgently. Hope to read from you asap

gerald edwards to katie
show details 5:33 PM (7 hours ago)
just to let you know there is a little rust in the drivers foot well, the boot and the rear window and i cut treated and bogged some of the panels for rust. the paint isn't perfect and the car has no carpet, door trims or passenger seat. the best way to pay is if i gave you my bsb and account number and you put the money directly into my account. I'm not sure how we would transfer the licence into your name because the transfer of ownership form requires both signatures. the only thing i can think of is if i hand the plates in and send the car unregistered.
cheers.

katie Meyers to me
show details 6:11 PM (6 hours ago)
Thanks for the fast reply but i want you to know that I can only conclude this transaction only via PayPal,i have been cheated via cheque and bank transfer before,that is the reason why i selected PayPal (www.paypal.com.au) as a mode of payment because PayPal is the best online payment,so both of us could be on the safer side,i am a woman of integrity.i am honest and don`t cheat people out of their money. awaiting your decision because i really need to pursue this buy sincerely.
Thanks

gerald edwards to katie
show details 11:56 PM (40 minutes ago)
ok pay pal should be fine. what about the transfer of registration

im not to sure on this one what do you guys recon

Old 07-07-2011, 04:31 AM   #2
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

Thumbs down Re: ebay scam?

Difficult decision mate, it could go either way! I would get in contact with Paypal and see what they suggest. They are pretty good with security but not sure what they cover purchases up to. They deal enough to know if the account is a scam.

Cheers
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia

Last edited by V3RSAC3; 07-07-2011 at 04:35 AM. Reason: Punctuality
Old 07-07-2011, 05:01 AM   #3
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: ebay scam?

Scam written all over it.
Do a search for some other examples that have occurred in the past.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:02 AM   #4
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Scam written all over it.
Do a search for some other examples that have occurred in the past.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:14 AM   #5
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's highly unusual for a scam to offer to pay through Paypal though...usually they run a mile when you mention payment only accepted through Paypal, because of the security and traceability of the transaction. Also, once they pay you, you have their money. The "usual" scam is when they offer to pay a small deposit and ask you to organise shipping and they "promise" to pay the rest through something like Western Union. That sort of thing gets alarm bells ringing.

If anything, she seems wary of you when you offered to give her your bank account details to pay the money into, and she wants to only use Paypal. Putting money directly into someones bank can be OK on Ebay, but it isn't recommended...traceability again.

Seems legitimate, but contact Paypal and ask...they'll know if there's anything fishy going on.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:54 AM   #6
redauxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

SCAM... My sister was scammed with the exact same email just different location and name.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:01 AM   #7
KuRT12

This is definitely a scam, as suggested above google for some examples.

I have had this message many times from selling machinery online, its they are out at sea, or working in the mines or some excuse they cant view it.. but always the same message.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:03 AM   #8
Springfield_Johny

The link in her email for paypal will be a scam site that could allow some kind of virus/spyware into your computer. Never open links from unknown sources.

And it's her that should be paying you so how is she going to get ripped off? This sounds a bit like a mate, they asked him to deposi money for transport and insurance.

Don't let the car out of your site until any payments are cleared and never provide your personal details such as account info no matter how genuine the buyer seems

Daily drive 2010 Mitsubishi triton single cab turbo diesel

1968 XT Falcon (project yet to be started)
Old 07-07-2011, 06:15 AM   #9
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E[I
It's highly unusual for a scam to offer to pay through Paypal though...[/I]usually they run a mile when you mention payment only accepted through Paypal, because of the security and traceability of the transaction. Also, once they pay you, you have their money. The "usual" scam is when they offer to pay a small deposit and ask you to organise shipping and they "promise" to pay the rest through something like Western Union. That sort of thing gets alarm bells ringing.

If anything, she seems wary of you when you offered to give her your bank account details to pay the money into, and she wants to only use Paypal. Putting money directly into someones bank can be OK on Ebay, but it isn't recommended...traceability again.

Seems legitimate, but contact Paypal and ask...they'll know if there's anything fishy going on.
Actually Paypal scams are very common and have been going for quite some time....

Paypal Scam

Google Paypal Scams

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
Old 07-07-2011, 06:15 AM   #10
Dave3911

100% Scam. dont reply anymore, move on with life.

I suggest you google the sentence "i am a woman of integrity.i am honest and don`t cheat people out of their money." You'll find hundreds of similar forum threads on all sorts of different websites. They use the same emails over and over again.

The scam initially starts out wanting you to go through paypal, but quickly turns to the usual western union shenanigans.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:24 AM   #11
V8falcons
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Scam mate,don't proceed.

the paypal link will be dodgy.
unless "katie" can knock on your door and offer you cash forget it.

or have a little play with them,for fun!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-07-2011, 08:10 AM   #12
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty_harry
hey. i am currently advertising my xy gt rep on ebay and gumtree. after the add only being on there for a couple of hours i got a text from a malaysian phone number saying "i want to know if your vehicle on gumtree is still up for sale as i intend to buy it right away. plz email me" she also left her phone number. the email conversation followed

Gerald Edwards to katie
show details 3:50 PM (8 hours ago)
Hi harry davies here. Yes the car is still available.

katie Meyers to me
show details 3:58 PM (8 hours ago)
Hello,
Thanks for the swift reply, I am pleased with your price but I want you to get back to me with more pictures of the (interior,engine and the exterior) of this vehicle because i am presently in Malaysia on business and could not come over to check it out,but no worries as i am willing to handle the pick up of this vehicle through a legitimate shipping agent that has their headquarter situated in Malaysia, it will be picked up after payment, so i really need to know the mode of payment because i need this vehicle urgently. Hope to read from you asap

gerald edwards to katie
show details 5:33 PM (7 hours ago)
just to let you know there is a little rust in the drivers foot well, the boot and the rear window and i cut treated and bogged some of the panels for rust. the paint isn't perfect and the car has no carpet, door trims or passenger seat. the best way to pay is if i gave you my bsb and account number and you put the money directly into my account. I'm not sure how we would transfer the licence into your name because the transfer of ownership form requires both signatures. the only thing i can think of is if i hand the plates in and send the car unregistered.
cheers.

katie Meyers to me
show details 6:11 PM (6 hours ago)
Thanks for the fast reply but i want you to know that I can only conclude this transaction only via PayPal,i have been cheated via cheque and bank transfer before,that is the reason why i selected PayPal (www.paypal.com.au) as a mode of payment because PayPal is the best online payment,so both of us could be on the safer side,i am a woman of integrity.i am honest and don`t cheat people out of their money. awaiting your decision because i really need to pursue this buy sincerely.
Thanks

gerald edwards to katie
show details 11:56 PM (40 minutes ago)
ok pay pal should be fine. what about the transfer of registration

im not to sure on this one what do you guys recon
Her agent can pay cash on collection , it is a theft attempt via paypal
Old 07-07-2011, 08:30 AM   #13
dags41v
Black 2006 XR8

Paypal may be secure but it errs on the side of the purchaser. All the buyer needs to do is pay via paypal, dispute they received the item or the condition of the item and the transaction is reversed and you will have a debit balance in your paypal account, then YOU need to prove they received the item, condition etc. Then paypal will start chasing you for the cash.
I have been stung a couple of times when selling on ebay so I no longer accept paypal. I know you have to have it as one of your options to list an item but I then write in the payment notes that I only accept bank deposit.

Cheers
Old 07-07-2011, 09:05 AM   #14
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Katie meyers? name has been used before on adds on evil bay which were scams.....

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Old 07-07-2011, 09:24 AM   #15
kempy311
BEN

Scam for sure seen it many times
My Thread. The new whip: 2014 FGX XR8 Auto in victory gold. Mods : BMC air filter, 1500cc injectors, Walbro 485, 58mm kpm snout, kpm intercooler, 35% front and 20% rear tint, pedders supercar coilovers, whiteline sway bars, Phillips HIDs, lenso d1r wheels.
331rwkw.
12.7 sec stock as a rock with a passenger.
Now with 620rwhp ready to run the 10

built zf, built tailshaft, corn juice all to come.

The old rig: 2008 FG XR8 Auto in dash green with a tonne of mods to make 311rwkw.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:32 AM   #16
jcxr
Tribal Elder

Run away from the deal, as fast as you can...............SCAM!
Old 07-07-2011, 09:57 AM   #17
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just reinforcing what everyone else said, it is a scam.
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:31 AM   #18
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
It's highly unusual for a scam to offer to pay through Paypal though...usually they run a mile when you mention payment only accepted through Paypal, because of the security and traceability of the transaction. Also, once they pay you, you have their money.
Here is HOW the paypal scams work
The buyer (or scamer) pays an amount into your paypal account
This will be lets say 10K for the car and an addition lets say $800 for shipping
The scamer (or buyer in disguise) asks you to pay this addition $800 into an account of their choice
So they deposit $10,800 into your paypal account and put a freeze on it
Yep its there but you cant have it
When you pay this addition $800 into their account of choice,you contact them think that your money in your paypal account will be released to you
But its not
They take your $800, then they contact paypal and get their $10,800 back
Scam done

There not now or ever interested in the car, truck,bus or whatever

So now you see how paypal is used to scam people
Old 07-07-2011, 10:53 AM   #19
krzysiek

Sorry mate didn't read the whole thread. SCAM. PayPal was mentioned - at that point you RUN. PayPal bends over backwards for buyers, for sellers... forget about it. They'd rather **** you over. I have a LOT of experience with eBay and dealing with PayPal, have been using them for many years now and this is a definite scam.

You might receive your money, but as soon as there is confirmation the car has been shipped your money will be in dispute and you won't be seeing it again. Ever.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:23 AM   #20
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Ebay = ScamBay. Move on.
As for PayPal; it's the currency of choice for the internet scammer.

Of course, this is after ******* Union was lambasted for being the home of the Nigerian and Namybian scammer.

If you want to sell it, wait for some guy to turn up on your doorstep with cash. If it sounds too good to be true then believe me, it is.

Quote: